For discussions about the new CBS Magnum P.I. reboot

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

Re: Magnum Reboot CANCELED

#31 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

ConchRepublican wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 9:48 pm
Luther's nephew Dobie wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 5:46 am
ConchRepublican wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 7:27 pm With less than 100 episodes aired (86 aired, 10 more filmed but not aired) I assume this will not be available for syndication as well?
That used to be the rule of thumb but no more, though it is still the desired number to produce to be most profitable in reruns. In any event if your count of 96 is correct that's just about 100 anyway.
So the reboot is going to be seen for years to come, hopefully not at the expense of the older Classic Magnum being rerun.
Look at how many series - especially on cable - just make 10 or 12 episodes a year now, which is not unusual at all overseas.
In Australia, because it is a far smaller market, series get government subsidies/tax rebates.
When the wildly popular Sea Patrol hit 65 episodes, the cash and the loan of Australian Navy vessels/equipment ran out so the producers had to end it with a mere 68 episodes,
though it's still popular at home and overseas. On You Tube.
Same for the outstanding Sea Change - it was likely inspired by Northern Exposure, they could have called it Southern Exposure - which many put in the top 5 Aussie series of all time.
It has 47 episodes, beautifully filmed on the Victoria coast and the writing and acting and music is superb, especially with the advent of season two.
The season 3 episode "Blowing in The Wind" has a beautiful scene with a character describing what Blues/Jazz music means to him, with a song "Breath" by the fictional Bones Blaxwell
(series composer Richard Pleasance) that will haunt you. I can't understand why no one in our music scene hasn't covered it, or 'sampled' it at least.

As it's very dinki di, fair dinkum Aussie in it's outlook, many European markets did't "get" Sea Change but Americans and Canadians should have no problem with it's nuances.
Summer reruns are here, new series won't be arriving in September or maybe even by Christmas, so check oul some Australian TV.
Instead of viewing yet another studio bound retread Law & Order for the 20th year, check out the Sydney set "Water Rats" about coppers fighting crime around beautiful Sydney Harbour.
But I digress.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"If it's not true don't say it. If it's not yours don't take it and if it's not right don't do it"...James Drury's family motto, handed down from his Old West frontiersman grandfather
I guess if the H5O reboot is in syndication (though it was on many years longer) I'm guessing someone may try and syndicate this as well. My hope is those ratings will be less than an infomercial and this show will fade, leaving the true MPI for people to continue to enjoy.
I think most shows today are difficult to syndicate because even with the network shows they are all very heavily serialized with ongoing story arcs. This includes the Lenkov reboots as well. Tuning into some random episode here and there might not make much sense. Today's shows are basically made for binge watching which I think is a shame. A human being is not meant to vegetate on his couch 24/7 watching all these shows from beginning to end. Television is supposed to be a diversion/entertainment for folks to spend some of their downtime (as it was when we were growing up), not to be a way of life. You're not meant to come home from work, plop yourself in front of the tube, and stay glued to it until 3am. And then at 7am you have to get up for work! :shock:

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#32 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 3:27 pm
ConchRepublican wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 7:27 pm With less than 100 episodes aired (86 aired, 10 more filmed but not aired) I assume this will not be available for syndication as well?
That used to be the rule of thumb but no more, though it is still the desired number to produce to be most profitable in reruns. In any event if your count of 96 is correct that's just about 100 anyway.
So the reboot is going to be seen for years to come, hopefully not at the expense of the older Classic Magnum being rerun.
Look at how many series - especially on cable - just make 10 or 12 episodes a year now, which is not unusual at all overseas.
In Australia, because it is a far smaller market, series get government subsidies/tax rebates.
When the wildly popular Sea Patrol hit 65 episodes, the cash and the loan of Australian Navy vessels/equipment ran out so the producers had to end it with a mere 68 episodes,
Same for the outstanding Sea Change - it was likely inspired by Northern Exposure, they could have called it Southern Exposure - which many put in the top 5 Aussie series of all time.
It has 47 episodes, beautifully filmed on the Victoria coast and the writing and acting and music is superb, especially with the advent of season two.
The season 3 episode "Blowing in The Wind" has a beautiful scene with a character describing what Blues/Jazz music means to him, with a song "Breath" by the fictional Bones Blaxwell
(series composer Richard Pleasance) that will haunt you. I can't understand why no one in our music scene hasn't covered it, or 'sampled' it at least.

As it's very dinki di, fair dinkum Aussie in it's outlook, many European markets did't "get" Sea Change but Americans and Canadians should have no problem with it's nuances.
Summer reruns are here, new series won't be arriving in September or maybe even by Christmas, so check oul some Australian TV.
Instead of viewing yet another studio bound retread Law & Order for the 20th year, check out the Sydney set "Water Rats" about coppers fighting crime around beautiful Sydney Harbour.
But I digress.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"If it's not true don't say it. If it's not yours don't take it and if it's not right don't do it"...James Drury's family motto, handed down from his Old West frontiersman grandfather
I guess if the H5O reboot is in syndication (though it was on many years longer) I'm guessing someone may try and syndicate this as well. My hope is those ratings will be less than an infomercial and this show will fade, leaving the true MPI for people to continue to enjoy.
I think most shows today are difficult to syndicate because even with the network shows they are all very heavily serialized with ongoing story arcs. This includes the Lenkov reboots as well. Tuning into some random episode here and there might not make much sense. Today's shows are basically made for binge watching which I think is a shame. A human being is not meant to vegetate on his couch 24/7 watching all these shows from beginning to end. Television is supposed to be a diversion/entertainment for folks to spend some of their downtime (as it was when we were growing up), not to be a way of life. You're not meant to come home from work, plop yourself in front of the tube, and stay glued to it until 3am. And then at 7am you have to get up for work! :shock:
I concur with you 100%. There are a lot of series I have never watched because I don't to make the commitment to an extended story arc on a series, as I might be wasting my time on over hyped junk.
As opposed to a series with self contained episodes which I can easily judge by a couple of episodes. I don't need to watch 10 episodes to see that "Nash Bridges" is a solid, well made series
with a sense of humor and entertaining guest stars like Steve Austin who was wonderful and stole every scene he was in.
And like you say, I don't want to turn into a potted plant in front of a screen, my family turning me once a day toward the sun.

When the The Sopranos was first ran, the "ongoing story arcs" became a big drawback because it could be a year and a half or more before the next season appeared. I recall asking friends who
the various minor characters that popped up were, or what the characters were referring to as who could recall such stuff from 18 months ago.

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#33 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 3:27 pm

But I digress.
I concur with you 100%. There are a lot of series I have never watched because I don't want to make the commitment to an extended story arc on a series, as I might be wasting my time on over hyped junk.
As opposed to a series with self contained episodes which I can easily judge by a couple of episodes. I don't need to watch 10 episodes to see that "Nash Bridges" is a solid, well made series
with a sense of humor and entertaining guest stars like Steve Austin who was wonderful and stole every scene he was in.
And like you say, I don't want to turn into a potted plant in front of a screen, my family turning me once a day toward the sun.
Last edited by Luther's nephew Dobie on Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

robicurp
Lieutenant Commander

#34 Post by robicurp »

I just started watching the Reboot series. I avoided it early on for many reasons, Mainly cause I'm old and don't like change in my favorite storylines (Don't' even ask me about all the latest Starwars movies). I finally started watching the reboot with no preconceptions on how it "should be" and just take it as it is. I find it entertaining. One thing I enjoy most is the much more beautiful depiction of the background star of the show, The island of Oahu it's self. Modern cinematography and 4K HD televisions show the beauty of the island so much better than my full DVD collection of the original Magnum series can. I love every aspect of the original Magnum PI show. But I have to admit, the Hawaiian islands are a big part of my affection for the shows, original and the reboot.
On my last visit to Oahu in 2021, I visited and swam in Robin's nest lagoon. With the estate torn down and the new resident's construction well underway, I was happy to see at least Magnum's guest house had been preserved. I am thankful for that.

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#35 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

robicurp wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:40 pm I just started watching the Reboot series. I avoided it early on for many reasons, Mainly cause I'm old and don't like change in my favorite storylines (Don't' even ask me about all the latest Starwars movies). I finally started watching the reboot with no preconceptions on how it "should be" and just take it as it is. I find it entertaining. One thing I enjoy most is the much more beautiful depiction of the background star of the show, The island of Oahu it's self. Modern cinematography and 4K HD televisions show the beauty of the island so much better than my full DVD collection of the original Magnum series can. I love every aspect of the original Magnum PI show. But I have to admit, the Hawaiian islands are a big part of my affection for the shows, original and the reboot.
On my last visit to Oahu in 2021, I visited and swam in Robin's nest lagoon. With the estate torn down and the new resident's construction well underway, I was happy to see at least Magnum's guest house had been preserved. I am thankful for that.
I have to agree it does show Oahu to advantage which was a smart move. Currently I am watching the last season of Jack Lord's Hawaii Five-O and to save money they are filming more at strip malls
and boring suburban neighborhoods than in exciting downtown Honolulu or at striking vistas.
I am sooo jealous you got to swim in the lagoon. Do you think if you feigned exhaustion you could seek landfall on Pahonu and struggle onto the estate, looking so done in they'd have to let you
leave thru the grounds so you could see the guest house up close? I used to pull such shenanigans all the time when I was a kid.

Riyan17
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#36 Post by Riyan17 »

It's disheartening to hear about the cancellation of the Magnum reboot. The series held promise, blending action with nostalgia for fans of the original. While setbacks are inevitable, it's disappointing for both the cast and viewers invested in its revival. story saver Hopefully, the creators find new avenues to explore or perhaps revisit the concept in the future.

robicurp
Lieutenant Commander

#37 Post by robicurp »

There is actually a decent beach at Pahonu pond/Robin Master's estate now. So I'd have a hard time convincing the Obama's I need to come inside the property to recover from a floundering swim :D
I'd really like to know what they did to Magnums' guest house though. I wonder if its really a quest house now?

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#38 Post by Pahonu »

robicurp wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:54 pm There is actually a decent beach at Pahonu pond/Robin Master's estate now. So I'd have a hard time convincing the Obama's I need to come inside the property to recover from a floundering swim :D
I'd really like to know what they did to Magnums' guest house though. I wonder if its really a quest house now?
The “guest house” was actually a boat house, of course, and it has been saved because it is “grandfathered in” on the property. In other words, if it was demolished, nothing could be built in its place so close to the beach based on current building code. Since the sea wall has been raised in front of it, no longer allowing beach access via the ramp from the big doors on the ground level (its original function), it’s primary benefit now is the upstairs terrace allowing spectacular views of Pahonu Pond. The gatehouse remaining is also based on the fact that nothing could be built so close to the road according to current code. The use of these structures will be different than the original functions, but their existence is based on regulatory practicalities that maximize built space.

Years ago, I wrote about this topic regarding a similar structure in Laguna Beach, CA. Its value was highlighted in the marketing of a large cliff-top home because it was the last remaining structure right on the sand for storage of surfboards, paddle boards, etc…. It was literally the last such structure still there from decades earlier and if demolished, would never have been allowed to be rebuilt. It was a real asset and added to the home’s value significantly.

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#39 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

robicurp wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:54 pm There is actually a decent beach at Pahonu pond/Robin Master's estate now. So I'd have a hard time convincing the Obama's I need to come inside the property to recover from a floundering swim :D
They couldn't very well toss you back if you were struggling on all fours up onto their beach, robicurp.

I was thinking back to the summer of 5th grade when my family took the tour of Abe Lincoln's family home in Springfield, Illinois(fantastic, if one is anywhere near you should go).
I hung to the back of the tour group which moved on to another room, and sat on his black horsehair couch, it was in the open without a velvet rope around the area.
I know it was wrong but Abe was born on my birthday, he was my hero and I had read up on him since 1st grade. All I kept thinking was he had sat on it and here opportunity beckoned
with it's siren call an until now innocent me.
So I succumbed for a fast 3 seconds, it's not like I sprawled on it and read a newspaper. Sometimes you just have to take a chance.

So I gotta tell you, I LOVE Magnum PI and if I was swimming off the estate this fan would just have to hit the beach even if the reception was akin to D-Day.
Which I doubt if I faked distress and was obviously not a danger with just a bathing suit on. At worst they might give you a wedgie and send you on your way.

No use taking chances though, maybe we can talk Terry from Kerry, Ivan and Pahonu from these boards to give it a go and let us know the results.
They're good sports, after all.

Fleet Admiral

#40 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Luther's nephew Dobie wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 1:58 am
They couldn't very well toss you back if you were struggling on all fours up onto their beach, robicurp.

I was thinking back to the summer of 5th grade when my family took the tour of Abe Lincoln's family home in Springfield, Illinois(fantastic, if one is anywhere near you should go).
I hung to the back of the tour group which moved on to another room, and sat on his black horsehair couch, it was in the open without a velvet rope around the area.
I know it was wrong but Abe was born on my birthday, he was my hero and I had read up on him since 1st grade. All I kept thinking was he had sat on it and here opportunity beckoned
So I succumbed for a fast 3 seconds, it's not like I sprawled on it and read a newspaper. Sometimes you just have to take a chance.

So I gotta tell you, I LOVE Magnum PI and if I was swimming off the estate this fan would just have to hit the beach even if the reception was akin to D-Day.
Which I doubt if I faked distress and was obviously not a danger with just a bathing suit on. At worst they might give you a wedgie and send you on your way.

No use taking chances though, maybe we can talk Terry from Kerry, Ivan and Pahonu from these boards to give it a go and let us know the results.
No need to "storm" any beaches there, Dobe. :lol: Just like the tidal pool, the beach is public property. They can't kick you out if you want to lay on the sand or build sand castles or run around in your birthday suit. :wink: Now, if you climb over the wall and decide to lay on their lawn that's a different story. :| But I'm not sure how much beach there is left anymore. All the pics I've seen the water comes all the way up to the wall. No visible sand or beach in those pics. And when I took a dip there in 2018 the water was against the wall too. The only bit of sand that was exposed was around the rear steps that lead to the rear gate (as seen at the start of the pilot episode where Magnum sneaks onto the estate grounds). Of course I recreated that iconic swim and creep along that curved wall and up those steps to the rear gate. :) But that's as far as I got. :P In any case, there was virtually no beach left when I was there. It's all submerged. And that curved wall that went inward and those steps that you could run up to the rear gate are no longer there either. It's all now a solid straight wall from one end of the property to the other. So you can't recreate that iconic Magnum moment. You can have fun swimming up to the wall but that's probably about it. But who knows? Maybe at extremely low tide there is sand exposed and you can have the beach all to yourself. No one can kick you out. :)

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#41 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 9:00 pm

No need to "storm" any beaches there, Dobe. :lol: Just like the tidal pool, the beach is public property. They can't kick you out if you want to lay on the sand or build sand castles or run around in your birthday suit. :wink: Now, if you climb over the wall and decide to lay on their lawn that's a different story. :| But I'm not sure how much beach there is left anymore. All the pics I've seen the water comes all the way up to the wall. No visible sand or beach in those pics. And when I took a dip there in 2018 the water was against the wall too. The only bit of sand that was exposed was around the rear steps that lead to the rear gate (as seen at the start of the pilot episode where Magnum sneaks onto the estate grounds). Of course I recreated that iconic swim and creep along that curved wall and up those steps to the rear gate. :) But that's as far as I got. :P In any case, there was virtually no beach left when I was there. It's all submerged. And that curved wall that went inward and those steps that you could run up to the rear gate are no longer there either. It's all now a solid straight wall from one end of the property to the other. So you can't recreate that iconic Magnum moment. You can have fun swimming up to the wall but that's probably about it. But who knows? Maybe at extremely low tide there is sand exposed and you can have the beach all to yourself. No one can kick you out. :)
Ivan,
Thank you for the reconnaissance report. At the very least at low tide I would take a selfie at the tidal pool, facing out from the property. I always liked the view from there.

Fleet Admiral

#42 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Luther's nephew Dobie wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 1:37 am

Ivan,
Thank you for the reconnaissance report. At the very least at low tide I would take a selfie at the tidal pool, facing out from the property. I always liked the view from there.
It really is surreal to be there in that spot and just swimming there where good ol' Tom used to swim all the time. It's TV history! When I was there in the summer of 2018 the house was already gone but they hadn't started doing any work yet (they hadn't even put up the black tarp yet) so the seawall and the rear steps and gate were still exactly like they were on the show. So all that added to the magic. But just to lay there on the water and look up at those beautiful cliffs above Robin's Nest is magic!! Gorgeous spot for sure!!

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#43 Post by Pahonu »

The plans that were approved only called for eliminating the gate at the boathouse. They also raised the walls in certain places, but the curved walls to the steps were to remain. I can’t imagine they would eliminate this entirely as it’s a huge asset. The Shriners’ property next door does it differently, as it’s much taller, but still has beach access. That’s the primary value of the property. In some construction photos I saw, there was some sand still, I’m guessing only at low tide, but it was sand. I’m going to look for some recent photos.

Edit:
I found something better, a video.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=g77FlYMeld0

The construction is not fully finished in the clip, but the sea walls and houses are all done. It looks as though hardscaping and softscaping remain to be done. The changes to the sea wall are what the plans specified and I stated above. The part by the old main house hasn’t changed shape at all, but was reinforced from behind and looks better than before, without the cracks and rust stains from the chainlink fencing.

The section by the boathouse has risen considerably and it was the lowest section originally. The biggest change, of course is the lack of the gate. The middle section has also risen but less so. The biggest change here is the elimination of the benches from this section, the only part that had them, and the newest section of wall.

Remember, that when Mrs. Wall assembled the various properties for the estate, the two sea walls at either end were already existing and the one by the boathouse had a pier connected to it. The middle area was a large swale that drained storm water from the highway to the ocean. It was the lowest point on the property. This is why the property has an easement underneath it and a storm drain exit near the beach steps.

Some final thoughts, the new houses are much further back now based on new codes addressing sea level rise, though there still is quite a bit of sand shown. Also, the winding and very odd shape of the wall, because of its cobbled together nature, has remained. The footprint from above has not been altered in any way other than the boathouse gate being eliminated. So, I suspect at the right time of day, one might be able to recreate the opening scene pretty closely, as you did. There’s no where to sit and have flashbacks to Vietnam though. :wink:

Edit 2:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xN_VgTj1eUc

Here’s a video of the sea wall up close before it was refurbished. Damn it was in BAD shape! Worse than I remembered. According to the realtor, the main house was in even worse condition. That’s why there were no tours inside of it when it was listed for sale.

Even with the alterations to the sea walls, the future repair of the boathouse, will still provide a beautiful view over the raised seawall from the covered terrace. They can’t make major alterations to it by code because of its proximity to the beach. That’s nice to know. It will also still provide storage underneath, likely for aquatic activities, so its original function remains, though not quite as conveniently located by a direct gate to the sand.

I now wonder about the gatehouse’s future. It also can’t be significant altered by code because of its proximity to the highway. Its original function was to house five servants. It was later remodeled to function more like an actual guesthouse, by eliminating at least one bedroom to enlarge the living space downstairs. Perhaps it will be an actual guesthouse, something Pahonu never had, or an office area for Secret Service, or even a place for a caretaker when it’s not being occupied… as in Higgy-baby! :D

Sorry this got so long as I pondered!

Fleet Admiral

#44 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Pahonu wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 4:49 pm

The plans that were approved only called for eliminating the gate at the boathouse. They also raised the walls in certain places, but the curved walls to the steps were to remain. I can’t imagine they would eliminate this entirely as it’s a huge asset. The Shriners’ property next door does it differently, as it’s much taller, but still has beach access. That’s the primary value of the property. In some construction photos I saw, there was some sand still, I’m guessing only at low tide, but it was sand. I’m going to look for some recent photos.

Edit:
I found something better, a video.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=g77FlYMeld0

The construction is not fully finished in the clip, but the sea walls and houses are all done. It looks as though hardscaping and softscaping remain to be done. The changes to the sea wall are what the plans specified and I stated above. The part by the old main house hasn’t changed shape at all, but was reinforced from behind and looks better than before, without the cracks and rust stains from the chainlink fencing.

The section by the boathouse has risen considerably and it was the lowest section originally. The biggest change, of course is the lack of the gate. The middle section has also risen but less so. The biggest change here is the elimination of the benches from this section, the only part that had them, and the newest section of wall.

Remember, that when Mrs. Wall assembled the various properties for the estate, the two sea walls at either end were already existing and the one by the boathouse had a pier connected to it. The middle area was a large swale that drained storm water from the highway to the ocean. It was the lowest point on the property. This is why the property has an easement underneath it and a storm drain exit near the beach steps.

Some final thoughts, the new houses are much further back now based on new codes addressing sea level rise, though there still is quite a bit of sand shown. Also, the winding and very odd shape of the wall, because of its cobbled together nature, has remained. The footprint from above has not been altered in any way other than the boathouse gate being eliminated. So, I suspect at the right time of day, one might be able to recreate the opening scene pretty closely, as you did. There’s no where to sit and have flashbacks to Vietnam though. :wink:

Edit 2:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xN_VgTj1eUc

Here’s a video of the sea wall up close before it was refurbished. Damn it was in BAD shape! Worse than I remembered. According to the realtor, the main house was in even worse condition. That’s why there were no tours inside of it when it was listed for sale.

Even with the alterations to the sea walls, the future repair of the boathouse, will still provide a beautiful view over the raised seawall from the covered terrace. They can’t make major alterations to it by code because of its proximity to the beach. That’s nice to know. It will also still provide storage underneath, likely for aquatic activities, so its original function remains, though not quite as conveniently located by a direct gate to the sand.

I now wonder about the gatehouse’s future. It also can’t be significant altered by code because of its proximity to the highway. Its original function was to house five servants. It was later remodeled to function more like an actual guesthouse, by eliminating at least one bedroom to enlarge the living space downstairs. Perhaps it will be an actual guesthouse, something Pahonu never had, or an office area for Secret Service, or even a place for a caretaker when it’s not being occupied… as in Higgy-baby! :D

Sorry this got so long as I pondered!
Oops, my bad. Looks like the seawall is actually pretty similar to how it was before (except maybe around the curved part that goes inward, which looks lower now) with the exception of the rear gate which is no longer a small fence gate type of thing. Can't tell what it looks like now. Probably something more modern. Not sure why I thought the entire seawall was one long straight structure now. I could have sworn I saw some pics that showed it that way. But as it is I like that it still resembles the original shape and design. Yes, one can still recreate the Magnum swim and sneak to the rear gate. :)

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#45 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

That link to the estate, with music by Isreal kamakawiwo'ole was terrific.
You might recall he was that huge Hawaiian who created a record of a BILLION and counting viewers of his video recording of "Over the Rainbow".
Fantastic, you aren't human if you don't get a little misty listening to it.
Make sure you watch the version that includes the boat bringing his remains to land surrounded by thousands on boats, in the water and on shore.

Many people, like my mom did, now have "Over the Rainbow" sung at their funereal, it's amazing the effect it has.
It had hard core, stoic war veteran relations of mine who otherwise never express anything start sobbing, their kids amazed.
It devastates then heals, many start cheering and clapping afterwards.