Surprised

For discussions about the new CBS Magnum P.I. reboot

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Bat22
Lieutenant Commander

Re: Surprised

#46 Post by Bat22 »

Coming into and during my middle adulthood, I've been ticked off at a sizable number of adaptations or remakes of literary works I went over in high school and college; video games I played the bejeezus out of; movies, shows, and cartoons I experienced growing up; and my favorite comic book superheroes.

That hardening is partly why I'm more curious and nonchalant about the Reboot. I've also come to realize that a lackluster - or even successful - remake isn't going to diminish my experience with the original product any. My RoboCop and Total Recall are safe in my collection, as are the animated Batman and Green Lantern shows and films to more than make up for the live action disappointments.

Amian
Admiral

#47 Post by Amian »

KingKC wrote: I don't think reboots are ever intended to appeal primarily to the original audience. I think they are intended to appeal to the newer and younger audiences. The original audience is just a little icing on the cake. I do not like the new Hawaii 5-0 or the new MacGyver but I loved the originals.
I'd agree with that, but you'd better believe the original audience will be paying attention! Exhibit A: this forum. I loved MacGyver, but haven't even bothered to catch an episode of the reboot. But I still think that someone who likes a reboot will be interested in the original at some point if they become big fans. That has happened to me with music lots of times.

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#48 Post by K Hale »

For some reason, perhaps because I've spent half the morning staring at various iterations of his watch, this thread is reminding me of nothing so much as that time in season 2 "Woman on the Beach" where Higgins was peeved that Lydia Shaftsbury wanted their theater group to do an adaptation of Romeo and Juliet as Samoans in grass skirts. He was seriously cheesed off about these changes and refused to participate. I feel like a lot of us can sympathize right about now!

That said -- I shall return to my vow of "let people enjoy things."
I didn't realize you were so addicted to pool.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

Mad Kudu Buck
Fleet Admiral

#49 Post by Mad Kudu Buck »

I say anyone who likes the idea of a female Higgins is a vulgarian Visigoth.

Bat22
Lieutenant Commander

#50 Post by Bat22 »

News: Higgins is going to be female! Well, okay, I guess it'll sort of be like Daniel Craig's Bond and M. Probably get a stateswoman like Helen Mirren or Alice Krige...

News: Higgins is going to be played by Perdita Weeks! I can see it now. At least two seasons of "will they, won't they" sexual tension between Magnum and Higgins, this underlying attraction Magnum and Higgins have for each other despite being opposites fueling their bickering and rivalry. Perhaps Higgins will have to contend with the memory of Michelle, wondering if Magnum could ever give up the ghost and come to his arms. Her! Her arms!

Danno
Fleet Admiral

#51 Post by Danno »

Perdita Weeks is younger than Jay Hernandez. That's vaguely interesting.

I don't know, I'm not sure I care what they do with the new Magnum. It's a passing curiosity really.
I think I've got reboot fatigue. Everyone is cashing in on nostalgia.
Help protect Hawaiʻi's Green Sea Turtles http://malamanahonu.org

Mad Kudu Buck
Fleet Admiral

#52 Post by Mad Kudu Buck »

I say Higgins should have been a 3-year old alien bi-sexual squid from the planet Pffiffeldorb. Magnum should have been a 3 foot tall pygmy bushman from Papua New Guinea. There is sexual tension between Magnum and his alarm clock. He drives an Oscar Meyer wiener truck.

As long as it's still called Magnum P.I., I don't see why any fans of the show should be upset with these changes. Just get with the times.

Danno
Fleet Admiral

#53 Post by Danno »

Mad Kudu Buck wrote:I say Higgins should have been a 3-year old alien bi-sexual squid from the planet Pffiffeldorb. Magnum should have been a 3 foot tall pygmy bushman from Papua New Guinea. There is sexual tension between Magnum and his alarm clock. He drives an Oscar Meyer wiener truck.

As long as it's still called Magnum P.I., I don't see why any fans of the show should be upset with these changes. Just get with the times.
I'd so watch this.
Help protect Hawaiʻi's Green Sea Turtles http://malamanahonu.org

Mad Kudu Buck
Fleet Admiral

#54 Post by Mad Kudu Buck »

Danno wrote:
Mad Kudu Buck wrote:I say Higgins should have been a 3-year old alien bi-sexual squid from the planet Pffiffeldorb. Magnum should have been a 3 foot tall pygmy bushman from Papua New Guinea. There is sexual tension between Magnum and his alarm clock. He drives an Oscar Meyer wiener truck.

I'd so watch this.
Yeah, but I was just thinking... there's no way they could make Higgins an alien squid - it would be too similar to the "Gone With the Wind" remake they made a couple years ago, which was mostly the same as the original, but Scarlett O'Hara was an octopus.

Man, that movie sucked.

perfectlykevin
Fleet Admiral

#55 Post by perfectlykevin »

Danno wrote:

I'd so watch this.

LOL!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#56 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

KENJI wrote:
Core 4 wrote:
Amian wrote:Disclaimer: I don't watch Hawaii 5-0, but it keeps coming up in forum comments... is it really that bad? If it is, I sure hope the Magnum reboot is treated better.
No, this is great show. My favourite show. Because of this show I'm excited the Magnum P.I. reboot.
Everyone is entitled to their opinion.....I give it a bad to okay rating at best.....great, no way! The storylines are so weak and fluffy at times you just shake your head and roll your eyes! :roll: The odd time they are decent and you think okay, they are getting it together, but the next episode just stinks. Yes, it has been going on for 8 seasons so it has its followers and some luck too because it shouldn't have lasted that long. Yes, I tune in to watch a bit of Hawaii in the background and then I usually fast forward through the show especially when Steve and Danno start bickering like an old couple....just awful (IMO).
I suggest you watch a few and decide for yourself Amian. I'm thinking the MPI reboot might have some of this weak writing too, so don't hold your breath....time will tell.
KENJI,
Everything you say about the current Hawaii 5-0 is true. However it is also true that it is the most successful reboot in tv history. Therefore the suits at CBS will apply the same formula to Magnum PI because they couldn't give a toss about keeping the spirit of the original.
They probably viewed at most a 15 minute highlight reel of original Magnum car chases, hot babe guest stars and a out of context look at Magnum killing Ivan that likely elicited a "Bro, that's hard core" response from the 20 something execs who could not, if their lives depended on it, ever understand the Band of Brothers bond that existed between Magnum, TC, Rick and Higgins.
Kenji, the reboot is going to be a legendary disaster, and the only reason it would run more than a month is because CBS will pray the ratings pick up to offset all the start up costs for filming in Hawaii.
I look forward to the new threads that will appear on Magnum Mania mere moments after the pilot episode is shown, thread titles such as "Magnum PU", "Never Again, Never Again, Dear God in Heaven Never Again", "The Jororo Kill? Kill Me!", "Did You See the Sunrise? No, I Tore My Eyes Out To Make Sure I Never Watch This Crud Again", "The Big Blow" and fittingly, to describe how long the reboot will last, "Limited Engagement".
If I am wrong I will gladly donate my first born, my Spiro Agnew autographed tennis ball I got for 50 cents at a garage sale, and my cat to the Magnum Mania Board of Directors, and I highly value the cat as she is a first class mouser.
Dobie

"That's Dobie with a 'B', not a 'P' "...Dwayne Hickman in The Many Loves of Dobie Gillis

Rembrandt's Girl
Fleet Admiral

#57 Post by Rembrandt's Girl »

Luther's nephew Dobie wrote: I look forward to the new threads that will appear on Magnum Mania mere moments after the pilot episode is shown, thread titles such as "Magnum PU", "Never Again, Never Again, Dear God in Heaven Never Again", "The Jororo Kill? Kill Me!", "Did You See the Sunrise? No, I Tore My Eyes Out To Make Sure I Never Watch This Crud Again", "The Big Blow" and fittingly, to describe how long the reboot will last, "Limited Engagement".
Very clever, Dobie! :lol:

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#58 Post by ConchRepublican »

Luther's nephew Dobie wrote:
KENJI wrote:
Core 4 wrote:
Everyone is entitled to their opinion.....I give it a bad to okay rating at best.....great, no way! The storylines are so weak and fluffy at times you just shake your head and roll your eyes! :roll: The odd time they are decent and you think okay, they are getting it together, but the next episode just stinks. Yes, it has been going on for 8 seasons so it has its followers and some luck too because it shouldn't have lasted that long. Yes, I tune in to watch a bit of Hawaii in the background and then I usually fast forward through the show especially when Steve and Danno start bickering like an old couple....just awful (IMO).
I suggest you watch a few and decide for yourself Amian. I'm thinking the MPI reboot might have some of this weak writing too, so don't hold your breath....time will tell.
KENJI,
Everything you say about the current Hawaii 5-0 is true. However it is also true that it is the most successful reboot in tv history. Therefore the suits at CBS will apply the same formula to Magnum PI because they couldn't give a toss about keeping the spirit of the original.
They probably viewed at most a 15 minute highlight reel of original Magnum car chases, hot babe guest stars and a out of context look at Magnum killing Ivan that likely elicited a "Bro, that's hard core" response from the 20 something execs who could not, if their lives depended on it, ever understand the Band of Brothers bond that existed between Magnum, TC, Rick and Higgins.
Kenji, the reboot is going to be a legendary disaster, and the only reason it would run more than a month is because CBS will pray the ratings pick up to offset all the start up costs for filming in Hawaii.
I look forward to the new threads that will appear on Magnum Mania mere moments after the pilot episode is shown, thread titles such as "Magnum PU", "Never Again, Never Again, Dear God in Heaven Never Again", "The Jororo Kill? Kill Me!", "Did You See the Sunrise? No, I Tore My Eyes Out To Make Sure I Never Watch This Crud Again", "The Big Blow" and fittingly, to describe how long the reboot will last, "Limited Engagement".
If I am wrong I will gladly donate my first born, my Spiro Agnew autographed tennis ball I got for 50 cents at a garage sale, and my cat to the Magnum Mania Board of Directors, and I highly value the cat as she is a first class mouser.

Dobie

"That's Dobie with a 'B', not a 'P' "...Dwayne Hickman in The Many Loves of Dobie Gillis
Fantastic.
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#59 Post by J.J. Walters »

LMAO!! Classic post right there! LOL! :)
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

MagnumsGMTMaster
Commander

#60 Post by MagnumsGMTMaster »

The only satisfactory (to us) Magnum PI reboot would have been like the Rosanne resurrection. Obviously, that can't happen. So we're left with this. I am actually glad they went in different directions with the two main leads because that way we might not all be forever comparing the look-alike Magnum with Selleck's Magnum and the original Higgins with the new Higgins. To be a reboot, they sort of had to stick to the original names, but this show is going to be different no matter how much we all wish it could be Season 9, etc. :geek: