Season 5 Episode 20: The Big Squeeze (5.20)

For discussions about the new CBS Magnum P.I. reboot

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

How Would You Rate This Episode?

Perfect
20%
One of the Best
No votes
Excellent
No votes
Very Good
40%
Pretty Good
20%
Decent
No votes
Average at Best
20%
Not So Good
No votes
Pretty Bad
No votes
Just Awful
No votes

Total votes: 5

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

Re: Season 5 Episode 20: The Big Squeeze (5.20)

#16 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Luther's nephew Dobie wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 7:20 pm Rich Heldenfels of the Tribune News Service in today's newspaper column said Magnum P.I. star Jay Hernandez is currently lobbying/negotiating for a TV movie to wrap things up.

As noted before such a movie would be a win win for all involved.
Even if just a one off it would push the total for the rerun package to 98, just short of the old standard "magic number" of 100 for syndication.
For the relatively cheap cost of a TV movie NBC would very likely draw far more viewers than it would normally on whatever night it ran.
Plus opening the door for a future run of such TV-movies which proved highly profitable for series such as The Rockford Files, Perry Mason.

Even Wild Wild West spawned two TV movies many years after the series ended, they were pretty good and are well worth seeking out.
Do yourself a favor and avoid the Will Smith "steam punk" theatrical version, beyond awful, the producers had no idea how and why the original worked.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Rupert of Hentzau(Douglas Fairbanks): "I see you let the drawbridge down. I just killed a man for that."
Rudolph Rassendyll(Ronald Colman): "An unarmed man of course."
Rupert of Hentzau: "Of course!"

(The 1937 version of "Prisoner of Zenda", one of the great adventure movies of all time, with a wonderful end scene.)
Dobie,

Actually the word "steampunk" refers to the original 1960s TV series, not the 1999 movie version. It's a genre that mixes elements of the past (where steam power was dominant) with futuristic Jule Verne science fiction technology.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steampunk

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#17 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 4:38 pm
Luther's nephew Dobie wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 7:20 pm Rich Heldenfels of the Tribune News Service in today's newspaper column said Magnum P.I. star Jay Hernandez is currently lobbying/negotiating for a TV movie to wrap things up.

Even if just a one off it would push the total for the rerun package to 98, just short of the old standard "magic number" of 100 for syndication.
For the relatively cheap cost of a TV movie NBC would very likely draw far more viewers than it would normally on whatever night it ran.
Plus opening the door for a future run of such TV-movies which proved highly profitable for series such as The Rockford Files, Perry Mason.

Even Wild Wild West spawned two TV movies many years after the series ended, they were pretty good and are well worth seeking out.
Do yourself a favor and avoid the Will Smith "steam punk" theatrical version, beyond awful, the producers had no idea how and why the original worked.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Rupert of Hentzau(Douglas Fairbanks): "I see you let the drawbridge down. I just killed a man for that."

(The 1937 version of "Prisoner of Zenda", one of the great adventure movies of all time, with a wonderful end scene.)
Dobie,

Actually the word "steampunk" refers to the original 1960s TV series, not the 1999 movie version. It's a genre that mixes elements of the past (where steam power was dominant) with futuristic Jule Verne science fiction technology.

Ivan,
Good article, thank you. According to it the term was coined in the 1980's by science fiction author K. W. Jeter.

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

#18 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Luther's nephew Dobie wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 3:52 am
ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 4:38 pm

Dobie,

Ivan,
Good article, thank you. According to it the term was coined in the 1980's by science fiction author K. W. Jeter.
Ah ok, so it was coined in the 80s. I always thought the word "punk" was an odd thing to call something set in the 1800s. :lol: "Steam-fi" would make more sense (as in "sci-fi").