The "New Posts" link

Comments, questions, suggestions, criticism... anything at all about the website. This is also the place for member introductions

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

MHTR
Vice Admiral

The "New Posts" link

#1 Post by MHTR »

I bookmarked the "New Posts" link in the quick links menu, and when I tried to test it I got a message saying you have to be logged in to see the New Posts page. Can this be changed? Every other forum I frequent does not have this requirement of having to be logged in. Thanks.

EDIT
It also doesn't seem to be working right (or at least not as other new post pages on other forums); as of right now, it is only showing this new post, even though I just made a post not more than 5 or 10 minutes ago.

ANOTHER EDIT
Okay, I got the new post page mixed up with the Active Topics link, which is what I want. But what I wrote in my first edit above applies also to the Active Topics page. None of my three posts I made just now show up on that page. The only thread that shows was last posted to two days ago. This isn't working the way other forums Active Topics pages work.

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

Re: The "New Posts" link

#2 Post by ConchRepublican »

Let me look into this . . .
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

MikeS
Admiral

#3 Post by MikeS »

New Posts and the Active Topics links are wonky, Active Topics tells me there's no suitable matches. Both links should provide results at least from the last week, and it would be nice if you could use these links even if not logged in. I believe I mentioned this more than a year ago, I pointed to other forums using the same forum software as examples.

Wow, it was 6 years ago (June 2014) I mentioned searching for new or active content could be improved and made easier...
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2917
MikeS

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#4 Post by ConchRepublican »

Still trying to iron out the spamming issues.

As for the links, do you have checked in the Forum "keep me logged in"?
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

MHTR
Vice Admiral

#5 Post by MHTR »

Is there any update on the "Active Topics" page? It still isn't working right.

MikeS
Admiral

#6 Post by MikeS »

There is a phpBB web-based tool that allows you to log in and try out the various settings in the admin panel, including enabling and disabling forum functionality, enabling and disabling sub forums, # of posts listed, etc, when new posts, active topics are clicked. You can also adjust guests results. When it comes to searching the forum in my experience the results (# of hits, date range, # of sub forums searched) are usually the same for members and guest. Posting is usually disabled for guest of course, and sometimes member-only sub forums will remain hidden, kinda like those sub forums for admin, mods, etc.

Most forums I visit allow guests to search active topics or recent posts which produces a slew of topics to read, usually going back the last 7 days being the default time range. IIRC, MM only shows the reboot sub forum when visiting as a guest.

I believe it's as simple as checking a box next to a sub forum and also checking a box that states something like view when logged in or hide when a guest (or non logged in member), something like that???

OK, while logged in...
- I clicked the active topics link - I got 5 hits only from reboot talk, newest hit from April 24, 2021, oldest hit from April 18, 2021.
- clicking new posts produced 71 hits, looks like all the sub forums were included in the results, newest from April 25, 2021, oldest from Feb. 24, 2021.

It might help to go into the admin panel settings and have a look at how the sub forums are included and the range is set for new posts, then compare the settings for active topics. It may help also to update what guests can get result-wise when they visit and do a search by comparing what members can get result-wise when doing a forum search while logged in.
MikeS