So . . .

For discussions about the new CBS Magnum P.I. reboot

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Rands
Rear Admiral

Re: So . . .

#16 Post by Rands »

Conch:
Just to make sure I am in full understanding, were you drinking vodka or gin martinis, olive or onion garnish? Your turning to the sweet, medicinal bliss of alcohol, reminds me how I deal with my lovely wife's family. For those questioning my methods, I drink very high end vodka, chilled to a syrup consistency, straight. I recommend it for any intolerable family, or social occasion.

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#17 Post by ConchRepublican »

Rands wrote:Conch:
Just to make sure I am in full understanding, were you drinking vodka or gin martinis, olive or onion garnish? Your turning to the sweet, medicinal bliss of alcohol, reminds me how I deal with my lovely wife's family. For those questioning my methods, I drink very high end vodka, chilled to a syrup consistency, straight. I recommend it for any intolerable family, or social occasion.
Vodka martini's, jalapeno stuffed olives with a teaspoon of olive juice and a dash of vermouth, shaken. Preferred vodka is Chopin but regular use is Tito's. Vodka always pours straight from the freezer.
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

Rands
Rear Admiral

#18 Post by Rands »

Yes, I too am a big Chopin vodka fan, and it's wonderful cousin, Belvedere. At times it can be a hard choice, potato or grain vodka, but one must endure!

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#19 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

Lily wrote:Here is another one who will not be watching. Really tried to keep an open mind but thought the re-boot was absolutely awful and is the third re-boot Lenkov has totally screwed up.
Think Conch was right when he said there was no reason to call this new show Magnum.
Now that's a really good insight by the Conchmeister, in 10 words he sums it up perfectly.
But Lily, please reconsider not watching. If one puts aside her/his understandable anger at the clueless producers, you might find there is much to be mined entertainment wise in bad television. How much more stupid can this train wreck get, I for one wouldn't miss finding out.
Rumor has it an upcoming episode has a past his prime Don Johnson as Miami PI Luther Gillis, sporting a pot belly and sans his wig.
I can just see Luther bedding a besotted Higgins after seducing her with snappy patter about his adventures with his ex partner Chucky.
Starry eyed Higgins afterwards referring to him solely as "Luther the Love Bandit".
The sky's the limit with the new Magnum brain trust, it's gonna get weird early, so bad it might become legendary.
Besides, you will be kicking yourself in future years when a entire section of Magnum Mania is devoted to the episodes of the remake, which will never be telecast or released again.
That's what happened with the remake of Route 66, all 4 episodes have been deep sixed. I'm on a Route 66 site with hundreds of members and only a very few of us saw the remake, the rest would love to see it just to see how awful it was. It went from being possibly one of the top 5 best written series in history(the original series that is) to the utter crap color remake.
Come on guys, stick with it, if only for one more episode.

"You know Porcupine, for a guy without brains you're a genius."
- Moe, to Larry

Lily
Fleet Admiral

#20 Post by Lily »

Luther's nephew Dobie wrote:
Lily wrote:Here is another one who will not be watching. Really tried to keep an open mind but thought the re-boot was absolutely awful and is the third re-boot Lenkov has totally screwed up.
Think Conch was right when he said there was no reason to call this new show Magnum.
Now that's a really good insight by the Conchmeister, in 10 words he sums it up perfectly.
But Lily, please reconsider not watching. If one puts aside her/his understandable anger at the clueless producers, you might find there is much to be mined entertainment wise in bad television. How much more stupid can this train wreck get, I for one wouldn't miss finding out.
Rumor has it an upcoming episode has a past his prime Don Johnson as Miami PI Luther Gillis, sporting a pot belly and sans his wig.
I can just see Luther bedding a besotted Higgins after seducing her with snappy patter about his adventures with his ex partner Chucky.
Starry eyed Higgins afterwards referring to him solely as "Luther the Love Bandit".
The sky's the limit with the new Magnum brain trust, it's gonna get weird early, so bad it might become legendary.
Besides, you will be kicking yourself in future years when a entire section of Magnum Mania is devoted to the episodes of the remake, which will never be telecast or released again.
That's what happened with the remake of Route 66, all 4 episodes have been deep sixed. I'm on a Route 66 site with hundreds of members and only a very few of us saw the remake, the rest would love to see it just to see how awful it was. It went from being possibly one of the top 5 best written series in history(the original series that is) to the utter crap color remake.
Come on guys, stick with it, if only for one more episode.

Sorry but there is nothing that could entice me to watch a second episode, and the same goes for this season of 5-0

Chris109
Fleet Admiral

#21 Post by Chris109 »

Luther's nephew Dobie wrote: Rumor has it an upcoming episode has a past his prime Don Johnson as Miami PI Luther Gillis, sporting a pot belly and sans his wig.
Except after being pistol whipped, Luther would say something like, "This is nothing. Why, back in Miami, some chiquita blew up my Ferrari Daytona with my ex-partner Tubby inside. Poor Tubby. Burned to a crisp. But at least I got a Testarossa out of the whole deal. But, boy, did I miss that Daytona."

Bob12706
Ensign

#22 Post by Bob12706 »

Change the channel if you don’t like it, but it meant enough for you to comment here. Interesting‽

KingKC
Fleet Admiral

#23 Post by KingKC »

I wasn't sure where to put this comment but the new MPI has completely renewed my interest in the reruns of the original MPI which is currently being shown by Starz-Encore Classic at 7PM-Central. Even some of the original shows that were not all that memorable are still well produced, directed and acted. The bantering/bickering between Higgins and TM is much more lively and the Rick/TC relationships with TM are much more fun to watch. Rick and TC each had much more personality than the new ones. TM actually does more of his own investigating. I think the new MPI will hang on for a couple of years and maybe a little more. It will never come close to matching the success of the original, though.

Kevster
Fleet Admiral

#24 Post by Kevster »

KingKC wrote:I wasn't sure where to put this comment but the new MPI has completely renewed my interest in the reruns of the original MPI which is currently being shown by Starz-Encore Classic at 7PM-Central. Even some of the original shows that were not all that memorable are still well produced, directed and acted. The bantering/bickering between Higgins and TM is much more lively and the Rick/TC relationships with TM are much more fun to watch. Rick and TC each had much more personality than the new ones. TM actually does more of his own investigating. I think the new MPI will hang on for a couple of years and maybe a little more. It will never come close to matching the success of the original, though.
Not on Encore at that time anymore. They just moved it to mid-morning and filled the former slot with Friday Night Lights.

I've not watched MPI 2 since the premier. Just no burning interest.
Trust Me!!!

KingKC
Fleet Admiral

#25 Post by KingKC »

Kevster wrote:
KingKC wrote:I wasn't sure where to put this comment but the new MPI has completely renewed my interest in the reruns of the original MPI which is currently being shown by Starz-Encore Classic at 7PM-Central. Even some of the original shows that were not all that memorable are still well produced, directed and acted. The bantering/bickering between Higgins and TM is much more lively and the Rick/TC relationships with TM are much more fun to watch. Rick and TC each had much more personality than the new ones. TM actually does more of his own investigating. I think the new MPI will hang on for a couple of years and maybe a little more. It will never come close to matching the success of the original, though.
Not on Encore at that time anymore. They just moved it to mid-morning and filled the former slot with Friday Night Lights.

I've not watched MPI 2 since the premier. Just no burning interest.
I guess that means it's time to program the DVR!

Nifty911
Captain

#26 Post by Nifty911 »

In my opinion, they blew this really bad. I got into a debate with a person on another board who had argued this reboot was for a "new generation" of audience they intended to go after.

Ok, then why try to redo it to begin with?
Why not incorporate story lines from the original series, and have this series as a continuation?

You will never replace Tom Selleck or any of the original cast members (the reboot attempt at that is horrible now).
The use of the dogs is stupid.
Higgins as a woman.....there is just no chemistry.
The Rick and TC characters, bad actors. Not remotely interesting.

About 8 years ago I posted a suggestion on this board, that they could reboot Magnum but use his daughter (grown up detective) as the lead character, and then they could even bring Tom in for an episode now and then. There are so many things they could do with that. I think that would certainly keep the attention of those fans of the original series.

Amian
Admiral

#27 Post by Amian »

Nifty911 wrote:In my opinion, they blew this really bad. ... You will never replace Tom Selleck or any of the original cast members (the reboot attempt at that is horrible now).
The use of the dogs is stupid.
Higgins as a woman.....there is just no chemistry.
The Rick and TC characters, bad actors. Not remotely interesting.
The Higgins, Rick, and TC actors are pretty good, I think. It's still a little bit of a jolt to see them each time, but they're doing what they can with the subpar writing, which I think is the real culprit.
Nifty911 wrote: About 8 years ago I posted a suggestion on this board, that they could reboot Magnum but use his daughter (grown up detective) as the lead character, and then they could even bring Tom in for an episode now and then. There are so many things they could do with that. I think that would certainly keep the attention of those fans of the original series.
I believe this has been discussed a bit, and even came close(ish?) to happening. I would have really liked to see it go this direction.

giant_albatross
Lieutenant Commander

#28 Post by giant_albatross »

Rands wrote:Conch:
I believe he was or is a bartender. Not sure how I know that, maybe from reading this site or maybe from those ads on Cozi TV a few years ago. Lol