Season 4 Episode 20: Close to Home (4.20)

For discussions about the new CBS Magnum P.I. reboot

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

How Would You Rate This Episode?

Perfect
25%
One of the Best
50%
Excellent
No votes
Very Good
No votes
Pretty Good
25%
Decent
No votes
Average at Best
No votes
Not So Good
No votes
Pretty Bad
No votes
Just Awful
No votes
Refuse to Watch
No votes

Total votes: 4

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

Season 4 Episode 20: Close to Home (4.20)

#1 Post by KENJI »

Just a title at this point.

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

Re: Season 4 Episode 20: Close to Home (4.20)

#2 Post by KENJI »

6 May 2022
Close to Home
Magnum and Higgins are sent on a deadly mission inside a high security correctional center when a ruthless criminal abducts Katsumoto and his ex-wife, Beth.

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#3 Post by KENJI »

Well......it finally happened.....Magnum & Higgins shared with each other that they have feelings for one another and then kissed,,,,, the scene then fades to black.
I'm guessing this is season ender.
The CGI for that scene (a Hawaiian sunset) was soooo fake.....kinda like Rick's baby, Joy. I think they could've found a real baby and a Hawaiian sunset.
Anyways, it will be interesting to see how this storyline plays out like it or not.

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#4 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

KENJI wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 1:59 pm 6 May 2022
Close to Home
Magnum and Higgins are sent on a deadly mission inside a high security correctional center when a ruthless criminal abducts Katsumoto and his ex-wife, Beth.
Good action, no nonsense, producer Jay is a steady hand at the helm. Perdita Weeks( Juliette Higgins) is an unusual leading lady, she still cuts her hair with a lawn mower for some reason.
Still, she is by far the best actor on this series and quite likable.
Katsumoto's career is now toast for breaking his criminal ex partner out of prison. As this episode's end it looks like he is destined to join Higgins and Magnum's PI firm.
I recall a few years back one of the posters here predicted that exact outcome, and that the producers should take a page from the Hawaiian Eye TV series.
I am not too proud to admit it was me.

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#5 Post by KENJI »

Luther's nephew Dobie wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 6:29 am
Close to Home
Good action, no nonsense, producer Jay is a steady hand at the helm. Perdita Weeks( Juliette Higgins) is an unusual leading lady, she still cuts her hair with a lawn mower for some reason.
Katsumoto's career is now toast for breaking his criminal ex partner out of prison. As this episode's end it looks like he is destined to join Higgins and Magnum's PI firm.
I recall a few years back one of the posters here predicted that exact outcome, and that the producers should take a page from the Hawaiian Eye TV series.
Hi Dobie!

It will be interesting to see if the show gets picked up for season 5. It probably will, but you never know.
I agree, Higgins is the best actor on the show and not to mention, super fit.....she must spend hours and hours in the gym.
Magnum, Higgins & Katsumoto P.I. Agency could happen like you predicted a few years back. I haven't heard anything about Tim leaving the show, so joining forces with Thomas & Juliette could happen. He shouldn't get his job back after what he did to get his ex-partner out of jail. Really Thomas should be up on charges for his part of the break out, but that will be overlooked for tv.
We should know in the next few weeks if the show will go on or not.....stay tuned.

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#6 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

KENJI wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 2:03 pm
Luther's nephew Dobie wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 6:29 am
Close to Home
Hi Dobie!

It will be interesting to see if the show gets picked up for season 5. It probably will, but you never know.
I agree, Higgins is the best actor on the show and not to mention, super fit.....she must spend hours and hours in the gym.
Magnum, Higgins & Katsumoto P.I. Agency could happen like you predicted a few years back. I haven't heard anything about Tim leaving the show, so joining forces with Thomas & Juliette could happen. He shouldn't get his job back after what he did to get his ex-partner out of jail. Really Thomas should be up on charges for his part of the break out, but that will be overlooked for tv.
We should know in the next few weeks if the show will go on or not.....stay tuned.
Hi Kenji,
As to the question of not being renewed I assumed it would be but as you said one never knows. Perhaps the producers hedged their bets by finally getting the two together
at the end, with the cliche Hawaiian sunset behind them.
I would bet on renewal, the networks almost always own a piece of a series and they'd want to get to that magic 100 episode mark for reruns.
Maybe one of the posters here knows more, but I believe CBS's Hawaiian studio "footprint" is rather large and employs many people. I would assume they'd have another
Hawaii set series ready to go if they axed the new Magnum PI.
I vote for "Hawaiian Eye" being remade one day.

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#7 Post by KENJI »

Hi Dobie!

Well, we got our answer.....Alooooha.
I do feel for the crew behind the scenes who lost their jobs.
I read a comment where Jay was VERY confident there would be a Season 5......he also made a few interesting comment in this interview

TVLINE | Are there any developments for Thomas and Juliet (played by Perdita Weeks) in this episode?
To some extent, it’s building up to something that’s going to happen in the season finale (airing May 6). We’ve teased this relationship dynamic for a while, and the audience wants to see what’s going to happen with that. So, we’re doing something with that in the finale that’s pretty interesting. But ultimately, at least in my mind, I don’t think they should be together.

TVLINE | I was going to ask, what excites or interests you about them perhaps one day getting together, and what concerns you if that happens?
Well, my perspective is that if that happens, it’s at the end of the show. Not the end of the season, but the end of the entire show. So, I don’t think it’s going to happen anytime soon. I think that tension and the dynamic between Higgins and Magnum is a big part of why the show works, and if you take that away and they become a couple, the show loses a lot, and it would change in so many different ways. So, yeah, I feel like we’d kind of rob ourselves of some great stuff if we got into that too early.

Well that kiss they shared at the end of this episode was the kiss of death for the show.
Maybe you'll get your wish for a Hawaiian Eye reboot.....you never know...... Magnum was remade. :wink:

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#8 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

KENJI wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 6:37 am Hi Dobie!

Well, we got our answer.....Alooooha.
I do feel for the crew behind the scenes who lost their jobs.
I read a comment where Jay was VERY confident there would be a Season 5......he also made a few interesting comment in this interview

TVLINE | Are there any developments for Thomas and Juliet (played by Perdita Weeks) in this episode?
To some extent, it’s building up to something that’s going to happen in the season finale (airing May 6). We’ve teased this relationship dynamic for a while, and the audience wants to see what’s going to happen with that. So, we’re doing something with that in the finale that’s pretty interesting. But ultimately, at least in my mind, I don’t think they should be together.

TVLINE | I was going to ask, what excites or interests you about them perhaps one day getting together, and what concerns you if that happens?
Well, my perspective is that if that happens, it’s at the end of the show. Not the end of the season, but the end of the entire show. So, I don’t think it’s going to happen anytime soon. I think that tension and the dynamic between Higgins and Magnum is a big part of why the show works, and if you take that away and they become a couple, the show loses a lot, and it would change in so many different ways. So, yeah, I feel like we’d kind of rob ourselves of some great stuff if we got into that too early.

Well that kiss they shared at the end of this episode was the kiss of death for the show.
Maybe you'll get your wish for a Hawaiian Eye reboot.....you never know...... Magnum was remade. :wink:
Kenji,
The irony is that the series markedly improved as time went on, then they ice it. Of course another network could pick it up.
Actually, that's not as unlikely as it sounds, with CBS's streaming channels etc, plus it's in the interest of everyone who owns a piece of it to find a home for one more year and get to 100 episodes.
The production could still rent the CBS facilities, everyone makes out.
Hawaiian Eye reboot works for me, but if Lenkov gets his hands on it I am hieing off to Hawaii and sacrificing him to the
Volcano Gods.