Ask James...Q&A with the Web Master

Comments, questions, suggestions, criticism... anything at all about the website. This is also the place for member introductions

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

lutherhgillis
Fleet Admiral

Ask James...Q&A with the Web Master

#1 Post by lutherhgillis »

Let's ask James how he came up with the concept for this site and other such questions. That will help us appreciate how much effort went into this thing!

Q1: What made you decide to do this?

Q2: How much time have you given this project?

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#2 Post by J.J. Walters »

Q1: What made you decide to do this?

The timing was right - The DVDs had just come out. I was getting back into Magnum after a long hiatus. Coincidentally, I had been looking to setup and manage a web site for some time, to sharpen my web development skills. Not seeing many Magnum sites out there, I decided to just do it. It's been a wonderful, fun experience.

Q2: How much time have you given this project?

In the early stages, quite a bit. Probably 10 hours a week, or so (all "after hours"). Now, not so much. ~ 2-3 hours a week.
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

rubber chicken
Master Location Sleuth

#3 Post by rubber chicken »

I've thought before that you must have started pretty early after the first or so DVD came out, or worked very fast to have the site ready as soon as you did. I used to think you must have started before the DVDs came out.

It's very fortunate for everyone involved to have had such a great site to visit while we went through the DVDs for the first time. If the site went up years earlier not as many people would have searched for it, and if it went up after all the DVDs were available it would have missed out on so many initial comments from people revisiting the show in a way that has never before been possible.

I've been meaning to ask, James, is everything on the site backed up? If there were data loss to the forum, would it be able to be recovered from another source? It would be very sad if all the info contained in the forum were to go *poof*

SelleckLover
RENLEDUN, Protectrix of the Realm

#4 Post by SelleckLover »

I have a couple of questions: Why is it when I try to change something on my profile, I put in my password (3 times) and it says my password is invalid?

Can you change the information for me? (My email address has changed and the old one is no longer being used.)

Thanks, I appreciate the help! :D

Lily
Fleet Admiral

#5 Post by Lily »

Just wanted to say James, what an incredible job you have done with this site. Thank you!

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#6 Post by Steve »

Let me start by saying a very big thank you James, for this very informative and easy to use site for us Magnum fans out here. I think I read somewhere that you, as well as I and others go back to the old A&E message board days when our show was airing twice a day on that network. I then found the Yahoo groups site, bought a Fun Facts and Episode Guide from Mike Barnes and then finally somehow stumbled upon your site and what a complete pleasure it has been to navigate thru all of the information you have provided. The links you include are usefull and I am always amazed at how I can still find out something new almost everyday as you constantly are updating (I know with the help of many others out here).
Now, to my question......
Do you ever hear from someone associated with the show ala the editor that we were able to ask questions of a while back? I would like to think that a few at least check out the site every now and then.......

tidal pool
Rear Admiral

#7 Post by tidal pool »

This site is first class all the way. I hope that anyone who was associated with the show is aware of it. It is a real tribute to their efforts and talents.

Great job, James! :D
TS or NO MOVIE!

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#8 Post by J.J. Walters »

Wow, thank you guys for all of the kind words about the site. I really appreciate it! :)

rubber chicken, yes, I started working on the site a couple of months after the Season One DVD was released (you should have seen the look on my wife's face). I completed the first four seasons in a local development environment before I moved it to a public host in Oct. of '06. Seasons 5-8 followed soon afterwards.
rubber chicken wrote:I've been meaning to ask, James, is everything on the site backed up? If there were data loss to the forum, would it be able to be recovered from another source? It would be very sad if all the info contained in the forum were to go *poof*
No worries mate. The site and the forum are indeed backed up.

SelleckLover wrote:I have a couple of questions: Why is it when I try to change something on my profile, I put in my password (3 times) and it says my password is invalid?
SL, did you use the password that I sent you a couple of days ago?

Steve, I was never a member of the A&E board, but I did check it out a couple of times when I was starting up the site.
Steve wrote:Do you ever hear from someone associated with the show ala the editor that we were able to ask questions of a while back? I would like to think that a few at least check out the site every now and then.......
I've chatted with an editor, a dailies man and an extra. That's about it.

SelleckLover

#9 Post by SelleckLover »

James

Nope, I couldn't get that password because I believe it was sent to the email addy that I no longer have. So I just clicked on "Forgot your password?" and reset it. I am now using the reset password. Yikes! This is getting so complicated! And all for a little teeny change on my profile!! LOL :D When I type in the reset password it says: Invalid password, or something to that effect. Sorry to be such a pain!

SL

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#10 Post by J.J. Walters »

SL, I didn't send it to you email account. I sent it via a 'Private Message'. Check your inbox in your 'Private Messages'.

lutherhgillis
Fleet Admiral

#11 Post by lutherhgillis »

James,

Have you approached Larry Manetti about doing a Q&A with you for this site? If he took a look at the site I'm sure he would be impressed. He seems like he might be somewhat more approachable than other 'stars'.

Icepick
Admiral

#12 Post by Icepick »

This is obviously now the premier Magnum website on the entire internet and thanks to James for letting this happen. Not only is there invaluable information that can't be found anywhere else, but it's certainly the prime spot for discussing the show and anything to do with it. I think I speak for everyone when I say it's continuous existence into the future is something we will always look forward to.
Icepick - Does it ever occur to you that you are always having to bail your friend Magnum out of trouble?

SelleckLover

#13 Post by SelleckLover »

James wrote:
SL, I didn't send it to you email account. I sent it via a 'Private Message'. Check your inbox in your 'Private Messages'.
Yes, I can check that now after resetting my password...but before I reset my password, I didn't know the password and I couldn't check my PM's! (I think.) I'm thoroughly confused now! :? :D LOL

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#14 Post by golfmobile »

James,

You spend only 2-3 hours a WEEK on the site now??? :shock: :shock:

I think I spend that much time a DAY checking for whatever new posts there are!! I can't believe how totally ADDICTED I am to this site and the people on the forum. I delight every time someone new joins and starts contributing THEIR input and ideas and opinions.

I have heard that there are a LOT of forums where people are rude or snippy or just plain obnoxious. We never find any of that here.

And I think a lot of credit for that should go to James, for his gracious and always courteous leadership -- we all follow his example. Of course, MPI does seem to attract the "creme de la creme" (sorry, French members, I couldn't add the appropriate accent marks on those words!) of the internet, and I'm so happy I found this site to share so much with so many, literally, world-wide.

golf
"Portside, buddy."

Icepick
Admiral

#15 Post by Icepick »

It's certainly refreshing to come here and not have the usual animosity one would find on other message boards. I put it down to intelligent, mature people. But what else would you expect from Magnum p.i. fans? It just goes to show how great the series was.
Icepick - Does it ever occur to you that you are always having to bail your friend Magnum out of trouble?