Gender Information

Comments, questions, suggestions, criticism... anything at all about the website. This is also the place for member introductions

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Carol the Dabbler
Fleet Admiral

Gender Information

#1 Post by Carol the Dabbler »

Hi, James. Several of the other forums I've been on allow members to (optionally) disclose their gender. Is there any provision in this forum's software for that? Gender could be displayed under our avatars, for those who choose to disclose it, like location. (Some forums display a small pink or blue square, for example.)

The reason I ask is that it's sometimes awkward referring to other forum members (having to say "he or she" for example). And one member was recently taken aback by seeing herself referred to as "he."

Not a major problem, but if it's a simple matter of turning on a switch in the software, I think several of us would really appreciate it. :D
Last edited by Carol the Dabbler on Mon May 12, 2008 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Carol

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#2 Post by J.J. Walters »

Sorry Carol, there is no 'Gender' field with this software.
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Carol the Dabbler
Fleet Admiral

#3 Post by Carol the Dabbler »

OK, I'm gonna try something ....

Et voila! (give or take a few accent marks) -- a homemade gender field!

All I did was add the information to my profile's Location field, which now contains:
Indiana, USA Gender: Female
The key is to make the actual location info just long enough to fill the first line, so that the rest of the field (in this case, "Gender: Female") wraps around to the second line, so that it looks like a separate field.

Added: Unfortunately, color codes do NOT seem to work within the Location field. I tried making mine pink (or actually violet, which is the closest available), but all it did was display the BBCode along with my info!

Note that the Location field is much longer than it looks. If your actual location info is longer than one line, you could probably get a third line's worth in there for your gender.

And note that you have to enter your password in ALL THREE places in order to change your profile.
Last edited by Carol the Dabbler on Mon May 12, 2008 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Carol

IKnowWhatYoureThinking
Macho Taco & Coops Connoisseur

#4 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

Nice investigative work Carol! Now people that want the choice can display gender.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#5 Post by J.J. Walters »

Very clever Carol!
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Autumn Warrior
Lieutenant

#6 Post by Autumn Warrior »

This topic isn’t exactly on point for my post, but I’ll use it anyway. It can be a risky proposition to talk about gender or race, but I’m planting one boot into the gender pond.

For many discussions about MPI, I’m sure that gender does not make any difference. However, for some things, men and women have a different perspective, so I think it’s good that there are several female members.

As a new member, I have been pleasantly surprised to see that this is not a "males-only" forum.
TM: Well, it's not that we're old; it's just that we're not young anymore.

lutherhgillis
Fleet Admiral

#7 Post by lutherhgillis »

As we say in St. Louie, opinions are like belly buttons, bub, everyone's got one...

I don't see why or how it matters what gender we are. Just enjoy...