Jay Hernandez and Twitter

For discussions about the new CBS Magnum P.I. reboot

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Does taking an active political stance on Twitter help or hurt a show?

No - having an opinion helps people understand you and creates a connection with the viewers
8%
Yes - taking a side alienates a portion of the audience
69%
It doesn't matter - people are immune to extreme social media today
23%

Total votes: 13

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

Re: Jay Hernandez and Twitter

#31 Post by K Hale »

ConchRepublican wrote:
Amian wrote:
K Hale wrote:Well, it’s not really a question of whether Selleck would. He’s still alive after all, and is younger than some actors who do have a social media presence. He would be doing it if he wanted to. Apparently he does not.
For sure, Selleck could now, but does not want seem to want to do so. (Never checked to see if he has a social media account) But perhaps he might have chosen to do so at a different point in his life. We all have adopted and given up certain things in our life for various reasons over the years. To keep the focus on Selleck, perhaps he did more interviews or other things (like Battle of the Network Stars) that he may have now decided are unnecessary or tired.
Selleck has made it clear in the past he's not a "computer guy". I think I saw in an interview a few years ago that he has only sent one email in his life, he doesn't feel the need for it. I wonder if that will change now with his arthritis, he doesn't seem the "dictate a letter" type and hand writing one must be very difficult for him.
Having different tools/ways to accomplish things is always good. Options are good.

The one I am somewhat surprised never got into it is Hillerman. He was a total gadget guru and self-described early adopter of various technologies, as well as being the first person Larry Manetti knew who owned a cell phone. I've seen a photo of him from not very many years ago with a flat screen computer monitor in the background, at least.
I didn't realize you were so addicted to pool.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

Amian
Admiral

#32 Post by Amian »

T.Q. wrote: I personally don't get it.

I'm Canadian* so have no skin in the game with US politics.

However, with Trump's kids marrying Jews, Ivanka converting to Judaism, and in effect making Trump's Grandchildren Jewish, I find these Tweets rather distasteful.

Plus the fact they MUST hurt ratings. Although I don't think it went viral or anything. Jay is not that popular.
I get your point, but not being able to vote and not having any skin in the game are two different things. U.S. politics has a significant impact on what goes on in Canada.

If Jay Hernandez isn't that popular, I'd expect his tweets will have a minimal impact on ratings.

Amian
Admiral

#33 Post by Amian »

ConchRepublican wrote:
sandbiscuits wrote:
T.Q. wrote:
Seen his tweets recently.

Today he called 60M Americans Nazis.

That can’t be good for ratings. :shock:
That's a heck of a quote. He just put that out there like that?
Not in so many words, but an image is worth a thousand of them . . .
Okay, so he didn't say that 60 million people are Nazis. He is implying that the MAGA movement will lead to fascism. That is a viewpoint both shared and rejected by a lot of people.

If the question is how the tweet relates to MPI ratings, I suppose we'd want to look at how much overlap there is between MPI viewers and Trump supporters, and how many of those people are on Twitter. Since TV ratings focus on gender, age and race, I suppose you could get some sort of broad handle on the subject.

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#34 Post by ConchRepublican »

K Hale wrote:
ConchRepublican wrote:
Amian wrote:
For sure, Selleck could now, but does not want seem to want to do so. (Never checked to see if he has a social media account) But perhaps he might have chosen to do so at a different point in his life. We all have adopted and given up certain things in our life for various reasons over the years. To keep the focus on Selleck, perhaps he did more interviews or other things (like Battle of the Network Stars) that he may have now decided are unnecessary or tired.
Selleck has made it clear in the past he's not a "computer guy". I think I saw in an interview a few years ago that he has only sent one email in his life, he doesn't feel the need for it. I wonder if that will change now with his arthritis, he doesn't seem the "dictate a letter" type and hand writing one must be very difficult for him.
Having different tools/ways to accomplish things is always good. Options are good.

The one I am somewhat surprised never got into it is Hillerman. He was a total gadget guru and self-described early adopter of various technologies, as well as being the first person Larry Manetti knew who owned a cell phone. I've seen a photo of him from not very many years ago with a flat screen computer monitor in the background, at least.
I think Hillerman's reason was privacy. He did a few things after Magnum ended then seemed to pretty much drop off the map. His estate in Texas seems to support that as well. I was always surprised we didn't hear more about him, or at least his interests.
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#35 Post by K Hale »

ConchRepublican wrote:
K Hale wrote:
ConchRepublican wrote: Selleck has made it clear in the past he's not a "computer guy". I think I saw in an interview a few years ago that he has only sent one email in his life, he doesn't feel the need for it. I wonder if that will change now with his arthritis, he doesn't seem the "dictate a letter" type and hand writing one must be very difficult for him.

I think Hillerman's reason was privacy. He did a few things after Magnum ended then seemed to pretty much drop off the map. His estate in Texas seems to support that as well. I was always surprised we didn't hear more about him, or at least his interests.
You mean after he retired? I agree. He was a very private person. I saw it mentioned once that he was writing a book (which is probably what he used the computer for), but never heard anything more about that.

He had said before that he only liked to read and act...
I didn't realize you were so addicted to pool.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

marlboro
Baron Of GIFs

#36 Post by marlboro »

I'm so sick of politics. To hell with both sides, imo. Hearing people rant and rave about it certainly doesn't make me more inclined to like them.

MagnumsLeftShoulder
Fleet Admiral

#37 Post by MagnumsLeftShoulder »

So he's not just a loon? He's an a**hole. I haven't watched and I still won't. Interesting though, that he didn't get banned from Twitter for throwing out Nazi crap while others have been banned for far less. F.U. Mr. Hernandez. And twitter SUCKS!

Chris109
Fleet Admiral

#38 Post by Chris109 »

MagnumsLeftShoulder wrote:So he's not just a loon? He's an a**hole. I haven't watched and I still won't. Interesting though, that he didn't get banned from Twitter for throwing out Nazi crap while others have been banned for far less. F.U. Mr. Hernandez. And twitter SUCKS!
If Louie, Louie Farra-KHAN, is still on Twatter,
why would they ban Jay "Mr. Diversity" Hernandez?

ConchRepublican

#39 Post by ConchRepublican »

OK gentlemen, let's pump the brakes on this.

Again, civil discussion is fine, but once we start with names calling and language things tend to disgress.

Please keep things above board and respectful like we always do here.
CoziTV Superfan spot

MagnumsLeftShoulder
Fleet Admiral

#40 Post by MagnumsLeftShoulder »

Again, civil discussion is fine, but once we start with names calling and language things tend to disgress.
Yeah, I figured you'd say that, but I was shocked by the tweet besides I doubt the dude even knows about this website because he likely did no research before taking the role. :) Anyway, last week when I looked at his twitter I thought it was pretty mild compared to some celebs; but then he went nuts and dropped the Nazi bomb! I wonder if he knew he got a spike in views from somewhere (magnum-maniacs) so he decided to throw down the gauntlet. :roll:
Last edited by MagnumsLeftShoulder on Fri Nov 02, 2018 12:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

KingKC
Fleet Admiral

#41 Post by KingKC »

ConchRepublican wrote:OK gentlemen, let's pump the brakes on this.

Thanx, Conch!!! And thanx to whoever put the poll on the forum. I am assuming it was Conch.

ConchRepublican

#42 Post by ConchRepublican »

MagnumsLeftShoulder wrote:
Yeah, I figured you'd say that, but I was shocked by the tweet besides I doubt the dude even knows about this website because he likely did no research before taking the role. :) Anyway, last week when I looked at his twitter I thought it was pretty mild compared to some celebs; but then he went nuts and dropped the Nazi bomb! I wonder if he knew he got a spike in views from somewhere (magnum-maniacs) so he decided to throw down the gauntlet. :roll:
I was shocked too, which is why I responded to him about it on Twitter. I don't like anyone throwing around "Nazi", IMO the comparisons minimize the awful truth of what they did.

But this has always been a friendly place where all Magnum fans feel welcome. Being upset about something related to the show and showing displeasure is fine, it's how it's relayed that is important.

I loosened a bit of the strings regarding conversation here because most of us are long timers who respect and understand each other. I don't want us to get too comfortable where we loose that.

It's a delicate balance and an important one to make sure one is heard.
CoziTV Superfan spot

ConchRepublican

#43 Post by ConchRepublican »

KingKC wrote:

Thanx, Conch!!! And thanx to whoever put the poll on the forum. I am assuming it was Conch.
You are welcome and yes, it was me.
CoziTV Superfan spot

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

#44 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

ConchRepublican wrote:
MagnumsLeftShoulder wrote:
I was shocked too, which is why I responded to him about it on Twitter. I don't like anyone throwing around "Nazi", IMO the comparisons minimize the awful truth of what they did.

But this has always been a friendly place where all Magnum fans feel welcome. Being upset about something related to the show and showing displeasure is fine, it's how it's relayed that is important.

I loosened a bit of the strings regarding conversation here because most of us are long timers who respect and understand each other. I don't want us to get too comfortable where we loose that.

It's a delicate balance and an important one to make sure one is heard.
Agreed completely with you, Conch! MiniMag is a doofus and anyone else for that matter who compares Trump to Hitler or Trump supporters to Nazis. Clearly these people are ignorant and need to hit the textbooks. Hitler KILLED people. Stalin KILLED people. How many of his opponents has Trump executed so far?? Someone needs to send Hernandez a note (I'm not on Twitter so I can't) that if Trump was Hitler then he (Hernandez) would no longer be among the living. All these Trump opponents are spewing vile hatred against him day after day and yet they're all still alive. How is this possible, if Trump is Hitler/Nazi?????? I don't get it.

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#45 Post by T.Q. »

ConchRepublican wrote:
KingKC wrote:

You are welcome and yes, it was me.
We are definitely seeing a big difference these days between “taking a side [that] alienates a portion of the audience” and the completely over-the-top rhetoric.

And thanks for your reminders and welcoming us newbies to the board.
Knocking my rubber chicken or my sloppy habits is within the rules, but you're attacking my character. I would like to think you don't mean that.