No Indiana Jones "reboots"

For discussions about the new CBS Magnum P.I. reboot

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

No Indiana Jones "reboots"

#1 Post by ConchRepublican »

Changing planes in Atlanta (Key West getaway has to end sometime) I came across this article. I thought you all would find it interesting.

https://heroichollywood.com/harrison-fo ... placement/
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

Re: No Indiana Jones "reboots"

#2 Post by T.Q. »

ConchRepublican wrote:Changing planes in Atlanta (Key West getaway has to end sometime) I came across this article. I thought you all would find it interesting.

https://heroichollywood.com/harrison-fo ... placement/
I actually came to post this. Just saw it.

Definitely respect Selleck for his position that it would seem petty to have blocked MiniMag...

But, also don’t think less of Ford for feeling strong enough about Indiana Jones.

“Nobody! Don’t you get it? I’m Indiana Jones,” said Ford. “When I’m gone, he’s gone. It’s easy.”

Wonder if Selleck wishes he said this.
Knocking my rubber chicken or my sloppy habits is within the rules, but you're attacking my character. I would like to think you don't mean that.

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#3 Post by K Hale »

Three other people have already played Indy.

EDIT: oops, four!
Last edited by K Hale on Sat May 25, 2019 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I didn't realize you were so addicted to pool.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

Higgins (aka Bondtoys)
Fleet Admiral

#4 Post by Higgins (aka Bondtoys) »

Anyone else willing to bet against me that during the 30 years following Ford‘s last Indy Film, that there will be a reboot of a kind with a younger actor in charge?

It will happen 100%, the only difference may be that Ford is not alive anymore when it happens.

Hollywood constantly repeats themselfs, why should Indiana Jones make a difference?

Laohu
Fleet Admiral

#5 Post by Laohu »

So if we follow this type of logic Harrison Ford should have never been able to play Jack Ryan or Richard Kimble . Kind of silly and very unrealistic. I thought River Phoenix did a great job of playing the character and when the movie came out got great reviews for doing so . Disney has already recast Han Solo can Indy be far behind ? The only reason they have not recast the role already is that Ford is still willing to play him . With that being said I hope they make a great film this time out it might be the last time we get to see Harrison play the role .

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#6 Post by T.Q. »

Laohu wrote:So if we follow this type of logic Harrison Ford should have never been able to play Jack Ryan or Richard Kimble . Kind of silly and very unrealistic. I thought River Phoenix did a great job of playing the character and when the movie came out got great reviews for doing so . Disney has already recast Han Solo can Indy be far behind ? The only reason they have not recast the role already is that Ford is still willing to play him . With that being said I hope they make a great film this time out it might be the last time we get to see Harrison play the role .
The question I have is WHY?

Why can’t they leave iconic characters alone?

Why can’t they invent new iconic characters?

Why must every damn thing be recycled?
Knocking my rubber chicken or my sloppy habits is within the rules, but you're attacking my character. I would like to think you don't mean that.

Laohu
Fleet Admiral

#7 Post by Laohu »

Why because they are iconic Characters . They are bigger then the Actors who play them . Look at Spider-Man , in what seems like a very short time to me it has been recast 3 times each actor had his own take on it . In the end people are not showing up to see the actor they are going to see the character .
This is not really a new thing it happened with old radio shows as well. It was not uncommon for multiple actors to take on the role of key or main characters durning the run of a show .

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#8 Post by 308GUY »

"C'mon TC...nothing can go wrong!"

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#9 Post by T.Q. »

Laohu wrote:Why because they are iconic Characters . They are bigger then the Actors who play them . Look at Spider-Man , in what seems like a very short time to me it has been recast 3 times each actor had his own take on it . In the end people are not showing up to see the actor they are going to see the character .
This is not really a new thing it happened with old radio shows as well. It was not uncommon for multiple actors to take on the role of key or main characters durning the run of a show .
Comparing Spiderman or Batman or whatever is apples to oranges.

There was a Batman before the actors portrayed him.

There was no Indiana Jones before Harrison Ford MADE Indiana Jones iconic.

Just like:

There was no Magnum before Tom Selleck and Tom Selleck MADE Magnum iconic.

Completely different.

JMHO
Last edited by T.Q. on Sat May 25, 2019 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Laohu
Fleet Admiral

#10 Post by Laohu »

Who said anything about Magnum ? I thought we where talking about Harrison Ford and Indiana Jones .

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#11 Post by T.Q. »

Laohu wrote:Who said anything about Magnum ? I thought we where talking about Harrison Ford and Indiana Jones .
Edited for you.

:lol:

Laohu
Fleet Admiral

#12 Post by Laohu »

Thank you

But don’t forget there was none of it before a writer put word to the page .

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#13 Post by ConchRepublican »

Laohu wrote:So if we follow this type of logic Harrison Ford should have never been able to play Jack Ryan or Richard Kimble . Kind of silly and very unrealistic. I thought River Phoenix did a great job of playing the character and when the movie came out got great reviews for doing so . Disney has already recast Han Solo can Indy be far behind ? The only reason they have not recast the role already is that Ford is still willing to play him . With that being said I hope they make a great film this time out it might be the last time we get to see Harrison play the role .
Kimbel? I get.
Ryan? Meh, that was more of a Roger Moore following Sean Connery move in my mind. They were telling stories from different books in the series, and wasn't James Earl Jones a constant? Even if not, they weren't "rebooting".
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#14 Post by T.Q. »

Laohu wrote:Thank you

But don’t forget there was none of it before a writer put word to the page .
Now you’re just stretching it.

:roll:

perfectlykevin
Fleet Admiral

#15 Post by perfectlykevin »

T.Q. wrote:
The question I have is WHY?

Why can’t they leave iconic characters alone?

Why can’t they invent new iconic characters?

Why must every damn thing be recycled?

I think the answers are:

1) Money

2) Money

3) Money

4) Money

If they were nothing characters, ones that slipped into obscurity then the $$$ wouldn't be there. As long as Hollywood can make a buck don't think they won't try. :)