Diversity

For discussions about the new CBS Magnum P.I. reboot

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Amian
Admiral

Re: Diversity

#46 Post by Amian »

IvanTheTerrible wrote:Grant was from Ohio, Lee was from Virginia. Lee supported/led the side that he was from. I doubt someone from the South would fight on the Union side, and certainly not lead them. I'm sure he felt he was fighting on the right side and for him his cause was a just cause. We're looking at this through modern-day glasses and using words like treason and secession. I'm sure these things weren't as clean-cut back then. We were still a very young nation at the time. Who was the North to dictate to the South what they should do?
Secession is exactly what it was called back then. That's not a modern day viewpoint.

Okay, let's say Lee viewed his side as just. Do we view his cause and the principles of the Confederacy as just today? Because this is what continuing to honor Confederate leaders by naming buildings and putting (or keeping) statues of them in public spaces suggests.

As for question of "who was the North to dictate to the South," it was a matter of decisions made at the level of Congress, which has representation from all the states. That's how representative democracy works.

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#47 Post by Pahonu »

IvanTheTerrible wrote:Grant was from Ohio, Lee was from Virginia. Lee supported/led the side that he was from. I doubt someone from the South would fight on the Union side, and certainly not lead them. I'm sure he felt he was fighting on the right side and for him his cause was a just cause. We're looking at this through modern-day glasses and using words like treason and secession. I'm sure these things weren't as clean-cut back then. We were still a very young nation at the time. Who was the North to dictate to the South what they should do?
Sectionalism was indeed paramount in the 19th century. However, many individuals crossed sides in both directions, even within individual families as is well documented. Also, several slave-holding states remained in the Union, including Kentucky, Missouri, Maryland, and Delaware. West Virginia seceded from Virginia to remain in the Union. This was just not as simple as "siding" with your state. The issue of slavery was central to these decisions.

Lincoln's election as a Republican, the party founded based on the abolition movement, was the pivotal event leading to South Carolina's secession. Lincoln was fairly elected by all voters in 1860. It's a fascinating election to study, with four candidates gathering at a minimum 10% of the popular vote, and all four carrying at least one state in the electoral college. Lincoln won with just about 40% of the popular vote, but a clear majority in the electoral college. The slave-holding states essentially split there votes among the remaining three candidates, with Missouri even voting for the Northern Democrat Stephen Douglas. No matter how unique this election was, it was in no way a dictate by the northern states.

Kevster
Fleet Admiral

#48 Post by Kevster »

Pahonu wrote:
Sectionalism was indeed paramount in the 19th century. However, many individuals crossed sides in both directions, even within individual families as is well documented. Also, several slave-holding states remained in the Union, including Kentucky, Missouri, Maryland, and Delaware. West Virginia seceded from Virginia to remain in the Union. This was just not as simple as "siding" with your state. The issue of slavery was central to these decisions.

Lincoln's election as a Republican, the party founded based on the abolition movement, was the pivotal event leading to South Carolina's secession. Lincoln was fairly elected by all voters in 1860. It's a fascinating election to study, with four candidates gathering at a minimum 10% of the popular vote, and all four carrying at least one state in the electoral college. Lincoln won with just about 40% of the popular vote, but a clear majority in the electoral college. The slave-holding states essentially split there votes among the remaining three candidates, with Missouri even voting for the Northern Democrat Stephen Douglas. No matter how unique this election was, it was in no way a dictate by the northern states.
Nice, foundational insight into the period. However, there are things that may need context.

Another poster noted the about secessionism and the period vs. today, and also democracy in action. I suspected the inevitable "Representative Republic vs. Democracy" clarification, but it has to be emphasized how huge that is and was from the earliest days of the nation until now. People elect representatives to represent, but the lack of desired results by a given representative can cause real frustration in an electorate.

The "taxation without representation" mantra in the Revolutionary War was a perspective very much still instilled in most citizens in the mid-1800's. If the national policies, whether by legislation, administration, or the courts, were contrary to the health and/or prosperity of the citizens, they would not sit idly by. They sought (and fought for) active and productive representation. The southerners' term "war of northern aggression" is more than just a saying, it is a context for the dominant perspective of the time. The preceived lack of representation was tantamount to governmental coercion. And, in most areas of the south, and also now including many of the fly-over states, this is still a predominant perspective on modern government too!

The reality of the end of the Civil War is that the south capitulated, but never fully surrendered. They were not truly defeated. A defeated adversary complies and evolves (like Germany and Japan after WWII), which did not fully happen to the south after the Civil War.

And, threats of secession are still prevalent today. California, Oklahoma, Texas, and many of the "fly-over" states have had referendums on it. Though none have had sufficient support to approach a serious possibility of passage, it's still been an ongoing thing.

A modern Civil War would be an unimaginable horror, and there would likely be no true winner (like most wars). However, the seeds of division have been germinated and are being watered and fertilized almost daily. The Kavanaugh hearings and protests this week alone highlight this to be true...
Trust Me!!!

eagle
Fleet Admiral

#49 Post by eagle »

Kevster wrote:A modern Civil War would be an unimaginable horror, and there would likely be no true winner (like most wars). However, the seeds of division have been germinated and are being watered and fertilized almost daily. The Kavanaugh hearings and protests this week alone highlight this to be true...
Indeed. Whereas in the 1860s we were divided geographically, today we are divided ideologically. One can draw general lines today, but there isn't a clear way to separate geographically today. I cannot imagine how terrible it would be.

Pahonu

#50 Post by Pahonu »

Kevster wrote:
Pahonu wrote:

Nice, foundational insight into the period. However, there are things that may need context.

Another poster noted the about secessionism and the period vs. today, and also democracy in action. I suspected the inevitable "Representative Republic vs. Democracy" clarification, but it has to be emphasized how huge that is and was from the earliest days of the nation until now. People elect representatives to represent, but the lack of desired results by a given representative can cause real frustration in an electorate.

The "taxation without representation" mantra in the Revolutionary War was a perspective very much still instilled in most citizens in the mid-1800's. If the national policies, whether by legislation, administration, or the courts, were contrary to the health and/or prosperity of the citizens, they would not sit idly by. They sought (and fought for) active and productive representation. The southerners' term "war of northern aggression" is more than just a saying, it is a context for the dominant perspective of the time. The preceived lack of representation was tantamount to governmental coercion. And, in most areas of the south, and also now including many of the fly-over states, this is still a predominant perspective on modern government too!

The reality of the end of the Civil War is that the south capitulated, but never fully surrendered. They were not truly defeated. A defeated adversary complies and evolves (like Germany and Japan after WWII), which did not fully happen to the south after the Civil War.

And, threats of secession are still prevalent today. California, Oklahoma, Texas, and many of the "fly-over" states have had referendums on it. Though none have had sufficient support to approach a serious possibility of passage, it's still been an ongoing thing.

A modern Civil War would be an unimaginable horror, and there would likely be no true winner (like most wars). However, the seeds of division have been germinated and are being watered and fertilized almost daily. The Kavanaugh hearings and protests this week alone highlight this to be true...
My response was focused on the claim that the Northern states dictated this agenda to the Southern states. In reality, the two sides had been involved in near-constant legislative compromise since the writing of the Constitution. In the 1860 election, the electoral college, rather unusually up to that time, benefited Northern states in the circumstances I described. As the balance seemingly tipped in one direction, the secessionist states saw no other options. That is historically understood, but the central issue of slavery still drove that decision and history has judged that as wrong.

Today, frustration with election outcomes is also very real and palpable, as you said, with the same electoral college being the source of much of that frustration. That was most certainly the case in the 1860 election as well. Talk of secession has a long history in the US, both pre- and post-Civil War, however, only once has it actually happened and, again, central to that decision was the issue of slavery. Today we judge rightly, that slavery was and is an immoral practice. The decision by those state governments, their military leaders, and those citizens who supported their state's right to continue slavery, are judged by that moral standard. The attempt to separate the issue of slavery and state's rights is a canard. The two were inextricably linked in that era.

I had a poly-sci professor years ago who participated in the Civil Rights marches of the 60's and had been a speech writer for LBJ. He talked often about the evolution of societal views and how some groups inevitably end up on the, so called "wrong side" of history. Loving v. Virginia and the Brown decision come to mind as examples of changes in societal norms that the vast majority of US citizens agree with today. At some point in the past those views weren't the norm, however. Then a tipping point came and some fought to defend these behaviors. Today those groups are also rightly judged by society for their discriminatory views. This applies to the issue of slavery in the very same way.

Pahonu

#51 Post by Pahonu »

eagle wrote:
Kevster wrote:A modern Civil War would be an unimaginable horror, and there would likely be no true winner (like most wars). However, the seeds of division have been germinated and are being watered and fertilized almost daily. The Kavanaugh hearings and protests this week alone highlight this to be true...
Indeed. Whereas in the 1860s we were divided geographically, today we are divided ideologically. One can draw general lines today, but there isn't a clear way to separate geographically today. I cannot imagine how terrible it would be.
Very good point. I might also add that the divide will not always be as even as it is today, if history tells us anything.

Chris109
Fleet Admiral

#52 Post by Chris109 »

Very interesting topic. And even more interesting posts.
With regards to Mosley saying he thought everyone was racist toward him, which means he felt like he didn't fit in. Steve Perry from Journey made that comment about not fitting it with the band. But, look where it took him.

And, as for monuments? If any monuments are removed, destroyed, or whatever, how exactly does that affect anyone's lives? Just like these people who are constantly demanding the rich pay their fair share. Tax them more and more. Guess what? Nothing in the complainer's lives have changed one bit. I guess that makes them 'feel' better.

Chris109
Fleet Admiral

#53 Post by Chris109 »

And now I know where this diversity topic started.

And so, with Selleck supportive but ultimately out of the picture, it's time to welcome a new Magnum. Jay Hernandez (Scandal, Nashville), who will play the titular P.I. in the reboot, is a departure from the original character in more ways than one. For starters, he's Latino — and Hernandez thinks having a person of color in the role helps to diversify TV's otherwise largely white universe.

"There’s a lot of negativity attached to people of color, so it’s really wonderful and bold and special to have this opportunity to put that imagery to tell stories and to be on TV and to have something up there that is in very stark contrast to a lot of what we’re absorbing on a subconscious level,” Hernandez told Variety.

"a lot of negativity attached to people of color." Maybe in his world.

Hernandez is an idiot.

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

#54 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Amian wrote: Okay, let's say Lee viewed his side as just. Do we view his cause and the principles of the Confederacy as just today? Because this is what continuing to honor Confederate leaders by naming buildings and putting (or keeping) statues of them in public spaces suggests.
It doesn't matter how we view the principles of the Confederacy today. Bottom line is that these were brave soldiers who fought proudly, just as the Union soldiers did. If folks want to honor them I have no problem with that. My issue is that if we become so easily offended by anything even remotely connected to slavery and we try everything possible to erase any trace of what is part of our history then pretty soon we won't even be able to utter the word "slavery" because someone will find that offensive. We won't be able to teach our kids about this part of our history because it will offend people. Folks want to just eliminate any recollection of it. Out of sight, out of mind. But like it or not it DID happen and it is part of our history and we need to OWN it. Slavery may be evil but many soldiers who died on the battlefields were only defending what to them was the only way of life they knew. To scoff at them as mere hicks and racists (and because they didn't know any better) and hence don't deserve any kind of memorial is wrong and elitist. Both sides suffered casualties and both sides are worth memorializing. Both were brothers.

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

#55 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Chris109 wrote: "There’s a lot of negativity attached to people of color, so it’s really wonderful and bold and special to have this opportunity to put that imagery to tell stories and to be on TV and to have something up there that is in very stark contrast to a lot of what we’re absorbing on a subconscious level,” Hernandez told Variety.[/i]

Hernandez is an idiot.
Indeed! Yes let's sacrifice story for the sake of diversity. Do we care that a Latino plays a character with the very Caucasian name of Thomas Magnum? Of course not. Because... DIVERSITY! Do we care that a Korean has been cast in the role of the very Caucasian sounding Luther Gillis? Of course not. Because... DIVERSITY! That's what really pisses me off.

You want to cast a Korean? Fine, cast him. But let him play a character who has a freakin' KOREAN NAME! How difficult is this to comprehend?????? This is COMMON SENSE 101. Geez! What's next?? Jackie Chan as George W. Bush??

eagle
Fleet Admiral

#56 Post by eagle »

IvanTheTerrible wrote:Yes let's sacrifice story for the sake of diversity. Do we care that a Latino plays a character with the very Caucasian name of Thomas Magnum? Of course not. Because... DIVERSITY! Do we care that a Korean has been cast in the role of the very Caucasian sounding Luther Gillis? Of course not. Because... DIVERSITY! That's what really pisses me off.
Yes. Am I the only one who kind of wonders why they didn't rename him to Tomás Magnum? :magnum:

sandbiscuits
Captain

#57 Post by sandbiscuits »

eagle wrote:
IvanTheTerrible wrote:Yes let's sacrifice story for the sake of diversity. Do we care that a Latino plays a character with the very Caucasian name of Thomas Magnum? Of course not. Because... DIVERSITY! Do we care that a Korean has been cast in the role of the very Caucasian sounding Luther Gillis? Of course not. Because... DIVERSITY! That's what really pisses me off.
Yes. Am I the only one who kind of wonders why they didn't rename him to Tomás Magnum? :magnum:
With regard to a Korean American being cast with a name like Luther Gillis, he could very well be an adoptee. Don't know. As for the new Magnum, I don't think that all people with Latin heritage have Spanish language first names, so Thomas works fine, too.

sandbiscuits
Captain

#58 Post by sandbiscuits »

IvanTheTerrible wrote:
Amian wrote: Okay, let's say Lee viewed his side as just. Do we view his cause and the principles of the Confederacy as just today? Because this is what continuing to honor Confederate leaders by naming buildings and putting (or keeping) statues of them in public spaces suggests.
It doesn't matter how we view the principles of the Confederacy today. Bottom line is that these were brave soldiers who fought proudly, just as the Union soldiers did. If folks want to honor them I have no problem with that. My issue is that if we become so easily offended by anything even remotely connected to slavery and we try everything possible to erase any trace of what is part of our history then pretty soon we won't even be able to utter the word "slavery" because someone will find that offensive. We won't be able to teach our kids about this part of our history because it will offend people. Folks want to just eliminate any recollection of it. Out of sight, out of mind. But like it or not it DID happen and it is part of our history and we need to OWN it. Slavery may be evil but many soldiers who died on the battlefields were only defending what to them was the only way of life they knew. To scoff at them as mere hicks and racists (and because they didn't know any better) and hence don't deserve any kind of memorial is wrong and elitist. Both sides suffered casualties and both sides are worth memorializing. Both were brothers.
You don't think it matters how we view the Confederacy today? Then should we accept the viewpoints and beliefs of people in the middle of the 19th century as our own? I would think it's natural for us to use our advantage of being able to take a long view on the events leading up to the Civil War and the way things unfolded in its wake. It's also vital that understand the context for how things got to where they did, which Pahonu has helped explain very well. No one is saying we should erase history or not teach it to kids. That is a horrifying option.

I think we may be talking about two different things. Your issue, you wrote, is that people are becoming too offended to talk about the past, and the risk is that we'll forget about it. I agree that that is a bad outcome. As you wrote, slavery and the Civil War did happen and we need to own it. This is what education and scholarly studies and oral histories and so on are for. On top of all this, I am saying that the monuments that honor enemies of the U.S. don't have a rightful place in our society. By all means, don't forget about Robert E. Lee, but let's not celebrate him. After all, this is what statues of individuals from the past do. He may have fought well, but he was on the wrong team. I don't see any statues of British generals from the Revoluationary War in the U.S.

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#59 Post by ConchRepublican »

I'd like to step in here for a moment and thank everyone for the way they have handled this discussion. Topics like this are very interesting, and the conversation is important, yet too often these things can devolve into something not pretty quite quickly. Civility in 2018. Who knew?

Carry on .....
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

Kevster
Fleet Admiral

#60 Post by Kevster »

ConchRepublican wrote:I'd like to step in here for a moment and thank everyone for the way they have handled this discussion. Topics like this are very interesting, and the conversation is important, yet too often these things can devolve into something not pretty quite quickly. Civility in 2018. Who knew?

Carry on .....
Mature and intelligent people can do that. There aren't too many places that can be found!!! LOL!
Trust Me!!!