Surprised

For discussions about the new CBS Magnum P.I. reboot

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

☨magnum.t
Admiral

Re: Surprised

#16 Post by ☨magnum.t »

I honestly think my biggest quarrel with the reboot is the casting of Magnum and Higgins! Why couldn't they find a more masculine, TALLER guy to play TM and cast Higgybaby as a Dos Equis most interesting man in the world type guy. I almost vomit at the thought of new Magnum having to get on his tippie toes to look up at new Higgins.
That reminds me of the time....

Rembrandt's Girl
Fleet Admiral

#17 Post by Rembrandt's Girl »

☨magnum.t wrote:I honestly think my biggest quarrel with the reboot is the casting of Magnum and Higgins! Why couldn't they find a more masculine, TALLER guy to play TM and cast Higgybaby as a Dos Equis most interesting man in the world type guy. I almost vomit at the thought of new Magnum having to get on his tippie toes to look up at new Higgins.
:lol:

Same here, ☨magnum.t... I'm good with the casting of Rick & TC, and I've already voiced my displeasure with Higgins being female (UGH!) :roll: , but I'm not happy at all about the new Magnum either. They could have done much, much better. There are sooooo many actors out there. Heck, Lenkov would make a much better Magnum than Hernandez. OK, he's a wee bit too old but he's certainly easy on the eyes and he has a silly personality similar to TS. I wonder if he can act? :wink:

Oh, by the way, I read somewhere that he wanted to do the MPI reboot BEFORE the H50 reboot... I wonder why H50 won out?

perfectlykevin
Fleet Admiral

#18 Post by perfectlykevin »

I think I'm in the same boat guys (guys as in the "Hi Guys" gender neutral) :) My first response to almost every reboot is one of shock and thinking no way they can remake something classic. Five-O was different for me because I didn't watch the original growing up (also too young). Buuuut, take a show like MacGyver. I did watch that occasionally and liked the character interaction, which was similar to Magnum. I ahven't brought myself to watch that reboot, which seems like a testosterone-fest, where everyone is ex-CIA etc, and they wear full assault gear to go get a cup of coffee. Ugh-no thanks. I want good action but also real character interaction which is something I do not get from modern tv. I've largely quit tv altogether for this reason.

Now, if this reboot is different, and does have the same spirit, I will watch. They better have silliness, and a main character who has quirky flaws like our Magnum did.

Amian
Admiral

#19 Post by Amian »

I've been surprised that so many people are bothered about Jay Hernandez's height. In some cases the complaints come off as good-natured ribbing, but sometimes they seems petty. He's not as tall as Tom Selleck, but does it matter? Do you really want the reboot to try to mimic the original down to every detail? If the new show tries to copy everything, it won't match up. If it makes some tweaks (like a female Higgins and a Latino Magnum) while trying to go for the mix of humor, action and profound character relationships, then maybe it can become its own show. If you want the exact details of the original, just pop in a DVD or queue it up.

As for having a Latino Magnum, I think someone posted a while back that this casting reflects the changing demographics of the military. He didn't have to be Latino, but there's no good reason he shouldn't be.

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#20 Post by T.Q. »

Amian wrote:I've been surprised that so many people are bothered about Jay Hernandez's height. In some cases the complaints come off as good-natured ribbing, but sometimes they seems petty. He's not as tall as Tom Selleck, but does it matter? Do you really want the reboot to try to mimic the original down to every detail? If the new show tries to copy everything, it won't match up. If it makes some tweaks (like a female Higgins and a Latino Magnum) while trying to go for the mix of humor, action and profound character relationships, then maybe it can become its own show. If you want the exact details of the original, just pop in a DVD or queue it up.

As for having a Latino Magnum, I think someone posted a while back that this casting reflects the changing demographics of the military. He didn't have to be Latino, but there's no good reason he shouldn't be.
My wife was a huge Jack Reacher fan. Read all the books.

She was, what I thought at the time, irrationally mad that Tom Cruise is playing him in the movies.

I didn’t understand why. She said Cruise is just simply not the physical stature the fans of the books have always known Jack Reacher to be and she didn’t want to watch.

Same thing I think.
Knocking my rubber chicken or my sloppy habits is within the rules, but you're attacking my character. I would like to think you don't mean that.

marlboro
Baron Of GIFs

#21 Post by marlboro »

Amian wrote:I've been surprised that so many people are bothered about Jay Hernandez's height.
I have no idea what you're talking about.

Rembrandt's Girl
Fleet Admiral

#22 Post by Rembrandt's Girl »

marlboro wrote:

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#23 Post by ConchRepublican »

marlboro wrote:
Amian wrote:I've been surprised that so many people are bothered about Jay Hernandez's height.

This wins the internet.
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#24 Post by ConchRepublican »

T.Q. wrote:
Amian wrote:I've been surprised that so many people are bothered about Jay Hernandez's height. In some cases the complaints come off as good-natured ribbing, but sometimes they seems petty. He's not as tall as Tom Selleck, but does it matter? Do you really want the reboot to try to mimic the original down to every detail? If the new show tries to copy everything, it won't match up. If it makes some tweaks (like a female Higgins and a Latino Magnum) while trying to go for the mix of humor, action and profound character relationships, then maybe it can become its own show. If you want the exact details of the original, just pop in a DVD or queue it up.

My wife was a huge Jack Reacher fan. Read all the books.

She was, what I thought at the time, irrationally mad that Tom Cruise is playing him in the movies.

I didn’t understand why. She said Cruise is just simply not the physical stature the fans of the books have always known Jack Reacher to be and she didn’t want to watch.

Same thing I think.
I am in total agreement with your wife regarding Cruise playing Jack Reacher. I read most of tghe books and an important charactaristic/description of him was his size. He was easily depicted as a foot taller than Cruise.

Sean Bean is only 5' 10", but I felt he at least had the Reacher "look".
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#25 Post by Steve »

I will give it a try and hope for the best. I watch the H-50 reboot but don't think of it as anything to do with the original series. To me it is just a buddy cop show set in Hawaii with hits and misses and when it misses, it misses big.
I don't have a problem with a Juliet Higgins character and think TC and Rick are well cast. As for Jay Hernandez as Magnum, well, he has a great smile and I assume that the Producers saw something in him that made Jay their pick. I somehow muscled through Bad Mom's today thanks to the fast forward just to see his parts. He was good but I look at him and I don't see a Tom Selleck that we men wanted to be like and women wanted to be with........
I do have to say...I am absolutely loving the short jokes and memes!!!!!!!

Rembrandt's Girl
Fleet Admiral

#26 Post by Rembrandt's Girl »

Steve wrote:I will give it a try and hope for the best. I watch the H-50 reboot but don't think of it as anything to do with the original series. To me it is just a buddy cop show set in Hawaii with hits and misses and when it misses, it misses big.
I don't have a problem with a Juliet Higgins character and think TC and Rick are well cast. As for Jay Hernandez as Magnum, well, he has a great smile and I assume that the Producers saw something in him that made Jay their pick. I somehow muscled through Bad Mom's today thanks to the fast forward just to see his parts. He was good but I look at him and I don't see a Tom Selleck that we men wanted to be like and women wanted to be with........
I love ya' Steve and I really admire your optimism, but what I'm seeing is that we have a totally different Thomas Magnum who we probably won't think of as Magnum (what's the point then?), and Higgins is a woman. So basically it's a story about modern-day war buddies and one is a P.I. Of course it's based in Hawaii and there’s the 308.

So why are they calling it "Magnum P.I."... it will be as similar to the real Magnum P.I. as the H50 reboot is to the original. I feel like they're just using the name "Magnum P.I" as clickbait and it's disgraceful.

On a lighter note, here's a snippet from the pilot of Hernandez apprehending the bad guy...

Last edited by Rembrandt's Girl on Sun Apr 08, 2018 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#27 Post by Sam »

Steve wrote:I will give it a try and hope for the best. I watch the H-50 reboot but don't think of it as anything to do with the original series. To me it is just a buddy cop show set in Hawaii with hits and misses and when it misses, it misses big.
Bingo bingo bingo...The HFO reboot doesn't resemble the original.. it's a bunch of wise guy talking.. reminiscent of a Lethal Weapon filmed in Hawaii...
I don't expect the new MPI to be anything other than wiseguy dialogue between Higgins and Magnum. With Magnum being a safe space participant.. I'm surprised they're using a Ferrari I fully expected it would be a Prius.

The new show may be okay but it isn't going to be our... Magnum PI.

There are very few people I'll stay up past midnight to see. Bette Midler is one of them. As a kid, Beaches had been one of my favorite films.

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#28 Post by Sam »

Rembrandt's Girl wrote:
I love ya' Steve and I really admire your optimism, but what I'm seeing is that we have a totally different Magnum that we probably won't think of as Magnum (what's the point then?), and Higgins is a woman. So basically it's a story about modern-day war buddies and one is a P.I. Of course it's based in Hawaii and there’s the 308.

So why are they calling it "Magnum P.I."... it will be as similar to the real Magnum P.I. as the H50 reboot is to the original. I feel like they're just using the name "Magnum P.I" as clickbait and it's disgraceful.

On a lighter note, here's a snippet from the pilot of Hernandez apprehending the bad guy...

Haha... holy crap I think I said pretty much the same thing

McGarrett
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#29 Post by McGarrett »

I watch the old 5-0 and the new one. I enjoy both, but neither are as good as Magnum.

I'm optimistic about the reboot, but we'll see.
time has little to do with infinity and jelly doughnuts

perfectlykevin
Fleet Admiral

#30 Post by perfectlykevin »

OK, for me the height thing is an issue because here was Selleck, this 6'3" actor who sometimes skulked about like he wanted to be much smaller, producing a comedic effect. Maybe it's one of those things that won't appear in the new show.

Now, for the reboot as a whole, I don't mind them, BUT for a reboot to work it must be in the same spirit as the original. I view it like an alternate universe. The characters look different, might not even be the same gender yet evoke the same spirit. I'm hopeful the new cast can do that for me