Ask James...Q&A with the Web Master

Comments, questions, suggestions, criticism... anything at all about the website. This is also the place for member introductions

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

MPS
Fleet Admiral

#31 Post by MPS »

So, back to an "Ask James" question:

Is is possible to consolidate all the instructions for posting to the site (that aren't in FAQs) in one spot? Perhaps a link to the use of BBCode?

James has previously answered the "How to use an avatar" question.

Icepick gave great instructions on posting screen shots.

But there are some of us not-so-tech-savy people who still aren't sure how to do nested quotes. :oops: OK, so I haven't tried......

Thanks!!
Higgins: You've washed the car?! How extraordinary. Why would you do such a thing?

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#32 Post by J.J. Walters »

Great idea MPS. I'll add that to the FAQ and maybe a sticky post here in the MM sub-forum.

Thanks
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

lutherhgillis
Fleet Admiral

#33 Post by lutherhgillis »

James,

What does the future hold for this site? If you could do anything with it, what would you do? If cost was no object and you had unlimited time to spend, what would you like to do next? Thanks.

Luther 'you can't eat a computer at a ballgame' Gillis

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#34 Post by J.J. Walters »

Hmm, unlimited time and money, eh? Let's see...

I'd create an interactive, multiplayer, Magnum P.I. online game... for free, of course. It would feature the entire island of Oahu, in an "isometric perspective", to explore. All of the Magnum P.I. characters (big and small) would be in the game, with audio taken directly from the episodes. You could interact with any and all characters. Mysteries would have to be solved. Goals will have to be met. New, "slightly off-kilter", clients would enter the picture. Lives will be lost. Wine will be stolen.

There would be a "battle arena" (a seedy bar, really) where you fight the goons seen in the show. Magnum and T.C. (and even Rick and Higgins) would each have their own unique fighting abilities.

There would be a car racing simulator built in, also. Ferrari 308 GTS vs. all the other cars seen in the show.

There would be a "Guess the Henchman" trivia challenge. You come across a tough seen in the show and have guess who it is and from what episode - "Ah, 'Mortician #2' from "From Moscow to Maui", how are you today?"

I think that would be pretty cool. :)

N1095A
World Class Private Investigator

#35 Post by N1095A »

That sounds like a great way to spend hours and hours James.
"Wine will be stolen". :lol: I can see it now, You are Thomas Magnum, and you're desprate to wash down your Enchilada Machismo. You must use all the cunning and wit you learned as a Navy Seal and honed to profection as a private investigator to overcome Higgins varying attempts at wine cellar security.
I hope there would be some chase sequences with the original Jimmy.
"But Higgins, I can explain."

lutherhgillis
Fleet Admiral

#36 Post by lutherhgillis »

That sounds great! The beta version should be ready by... June? :wink:

Luther 'St Louie ain't the best of towns but it ain't the worst either' Gillis

IKnowWhatYoureThinking
Macho Taco & Coops Connoisseur

#37 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

Sounds like a great addition James.

Carmen
MPI

#38 Post by Carmen »

That would be bad!!! You know why? My family`d starve, household would go down - it`s bad enough the way it is now :wink:
Sometimes I get so lucky, even I don`t believe it (TSM)

Agatha
Baroness of Oahu

#39 Post by Agatha »

lol! I agree with Carmen, James!! I also agree with all that has been said about what a great job you've done with this site. And I KNOW who the "slightly off-kilter" client would be...Madeline Kahn!!

But this does bring up a question that I have...do you notice that activity on the site is "seasonal"? It's supposed to be nice here today and I have a pasture to fertilize...a tree to limb...and brush to burn. I actually GOT UP earlier than usual so I could check the site before I go outside!! Will "we" visit the site less often when it's nice out?

:)
Isn't the ocean beautiful at sunset? So soft....so peaceful...so romantic!

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#40 Post by Doc Ibold »

Agatha wrote:lol! I agree with Carmen, James!! I also agree with all that has been said about what a great job you've done with this site. And I KNOW who the "slightly off-kilter" client would be...Madeline Kahn!!

But this does bring up a question that I have...do you notice that activity on the site is "seasonal"? It's supposed to be nice here today and I have a pasture to fertilize...a tree to limb...and brush to burn. I actually GOT UP earlier than usual so I could check the site before I go outside!! Will "we" visit the site less often when it's nice out?

:)
Yup

lutherhgillis
Fleet Admiral

#41 Post by lutherhgillis »

Along the same line as the question about seasonality, have you noticed that the people who post come and go or do some of the same peopl hang around for long periods?

I have noticed many newbies come in. That is a compliment for you site.

Cheers.
Who's Dot Matrix, and what has she got to do with this?

MPS
Fleet Admiral

#42 Post by MPS »

I have also wondered about seasonality. I visit the site much more often when I have time off.

Is there a pattern to the registration of new members?
Higgins: You've washed the car?! How extraordinary. Why would you do such a thing?

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#43 Post by golfmobile »

I think there are about a dozen of us "die-hards" that poor James couldn't get rid of if he tried!!! :lol: We probably post more than is mentally healthy. But, hey! It keeps us off the streets and out of the bars (until I find out my favorite bar has WiFi, like McDonald's and Krystal!! :) )

(Okay, typing while watching the Hilton Head PGA tournament -- need to play this course on my computer golf game while they're playing [I've played this course lots of times on the computer before, but it's fun to play while a tournament is going on at the exact course]!! Ola, James!!) (But, wait, while watching now, they just did a blurb on Michael J. Fox's playing in the Pro-Am down there earlier this week. Whew! That choked me up. Puts your golf game in perspective, too . . . .)

golf
"Portside, buddy."

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#44 Post by J.J. Walters »

Yeah, only a small percentage of the 400+ registered users post with any kind of regularity. New people come aboard with a surprising amount of frequency. Most only stay a short while. Some pop in and post only every couple of months. Some leave for months on end... and return. Many more never register, only lurk. In other words, it's a fairly typical online forum/message board/bulletin board, only one with a not-so-typical subject. ;)

SelleckLover
RENLEDUN, Protectrix of the Realm

#45 Post by SelleckLover »

I guess I would be categorized as a "die-hard", no pun intended. I've been trying to die for the last year and a half but you're not going to get rid of me that easily! (LOL!) Besides, I don't have any grandchildren yet, so I have to stick around for that! :D