My Magnum Story

Comments, questions, suggestions, criticism... anything at all about the website. This is also the place for member introductions

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Kwai Bridge
Captain

My Magnum Story

#1 Post by Kwai Bridge »

It all began in 2003.

I was 9 years old at the time and I would spend every afternoon after school to hang out with my class mate, who also happened to be my best friend.

Incidentally, that was the year I've first seen Magnum P.I.

Just as we would arrive at his place after classes, the show would start playing on the TV. It wasn't only the theme song and Ferrari that made Magnum stick in my head all those years later, it was a certain episode, called "Home from the sea". Although I was only 9, it had such an impact on me and it was so memorable, which would make me watch all the episodes at a later point in my life.

Only 10 years later would I realize what Magnum P.I. was all about. During my high school years I had a hiatus in watching TV shows, and only after my graduation would I start watching TV shows again. Memories of the before mentioned episode have emerged and I knew I had to watch the show again.

My journey with re-watching Magnum went on for 2 years (2012-2013). It was an incredible experience to remember small details I've already seen as a child. It made me to realize why I've loved it then, and why it was my favorite show now.

Since I've always loved the trivia, I remembered all the details from the episodes and I would Google them to see if they were mentioned somewhere. That's how I found this site, and my mind was blown. I thought about joining for over two years, but I had no idea how could I contribute to it since all I've found was already mentioned here.

Then, two days ago, I simply decided that I should be a part of the best fan community for my favorite TV show ever. I'm 21 years old now and probably the only person at that age to have Magnum as his favorite show or even know who Magnum is.

I've also imagined an ideal ending in my head. Magnum is in a happy relationship with Cynthia and he's still a private investigator, while she is his partner. Since Cynthia didn't get together with Magnum in "Resolutions" (that really disappointed me a lot, I was waiting for a moment when she would appear), I'm still looking for an ideal episode for a perfect ending in my head. If I exclude season 8 (since Magnum joins the Navy and isn't with Cynthia), that would mean Magnum actually died in season 7 finale. So it has to be somewhere between "L.A." and "Out of Sync". I just didn't like the fact that he had to "grow up" in finale by joining the Navy again.

But that's already touching the fan-fiction, I just though I would share it, I'm sure more of you imagined your ending in your heads.

So, what am I going to do on this site now? Since it's been a year since I've watched all the Magnum seasons, I will watch them again. I feel it drawing me back. Then I'll review every episode in the dedicated sections of the forum.

Anyway, sorry for the lengthy post, and I'm so glad to join the family! Expect more of me! :wink:

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

Re: My Magnum Story

#2 Post by KENJI »

Welcome K.B.!

Many thanks for sharing your story!!
Look forward to reading more of your posts.

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#3 Post by 308GUY »

Welcome KB.

Your fantasy ending is as feasible as any I've seen. :) I always thought TM and Cynthia had good chemistry too, but I'm fairly fond of miss Delany. :magnum:

Look forward to seeing/hearing more from you as you take the MPI journey again. Never ceases to amuse and entertain me, I can easily catch at least one episode a day!
"C'mon TC...nothing can go wrong!"

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#4 Post by Little Garwood »

Welcome, Kwai Bridge!

You'd be surprised at the things we discover in episodes of Magnum. Most of us have been watching the show since it began and yet we're always finding things we hadn't noticed before!
"Popularity is the pocket change of history."

~Tom Selleck

terryfromkerry
Fleet Admiral

#5 Post by terryfromkerry »

Welcome Kwai Bridge,

Great 1st post. :magnum:
"Oh Jonathan !....oh Jonathan, come quickly ...... your hot cross buns are smoking".

Kwai Bridge
Captain

#6 Post by Kwai Bridge »

Thank you all for warm welcomes and enjoying my post! :wink:

If you liked my initial post, I just wrote another one in "Is Jonathan Higgins Robin Masters?" thread (I just had to, you knew it was coming!).

You were right, I did find something I didn't notice before! I think that you all are going to like that one too, it gave me headache! :lol:

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#7 Post by Doc Ibold »

Welcome aboard!

BWheelz54
Admiral

#8 Post by BWheelz54 »

Hey welcome aboard KB!

I really enjoyed your post here. I didn't find it too lengthy at all. It really reminded me of how I came to fall for this Magnum TV show so hard. Born in 1973, I am old enough to have grown up in the eighties. I was in grade school and junior high when Magnum was on television. My dad didn't let us watch too much tv (he was a football and baseball coach and was always chasing my brother and I around some kind of field with a clipboard and a whistle). BUT, he liked Magnum PI himself too, and so we got together and enjoyed that show when it was first broadcast.

The episode that remained so strongly in my memory was a scene in season 5's "All for One," the scene where Higgins is giving blood to Rick. Who knows why that scene, out of all of them, so stuck in my head? But recalling that scene a couple years ago when Magnum PI came along to Netflix kinda chased me back to Magnum, and I have been super hooked since. I watch an episode everyday when I am home on my lunch break. I find it's not so much the mysteries and cases that keep me coming back as much as just watching Thomas, Higgins, Rick and TC interact with one another. Just today, I watched "All Thieves on Deck" and got a kick at how Thomas, TC and Rick treat Apollo like one of the guys when the dog is recovering from being shot at the vet's. So, I really smiled to read how you fell for Magnum. It's how I did too.

I don't think you should worry about your posts being too long. A post like that really keeps the show and all of us young. Just so cool to have you with us! :higgins:

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#9 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Great first post, KB. Everyone has their own story about what brought them here and it's usually quite personal and often touching. Thanks for sharing.
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

Kwai Bridge
Captain

#10 Post by Kwai Bridge »

Thanks again, everyone. I believe I've already proven myself useful to the community. :lol:

After browsing all 61 pages of "Magnum P.I. Talk" it made me wish that the forums are as active as few years ago. It seems like half of the people are gone and I really hoped I'd catch J.J. and thank him for creating a site which brought together such awesome people, but he never seems to be online. :(

Oh well, I hope he reads this message some day.

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#11 Post by Doc Ibold »

Kwai Bridge wrote:Thanks again, everyone. I believe I've already proven myself useful to the community. :lol:

After browsing all 61 pages of "Magnum P.I. Talk" it made me wish that the forums are as active as few years ago. It seems like half of the people are gone and I really hoped I'd catch J.J. and thank him for creating a site which brought together such awesome people, but he never seems to be online. :(

Don't worry KB, He'll get to ya. Running the Magnaverse on top of living his actual life is quite busy.

The forums ebb and flow, depending on when people discover this place. Some post only a few times, some post a lot and then leave and others come and go.. Whereas others stay around.

It's a testament how active of a forum it still is across the world.

Kwai Bridge
Captain

#12 Post by Kwai Bridge »

Doc Ibold wrote:
Kwai Bridge wrote:Thanks again, everyone. I believe I've already proven myself useful to the community. :lol:

Don't worry KB, He'll get to ya. Running the Magnaverse on top of living his actual life is quite busy.

The forums ebb and flow, depending on when people discover this place. Some post only a few times, some post a lot and then leave and others come and go.. Whereas others stay around.

Yeah, I understand and agree completely. I'm just grateful this place even exists! :wink:

Turkey
Admiral

#13 Post by Turkey »

Welcome from another newbie, Kwai Bridge!

Great first post - Home from the Sea is burned into my memory too (though I first saw it only a few years back so it was relatively fresh in my mind when I saw it a second time)

Turkey
Make it two weeks.

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#14 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Doc Ibold wrote:Don't worry KB, He'll get to ya. Running the Magnaverse on top of living his actual life is quite busy.

I come and go, myself...more coming, rather than going. It depends on what's going on in my life and what my television viewing and internet habits are. I always love coming back though. I tend to spend a lot of time on my iPad these days and the forum is actually a pain to use in that environment. Once James gets working on the site again, I'll petition him for an app!
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.