Don't know if this has already been posted...

Comments, questions, suggestions, criticism... anything at all about the website. This is also the place for member introductions

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

RamblerReb
Commander

Don't know if this has already been posted...

#1 Post by RamblerReb »

I found it on despair.com and thought I'd share:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Braddah Kimo
Fleet Admiral

#2 Post by Braddah Kimo »

hmmmm. afraid this may have to be explained to me....

RamblerReb
Commander

#3 Post by RamblerReb »

Braddah Kimo wrote:hmmmm. afraid this may have to be explained to me....
I think it may have to do with the well-known mystical, borderline-divine powers of Selleck's 'stache. And, of course, the reality-warping powers over space and time it gives him.

How else does a man in his mid-sixties have hair browner than a regulation football and keep getting work in Hollywood while a registered Republican? Obviously, the 'stache.

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#4 Post by Pahonu »

RamblerReb wrote:
Braddah Kimo wrote:hmmmm. afraid this may have to be explained to me....
I think it may have to do with the well-known mystical, borderline-divine powers of Selleck's 'stache. And, of course, the reality-warping powers over space and time it gives him.

How else does a man in his mid-sixties have hair browner than a regulation football and keep getting work in Hollywood while a registered Republican? Obviously, the 'stache.
I remember an interview in which he described himself as an independent with libertarian leanings, so I don't believe he is a registered Republican. Anyone else know about this?

RamblerReb
Commander

#5 Post by RamblerReb »

Well, his Wikipedia article quotes that interview, but it also says "He endorsed Senator John McCain in the 2008 presidential election." That's fairly Republicanish to me. Let's face it, McCain is no libertarian. I should know, because I am one myself.

Don't get me wrong, Selleck can be whatever he wants, it does not take away from his mustachioed awesomeness. I'm just pointing out that guys who appear in NRA ads don't generally seem to get callbacks on the Left Coast. It must the awesome and terrible powers of the 'stache.

Pahonu

#6 Post by Pahonu »

RamblerReb wrote:Well, his Wikipedia article quotes that interview, but it also says "He endorsed Senator John McCain in the 2008 presidential election." That's fairly Republicanish to me. Let's face it, McCain is no libertarian. I should know, because I am one myself.

Don't get me wrong, Selleck can be whatever he wants, it does not take away from his mustachioed awesomeness. I'm just pointing out that guys who appear in NRA ads don't generally seem to get callbacks on the Left Coast. It must the awesome and terrible powers of the 'stache.
I wasn't arguing about his political positions, just that he was not registered as a Republican, as you stated, but rather as an independent. Being politically conservative and a Republican Party member are not necessarily the same thing, particularly in the divide between fiscal and social conservatives. I know many people who are quite socially liberal and hold conservative fiscal views. Many of them are independents for this reason. I have never heard of Selleck expressing any religiously right leaning views in terms of social issues. In fact, I am uncertain of his religious affiliation if any. After all, Ayn Rand, the sometimes conservative (read Paul Ryan) inspiration was a staunch atheist.

McCain swung fairly right for the 2008 election from many of his previous positions. He was known as quite a centrist Republican prior. So much so, and many people don't remember this, that in the 2000 Republican primary he was supported by Bill Maher! Surprisingly, Maher had previously expressed several libertarian leanings as well over the years.

There are several conservatives in Hollywood besides Selleck who do allright. John Voight and Patricia Heaton come to mind and neither have the 'stache! :lol:

RamblerReb
Commander

#7 Post by RamblerReb »

Pahonu wrote: There are several conservatives in Hollywood besides Selleck who do allright. John Voight and Patricia Heaton come to mind and neither have the 'stache! :lol:
And neither are they awesome and terrible masters of space, time, and reality, unlike Selleck and the 'stache. Also, while Heston could part the Red Sea with God and the FX department's help, Selleck would just ask nicely and the waters would jump aside to oblige and then ask, in a quavering voice, for his autograph as he walked across to the Sinai Peninsula.

Also, I have no idea who Patricia Heaton is.

Pahonu

#8 Post by Pahonu »

RamblerReb wrote:
Pahonu wrote: There are several conservatives in Hollywood besides Selleck who do allright. John Voight and Patricia Heaton come to mind and neither have the 'stache! :lol:

Also, I have no idea who Patricia Heaton is.
She's a television actress who played Ray Romano's wife in Everbody Loves Raymond. She is also in a current series called The Middle and does lots of commercials as well. She's been quite vocal about her conservatism and the general lack of it in Hollywood.

After all this, now I'm wondering about Selleck's religious beliefs. Never thought about it all these years. Hot button issue, I know, but just wondering. I know in Magnum the character says something to the effect that he doesn't have much use for religion. I don't remember the episode, but I'm sure someone around here will know it. I'm curious if that was his own view or a writer's.

Louise
Captain

#9 Post by Louise »

In the episode where TC is in a coma and his phony "brother" turns up at the hospital, there's a scene in the waiting room where he and TM are talking and TM says something about trusting in God. I can't remember the actual line as I've only seen the episode once, but it stuck in my mind because it seemed a bit incongruous. (Also, I'm an atheist so I tend to notice things like that!).

And I thought Tom Selleck was a Christian? I vaguely remember reading it somewhere, can't remember where so I may be wrong.

Braddah Kimo
Fleet Admiral

#10 Post by Braddah Kimo »

I came here about a mustache and get politics and religion! yow!

RamblerReb
Commander

#11 Post by RamblerReb »

Braddah Kimo wrote:I came here about a mustache and get politics and religion! yow!
I agree. Let's get firmly back on the subject of the 'stache.

Pahonu

#12 Post by Pahonu »

RamblerReb wrote:
Braddah Kimo wrote:I came here about a mustache and get politics and religion! yow!
I agree. Let's get firmly back on the subject of the 'stache.
That's fine with me, but I want to point out that I was only responding to the original post that mentioned political party membership. I have responded to many political comments on this post, but have not ever started a political thread.

This certainly doesn't apply to you, Reb. Your political comment was a very minimal one. However, I find it very common on other forums, and occasionally this one (check out the Occupy Wall Street thread), that someone posts something about their political views and seemingly expect no one to ever comment or disagree. On another forum I frequent, someone went on a political rant and after several people commented with different views, the original poster asked to drop the topic saying it wasn't the appropriate place for it! I just don't think it's right to do something like that. It's basically saying "I get to use this medium for my views but it's not for your views." I think it's hypocritical. My "non-political" rant stemming from political commentary is now done. :)

Now, back to the 'stache! :D