Season 1 Episode 10: Bad Day to Be a Hero (1.10)

For discussions about the new CBS Magnum P.I. reboot

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

How Would You Rate This Episode?

10 (Perfect!)
No votes
9.5 (One of the Best)
No votes
9.0 (Excellent)
No votes
8.5 (Very Good)
9%
8.0 (Pretty Good)
9%
7.5 (Decent)
27%
7.0 (Average at Best)
18%
6.5 (Not So Good)
9%
6.0 (Pretty Bad)
No votes
5.5 (Just Awful)
9%
5.0 (Refuse to Watch)
18%

Total votes: 11

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

Re: Season 1 Episode 10: Bad Day to Be a Hero (1.10)

#16 Post by KENJI »

Luther's nephew Dobie wrote:
KENJI wrote:The fall finale was par for the course. :roll:
Katsumoto is now their drinking buddy after this episode.....I still don't like his acting.
We see a new Hawaiian shirt on Thomas. I didn't compare it really closely, but it sure looks like the same pattern as the first one , but yellow and with what looks to be a hint of pink- I'll pass!
Juliet was kicking butt again in this episode, she does have the moves! She even has a decent American accent.
Icepick's scene was small an uneventful as he is in jail.
Hi Guy,
You are so right about the stiff playing Katsumoto, his emotions run the gamut from A to B.
Whoever does the casting for this show should be put in the sealed water tank Wo Fat used on McGarrett in the pilot for Hawaii 5-0.
As for Juliette Higgins, I note they once again snuck in a lingering side shot of her to highlight her spectacular curves as she is one of those people
that the camera loves. She is no doubt making a lot of 14 year old fan boys happy every time she walks onscreen. Now if only she'd stop getting her
hair done by a drunk Stevie Wonder using a Yugoslavian lawn mower with a dull blade.
I would just add that the body count is getting more ridiculous by the week. Hawaii must see more firefights daily than the Afghan outback.
Enuff with the over blown scenarios, where assault rifles or high tech BS replaces good writing.
And the weekly "Band of Brothers" angle is running thin as motivation for the Boys to risk their lives for a stranger. It never went much beyond your
buddies and your immediate unit anyway. Besides, you can be a good soldier and still be a total bastard when you return to civilian life.

"Why do they lock gas station bathrooms? Are they afraid someone will clean them?"...George Carlin
Hi Dobie,
You had me laughing with your hair comment. :lol:
George's comment was funny too.
Totally agree with the Band Of Brothers comment too.....that should be used maybe once a season.
The body count and over blown scenarios are absolutely ridiculous.........keep it real or at the very least tone it down so it's semi-believable!!
I think Lenkov should be the first in the water tank that you mentioned. :wink:

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#17 Post by KENJI »

KingKC wrote:
KENJI wrote:The fall finale was par for the course. :roll:
Katsumoto is now their drinking buddy after this episode.....I still don't like his acting.
We see a new Hawaiian shirt on Thomas. I didn't compare it really closely, but it sure looks like the same pattern as the first one , but yellow and with what looks to be a hint of pink- I'll pass!
Juliet was kicking butt again in this episode, she does have the moves! She even has a decent American accent.
Icepick's scene was small an uneventful as he is in jail.
To make it a little more "par for the course" you need to add the military connection and the obviously unrealistic special effect (implied) of four people jumping from a helicopter onto a moving boat (shades of the pilot episode!!!). Rescuing people locked up reminded me of Thank Heaven for Little Girls (and big ones too.) But I actually liked this one.
I'm with you KINGKC on the helicopter scene. It was unrealistic and don't tell me they wouldn't have had a few spotters on deck to fire on the helicopter or any of incoming threat before it could even land/get close.

Bat22
Lieutenant Commander

#18 Post by Bat22 »

Steve wrote:
KingKC wrote:Just another thought. Is this the first of Rick finding a girl and thinking marriage only to have the girl leave at the end??? At least this was a serious consideration of a relationship.
Not just a girl, Rick hooks up with Meadow Soprano :lol:
I thought the episode was pretty good but I did not like that Icepick is in prison. So far I am on board for all of the main actors even Tim Kang as Katsumoto is growing on me. Ken Jeong as Luther H. Gillis is a HUGE miss, Corbin Bernsen as Icepick and James Remar as Buck Green have a ways to go to win me over....
By the way, the show is winning its time slot on Mondays so far and is in the top ten of new shows so my guess is it will be around for another season........(sorry never watchers)
After seeing Corbin in Kiss Kiss Bang Bang I know he can play a cold-blooded criminal and I like that he's not trying to imitate the original. Katsumoto is one of the show's saving graces IMO; they should've made this guy Tanaka instead of throwing the part away for a Sung Kang guest-spot. Sure, he'd be different from the original Tanaka but that clear delineation would be appreciated unlike Buck-Lite and Ken Jeong guest-starring as Ken Jeong.

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#19 Post by Steve »

By the way, speaking of over the top gun fire did anyone see the fall season final of Hawaii five-0? I wont spoil anything but my god, Lenkov seems to have a thing for military style automatic weapons fire!

Steve-O
Commander

#20 Post by Steve-O »

Steve wrote:By the way, speaking of over the top gun fire did anyone see the fall season final of Hawaii five-0? I wont spoil anything but my god, Lenkov seems to have a thing for military style automatic weapons fire!
Yes, I saw it. The props department (ballistics/percussives/armaments section) was sure busy prepping for that episode. You would think that Lenkov should be satisfied with letting out his inner gun on Five-Zero enough that he could ease back on the Mini-Mag show.

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

#21 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Bat22 wrote:
Steve wrote:
KingKC wrote:Just another thought. Is this the first of Rick finding a girl and thinking marriage only to have the girl leave at the end??? At least this was a serious consideration of a relationship.
Not just a girl, Rick hooks up with Meadow Soprano :lol:
I thought the episode was pretty good but I did not like that Icepick is in prison. So far I am on board for all of the main actors even Tim Kang as Katsumoto is growing on me. Ken Jeong as Luther H. Gillis is a HUGE miss, Corbin Bernsen as Icepick and James Remar as Buck Green have a ways to go to win me over....
By the way, the show is winning its time slot on Mondays so far and is in the top ten of new shows so my guess is it will be around for another season........(sorry never watchers)
After seeing Corbin in Kiss Kiss Bang Bang I know he can play a cold-blooded criminal and I like that he's not trying to imitate the original. Katsumoto is one of the show's saving graces IMO; they should've made this guy Tanaka instead of throwing the part away for a Sung Kang guest-spot. Sure, he'd be different from the original Tanaka but that clear delineation would be appreciated unlike Buck-Lite and Ken Jeong guest-starring as Ken Jeong.
Katsumoto? The show's saving grace? Really?? I wonder if we're watching the same show. The guy is a plank of wood. He makes Jay Hernandez look good.

Bat22
Lieutenant Commander

#22 Post by Bat22 »

IvanTheTerrible wrote:
Bat22 wrote: After seeing Corbin in Kiss Kiss Bang Bang I know he can play a cold-blooded criminal and I like that he's not trying to imitate the original. Katsumoto is one of the show's saving graces IMO; they should've made this guy Tanaka instead of throwing the part away for a Sung Kang guest-spot. Sure, he'd be different from the original Tanaka but that clear delineation would be appreciated unlike Buck-Lite and Ken Jeong guest-starring as Ken Jeong.
Katsumoto? The show's saving grace? Really?? I wonder if we're watching the same show. The guy is a plank of wood. He makes Jay Hernandez look good.
He's kind of a transplant from a procedural cop show, the no-nonsense character, and I liked his moment in the interrogation room. Maybe I like seeing Katsumoto because he doesn't come off like he's had an enema of sunshine, lollipops, and rainbows like our trio of battle-hardened veterans.

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

#23 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Bat22 wrote:
IvanTheTerrible wrote:
Bat22 wrote: After seeing Corbin in Kiss Kiss Bang Bang I know he can play a cold-blooded criminal and I like that he's not trying to imitate the original. Katsumoto is one of the show's saving graces IMO; they should've made this guy Tanaka instead of throwing the part away for a Sung Kang guest-spot. Sure, he'd be different from the original Tanaka but that clear delineation would be appreciated unlike Buck-Lite and Ken Jeong guest-starring as Ken Jeong.
He's kind of a transplant from a procedural cop show, the no-nonsense character, and I liked his moment in the interrogation room. Maybe I like seeing Katsumoto because he doesn't come off like he's had an enema of sunshine, lollipops, and rainbows like our trio of battle-hardened veterans.
A transplant from a procedural cop show with zero personality or character isn't a ringing endorsement whatsoever. To me he's just "a Japanese cop", nothing more and nothing less. There's nothing that can be said to describe his character. I feel that a character has to have something, anything. Nope, nothing here. I'm sure Clyde Kusatsu who played the character on the original show was MUCH more memorable. And as for Kwan Hi Lim as Lt. Tanaka, need anything be said about that great character? Basically a Hawaiian Columbo, an endlessly fascinating character. Nothing like that on the new show.

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#24 Post by Steve »

What we have here is not only a group divide on whether or not the show is watchable, but also over Tim Kang's performance as Detective Katsumoto. I'm on the side that he has grown on me and at the level of being an actor who has made it to many TV series, his wooden performance must be a choice made by the producers and himself for the benefit of the show....

KingKC
Fleet Admiral

#25 Post by KingKC »

Steve wrote:What we have here is not only a group divide on whether or not the show is watchable, but also over Tim Kang's performance as Detective Katsumoto. I'm on the side that he has grown on me and at the level of being an actor who has made it to many TV series, his wooden performance must be a choice made by the producers and himself for the benefit of the show....
His "wooden performance" is the same type of acting he displayed in The Mentalist. I remember Emily Proctor as Callie used that style as well in CSI-Miami. I kind of like it. Not everyone is gregarious and demonstrative, even in real life.