James, about your work on the site.

Comments, questions, suggestions, criticism... anything at all about the website. This is also the place for member introductions

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

N1095A
World Class Private Investigator

James, about your work on the site.

#1 Post by N1095A »

I just want to say how much I admire your dedication. Very late last night I was watching "Operation Silent Night", and noticed some flubs. I posted them to that episode's forum, and today they are included in the episode synopsis. That shows amazing dedication and attention to detail on your part. Although I don't know that the yacht scenes from The final Countdown could be considered a flub, I am amazed by how quickly you noticed and posted them. In my humble opinion Magnum PI is the greatest series ever to grace the small screen, and this site is a wonderful tribute.
Last edited by N1095A on Tue Aug 28, 2007 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"But Higgins, I can explain."

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#2 Post by J.J. Walters »

Hey thanks, I appreciate it!

This site has been a very rewarding (part time) experience for me. I enjoy it. The site is basically in "maintenance mode" now. It really doesn't eat up a lot of my personal time at this point. Minor updates/corrections don't take very long to do at all, especially when they are supplied by you guys in the well-written, intelligent manner they almost always are! Cut-n-Paste, a little tweak here or there, add source credit, and BAM, done! ;)
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Magnum92
Captain

#3 Post by Magnum92 »

Yeah great work James you have done a magnificent job :wink:
Magnum: So far this case had cost me my right to the wine cellar, the last cash in my pocket, and nearly my life. If that clerk was lying to me, I was gonna come back down here and shove that Robin Masters paperback in his ear!

foggydayz
Commander

#4 Post by foggydayz »

yeah i just want to say thanks also James, you've done a fantastic job. your work is greatly appreciated.

Apollo
Lieutenant

Great site

#5 Post by Apollo »

Just registered today, great site. I have been visiting lately and am a big Magnum fan. I've gotten my family hooked lately as well. My 7 year old asked me the other night when we were going to watch Magnum. I will try to contribute as much as possible. Thanks for the great site.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#6 Post by J.J. Walters »

Magnum92, foggydayz, Apollo - thank you for the compliments. It means a lot. Welcome to the site! :)

IKnowWhatYoureThinking
Macho Taco & Coops Connoisseur

#7 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

I'll agree with these guys! Kudos on a job well done.

MPS
Fleet Admiral

#8 Post by MPS »

I've got to agree with everything said so far. This is a great site. Your work on it is impressive. There is always something new and interesting to check out. Thanks so much!
Higgins: You've washed the car?! How extraordinary. Why would you do such a thing?

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#9 Post by Little Garwood »

As a newbie here (but not to MPI), I have to say how impressed I am by the sheer volume of great information, especially in the episode guide, with all that cross referencing in the Higgins Timeline. Great job.

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#10 Post by golfmobile »

I'll throw in a repeat compliment too. It has been said several times from a lot of us here, but it certainly can bear repeating.

I can't tell you all how I delight in seeing new folks come on board and start making comments. It's amazing how almost anything that is said is of interest!! And I check every day to see what's going on on the boards -- and I'm SO disappointed when I come to the site and there are ANY little yellow "bells" (that's how I think of them). Now, granted, that rarely happens, but when it does, I always think, "Where is everybody?"

There is SO MUCH information here, and I think it is available to all of us because of so many contributions by the members here. This may be standard on forums like this (though I don't belong to any other TV shows forums, just a helicopter one), but the way James assembles it and uses it is remarkable, generous, and gracious.

And from what I've read about other forums, this one is also remarkable because no one is ever ugly and snapping at anyone else, no one gets mean-spirited or vicious or attacks anyone else for his/her opinion. That, I think, is quite a noteworthy condition, and I think the credit for the attitude exhibited here by all here should go, in full measure, to James because of his exceptional leadership to a motley crew of MPI fans.

I, for one, can't thank him enough for how much I've enjoyed everything and everyone here! I just wish there were something we could all do FOR him in return for all he's done for us.

golf
"Portside, buddy."

SelleckLover
RENLEDUN, Protectrix of the Realm

#11 Post by SelleckLover »

We could all chip in and send him to Oahu...just kidding!! :D

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#12 Post by J.J. Walters »

You guys are too kind. Thank you so much. I can't take all the credit, though. You all are what make this site just a wonderful place to visit! Everyone is so cordial and courteous. It's wonderful. The amount of Magnum-related information that has been contributed at these forums is truly staggering! And seeing the passion that so many people have for this show, and the joy that it brings, has been a real treat, as well.

I think this says something about the show itself. MPI seems to attract a high percentage of people who are intelligent and who adhere to the ideals of civility and morality. I can't say that I've run across many obtuse jerks who are fans of the show. ;)

Thanks again everyone.

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#13 Post by Little Garwood »

golfmobile wrote: And from what I've read about other forums, this one is also remarkable because no one is ever ugly and snapping at anyone else, no one gets mean-spirited or vicious or attacks anyone else for his/her opinion. That, I think, is quite a noteworthy condition, and I think the credit for the attitude exhibited here by all here should go, in full measure, to James because of his exceptional leadership to a motley crew of MPI fans.

golf
I've noticed that, too, in the brief time I've been here. I, for one, have definite opinions on all things MPI, but that doesn't mean I'm offended or unable to change my viewpoint--I already have on a few episodes, but more on that later...I'd like to think that no matter how our opinions might differ, that we'll all still be MPI "pals" regardless of any difference of opinion. I respect everyone's views if they'll respect mine. I'm really enjoying Magnum-mania!

Carol the Dabbler
Fleet Admiral

#14 Post by Carol the Dabbler »

You're right, everybody! This is an awe-inspiring site -- detailled episode guides, lengthy character biographies, articles on random topics, lists of everything -- and links! good heavens, the links! Most other sites of this complexity are selling something, but unless James is a silent partner in all those Magnumabilia sites that he links to, this is just his hobby!

I think two reasons that this forum is so enjoyable are that

1) It's well organized. Of course, the subject matter does lend itself to being organized by season and episode, but I think James was very wise to pre-create a thread for each episode, and then not allow creation of any additional threads in the season forums. That makes it easier for us to stay on-topic. (More or less. Most of the time.)

and

2) There are relatively few members. Right now there are only 222 registered members, and only a quarter of that number have posted more than a dozen times. So there's a sort of "family" feel to the forum. I suspect that people are more likely to "act up" when they feel like just one more anonymous face in a big, impersonal crowd.

But, analysis aside, kudos to James!

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#15 Post by J.J. Walters »

Carol the Dabbler wrote:You're right, everybody! This is an awe-inspiring site -- detailled episode guides, lengthy character biographies, articles on random topics, lists of everything -- and links! good heavens, the links! Most other sites of this complexity are selling something, but unless James is a silent partner in all those Magnumabilia sites that he links to, this is just his hobby!
Wow, thank you Carol. I appreciate it.

Yes, this is just a part-time hobby of mine. It started as a side project several years ago when the first DVD came out. As each DVD was released it just kind of grew and grew. It turned out to be more work than I originally anticipated, but I really get a lot of enjoyment out of it and it's been a great learning experience. Getting to know some of the fans of the show has been a big thrill, too. MPI fans are just a great bunch of people. :)

This site is, and always will be, non-profit and ad free (it only costs me ~ $7 a month to run the site). I don't own one piece of memorabilia from the show. Actually that's not true, I have those three unfilmed episode scripts, and those were actually gracefully given to me by several forum members. ;)