I’m starting to like it

For discussions about the new CBS Magnum P.I. reboot

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

NotthatRick
Admiral

Re: I’m starting to like it

#31 Post by NotthatRick »

ConchRepublican wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 7:36 pm
IKnowWhatYoureThinking wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 7:18 pm I still can't bring myself to watch the new one.
:magnum: :magnum:
I'm with you guys.

eagle
Fleet Admiral

#32 Post by eagle »

Wow, I thought I had posted in this thread a while ago. Anyway, I still watch the new one, but the episodes are not memorable to me, and I won't ever bother rewatching them like I do the original. The new show has definitely improved since the pilot, but in my mind it is still missing a lot.

Aloha Friday
Admiral

#33 Post by Aloha Friday »

I like the new show. I didn't think I would. It is different from the original, but then 30-40 years has passed since the original...you have to appeal to the new generation to get viewers. The new show also seems to spread the storylines across all of the characters rather than focus on TM. TC, Rick and Higgins are much more involved in the story. And the stories are pretty solid. Will people be watching reruns in 30 years? I doubt it, but it is enjoyable now.
Aloha Friday
Tidewater, Virginia

eagle
Fleet Admiral

#34 Post by eagle »

Aloha Friday wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 2:36 amThe new show also seems to spread the storylines across all of the characters rather than focus on TM. TC, Rick and Higgins are much more involved in the story.
See, this is what I was getting at -- I think the original show did a much better job of integrating the characters into the story than this one does. Higgins, TC, and Rick all had important roles, much more important than today's show IMHO, and they used skills and abilities that are lost in today's show. Maybe they're just different characters (TC doesn't seem to do much of anything with Island Hoppers anymore, and Rick doesn't have contacts around the island -- Juliet does that part now, with her computer), but to me they are all shallower and more boring than the original.
And the stories are pretty solid.
The new show's stories have definitely gotten better over time, and yes, I think I would agree that they are now generally pretty solid.

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

#35 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

I actually saw the latest episode about the "ghost Nuzo" (just stumbled across it on Flixtor.to where it's free) and this is the one that Dobie was saying was the best episode so far. Honestly I just didn't see it any better than what I had seen in the past (which was at least 2 seasons ago). Yeah seeing a clean-shaven mini-Mag at a military funeral was a step in the right direction but the rest of the stuff is the same old, same old as before. I do like the fact that they toned down the explosions and firefights but I think they already did that for the most part 2 seasons ago. As for the will-they-won't-they romance between TM and Shiggins it's the same old lame stuff as before which I just don't care for. Same with the forced emoting around not being able to save Nuzo and trying to prove him innocent... I just don't buy much of it. Jay just doesn't have it as an actor. None of the cast do. Katsumoto is still his same boring self. The "ghost Nuzo" thing was pretty daft too - "hey, I'm your subconscious". :roll:

Someone said it's good for lazy Friday night entertainment when there's nothing else to watch. The thing is there's ALWAYS something better to watch. And I say this as someone who doesn't watch modern TV. I'm talking about 7 decades worth of TV that you can watch either via your DVD collection or streaming from countless sources or for free on YouTube (which has just about every TV show out there). Starting with the 1950s and going all the way to whenever your favorite TV decades end. There are still episodes of Mannix, Mission: Impossible, Bonanza, Columbo, Kojak, Cheers, All in the Family, Andy Griffith Show, etc. that I've never seen. So why would I waste my time on this sub-par remake?

For what it's worth at least mini-MPI is better (just marginally) than the Five-0 remake which REALLY aggravated me with the OTT CGI explosions and gunfire and "action". Plus that incessant bickering between the 2 leads. Uggh!

Aloha Friday
Admiral

#36 Post by Aloha Friday »

I liked the remake of 5-O as well. I remember the original, but most of the population doesn't, so it is new to them and they don't compare it with Jack Lord's version...original Magnum is slightly different case since it has been in constant syndication sine the show ended in 1988. I think Hollywood in general has been very lazy and unimaginative for the last 10-15 years...they tend to fall back on remakes of everything since they don't have any original ideas. But, I watch both the old and the new and enjoy them for what they are.
Aloha Friday
Tidewater, Virginia

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

#37 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Aloha Friday wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 10:57 pm I liked the remake of 5-O as well. I remember the original, but most of the population doesn't, so it is new to them and they don't compare it with Jack Lord's version...original Magnum is slightly different case since it has been in constant syndication sine the show ended in 1988.
I disagree that most people remember MPI more than HFO. Through the years HFO has been in constant syndication just as much as MPI. In fact growing up as a kid/teen in the 90s I remember HFO being on all the time, more than MPI. Actually for a while I think they showed HFO, followed by MPI on our local Fox affiliate, followed by the Cosby Show. And then in the late 90s/early 2000s I recall HFO being shown 2 episodes back to back during the morning hours and then again once during the nighttime hours. So that's 3 episodes per day! And this was on regular TV, not one of the cable channels. During that time I don't recall MPI being shown at all. But SIMON & SIMON was - again on regular TV. Maybe MPI was shown on one of the cable channels like A&E but we didn't have that so I wouldn't know. But basically HFO was always on in constant rotation somewhere, even if it was older than MPI.