Season 1 Episode 3: The Woman Who Never Died (1.3)

For discussions about the new CBS Magnum P.I. reboot

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

How Would You Rate This Episode?

10 (Perfect!)
No votes
9.5 (One of the Best)
No votes
9.0 (Excellent)
No votes
8.5 (Very Good)
6%
8.0 (Pretty Good)
6%
7.5 (Decent)
18%
7.0 (Average at Best)
6%
6.5 (Not So Good)
12%
6.0 (Pretty Bad)
18%
5.0 (Just Awful)
18%
0.0 (Refuse to Watch)
18%

Total votes: 17

ENSHealy
Fleet Admiral

Re: Season 1 Episode 3: The Woman Who Never Died (1.3)

#61 Post by ENSHealy »

OK, Rembrandt's Girl, if I've understood you correctly, they're shooting the exteriors where Mini Mag is golfing at the 49-3 Kamehameha Hwy location, and Chinaman's Hat would be in the background of those shots.

But when the shot turns toward the supposed house/guest house, that mountain view had to be taken at Kualoa Ranch, which is several miles away.

And also, there's nowhere near enough distance between the water and the house at 49-3 Kamehameha or 51 Kaikea in Kailua, so these shots of the estate we see (in the pilot the dogs chasing Mini Mag, in episode 3 Higgins walking out with the lads to confront Magnum about golfing toward the house) must be a compilation of multiple images and/or some CGI: a house, a long stretch of grassy area, and the mountains from Kualoa Ranch?

In other words, the "estate" can't possibly physically exist as presented?

Ensign Healy
Scholar in Residence
The Institute for Advanced Magnum Studies

"I woke up one day at 53 and realized I'd never been 23."

ENSHealy
Fleet Admiral

#62 Post by ENSHealy »

and these two shots are probably genuine background from the 49-3 Kamehameha location:

Ensign Healy
Scholar in Residence
The Institute for Advanced Magnum Studies

"I woke up one day at 53 and realized I'd never been 23."

eagle
Fleet Admiral

#63 Post by eagle »

Steve wrote:
ENSHealy wrote:What bothered me most about Luther is that he's now an island based p.i. that apparently Magnum has a regular poker game with, instead of a visitor from the mainland. So just using the name means nothing. If you want a regular whose from the islands, give him a different name and save Luther for when a mainland gumshoe is needed in a plot.
I agree, plus he just seems mean...........
Yes, this.

And, to this point, it's something else I meant to mention earlier. In the new series, the characters are downright insulting to one another. The dialog is quite unfriendly. We no longer have the friendly ribbing we had in RealMagnum, and I just don't want to watch this kind of show. For me, this comes from Philippians 4:8.

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#64 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

Rembrandt's Girl wrote:Hi guys :D

The background toward Chinaman's Hat is real. The filming location for those shoreline scenes is in my post here: http://magnum-mania.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=3608

The view of the "estate" is all CGI... the palm trees... everything is fake. I'm not sure where they got the house(s) they plopped there which make up the estate, but I do know the background is the Kualoa Ranch mountains. The other day I saw a split screen pic of the estate view with the mountains in the background, and the pic next to it was the actual Kualoa range they used, but I can't find that pic right now.
Hi Rembrandt's Girl,
You said you weren't "sure where they got the house they plopped there". I guess we should be happy they didn't just raid another once CBS show and plop in the mansion from the Beverly Hillbillies. And for the shore front, the lagoon from Gilligan's Island. Magnum's quarters could be the house from Green Acres.
Hmmm, this is actually working for me.

"Shoulder the sky, my lad, and drink your ale"...A.E. Houseman

Rembrandt's Girl
Fleet Admiral

#65 Post by Rembrandt's Girl »

ENSHealy wrote:OK, Rembrandt's Girl, if I've understood you correctly, they're shooting the exteriors where Mini Mag is golfing at the 49-3 Kamehameha Hwy location, and Chinaman's Hat would be in the background of those shots.

But when the shot turns toward the supposed house/guest house, that mountain view had to be taken at Kualoa Ranch, which is several miles away.

And also, there's nowhere near enough distance between the water and the house at 49-3 Kamehameha or 51 Kaikea in Kailua, so these shots of the estate we see (in the pilot the dogs chasing Mini Mag, in episode 3 Higgins walking out with the lads to confront Magnum about golfing toward the house) must be a compilation of multiple images and/or some CGI: a house, a long stretch of grassy area, and the mountains from Kualoa Ranch?

In other words, the "estate" can't possibly physically exist as presented?

Yes, you got it ENSHealy!

I have since found that CGI background at Kualoa Ranch here: https://www.google.com/maps/@21.5352478 ... 312!8i6656

HOWEVER, get this... they've used yet another fake CGI location for the estate! Near the beginning of the fish episode, they have an aerial shot approaching the estate. Notice what appears to be a fake fish pond wall in the water by the way!

This is actually the Moli'i Pond that they've "filled in" with the estate. (https://www.google.com/maps/@21.5055561 ... 192!8i4096) What's funny is, if you are standing where MiniMag was golfing and you're facing the water, look to the left and that's Mili'i Pond! :? :? :?

I don't quite understand why they're using different fake backgrounds for the estate? :roll:

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

#66 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Rembrandt's Girl wrote:

The background toward Chinaman's Hat is real. The filming location for those shoreline scenes is in my post here: http://magnum-mania.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=3608

The view of the "estate" is all CGI... the palm trees... everything is fake. I'm not sure where they got the house(s) they plopped there which make up the estate, but I do know the background is the Kualoa Ranch mountains. The other day I saw a split screen pic of the estate view with the mountains in the background, and the pic next to it was the actual Kualoa range they used, but I can't find that pic right now.
OK, I found it... note the mountain range profile. The bottom one was taken at Kualoa Ranch...
Thanks, RG! And that alone is reason enough to quit watching this show. It's insulting to feed the audience a CGI cut-and-paste hack job to try to sell us on this new estate. THERE IS NO ESTATE! This is all a fantasy place which does not exist in reality. A front gate from one place, portion of a backyard closer to the ocean from another place, extended backyard done completely using CGI (to add depth), a house that is either CGI or borrowed from somewhere else, and the Kualoa Ranch for the background skyline added in there too! While they're at it why not grab a few screencaps from New Zealand and the Philippines and Japan and stick it in there too?? That's modern-day MPI for ya! Geez, what a mess! Either find me a nice looking estate and film it there (like in the original) or don't bother at all. Not only should this be super-easy in beautiful Hawaii but it's downright unacceptable in this day and age to be doing this type of hodge-podge on a computer. What is this? Ed Wood B-movie style filming??? Does Lenkov think folks in 2018 are this dumb and won't notice??? But then this guy is all about fantasy and fakery so I shouldn't be surprised. The kind of crap he's pulled off on the Five-0 reboot you'd think you were watching some crazy Marvel comic book stuff (McGarrett using his fingers and toes to scale the side of a high-rise like Spider-Man, missiles flying through Honolulu, evil killer drones, etc.) instead of a down-to-earth police drama like the original was. :roll:

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#67 Post by T.Q. »

Some Grade-A sleuthing going on here. I’m impressed.
Last edited by T.Q. on Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Knocking my rubber chicken or my sloppy habits is within the rules, but you're attacking my character. I would like to think you don't mean that.

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#68 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

T.Q. wrote:
ENSHealy wrote:JUST. AWFUL.

I cringed at that comedy actor when he said Luther H. Gillis.
Ironically, I originally thought them making Higgins a younger woman was the most dumb of all the ideas... turns out I think she’s the ONLY bright spot about the show.
Anyways... yuck.
T.Q.,
I agree, that 'actor' portraying Luther hadn't the slightest clue, to say he walked thru the part would be to give him too much credit. Probably one of
the producer's bookies and he let him appear to pay off a debt. As for New Higgins, I think you are spot on, T.Q.
Perita Weeks is saddled with what the producers and writers gave her to portray the role, it's not her fault, and is gamely trying to do something with it.
Every shot she is in, she steals effortlessly, the viewer is focusing on her reactions even when it's a Magnum oriented scene. She's apparently the only
real actor on the show except for the guy portraying Buck Greene.
And let's be real fellas, she is a stone fox, just watching her move is a bonus, her voice is like poured honey and if she purred in your ear I doubt any here
would object. I wish they had cast her as Digger Doyle and got some distinguished Brit actor from the West End to portray Higgins as originally intended.
Someone posted on one of the Boards here - forgot where - something about Larry portraying Ice Pick? Does anyone have a update? Thank you.

Rembrandt's Girl
Fleet Admiral

#69 Post by Rembrandt's Girl »

Luther's nephew Dobie wrote:

Hi Rembrandt's Girl,
You said you weren't "sure where they got the house they plopped there". I guess we should be happy they didn't just raid another once CBS show and plop in the mansion from the Beverly Hillbillies. And for the shore front, the lagoon from Gilligan's Island. Magnum's quarters could be the house from Green Acres.
Hmmm, this is actually working for me.

"Shoulder the sky, my lad, and drink your ale"...A.E. Houseman
Dobie, you are too funny! Maybe Lenkov didn't use the Beverly Hillbillies mansion because that's his next reboot.

Rembrandt's Girl
Fleet Admiral

#70 Post by Rembrandt's Girl »

IvanTheTerrible wrote: Thanks, RG! And that alone is reason enough to quit watching this show. It's insulting to feed the audience a CGI cut-and-paste hack job to try to sell us on this new estate. THERE IS NO ESTATE! This is all a fantasy place which does not exist in reality. A front gate from one place, portion of a backyard closer to the ocean from another place, extended backyard done completely using CGI (to add depth), a house that is either CGI or borrowed from somewhere else, and the Kualoa Ranch for the background skyline added in there too! While they're at it why not grab a few screencaps from New Zealand and the Philippines and Japan and stick it in there too?? That's modern-day MPI for ya! Geez, what a mess! Either find me a nice looking estate and film it there (like in the original) or don't bother at all. Not only should this be super-easy in beautiful Hawaii but it's downright unacceptable in this day and age to be doing this type of hodge-podge on a computer. What is this? Ed Wood B-movie style filming??? Does Lenkov think folks in 2018 are this dumb and won't notice??? But then this guy is all about fantasy and fakery so I shouldn't be surprised. The kind of crap he's pulled off on the Five-0 reboot you'd think you were watching some crazy Marvel comic book stuff (McGarrett using his fingers and toes to scale the side of a high-rise like Spider-Man, missiles flying through Honolulu, evil killer drones, etc.) instead of a down-to-earth police drama like the original was. :roll:
I didn't post my thoughts before about the CGI estate but it really bothers me too, Ivan. As we've said here before, Pahonu was another character on our Magnum, and an important one in my book! My favorite episodes are those that have a lot of Pahonu footage. I haven't felt the slightest "connection" to their new estate because, as you said, it's piecemeal and isn't real. How can you feel a connection to a place that doesn't exist?

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

#71 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Rembrandt's Girl wrote:
IvanTheTerrible wrote: Thanks, RG! And that alone is reason enough to quit watching this show. It's insulting to feed the audience a CGI cut-and-paste hack job to try to sell us on this new estate. THERE IS NO ESTATE! This is all a fantasy place which does not exist in reality. A front gate from one place, portion of a backyard closer to the ocean from another place, extended backyard done completely using CGI (to add depth), a house that is either CGI or borrowed from somewhere else, and the Kualoa Ranch for the background skyline added in there too! While they're at it why not grab a few screencaps from New Zealand and the Philippines and Japan and stick it in there too?? That's modern-day MPI for ya! Geez, what a mess! Either find me a nice looking estate and film it there (like in the original) or don't bother at all. Not only should this be super-easy in beautiful Hawaii but it's downright unacceptable in this day and age to be doing this type of hodge-podge on a computer. What is this? Ed Wood B-movie style filming??? Does Lenkov think folks in 2018 are this dumb and won't notice??? But then this guy is all about fantasy and fakery so I shouldn't be surprised. The kind of crap he's pulled off on the Five-0 reboot you'd think you were watching some crazy Marvel comic book stuff (McGarrett using his fingers and toes to scale the side of a high-rise like Spider-Man, missiles flying through Honolulu, evil killer drones, etc.) instead of a down-to-earth police drama like the original was. :roll:
I didn't post my thoughts before about the CGI estate but it really bothers me too, Ivan. As we've said here before, Pahonu was another character on our Magnum, and an important one in my book! My favorite episodes are those that have a lot of Pahonu footage. I haven't felt the slightest "connection" to their new estate because, as you said, it's piecemeal and isn't real. How can you feel a connection to a place that doesn't exist?
RG, spot on! Pahonu was another character on the show. Each time I saw it I wished I could live there and walk those grounds and swim in that tidal pool. You can't do that with this new one because it's a place that doesn't exist. It's an imaginary place. Furthermore the CGI concoction that we do get looks more like the grounds of a country club than a cozy enclosed place like Pahonu. It's just a vast green field - no wonder MiniMag is seen playing golf on it. Despite the place being stitched together to give it some sort of glorious and opulent look it totally lacks any character. Like I said, it's a country club. I half expect Noah Beery, Jr. to get out of his tiny car and go meet Seth Sakai hitting golf balls.

Gatchaman
Lieutenant Commander

#72 Post by Gatchaman »

Rembrandt's Girl wrote:

OK, I found it... note the mountain range profile. The bottom one was taken at Kualoa Ranch...
Well, to me, that earns them their lifetime Total Bullcrap card.
Commander of G-Force
Magnum's Secret Weapon

eagle
Fleet Admiral

#73 Post by eagle »

Wow. I had read somewhere (probably on these forums) that the estate used in the reboot was being filmed at multiple locations. I didn't realize that they were using CGI to merge them together -- I figured that the front of the estate would be filmed "here," while the back was filmed "there," in the way that the interior & exterior of Pahonu were edited together to make a house/estate that didn't really exist. And, in the way that RealMagnum was seen walking through toward the garage, as if his guest house was behind the garage, when in reality it was on the other end of the real property. At least those were real buildings filmed on a real property, even if the interior as shown didn't really exist and was filmed on a stage.

I didn't realize that for the reboot they were creating a completely made-up place, wow.

I personally love traveling to places I have seen on TV and in movies, and hate that I missed Pahonu. But this place doesn't even exist at all.

Just wow. (These are wows of disappointment, not excitement.)

karolis
Admiral

#74 Post by karolis »

eagle wrote:Wow. I had read somewhere (probably on these forums) that the estate used in the reboot was being filmed at multiple locations. I didn't realize that they were using CGI to merge them together -- I figured that the front of the estate would be filmed "here," while the back was filmed "there," in the way that the interior & exterior of Pahonu were edited together to make a house/estate that didn't really exist. And, in the way that RealMagnum was seen walking through toward the garage, as if his guest house was behind the garage, when in reality it was on the other end of the real property. At least those were real buildings filmed on a real property, even if the interior as shown didn't really exist and was filmed on a stage.

I didn't realize that for the reboot they were creating a completely made-up place, wow.

I personally love traveling to places I have seen on TV and in movies, and hate that I missed Pahonu. But this place doesn't even exist at all.

Just wow. (These are wows of disappointment, not excitement.)
You just can visit all the places that were used to merge it up - it's even more places to visit :D

eagle
Fleet Admiral

#75 Post by eagle »

karolis wrote:You just can visit all the places that were used to merge it up - it's even more places to visit :D
haha - nice

:o