Suggestions for website and forums

Comments, questions, suggestions, criticism... anything at all about the website. This is also the place for member introductions

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Kwai Bridge
Captain

Suggestions for website and forums

#1 Post by Kwai Bridge »

Hey everyone.

As some of you may or may not remember, graphic and web design are two of the things I graduated. As a major fan of Magnum P.I. and as a guy who has immense respect for JJ and the website he created, which is undeniably the authority for all things Magnum P.I., I'd like to list a few suggestions to make it slighty more sleeker and informative (even though it already excels in the latter), all the while maintaining the original look because that's what makes it feel authentic and old school.

Without further ado, here's my (very short) list:
  • Make the forum banner transparent instead of white to make it consistent with the header (and it simply looks more professional), like this (excuse my shitty edit which cut off the rotor blades, it still serves its purpose though), or maybe a high-res redesign in the same manner: Image
  • Make that very forum banner lead to Forum Index instead of the actual magnum-mania website - the actual "Forum Index" link is way too small (especially if browsing on phone). Also it feels more intuitive; I can't count the numbers I made the mistake of clicking the banner and had to hit the back button to return to the forums since I got redirected to the website;
  • In the same manner, make the magnum-mania website banner always link to magnum-mania homepage. E.g: I'm browsing the "Higgins History" section, then move on to "Top 40 Episodes", and I want to return to the index. So now, instead of just clicking the banner to bring me back home, I have to hit back twice (or however many times I've clicked on a non-parent link);
  • Don't let the main menu article buttons disappear when you click on them and end up on that very article page (in this case I was on "Characters" and clicked on "DVD"):

They should remain where they are, like the ones in the left sidebar. Not sure why's this "feature" even implemented;
  • Blu-rays have been released! Rename the "DVD" section to "DVD/Blu-Ray" and add the links for Blu-ray purchases;
  • A small one, but nevertheless triggers my OCD:

The bottom frame of "Print Media" appears bolder than the rest of the buttons, making it seem more important than the other sections. Apologies if this was on purpose.

So I think that concludes my list. I apologize if I've accidentally offended anyone, I'm only trying to make our HQ look the best it can! 8)

EDIT: Oh oh oh! I also think we should have our own official shirt or something. Do you agree?

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

Re: Suggestions for website and forums

#2 Post by J.J. Walters »

Hi Kwai!

ALL great suggestions! And thanks for the kind words about the site. I appreciate it. When I created this site I barely knew anything about HTML or CSS. I learned it on the fly, but it was a great learning experience. The whole site needs to be redone in HTML 5 and the forum PHP needs to be updated. The thought of doing that makes my head hurt! :) I work in IT and it's so hard for me to just turn on my computer when I get home, let alone actually doing something technical with it. But who knows, I get bursts of inspiration from time to time. I'll make some improvements to the code at some point I'm sure. ;)
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Kwai Bridge
Captain

#3 Post by Kwai Bridge »

Any progress so far? Is anyone interested in doing this? 8)

Laohu
Fleet Admiral

#4 Post by Laohu »

In the listings reboot talk when the new episodes titles are listing could we leave out the Refuse to watch option in the polls ? If your not watching that’s fine but having that on there seems kind of strange and unnecessary.
Or is it there to drive the rating down so a reboot episode can’t get a better rating then the original show ?

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#5 Post by ConchRepublican »

Laohu wrote:In the listings reboot talk when the new episodes titles are listing could we leave out the Refuse to watch option in the polls ? If your not watching that’s fine but having that on there seems kind of strange and unnecessary.
Or is it there to drive the rating down so a reboot episode can’t get a better rating then the original show ?
It's there so people have the opportunity to voice their displeasure at the very existence of the reboot.
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#6 Post by Pahonu »

ConchRepublican wrote:
Laohu wrote:In the listings reboot talk when the new episodes titles are listing could we leave out the Refuse to watch option in the polls ? If your not watching that’s fine but having that on there seems kind of strange and unnecessary.
It's there so people have the opportunity to voice their displeasure at the very existence of the reboot.
Hey Conch,

I would say it is odd to have a choice under "Rate this Episode" that gives a rating after admittedly not actually watching the episode. I understand that many people don't like the reboot. I gave up on it after four or five episodes. It's just seems to not be a legitimate rating if you never saw it. If you asked someone about a newly released film and they said they think it's garbage but they never actually saw it, how much credence would you give to their opinion. I've always remembered Roger Ebert writing about the enormous number of bad films he had to sit through in his career, but he couldn't give an honest review before watching it. Just my two cents.

Higgins (aka Bondtoys)
Fleet Admiral

#7 Post by Higgins (aka Bondtoys) »

Imo, it's better to have the "refuse to watch" option instead of people that hate the reboot giving it the lowest possible rating which would then make the results less accurate.

But I understand your reasoning, Pahonu.

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#8 Post by Pahonu »

Bondtoys.de wrote:Imo, it's better to have the "refuse to watch" option instead of people that hate the reboot giving it the lowest possible rating which would then make the results less accurate.

But I understand your reasoning, Pahonu.
Keeping a total of people who click "refuse to watch" is a good idea. It gives more information. In these polls, however, when someone clicks that option it averages in a zero, which is now the lowest score possible and lowers the average rating even more. I just don't think it's statistically honest or accurate to include zero ratings into the overall score for people who have not watched the episode. It's really not right to include any rating where the episode was not viewed. Viewing it and evaluating it is the whole point of the rating system.
Last edited by Pahonu on Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Higgins (aka Bondtoys)
Fleet Admiral

#9 Post by Higgins (aka Bondtoys) »

oops, I didn't know that.
I was assuming that "refuse to watch" would not count to the rating.

Maybe we should (if we technically can) deactivate the counting for the "refuse" clicks

Laohu
Fleet Admiral

#10 Post by Laohu »

It is one way to make sure that the new show will not have a high of a rating as the old show .i like the old show. I think the quality of it speaks for itself so there is no need to make the polling slanted to make it stack up against favorable against the new one . And be honest guys some of you are watching and voting refused to watch .

Reef monkey
Fleet Admiral

#11 Post by Reef monkey »

I add my voice to the side that says "refuse to watch" shouldn't have any effect one way or another on the overall rating of the episode. It makes the rating invalid to count "refuse to watch" as a score. If it can't be fixed so that it does not affect the aggregate rating, it should be removed as an option.
My essay "In Country: Place and Historical Connection in Magnum PI", about the importance of the Honolulu/Vietnam connection in the show:
http://magnum-mania.com/Forum/viewtopic ... 850#p57850