Site update

Comments, questions, suggestions, criticism... anything at all about the website. This is also the place for member introductions

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

Re: Site update

#46 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

Hi Pahonu and Ivan,
Whenever some one posts on the Magnum Mania Forums where I have posted previously, I get a e-mail -

"You are receiving this notification because you are watching the topic
"Site update" at "Magnum Mania!". This topic has received a reply by
IvanTheTerrible since your last visit. No more notifications will be sent
until you visit the topic.
f you want to view the newest post made since your last visit, click the
following link:
http://magnum-mania.com/Forum/viewtopic ... ead#unread"

I click on it and read the post, in this case Ivan's. Then I might go and explore various threads such as "Other TV Shows".
I assumed because I could not get to all the old Magnum Mania sites from here(episode guide etc) they were gone.
So, in my case because I didn't keep an "old" link, I could not access them.
Wouldn't new members also be in that situation?
In the past when I was reading a link, when I was done I would click on the big Magnum Mania logo at the top of the page, which used to take you right to the Episode Guide etc.
Now it just goes to Forums.
I suggest that if one could once more click on the big MM logo header to go to the main site, it would be much more user friendly.
I realize I am a Luddite of epic proportions, but wouldn't once more enabling the big logo link to the Episode Guide etc. be very convenient for everyone?

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#47 Post by Pahonu »

Luther's nephew Dobie wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 3:51 am Hi Pahonu and Ivan,
Whenever some one posts on the Magnum Mania Forums where I have posted previously, I get a e-mail -

"You are receiving this notification because you are watching the topic
"Site update" at "Magnum Mania!". This topic has received a reply by
IvanTheTerrible since your last visit. No more notifications will be sent
until you visit the topic.
f you want to view the newest post made since your last visit, click the
following link:
http://magnum-mania.com/Forum/viewtopic ... ead#unread"

I click on it and read the post, in this case Ivan's. Then I might go and explore various threads such as "Other TV Shows".
I assumed because I could not get to all the old Magnum Mania sites from here(episode guide etc) they were gone.
So, in my case because I didn't keep an "old" link, I could not access them.
Wouldn't new members also be in that situation?
In the past when I was reading a link, when I was done I would click on the big Magnum Mania logo at the top of the page, which used to take you right to the Episode Guide etc.
Now it just goes to Forums.
I suggest that if one could once more click on the big MM logo header to go to the main site, it would be much more user friendly.
I realize I am a Luddite of epic proportions, but wouldn't once more enabling the big logo link to the Episode Guide etc. be very convenient for everyone?
That’s what I expected you were doing, accessing the forum directly. I do the same often, but would just type magnum mania into the browser to go to the main page. I agree, it really should have a link back to the main site and I believe it used to at one time. I would say that new users likely see the main page first if they search for Magnum pi. That’s what Google brings up. Adding the link would be Conch’s decision.

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

#48 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Pahonu wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 1:59 am
IvanTheTerrible wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 10:47 pm
Pahonu wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:21 pm
IvanTheTerrible wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 6:31 pm I guess I'm a little confused. What is this "old site" that you chaps speak of?

http://magnum-mania.com/ is the current site. It's the home page of the current main site. It's the one I always go to in order to get to these forums.

Dobie, how do you get on here? How do you access the magnum-mania site?
I think Dobie was using a direct link to the forum and unfortunately there’s not a link from the forum back to the main site if you start in the forum. I believe their used to be. It’s not an old site you haven’t accessed.
But are the "old goodies" that he's looking for on the main site? I thought he was looking for old discussions, which would be in the discussion forum, not on the main site.
No, he referred to the episode guide and other things linked on the main site. There’s not an old forum or anything. This forum dates to the time JJ founded the site.
Ok, I thought he was looking for old discussions. He mentioned Magnum babes lol. Sounds like a discussion forum topic.

eagle
Fleet Admiral

#49 Post by eagle »

IvanTheTerrible wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 3:30 pmOk, I thought he was looking for old discussions. He mentioned Magnum babes lol. Sounds like a discussion forum topic.
If it's not, maybe it should be. :D I think my favorite was always Digger Doyle.

And, more to the point made earlier: Whenever I encounter a deep link (such as a link to a forum post), I often enter my browser's URL bar and chop everything off the end to see the main site.

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#50 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Yeah, when James created the site and the forum, the banner he created used to link back to the site. Like this:

The forum we're on is hosted on a totally different platform (even though the url is the same) so linking back is probably a worthwhile feature. It was changed (probably accidentally) in 2018 when the forum got a big update to the latest PHP version.
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#51 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

Styles Bitchley wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 4:24 pm Yeah, when James created the site and the forum, the banner he created used to link back to the site. Like this:

The forum we're on is hosted on a totally different platform (even though the url is the same) so linking back is probably a worthwhile feature. It was changed (probably accidentally) in 2018 when the forum got a big update to the latest PHP version.
Thanks for that Styles. I just had to jump on that link, went to my favorite "Hawaiian Peaches". I am on board with Eagle, "Digger Doyle" was memorable.
Thanks to Pahonu, Ivan, Sam and Styles for your help explaining the situation with the old MM link at the top of the page.
I appreciate it.

MikeS
Admiral

#52 Post by MikeS »

Since I wasn't sure how long before a link would be added back I just added the bookmark to my browser...

Magnum Mania Home -> https://magnum-mania.com/
Magnum Mania Forum -> http://magnum-mania.com/Forum/index.php

:magnum:
MikeS

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#53 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

MikeS wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 12:13 pm Since I wasn't sure how long before a link would be added back I just added the bookmark to my browser...

Magnum Mania Home -> https://magnum-mania.com/
Magnum Mania Forum -> http://magnum-mania.com/Forum/index.php

:magnum:
Mike S,
You guys are all terrific for pitching in. I just went to look at the Fan Art section after not having viewed it in some time. Wow, there is some outstanding stuff there
and there are some fine artists among us
I didn't recognize any of the artists name, of course they likely post here under a monicker such as I do. I'm actually a Mike. I liked Dobie Gillis starring Dwayne
Hickman as a kid, so I figured it was a good tie in to Luther Gillis.