What is going on in Day I met The Devil?

For discussions about the new CBS Magnum P.I. reboot

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Riverratsbu 26
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#1 Post by Riverratsbu 26 »

All;
First Magnum is a Lieutenant (0-3) again??? In the pilot he is a Lieutenant Commander (0-4),
Also the wardrobe guys f-ed up. Magnum in Summer Whites is wearing his Jump Wings above his decorations and his Trident below. The only time this would occur is if Magnum left the SEALs and went to a Ship and is now qualified as a Surface Warfare Officer or is now in the Aviation community, or if the Jump wings were his only qualification. Jump wings DO NOT go above community qualification badges! :magnum:

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

Re: What is going on in Day I met The Devil?

#2 Post by T.Q. »

Lenkov takes suspension of disbelief to all new epic levels.
Knocking my rubber chicken or my sloppy habits is within the rules, but you're attacking my character. I would like to think you don't mean that.

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#3 Post by Steve »

I can skip over that but WARNING!!!! If you didn't watch this live, do not hit you episode info option and DO NOT, look at the cast...CBS blew it by listing a major plot twist......Other than that, a good episode with a nod to the original pilot episode in the beginning....

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#4 Post by KENJI »

You would think CBS/Lenkov would have someone with a military background watching over these details....it wouldn't be hard to find one on Oahu :roll: ....the details matter! They messed things up in the first season with TC and his uniform too which we've already discussed.

Fr. Paddy McGuinness
Admiral

#5 Post by Fr. Paddy McGuinness »

Can he at least shave?
Faith and Begorrah!

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#6 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

Fr. Paddy McGuinness wrote:Can he at least shave?
Paddy,
I think it's more important to the producers that Jay has the "cool look" with the week old beard that they believe appeals to the female demo
and others than to be realistic in the portrayal of a Navy officer.
Well I say to Lenkov, "Hello McFly!" the week old stubble went out of style with the demise of Miami Vice 30 years ago.
I have never seen a picture of Lenkov, maybe he sports a constant stubble and wears his old suits from the 1980's.
I have always imagined him as looking like a morally bankrupt Mr. Haney from Green Acres, but without the panache.

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#7 Post by ConchRepublican »

Luther's nephew Dobie wrote:
Paddy,
I think it's more important to the producers that Jay has the "cool look" with the week old beard that they believe appeals to the female demo
Well I say to Lenkov, "Hello McFly!" the week old stubble went out of style with the demise of Miami Vice 30 years ago.
I have never seen a picture of Lenkov, maybe he sports a constant stubble and wears his old suits from the 1980's.
I have always imagined him as looking like a morally bankrupt Mr. Haney from Green Acres, but without the panache.
The "brains" behind the reboot ....

CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#8 Post by Steve »

ConchRepublican wrote:
Paddy,

Being in the graphics/printing/media business I'm betting you use that picture to have your toilet paper custom printed.... :wink:

Laohu
Fleet Admiral

#9 Post by Laohu »

I can see where it would be easy to be jealous of a guy like Lenkov . He is a very successful producer who many in the industry would gladly chance places with . Seems to have a great working relationship with both the network and the cast of the 3 shows he is in charge of . He really seems to be able to just work on projects that he cares about which is a luxury that most people don’t have .
Yep easy to be jealous of him .

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#10 Post by T.Q. »

Laohu wrote:I can see where it would be easy to be jealous of a guy like Lenkov . He is a very successful producer who many in the industry would gladly chance places with . Seems to have a great working relationship with both the network and the cast of the 3 shows he is in charge of . He really seems to be able to just work on projects that he cares about which is a luxury that most people don’t have .
I'm jealous.

Would have loved to have had a crack at the reboot.

I would have made ALL the Maniacs happy. :geek:
Knocking my rubber chicken or my sloppy habits is within the rules, but you're attacking my character. I would like to think you don't mean that.

Laohu
Fleet Admiral

#11 Post by Laohu »

I am Jealous to T.Q.. While I don’t doubt your hart would have be in the right place I think you would find the execution of pleasing even a small number of people much harder then you think . It is really easy to rip a show apart even good ones .

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#12 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

ConchRepublican wrote:
Paddy,

Conch, Thanks for the photo. As for brains, I doubt he has enough to provide a light lunch for a Zombie.
Two Ritz crackers with a schmear of the old gray matter, maybe.

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#13 Post by ConchRepublican »

Laohu wrote:I can see where it would be easy to be jealous of a guy like Lenkov . He is a very successful producer who many in the industry would gladly chance places with . Seems to have a great working relationship with both the network and the cast of the 3 shows he is in charge of . He really seems to be able to just work on projects that he cares about which is a luxury that most people don’t have .
Who's jealous of him?

He's just another guy who can sell someone else's original idea as something he can do again, But Updated! New! Shiny!. Nothing special there whatsoever.
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

Higgins (aka Bondtoys)
Fleet Admiral

#14 Post by Higgins (aka Bondtoys) »

And again another episode threat went downhill by the neverending rants from the traditionalists*. I thought that we agreed to leave this?

It‘s still unclear to me, what the accusations against Lenkow really are?

Is it

1. He‘s doing nothing creative and new by just using the old ideas

2. his reboot is totally different to the original show and has nothing to do with the original show - ergo he was creative and created something totally remote and new.

All that I am getting from the constant criticism is a combination of both and that‘s really the best result that we can get.
If he went path one or 2 alone the waves of emotion would be even higher ( Oh, he‘s just copying everything, alternatively Oh, he has no clue and respect for original MPI and has no idea about the connections and details).

No matter what he does and which path he chooses, there will be that rumble as many critics here simply offer nothing constructive and just are out to destroy.

Imagine just for a minute what would happen to somebody who would try that attitude with the original show and constantly rant that way about Original Magnum Pi.

* hope that „traditionalists“ is not regarded as namecalling by the overly sensitives....

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

#15 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

ConchRepublican wrote:
Who's jealous of him?

He's just another guy who can sell someone else's original idea as something he can do again, But Updated! New! Shiny!. Nothing special there whatsoever.
Spot on, Conch! This notion that if you dislike someone's product then you must be secretly jealous of that person is beyond absurd! Yes, I spend my waking hours secretly wishing that I could create crap as well as Lenkov does. Pleaaaaaase!!!! Nor am I envious of his bank account. Believe it or not, not all of us are secretly pining to be millionaires or billionaires. Some of us are quite comfortable being in our present state in life. I know I am. Quite frankly I wouldn't know what to do with that kind of money if I had it. Well, maybe buy back the Anderson Estate from Marty Nesbitt. Make him an offer he couldn't refuse, heh! :lol:

Bottom line -- I'm not jealous of any producer or director out there in Hollyweird but if I *had* to choose to trade places with one of them it sure as heck wouldn't be Lenkov. Surely there's better producers out there to aspire to. About the only thing that Lenkov has going for him is that he gets to hang out in Paradise a lot. That's it. Maybe I'm secretly jealous of that? Hmm, maybe. Might be something there.