For New Members - PLEASE READ

Comments, questions, suggestions, criticism... anything at all about the website. This is also the place for member introductions

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

For New Members - PLEASE READ

#1 Post by ConchRepublican »

Due to a high incidence of spam posts after our site upgrade, we have instituted a new filter, the system will check and block the first 3 messages with URLs from NEW users.

We apologize for this inconvenience, but we hope it makes for a better experience overall.
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

Re: For New Members - PLEASE READ

#2 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Glad to hear there will be some added security at the Estate. I kept thinking Ivan was trying to get messages through to the KGB. ;-)
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

Gorilla Mask
Fleet Admiral

#3 Post by Gorilla Mask »

Hi guys,

Glad to know that we'll have fewer peddlers and door-to-door salesmen, coming, ringing and cluttering the intercom of our dear butler! Furthermore, I was a bit worried , these days, about those black dressed Russian agents who were trying to enter the property from the waterfront... 8)
"Je sais ce que vous allez me dire, et vous aurez raison..."

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

#4 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

School-boy tricks. I was not involved. :wink:

ConchRepublican

#5 Post by ConchRepublican »

IvanTheTerrible wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 3:40 pm School-boy tricks. I was not involved. :wink:
:lol: :lol:
CoziTV Superfan spot

Higgins@Kokoda
Ensign

#6 Post by Higgins@Kokoda »

I'm sure I heard Higgins say, with regards to the blight of the internet spammer, and this is a rather difficult story to tell...

"It all began in the summer of 1919 when my father was in the Military Section attached to the British delegation...the old boy was stricken with the influenza and, not to make excuses...there was this American Red Cross Nurse, from Texas, LOUD, COURSE, VULGAR...a TART ACTUALLY.."

Mad Kudu Buck
Fleet Admiral

#7 Post by Mad Kudu Buck »

Ah yes. I know the story well. It reminds me of the time I was captured by Mongolian bandits in Burma in '43... or was it '44? No matter. They put me in a cell with a Portuguese hermaphrodite who had taken ill after being bitten by a poisonous tree lizard. It was somewhat strange because that species of lizard is not indigenous to the area - quite remarkably similar to the time I was bitten by a Chinese needle snake in Mozambique during the Tutsi uprising of '52...

TigersHat
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#8 Post by TigersHat »

Don’t look at the URLs, work the lock.
Work the lock, don’t look at the URLs.

YOU LOOKED AT THE URLS!

ConchRepublican

#9 Post by ConchRepublican »

TigersHat wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 3:05 pm Don’t look at the URLs, work the lock.
Work the lock, don’t look at the URLs.

YOU LOOKED AT THE URLS!
:lol: :lol: :lol:
CoziTV Superfan spot

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#10 Post by T.Q. »

Conch,

I was curious.

How do these spammers break through the Dracos lll.8 security protocols of signing up. getting the email and verifying?

They must be real people right?
Knocking my rubber chicken or my sloppy habits is within the rules, but you're attacking my character. I would like to think you don't mean that.

ConchRepublican

#11 Post by ConchRepublican »

T.Q. wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 3:16 pm Conch,

I was curious.

How do these spammers break through the Dracos lll.8 security protocols of signing up. getting the email and verifying?

I have NO idea . . . they very much appear to be bots to me going by their email addresses (for example, the latest is v.e.r.on.asku.t.en.k.o.al.l.s.ta.r@gmail.com which reads like it's autogenerated). I can't believe people sit in their underwear in the basement and just spam random boards, but I do think people create these things and set them loose just to be dicks. Or to steal info . . .

I have kept Styles' post up because it seems to have become a bit a honey drawing these posts in so I can stay on top of them more easily. Since that has been "kinda" working I'm hesitant to spend money on the Dracos IV security protocol . . .
CoziTV Superfan spot

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#12 Post by T.Q. »

ConchRepublican wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 4:47 pm
T.Q. wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 3:16 pm Conch,

I was curious.

I have NO idea . . . they very much appear to be bots to me going by their email addresses (for example, the latest is v.e.r.on.asku.t.en.k.o.al.l.s.ta.r@gmail.com which reads like it's autogenerated). I can't believe people sit in their underwear in the basement and just spam random boards, but I do think people create these things and set them loose just to be dicks. Or to steal info . . .

I have kept Styles' post up because it seems to have become a bit a honey drawing these posts in so I can stay on top of them more easily. Since that has been "kinda" working I'm hesitant to spend money on the Dracos IV security protocol . . .
Ah, the Dracos IV... that's right.

I didn't remember so I searched and it was written weird but I still cut & pasted it. :oops:
Knocking my rubber chicken or my sloppy habits is within the rules, but you're attacking my character. I would like to think you don't mean that.

Carol the Dabbler
Fleet Admiral

#13 Post by Carol the Dabbler »

ConchRepublican wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 6:52 pm Due to a high incidence of spam posts after our site upgrade, we have instituted a new filter, the system will check and block the first 3 messages with URLs from NEW users.
How does this look to a (genuine) new user? Are they informed that they'll need to repeat their first post several times?
Carol

ConchRepublican

#14 Post by ConchRepublican »

Carol the Dabbler wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 11:36 pm
ConchRepublican wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 6:52 pm Due to a high incidence of spam posts after our site upgrade, we have instituted a new filter, the system will check and block the first 3 messages with URLs from NEW users.
How does this look to a (genuine) new user? Are they informed that they'll need to repeat their first post several times?
Good question, I do not know.

I'll try and find out. My hope is new members would have lurked on the boards for a while and read the announcements.
CoziTV Superfan spot

Carol the Dabbler
Fleet Admiral

#15 Post by Carol the Dabbler »

ConchRepublican wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 11:36 pm
Carol the Dabbler wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 11:36 pm
Good question, I do not know.

I'll try and find out. My hope is new members would have lurked on the boards for a while and read the announcements.
From my experience with other forums, some people do lurk first, but others look for (in this case) a Magnum forum because they're dying to post something -- and it'd be a shame to thwart that kind of enthusiasm.

You might try creating an additional account for yourself, and see what happens when you try to post something. If you get a non-helpful error message, you (as a genuine newbie) might try once more, but at that point I can imagine a lot of people just giving up.

Added: Just read your initial post again, and since the algorithm relies on IP addresses, seems like it could also block an existing user if they move to a new place, or even try to post from their cell phone. And they'd presumably have no idea what had gone wrong.
Carol