Season 1 Episode 1: I Saw the Sun Rise - Pilot (1.1)

For discussions about the new CBS Magnum P.I. reboot

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

How Would You Rate This Episode?

10 (Perfect!)
No votes
9.5 (One of the Best)
No votes
9.0 (Excellent)
No votes
8.5 (Very Good)
2%
8.0 (Pretty Good)
7%
7.5 (Decent)
7%
7.0 (Average at Best)
16%
6.5 (Not So Good)
9%
6.0 (Pretty Bad)
27%
5.0 (Just Awful)
16%
0.0 (Refuse to Watch)
18%

Total votes: 45

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

Re: Season 1 Episode 1: I Saw the Sun Rise - Pilot (1.1)

#31 Post by T.Q. »

Haha.

They changed the CGI scene when he jumps on the truck to the chopper.

They must have seen how people were mocking the scene from the trailer.
Knocking my rubber chicken or my sloppy habits is within the rules, but you're attacking my character. I would like to think you don't mean that.

jeffran
Captain

#32 Post by jeffran »

Well, I watched it. It was competent, but I don't have much to say about it beyond that. What was said before the broadcast, and I can't remember who said it, but something to the effect of nothing being earned, rings true. They're all friends, even Higgins. No time allotted for the development of meaningful and real-feeling relationships. And no time for the viewers to relate to and love (or hate) these characters. Just generic good guys facing generic bad guys. No charm, no charisma, no realism. Realism isn't the right word. Whatever original Magnum had - a combination of camaraderie, escapism and a sense of fun, great music, story-telling, stakes - is absent.

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#33 Post by KENJI »

T.Q. wrote:Haha.

They changed the CGI scene when he jumps on the truck to the chopper.

They must have seen how people were mocking the scene from the trailer.
Even changing that scene didn't help it, way too over the top. If they would've made that scene part of Robin's book then okay, but they didn't....tone that nonsense down, it's not believable!!!

I enjoyed the AC/DC music at the beginning, but the show was flat. They could've done way more with that gold storyline, but they rushed it and wrapped things up too quick -very disappointing. It was a fast as the show's intro, not as a good as the original.
I'll still watch, but not expecting much. Good to see Robin has a larger stable of cars that includes a Lambo AND there is also an Audi (R8) in there too. We did hear that Mini Mag almost got married, so that will be a story that will unfold overtime. I had to laugh as this show has a guy named Kim, who has a pork truck.....HFO has Kamekono owning a shrimp truck......REALLY!! :roll: I can see Kamekono and Kim being in a scene with their food trucks. :roll: :roll: The background music was way too close to HFO's background music too which I didn't like either. I'll leave it at that for now.

karolis
Admiral

#34 Post by karolis »

When Magnum narrates about his friends at the beginning, you could hear music similar to the season one's Ian Freebairn-Smith theme song used in the first 11 episodes in season 1 of the original's opening credits

ENSHealy
Fleet Admiral

#35 Post by ENSHealy »

Wasn't it a pretty big risk killing Nuzo before they knew where the gold was? Presumably Nuzo found the gold, realized it's origin, and wouldn't tell them where it was. But it's a pretty big leap to think, hey, we'll kill this guy, maybe his friends will lead us to the gold. Leaving an awful lot to chance.

And do you really have to have been in the military to know how to waterboard someone? Pretty sure that info is readily available on the 'ol information superhighway.
Ensign Healy
Scholar in Residence
The Institute for Advanced Magnum Studies

"I woke up one day at 53 and realized I'd never been 23."

MagnumILWU
Fleet Admiral

#36 Post by MagnumILWU »

It wasn't bad! If you are going to watch it, and do nothing but compare it to the original, then I'm sure you won't like it! But on it's own, I didn't, not enjoy, watching it. There was just something about watching it, all the familiar things. It's like knowing and loving the original so much, made me appreciate watching this a little more! The sites and sounds bringing back great memories! Like when I saw Juliett Higgins doing yoga. All I could think of was Jonathan Higgins, with his cigarette holder in his mouth, taking a deep drag, and the content look on his face. It just made me smile! Trying to find little things at the estate, or in his guest house, that take me back! There is only one Magnum, but that doesn't mean you can't enjoy the show! When winter comes, watching the beautiful locals in Hawaii, is always nice.
"pickled egg please"

Rembrandt's Girl
Fleet Admiral

#37 Post by Rembrandt's Girl »

ENSHealy wrote:Wasn't it a pretty big risk killing Nuzo before they knew where the gold was? Presumably Nuzo found the gold, realized it's origin, and wouldn't tell them where it was. But it's a pretty big leap to think, hey, we'll kill this guy, maybe his friends will lead us to the gold. Leaving an awful lot to chance.
Hi ENSHealy :D

Since the two ex-Marines said Nuzo was a stubborn SOB and held out a long time, I assumed they either went too far with their torture or gave up and nixed him. But I agree... instead of that unbelievable lucky leap to have his friends lead them to the gold, it would have been a better storyline to have them go to Nuzo's office after they killed him to try/successfully find the coordinates of the sunken gold on his computer or something instead of having them go there to try to erase their background checks/any connection to Nuzo. :roll:

Gatchaman
Lieutenant Commander

#38 Post by Gatchaman »

It was entertaining and I will watch next week, which I guess is the one and only goal of the producers and CBS. So for week 1 at least, they won.

I was constantly looking for nods to the original. Aside from the obvious--names, setting, Ferrari, etc.--I really only saw one but I liked it...when Higgings smiled when the lads were going after Magnum. If that was a nod to John Hillerman, well done.

However, when Higgins called Magnum "Thomas," I cringed. Did we ever heard Hillerman's Higgins call Magnum "Thomas"? If we did, please let me know as I would like to see it. But to call him that in the first episode means all that character and friendship development that took years to accomplish in the original will be void in this one. Does that mean they truly want this relationship to be different--aside from the fact this Higgins is a woman--or are they concerned there won't be enough time for that development? I don't know. But it was strange. I'm not sure I like it. It's different, so maybe that's a good thing.

I will say this...watching this episode made me want to pop in a few episodes of the original--there's an unintentional VHS reference for you!--and I spent a little bit of time into the wee hours of the night watching a few of them. I'm glad Cozi TV is airing them regularly for my DVR to record.
Commander of G-Force
Magnum's Secret Weapon

terryfromkerry
Fleet Admiral

#39 Post by terryfromkerry »

MagnumILWU wrote:It wasn't bad! If you are going to watch it, and do nothing but compare it to the original, then I'm sure you won't like it! But on it's own, I didn't, not enjoy, watching it. There was just something about watching it, all the familiar things. It's like knowing and loving the original so much, made me appreciate watching this a little more! The sites and sounds bringing back great memories! Like when I saw Juliett Higgins doing yoga. All I could think of was Jonathan Higgins, with his cigarette holder in his mouth, taking a deep drag, and the content look on his face. It just made me smile! Trying to find little things at the estate, or in his guest house, that take me back! There is only one Magnum, but that doesn't mean you can't enjoy the show! When winter comes, watching the beautiful locals in Hawaii, is always nice.
Hi MagnumILWU,

I very much like your take on the pilot. You also put into words the sentiments concerning familiarity very well. As an example I felt a little lump in my throat when I saw the Island Hoppers Helicopter lift off into the clear blue sky. Great post.
"Oh Jonathan !....oh Jonathan, come quickly ...... your hot cross buns are smoking".

wilko
Captain

#40 Post by wilko »

I watched it.

I was not impressed.

It seems they tried too hard and just over did everything. Too much of an all action theme. Hernandez tries to be the suave playboy and you can see he's forcing it and you can apply that to the whole show - forced. They do no justice to Rick or TC either. The Tanaka character is terrible, no substance at all. Will there be a Ice Pick and Mac character? Right now I'm not sure if I want to find out.

KingKC
Fleet Admiral

#41 Post by KingKC »

It wasn't as cheesy as I thought it would be. I expected the action/special effects to be over the top and the leap to the helicopter definitely was. It just isn't the Magnum I know but I can see it becoming the Magnum of a new generation. They still could have put it on Thursday night....lol.

Gatchaman
Lieutenant Commander

#42 Post by Gatchaman »

wilko wrote:The Tanaka character is terrible, no substance at all.
I have to agree with you on that one. Perhaps they should have named him someone else. It's impossible not to compare minor characters, at least for me.
Commander of G-Force
Magnum's Secret Weapon

Rands
Rear Admiral

#43 Post by Rands »

Watched the premiere last night. Let me start by saying, Mrs. Rands had the common sense to sleep through it. I wish I had! As to my comments: Where does one begin?

The Magnum P.I. Theme: What the hell was that? Couldn't the producers and directors have simply used the classic, and gone with known success? Obviously not!

The Characters: Generally, how disappointing! I thought Mini Mag looked like he should be standing on a box, when being filmed with Lt. Tanaka. Maybe, in further episodes they'll use one. Shiggins: the female Higgins left much to be desired when compared to SGM Higgins, who had been everywhere and done everything. Rick: Probably the best character of the central four. TC: I found his character not up to Roger Mosely's version. Buck Greene: Remar's abilities of the screen, made Hernandez look like an amateur. Wonderful job James!

The Equipment: Apparently Ferrari destruction is one of Mini Mag's hobbies. I have voiced my opinion of the destruction of Robin 1, which of course could have been a wonderful commonality between the shows. Too bad the reboot didn't consider this. The 1911: the use the STI 1911-ish pistol, is truly another disappointment. STI even has a picture of Hernandez using their 1911-ish firearm on their webpage. I carried a 1911 for decades, and I certainly am jaded.

The acting certainly wasn't up to standard, despite having a large budget, and a great deal of time. James Remar was clearly the exception.

My perfect ending for the pilot, would have been Tom Selleck waking up in bed, under the mosquito net, in the guest house, akin to the episode FLASHBACK, Season 3 Episode 7, saying "I had the worst dream!".

eagle
Fleet Admiral

#44 Post by eagle »

Rands wrote:The Magnum P.I. Theme: What the hell was that? Couldn't the producers and directors have simply used the classic, and gone with known success? Obviously not!
Yes yes yes yes. In my opinion they destroyed this theme song in the way the first remake of the H50 theme song destroyed that one. The H50 remake-remake of their original remake was much better. Hopefully they do the same with this show's theme song.
The Equipment: Apparently Ferrari destruction is one of Mini Mag's hobbies. I have voiced my opinion of the destruction of Robin 1, which of course could have been a wonderful commonality between the shows. Too bad the reboot didn't consider this.
I hadn't thought of this, but now both the “original” Robin 1 Ferrari 308 and the original Pahonu estate are now destroyed. How utterly needless on the part of the 308, and how tragic — if I can use that word here — on both counts.
The acting certainly wasn't up to standard, despite having a large budget, and a great deal of time. James Remar was clearly the exception.
A friend came over to watch the show with me last night. We all had the same reaction: At one of the commercial breaks my friend said something about low budget actors.

MagnumILWU
Fleet Admiral

#45 Post by MagnumILWU »

I think one of the reasons I want to like this show, is that it's the type of TV show I enjoy, and they really don"t make anymore! A PI series, with action, adventure, comedy, and drama, where all the characters aren't head cases! The main character, his group of friends, getting into little adventures each week! It's not a cop-crime, medical,courtroom,military, superpowers-special abilities, teen or adult angst show! It's a new show where the characters don't look like they are all 12! Are there any other shows like that on TV now? That was what I liked about our Magnum, and so many other shows in the 80's! I just don't know of any other shows like that now! I know it isn't the 80's, and I know this isn't our Magnum! And i do want to enjoy it, just for the fun of it!
"pickled egg please"