Jay Hernandez and Twitter

For discussions about the new CBS Magnum P.I. reboot

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Does taking an active political stance on Twitter help or hurt a show?

No - having an opinion helps people understand you and creates a connection with the viewers
8%
Yes - taking a side alienates a portion of the audience
69%
It doesn't matter - people are immune to extreme social media today
23%

Total votes: 13

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

Re: Jay Hernandez and Twitter

#76 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

MagnumsLeftShoulder wrote:Blue Bloods is definitely a more political show than Magnum was, but I'm not sure Blue Bloods is as conservative as a lot of people claim it is. I think it's actually pretty middle of the road, but it just sticks out as "conservative" because everything else on TV has swung so far to the left. Also, the job of police comissioner is a political appointment, so the show has to reflect that. Fun fact: Bill Clinton is a huge fan of the Blue Bloods!

I don't think Magnum was any more of a conservative show than anything else on TV the eighties, but I think the more conservative TV landscape of the 1980s was a natural reaction to the Norman Lear-ification of TV in the 1970s.

As for the characters, Frank Reagan's politics are pretty obvious because he's always in conflict with mayors who want to throw the cops under the bus. TM's are less so, except for that scene where he's reading the National Review! :wink:

Check out this list of conservative TV shows from Ben Shapiro: https://www.nationalreview.com/2011/06/ ... n-shapiro/
You make good points, especially about the 80s landscape in general being more conservative. The military was not something to be celebrated in the 70s but in the 80s you had shows and movies about war heroes which every kid idolized - everything from THE A-TEAM to RAMBO. During the Reagan years it was cool to be an American again! :) Gotta miss the optimism of that decade.

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#77 Post by K Hale »

One thing we should remember is that what passed for conservative in the 1980s is not what passes for conservative today.

Climbing back down into my bunker, y’all have a good day.
I didn't realize you were so addicted to pool.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

sandbiscuits
Captain

#78 Post by sandbiscuits »

IvanTheTerrible wrote:Oh I definitely don't see TM as political. In fact he seems to hate the bureaucracy of the military (and I would wager politics as well). You are correct in that he follows a certain moral code that probably stems from his upbringing. The same I think applies to Selleck as well, from what I have read. But I think his moral code to a certain extent reflects a more conservative pro-American pro-liberty mindset. A respect for the American flag, a respect for the American soldier, a strong sense of justice (recall Ivan), and give no quarters to the enemy mentality. I basically don't get a "bleeding heart" mentality from him. But being political? No, I don't see TM as political.
Thanks for the clarification. I have to admit I'd view the aspects of a conservative and pro-liberty mindset as mainstream American values. As an example, I consider The West Wing to be a very liberal-leaning show, but it embodies those characteristics. By the same token, maybe others see that show very differently. Or, as another example, MagnumsLeftShoulder mentioned that Bill Clinton is a huge fan of Blue Bloods. He's a pretty liberal guy.

For the most part, though definitely not in all cases, broadcast TV shows leave enough room for broad swaths of the population to identify with them. Looking at that list of conservative shows according to Shapiro in the other post reinforced that idea for me.

Fleet Admiral

#79 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

sandbiscuits wrote:
IvanTheTerrible wrote:Oh I definitely don't see TM as political. In fact he seems to hate the bureaucracy of the military (and I would wager politics as well). You are correct in that he follows a certain moral code that probably stems from his upbringing. The same I think applies to Selleck as well, from what I have read. But I think his moral code to a certain extent reflects a more conservative pro-American pro-liberty mindset. A respect for the American flag, a respect for the American soldier, a strong sense of justice (recall Ivan), and give no quarters to the enemy mentality. I basically don't get a "bleeding heart" mentality from him. But being political? No, I don't see TM as political.
Thanks for the clarification. I have to admit I'd view the aspects of a conservative and pro-liberty mindset as mainstream American values. As an example, I consider The West Wing to be a very liberal-leaning show, but it embodies those characteristics. By the same token, maybe others see that show very differently. Or, as another example, MagnumsLeftShoulder mentioned that Bill Clinton is a huge fan of Blue Bloods. He's a pretty liberal guy.

For the most part, though definitely not in all cases, broadcast TV shows leave enough room for broad swaths of the population to identify with them. Looking at that list of conservative shows according to Shapiro in the other post reinforced that idea for me.
Yep that list of conservative shows is pretty interesting. I wasn't surprised to find my favorite show "24" to be ranked #1 (it's the ultimate War on Terror show) but MAGNUM at #3 was kind of surprising - didn't expect it to rank that high. Others like SOUTH PARK are a complete head-scratcher. I never watched that show but from what I've heard it's a pretty raunchy show so I wouldn't expect to find it anywhere on that list.

MagnumsLeftShoulder
Fleet Admiral

#80 Post by MagnumsLeftShoulder »

Others like SOUTH PARK are a complete head-scratcher. I never watched that show but from what I've heard it's a pretty raunchy show so I wouldn't expect to find it anywhere on that list.
South Park absolutely shreds political correctness and nanny state ideas. The show can be raunchy, but it's also pretty astute social commentary.
The creators Matt Parker and Trey Stone have admitted to being Republicans since this list was written.

The one on the list I thought was weird was Lost. I never thought of that show as political in any way, but Ben makes a pretty good argument for it being there. JAG should have been on it, but it gets a mention in the Magnum paragraph.

marlboro
Baron Of GIFs

#81 Post by marlboro »

I love a lot of 60s tv but I really hated both Dragnet and Leave it to Beaver. Both were just terrible shows, imo. Jack Webb's hugely successful career will forever remain a mystery to me.

Oh, and the greatest conservative tv show of all time? "Sledge Hammer!" of course.

Fleet Admiral

#82 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

It was great seeing WALKER TEXAS RANGER (not surprisingly) on that list as well. Watched that show religiously every Saturday night in the 90s as a teen. I was a huge Chuck fan at the time. Saw all his movies!

KingKC
Fleet Admiral

#83 Post by KingKC »

marlboro wrote:I love a lot of 60s tv but I really hated both Dragnet and Leave it to Beaver. Both were just terrible shows, imo. Jack Webb's hugely successful career will forever remain a mystery to me.

Oh, and the greatest conservative tv show of all time? "Sledge Hammer!" of course.
I always imagined a show where Sgt. Friday and Detective Gannon just nodded at each other for 30 minutes. That constant nodding was really annoying.

giant_albatross
Lieutenant Commander

#84 Post by giant_albatross »

sandbiscuits wrote:...Yes, I agree with everything you 100% here, which is part of the reason I am curious as to where some viewers are seeing a political angle. Maybe conflating Tom Selleck with Magnum? I can see how this might happen. Anyway, just to repeat, I'm truly not looking to argue this, just want to know more about people's perspectives.
The characters on the original [real] Magnum PI were not overtly political, but culturally they were generally less overtly leftist than say characters on Murphy Brown, which makes them by default more "conservative." Frankly, I don't want any preachy political crap in my programming, though obviously its impossible not to get into that grey area, which is cultural rather than partisan. The 80's in general, by post-mid 90s standards, were relatively culturally conservative, though at the time, I don't think most of us viewed it that way. I remember my dad, every single week when the intro to Magnum came on when Magnum was staring at the girl's butt in the tidal pool making a comment how disgusting that was. Of course, he himself wasn't exactly a paragon of monasticism, lol. He cursed, liked to have a few drinks after work, and would comment positively on pretty women.

I think what's nice about watching the old shows from the "Most Awesome Decade Ever" is that they reflect a culture that was "less" political than what we have now, simply because many shows tried to be as bland and "safe" politically as possible by treading a middle ground. There were, of course, many exceptions, almost entirely, of course, veering toward the left, but it wasn't EVERY show like it is now. Even some Magnum episodes were "politically correct" for the time, and they tended to annoy me even then, but overall, most Magnum episodes weren't political for the time or era, and you could interpret them however you wanted, which is impossible for most entertainment today.

sandbiscuits
Captain

#85 Post by sandbiscuits »

giant_albatross wrote:
sandbiscuits wrote:...Yes, I agree with everything you 100% here, which is part of the reason I am curious as to where some viewers are seeing a political angle. Maybe conflating Tom Selleck with Magnum? I can see how this might happen. Anyway, just to repeat, I'm truly not looking to argue this, just want to know more about people's perspectives.
The characters on the original [real] Magnum PI were not overtly political, but culturally they were generally less overtly leftist than say characters on Murphy Brown, which makes them by default more "conservative." Frankly, I don't want any preachy political crap in my programming, though obviously its impossible not to get into that grey area, which is cultural rather than partisan. The 80's in general, by post-mid 90s standards, were relatively culturally conservative, though at the time, I don't think most of us viewed it that way. I remember my dad, every single week when the intro to Magnum came on when Magnum was staring at the girl's butt in the tidal pool making a comment how disgusting that was. Of course, he himself wasn't exactly a paragon of monasticism, lol. He cursed, liked to have a few drinks after work, and would comment positively on pretty women.

I think what's nice about watching the old shows from the "Most Awesome Decade Ever" is that they reflect a culture that was "less" political than what we have now, simply because many shows tried to be as bland and "safe" politically as possible by treading a middle ground. There were, of course, many exceptions, almost entirely, of course, veering toward the left, but it wasn't EVERY show like it is now. Even some Magnum episodes were "politically correct" for the time, and they tended to annoy me even then, but overall, most Magnum episodes weren't political for the time or era, and you could interpret them however you wanted, which is impossible for most entertainment today.
Playing it safe may have been a product not only of what was considered mainstream morality, but for the need to cater to very high viewerships. But as you say, there was a mix. My favorite shows growing up were (besides MPI) The Dukes of Hazzard, Knight Rider, and The Incredible Hulk. I can see how aspects of all those could be political, but they really did tread the line, in my opinion. Even the Dukes, despite the good ol' boys stuff, weren't on the right side of the law all the time.

You commented that most entertainment today isn't open to political interpretation. I think that's the trend, but what would you say about the MPI reboot, specifically? So far I haven't seen any leanings (unless you consider positive views of vets to be only a conservative viewpoint).

Your dad sounds familiar to me, too! I think there are a lot of guys of all political stripes who curse, drink, and notice a pretty girl.

Kevster
Fleet Admiral

#86 Post by Kevster »

Many of the shows referenced that were in the 70's and 80's weren't political, per se, but the characters had specific principles that came through. The characters may not be perfectly principled, but they had an "ethos" that was relatable. The principles of that era are often considered quaint by today's standards. For example, anything close to chivalry would be considered improper amongst some circles... Conversely, the principles of today seem to focus on social activism. As such, the "gray area" where principles overlap has narrowed to where the overlap is tough to navigate.

And an earlier comment about conservatism of the 1980's not being the same as today.... Yes and no. Good economic policy is still good economic policy. Good defensive strategies/international relations are still the same, though the opposition has morphed.

Luckily, some of the social conservative standard bearers are no longer a factor (Jerry Falwell, Jim Baker, etc.), but much of social conservatism comes from faith-based, typically Christian, sources. The "creep" has been slower there. Though the Bible has been canonized for many centuries, some of the newer translations have watered down or even altered very clear language to align the Bible more with the social beliefs of today. I'm not wanting to start a debate on religion or touch a third rail, but the fact that there are translations that are doing this is a noteworthy fact as the Bible has been such an "anchor" in the social conservatives position. That anchor is slipping for adherents that embrace the revised doctrinal sources.

So, though conservatives of the two eras may be somewhat different, I'd say that a greater percentage of the conservatives today stem from an accurate understanding of history, economics, and organizational dynamics than from social conservatism alone. Not that the principles don't significantly overlap between the two eras, but the nexus of the principles often do.
Trust Me!!!

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#87 Post by K Hale »

The third rail got touched a long time ago. That’s why I am mostly staying OUT of this discussion — let alone the other one. :lol:
I didn't realize you were so addicted to pool.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!