Kumu

For discussions about the new CBS Magnum P.I. reboot

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Laohu
Fleet Admiral

Kumu

#1 Post by Laohu »

OK I guess I am a little slow on the uptake . I have been looking at Kumu as a new Character on the show but today it hit me that she was Agatha . Sure they have made changes but she really serves many of the same purposes on the show .

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

Re: Kumu

#2 Post by T.Q. »

Laohu wrote:OK I guess I am a little slow on the uptake . I have been looking at Kumu as a new Character on the show but today it hit me that she was Agatha . Sure they have made changes but she really serves many of the same purposes on the show .
Is that the lady from “50 First Dates” that was hitting golf balls with Jay Hernandez?
Knocking my rubber chicken or my sloppy habits is within the rules, but you're attacking my character. I would like to think you don't mean that.

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#3 Post by ConchRepublican »

T.Q. wrote:
Laohu wrote:OK I guess I am a little slow on the uptake . I have been looking at Kumu as a new Character on the show but today it hit me that she was Agatha . Sure they have made changes but she really serves many of the same purposes on the show .
Is that the lady from “50 First Dates” that was hitting golf balls with Jay Hernandez?

Wait, Jay was in 50 First Dates?!? I really liked that movie (ducking), am I missing something?!?
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#4 Post by T.Q. »

ConchRepublican wrote:
T.Q. wrote:

Wait, Jay was in 50 First Dates?!? I really liked that movie (ducking), am I missing something?!?
LOL

I was asking if Kumu is the actress from ‘50 First Dates’ that hangs around the estate in the new show. She was in a scene with Jay hitting golf balls when Perdita came out and yelled at him.
Knocking my rubber chicken or my sloppy habits is within the rules, but you're attacking my character. I would like to think you don't mean that.

Laohu
Fleet Admiral

#5 Post by Laohu »

Yes she was there when Higgins was hitting golf balls and when Higgins was shooting skeet .Imdb says she was in 50 first dates
And Jay Hernandez had his 50 first dates in the Episode 17 Black is the Widow :lol:

perfectlykevin
Fleet Admiral

#6 Post by perfectlykevin »

I see Kumu as the authority of Hawaiian culture and island history. They couldn't possibly have Higgins do this now that she isn't Hawaiian. It is almost like they broke the old Higgins character into 2 different people. Though neither does any actual real work for Mr. Masters :)

KingKC
Fleet Admiral

#7 Post by KingKC »

perfectlykevin wrote:I see Kumu as the authority of Hawaiian culture and island history. They couldn't possibly have Higgins do this now that she isn't Hawaiian. It is almost like they broke the old Higgins character into 2 different people. Though neither does any actual real work for Mr. Masters :)
I must have missed something. The original Higgins wasn't Hawaiian either. But he sure did know Hawaiian history.

I am not sure what purpose Kumu serves. Obviously in the reboot Shiggins is much more an investigator so I guess Kumu is the real Major Domo while Shiggins is the figurehead. She was handling the termite problem in one episode where she met an old high school acquaintance. She does bring Hawaiian diversity more to the forefront with a recurring character.

perfectlykevin
Fleet Admiral

#8 Post by perfectlykevin »

KingKC wrote:
perfectlykevin wrote:I see Kumu as the authority of Hawaiian culture and island history. They couldn't possibly have Higgins do this now that she isn't Hawaiian. It is almost like they broke the old Higgins character into 2 different people. Though neither does any actual real work for Mr. Masters :)
I must have missed something. The original Higgins wasn't Hawaiian either. But he sure did know Hawaiian history.

I am not sure what purpose Kumu serves. Obviously in the reboot Shiggins is much more an investigator so I guess Kumu is the real Major Domo while Shiggins is the figurehead. She was handling the termite problem in one episode where she met an old high school acquaintance. She does bring Hawaiian diversity more to the forefront with a recurring character.
It would be seen as cultural appropriation or something bordering it.

eagle
Fleet Admiral

#9 Post by eagle »

That's one of the things that bothers me about the new show: Hillerman's character (JQH) did a lot of actual real work for Mr. Masters (e.g., caring for the grounds, hosting guests, paying bills, arranging events -- I know I am leaving things out), whereas Weeks's character (JH) does not seem to do any of those things. Also, JQH did a lot for the historical society, whereas JH does not. I'm reminded of that phrase from Office Space: "What would you say ... you do here?" I wonder what JH actually does. I Mean, JH repeatedly refers to herself as "majordomo" of the estate, but I wonder if any of the writers actually know what that means. Did JQH ever refer to himself as majordomo? I only recall hearing Magnum say it in the intro segment of the pilot in the original series.

Chris109
Fleet Admiral

#10 Post by Chris109 »

eagle wrote:
That's one of the things that bothers me about the new show: Hillerman's character (JQH) did a lot of actual real work for Mr. Masters (e.g., caring for the grounds, hosting guests, paying bills, arranging events -- I know I am leaving things out), whereas Weeks's character (JH) does not seem to do any of those things. Also, JQH did a lot for the historical society, whereas JH does not. I'm reminded of that phrase from Office Space: "What would you say ... you do here?" I wonder what JH actually does. I Mean, JH repeatedly refers to herself as "majordomo" of the estate, but I wonder if any of the writers actually know what that means. Did JQH ever refer to himself as majordomo? I only recall hearing Magnum say it in the intro segment of the pilot in the original series.
The major was a minor.

Laohu
Fleet Admiral

#11 Post by Laohu »

We have seen Higgins hosting a event , picking up a boat for Robin , doing work on the computer this could be paying bills or other “ paperwork “ . Keep watching it is just season 1 maybe in season two we will get a episode that just shows Higgins inspecting the gardeners work and making sure the window washer did not miss a spot. :lol:

KingKC
Fleet Admiral

#12 Post by KingKC »

Laohu wrote:We have seen Higgins hosting a event , picking up a boat for Robin , doing work on the computer this could be paying bills or other “ paperwork “ . Keep watching it is just season 1 maybe in season two we will get a episode that just shows Higgins inspecting the gardeners work and making sure the window washer did not miss a spot. :lol:
What I expect in Season 2 is for Higgins to become more of a partner in investigations and even less emphasis on the estate. Higgins' study, the guest house, the tidal pool and even the front gate were important in the original. Not so in the reboot it seems.

Laohu
Fleet Admiral

#13 Post by Laohu »

Not sure I know what you mean by Important ? We see the gust house and the study quite a bit . We have also seen the main gate . I really like the set for the guest house and think the pool table gives it a nice bachelor pad vide . A little confused as to why you don’t see them as important any more ? Maybe because we don’t have 8 seasons of stories there yet ?
I would agree that Higgins will become more involved in the investigations in season 2 but I can also see them moving away from that . I kind of feel like Higgins is involved in her own plot line that we have just got hints of . If they were willing to commit to Higgins being his partner she could of just accepted when he asked . Going to enjoy finding out 20 episode where just not enough .

KingKC
Fleet Admiral

#14 Post by KingKC »

Laohu wrote:Not sure I know what you mean by Important ? We see the gust house and the study quite a bit . We have also seen the main gate . I really like the set for the guest house and think the pool table gives it a nice bachelor pad vide . A little confused as to why you don’t see them as important any more ? Maybe because we don’t have 8 seasons of stories there yet ?
I would agree that Higgins will become more involved in the investigations in season 2 but I can also see them moving away from that . I kind of feel like Higgins is involved in her own plot line that we have just got hints of . If they were willing to commit to Higgins being his partner she could of just accepted when he asked . Going to enjoy finding out 20 episode where just not enough .
I guess by important I mean prevalent and relevant. We don't see much of the guest house, In fact the only scene that sticks in my mind is the termite inspection. When have we seen the front gate or the tidal pool? If they have been shown it has been brief. In the original TM was frequently having to finagle his way in because the gate codes were changes. Rick and TC always seem to be buzzing from the front gate. The tidal pool was used for scenes with the stewardesses and even for TM's depression at one point. I am just saying that the first season did not seem to blend much of the estate aspects into the plots. It seemed to concentrate on action and quick changing scenes and conversations. Granted it has only been one season but I think the estate has been given short shrift in this reboot.

Finally, I don't remember a pool table in the guest house. Was it a full table or a bumper pool table? Maybe I just flat out missed it?!?!?!?! I know there was one in the main house because Higgins play snooker and there was one episode about Higgins taping a snooker match.

Laohu
Fleet Admiral

#15 Post by Laohu »

The pool table is kind of hidden by the sofa most of the time. It is in front of the big glass windows that I think might be sliding doors ? They have showed it several times the times I can point out that stand out to me are 1 when Katsumoto is waiting for him before giving him the police badge of his mentor who magnum solved his murder . 2 flashback scene when he is talking to Higgins about not telling her about being the security consultant.
The guest house and study has been in just about every episode I really can’t think of one that it does not . The main gate now has a video camera that can be seen on Higgins phone so maybe that draws away from its importance for you ?
We have seen one bedroom in the new guest house I am going to guess there are at least 2 so I don’t think we have seen all of it yet .