Season 1 Episode 7: The Cat Who Cried Wolf (1.7)

For discussions about the new CBS Magnum P.I. reboot

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

How Would You Rate This Episode?

10 (Perfect!)
No votes
9.5 (One of the Best)
6%
9.0 (Excellent)
No votes
8.5 (Very Good)
6%
8.0 (Pretty Good)
13%
7.5 (Decent)
25%
7.0 (Average at Best)
19%
6.5 (Not So Good)
No votes
6.0 (Pretty Bad)
No votes
5.0 (Just Awful)
6%
0.0 (Refuse to Watch)
25%

Total votes: 16

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

Season 1 Episode 7: The Cat Who Cried Wolf (1.7)

#1 Post by KENJI »

Thanks for the title Karolis!
Last edited by KENJI on Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Rembrandt's Girl
Fleet Admiral

Re: Season 1 Episode 7: The Cat Who Cried Worl (1.7)

#2 Post by Rembrandt's Girl »

This one's for you, Steve! Well, and I guess also Dobie, et al. :D When I saw this episode's title I remembered this pic...

You're welcome. :wink:

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#3 Post by KENJI »

The Hawaiian shirt and robe make an appearance in this episode, other than that it was a sleeper of an episode.
For a flub.....check out Magnum's cut on his forehead that moves around from one scene to the next!
Doesn't anyone watch for these things on the set!!
Back to the shirt and robe......they are different from the originals.

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#4 Post by ConchRepublican »

KENJI wrote:The Hawaiian shirt and robe make an appearance in this episode, other than that it was a sleeper of an episode.
For a flub.....check out Magnum's cut on his forehead that moves around from one scene to the next!
It was mentioned on another thread he referred to himself as a "P.I."?
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

#5 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Yes that's what I noticed. MiniMag got a brand new Hawaiian shirt at the end of the episode (presumably as a gift from Shiggins?) and in the preview for next week's episode MiniMag is rocking that shirt all over the place. So I'm guessing this will be "the shirt" going forward, sort of like TM's iconic red jungle bird shirt (of which I am a proud owner :)). Of course TM had a few other Hawaiian shirts as well and maybe MiniMag will too. But the red one was "the shirt".

I don't think I noticed the robe. Where was that? It wasn't a green robe I'm guessing.

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#6 Post by Steve »

ConchRepublican wrote:
KENJI wrote:The Hawaiian shirt and robe make an appearance in this episode, other than that it was a sleeper of an episode.
Actually, he referred to himself as a private detective???? Higgins did give the shirt to Magnum as she had borrowed one of his shirts to train the lads to attack and he will be wearing it next week.
There was more mention of a woman in his past that seems to have messed him up when it comes to relationships.
Det. Gordon Katsumoto again seems so wooden that I am wondering if they told him to be like Joe Friday and it is starting to get on my nerves. This Magnum is terrible at picking locks and it might help if he looked at the dogs to help him out........
Oh, and you can drop a gun in the ocean in the dead of night, leap into the water, grab it as it plunges to the bottom and shoot the bad guy.........Oh well, I still love Perdita!

KingKC
Fleet Admiral

#7 Post by KingKC »

Well I think this episode made it official that Shiggins is TM's sidekick in the investigations. Shiggins sure seems to have little to do with the estate or the local social scene compared to the original Higgins.

ENSHealy
Fleet Admiral

#8 Post by ENSHealy »

I'm sure I'm jousting windmills but I gave it a shot this morning.

Ensign Healy
Scholar in Residence
The Institute for Advanced Magnum Studies

"I woke up one day at 53 and realized I'd never been 23."

ENSHealy
Fleet Admiral

#9 Post by ENSHealy »

In one scene, where we see him driving from above, he makes a comment about the "p.i. life" or "life of a p.i.", something like that, then in a later scene Kumu says something about being a cat [[insert a word I didn't catch here]] and Minimag replies "cat detective."

I nearly came out of my chair.
Ensign Healy
Scholar in Residence
The Institute for Advanced Magnum Studies

"I woke up one day at 53 and realized I'd never been 23."

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#10 Post by KENJI »

Steve wrote:
ConchRepublican wrote:
Actually, he referred to himself as a private detective???? Higgins did give the shirt to Magnum as she had borrowed one of his shirts to train the lads to attack and he will be wearing it next week.
There was more mention of a woman in his past that seems to have messed him up when it comes to relationships.
Det. Gordon Katsumoto again seems so wooden that I am wondering if they told him to be like Joe Friday and it is starting to get on my nerves. This Magnum is terrible at picking locks and it might help if he looked at the dogs to help him out........
Oh, and you can drop a gun in the ocean in the dead of night, leap into the water, grab it as it plunges to the bottom and shoot the bad guy.
Hi Steve,

I was rolling my eyes while watching the gun in the ocean scene as well - ridiculous :roll:
I agree, Katsumoto is extremely wooden and painful to watch....it appears they had him crack a tiny smile at one point in this episode so maybe he will loosen up down the road as he gets to know Magnum more. I'm not holding my breath though.
I'm sure the mystery woman that was once in Magnum's life will return at some point.....maybe in this season's final episode. It will be interesting to see how Higgins reacts to her.

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#11 Post by KENJI »

IvanTheTerrible wrote:Yes that's what I noticed. MiniMag got a brand new Hawaiian shirt at the end of the episode (presumably as a gift from Shiggins?) and in the preview for next week's episode MiniMag is rocking that shirt all over the place. So I'm guessing this will be "the shirt" going forward, sort of like TM's iconic red jungle bird shirt (of which I am a proud owner :)). Of course TM had a few other Hawaiian shirts as well and maybe MiniMag will too. But the red one was "the shirt".

I don't think I noticed the robe. Where was that? It wasn't a green robe I'm guessing.
He was wearing the robe when the lads were being trained by Higgins and you're right it wasn't green - thank goodness.

I'm sure the Hawaiian shirt that Higgins gave him will be "the shirt" going forward. I'm happy they "retired" Selleck's jungle bird shirt.

ConchRepublican

#12 Post by ConchRepublican »

ENSHealy wrote:I'm sure I'm jousting windmills but I gave it a shot this morning.

Following!
CoziTV Superfan spot

ConchRepublican

#13 Post by ConchRepublican »

So, was this a nod to The Ugliest Dog in Hawaii?
CoziTV Superfan spot

KingKC
Fleet Admiral

#14 Post by KingKC »

ConchRepublican wrote:So, was this a nod to The Ugliest Dog in Hawaii?
I was thinking that myself. Now we need to re-create a horse episode and a dolphin episode just to be complete.

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#15 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

Rembrandt's Girl wrote:This one's for you, Steve! Well, and I guess also Dobie, et al. :D When I saw this episode's title I remembered this pic...

You're welcome. :wink:

Thanks for that picture, Rembrandts Girl. As for Perdita, "well hush my puppies, in my neck of the Piney Woods we'd say she's as fit as a Bollweevil at chitlin' time", as they say in South Jersey.

"Come Lads. We still have time to catch the last 10 minutes of Lassie"...Higgins(Mac's Back)