What programs do you use for screen captures?

Comments, questions, suggestions, criticism... anything at all about the website. This is also the place for member introductions

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

ENSHealy
Fleet Admiral

What programs do you use for screen captures?

#1 Post by ENSHealy »

Hi everyone,

I'm working my way through the series again (watched Woman on the Beach yesterday) and as I go, I'd like to make some screen captures of memorable scenes, etc. What's the best program to use to get good quality screen caps?

Thanks for your suggestions.
Ensign Healy
Scholar in Residence
The Institute for Advanced Magnum Studies

"I woke up one day at 53 and realized I'd never been 23."

Mad Kudu Buck
Fleet Admiral

Re: What programs do you use for screen captures?

#2 Post by Mad Kudu Buck »

I use the free video player VLC. While watching a DVD or digital copy with VLC, you can pause it, then go to "Video/Snapshot" and it'll save that frame.

ENSHealy
Fleet Admiral

#3 Post by ENSHealy »

Thanks for the tip. I also have VLC and had used that feature before, but the caps I got were blurry. Thinking more on it now, it's not due to any failure in the capture function, the frame itself must have been blurry due to motion on the screen and the frame rate (24 fps?).

I played around with it some more, and if the shot on the screen is relatively still, the capture is good. In other words, the capture's only as good as the original frame, so I'll keep using VLC and just have pic my caps more carefully. I will just have to live with blurs if I really need an action shot.

Thanks again for the advice.
Ensign Healy
Scholar in Residence

Mad Kudu Buck
Fleet Admiral

#4 Post by Mad Kudu Buck »

Yes, when there's a lot of action, you have to be careful about which frame you pick. You can go forward frame by frame by pressing "e" when paused. Unfortunately, there is no way to go back frame by frame (?!) so if you miss it, you have to go back and find it again by going forward frame by frame.

Also, if it's an old TV show like Magnum P.I., it'll be interlaced - so for a smoother shot, de-interlace first.

I captured these with VLC, from DVD (and scaled them down to fit the forum). The action is sill a bit blurry, but that's the best I could do:

Last edited by Mad Kudu Buck on Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#5 Post by K Hale »

Where is de-interlace on VLC? That looks like good info to have.

Also... does anyone else just do a regular screen capture, i.e. alt+ctrl+prt scn?
I didn't realize you were so addicted to pool.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

Mad Kudu Buck
Fleet Admiral

#6 Post by Mad Kudu Buck »

Deinterlace in VLC is under menu Video/Deinterlace and Video/Deinterlace Mode - but that's in the Mac version. Apparently, different versions of VLC have different features and options.

Screen capture with alt+ctrl+prt scn only works in Windows. I suppose that could work too (as long as you're using Windows) but it might also capture on-screen display items over the video.

ENSHealy
Fleet Admiral

#7 Post by ENSHealy »

how far do you have to scale down the images to fit the forum?
Ensign Healy
Scholar in Residence