Moderator: Styles Bitchley

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

Re: Pilot to Ep2 Ratings and Beyond

#16 Post by T.Q. »

Episode 3:

6M viewers.

Down another 300,000 eyeballs.
Knocking my rubber chicken or my sloppy habits is within the rules, but you're attacking my character. I would like to think you don't mean that.

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

Re: Pilot to Ep2 ratings

#17 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

T.Q. wrote:
MagnumsLeftShoulder wrote:
perfectlykevin wrote:Just curious, does anyone watch a tv show on network the night of airing? Can't say I've watched tv that way in about 5 yrs.
The few shows I watch, I always wait about 20 minutes after it starts to start watching. Some shows have commercial breaks that last longer than 5 minutes. T.Q. is right about how LOUD they are. It's ridiculous.
You get TV Land?
They air old M*A*S*H episodes.
Not only do they stretch the episodes to 40 minutes... they actually slice and dice scenes out of them.
Really ridiculous. 20 minutes commercials... for 20 minutes (edited) episode. LOL
Hi T.Q.
I think you might have mixed up which length episodes you were watching. When they run reruns in the expanded 40 minute versions, it is supposed to be - as they advertised when they first did it - the entire originally seen uncut episode. (Unless they changed the policy?) As MASH was newer as opposed to other
TVLAND series it has less content and thus more commercials than say the Andy Griffith Show.
A positive for the 40 minute showings is that for the first time in years I get to see the wrap up segments of the Andy Griffith Show, they often had the funniest lines of the episode as everything previous led up to a beautifully set up punchline/denouement.
On the other hand, that means there is 25 minutes of content versus 15 minutes of commercials, they usually run 8 minutes of content, then commercials which really breaks up the flow of the story. I always record the 40 minute ones then zip thru the commercials as I can't abide watching the "live" airing, the blocs of commercials really ruin it for me.

"Well I guess to sum it up, there's three reasons why there's so little crime in Mayberry.
There's Andy, there's me, and(patting gun) baby makes three"...Barney Fife

KingKC
Fleet Admiral

#18 Post by KingKC »

T.Q. wrote:Episode 3:

6M viewers.

Down another 300,000 eyeballs.
I think that is 600,000 eyeballs from 300,000 viewers...unless there are a lot more cyclops than I was aware of...lol

Gatchaman
Lieutenant Commander

#19 Post by Gatchaman »

About TV Land, they're awful. I tried to watch something this past weekend--I can't even remember what it was--but it was like T.Q. said...stretch out the episodes for more commercials, butchering the episode, and cutting a scene in half for a commercial break. It was unwatchable. That's too bad, too, because they have good stuff. But to watch anything, I'd have to DVR it.

As for the 300,000 less people who watched this week, I will be one of those statistics next week. I tried and I'm done.
Commander of G-Force
Magnum's Secret Weapon

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#20 Post by T.Q. »

Luther's nephew Dobie wrote:When they run reruns in the expanded 40 minute versions, it is supposed to be - as they advertised when they first did it - the entire originally seen uncut episode. (Unless they changed the policy?)

I know M*A*S*H so well (from reruns after school) that I know the scenes they cut short. Happens all the time so they definately changed their policy.

Drives me crazy.
Knocking my rubber chicken or my sloppy habits is within the rules, but you're attacking my character. I would like to think you don't mean that.

eagle
Fleet Admiral

#21 Post by eagle »

perfectlykevin wrote:Just curious, does anyone watch a tv show on network the night of airing? Can't say I've watched tv that way in about 5 yrs.
The only show I've watched live in the last 5+ years is the Magnum premier 2 weeks ago. We don't have cable, and we didn't bother to set up the antenna until just before Hurricane Florence came through ... and we left it up for the Magnum premier. I'm about to take it down.

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#22 Post by T.Q. »

8.1M to 6.3M to 6M to...

Episode 4:

5.5M?

Down another 500,000 viewers?

OUCH! :lol:

:magnum: :higgins:

KingKC
Fleet Admiral

#23 Post by KingKC »

I just read an article by Entertainment Weekly that classified the Magnum reboot (and other reboots) as a "soft launch." Then it classified the return of Last Man Standing as a "winner." The new MPI had 6-8M or so viewers for it first few shows and Last Man Standing was "averaging" about 8M and leading all Friday night shows. I guess the difference in Monday night and Friday night is the reason for the different descriptions of success.

I also wonder why CBS put the new MPI on Monday nights where it has to compete with Monday Night Football at least in the fall. That seems like a death wish to me. Maybe they thought the female audience would be enough to support MPI but Hernandez is definitely no Selleck (according to my wife). But ABC is successful with The Good Doctor on Mondays and CBS moved Bull to Monday nights. If anyone can make sense out of these slottings please educate me.

eagle
Fleet Admiral

#24 Post by eagle »

KingKC wrote:If anyone can make sense out of these slottings please educate me.
I don't understand it myself, and I forget that people still watch live TV. Except for the Magnum premier a few weeks back, I have not watched live TV in years. Unless you count MLB, and that is rare and even then it is through mlb.tv or the app on my iPhone/iPad.

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#25 Post by T.Q. »

Here’s what I don’t get.

“Magnum P.I. reaches more than nine million viewers each week”.

Watching it go from 8 - 6 - 5.5M.

Unless there are 3 - 3.5 million DVR viewers... I don’t get it.

https://variety.com/2018/tv/news/god-fr ... 202986556/

eagle
Fleet Admiral

#26 Post by eagle »

Maybe it's people viewing on cbs.com, like I was.

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#27 Post by T.Q. »

eagle wrote:Maybe it's people viewing on cbs.com, like I was.
Guess so.

Thx.

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#28 Post by T.Q. »

Ep5:

Held steady @ 5.6M total viewers but lowest key demo (18-49) the show has gotten (down 7% from last week).

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#29 Post by T.Q. »

Ep. 6:

Down 42,000 viewers from last week @ 5.59M.

- 1.23% in key demo.

Lowest key demo number ( 0.8 ) of the new Magmum so far.
Last edited by T.Q. on Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Amian
Admiral

#30 Post by Amian »

I'm very much in the dark with how ratings are tabulated nowadays, and I apologize if this has been addressed elsewhere, but are Nielsen ratings important anymore? Since everything is digital (cable, satellite, Internet), can't the numbers be tabulated in total rather than based on select places with a Nielsen box?

And if something is watched on a DVR or On Demand within a certain time period, does it become part of the ratings?