Hi, I am visiting for the first time...

Comments, questions, suggestions, criticism... anything at all about the website. This is also the place for member introductions

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Visiting Stewardess
Fleet Admiral

#16 Post by Visiting Stewardess »

Yes, TV over here is great. Just been introduced to a few new things by my British friends, one is Sherlock, a Sherlock Holmes remake of the 21st century. I didn't think this would work, but it is fantastic! They use mobile phones and I was pleased to see that the Holmes character uses a Blackberry, while most others have an iPhone (probably for legal reasons rebranded as a mePhone for the show).

The other one is "Campus". This probably only works for people who have been to a British university, as the humour is very special. I can't see this one working as an export to other countries.

Still. I miss my good buddies Magnum, Starsky, Hutch and the MASH crew!

And: it's bloody freezing here!

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#17 Post by KENJI »

Hi V.S.,

I hope you visit Sandhurst, Eton College, U. of Cambridge and Robin's Keep while you are in the U.K.!!!

Have fun and bundle up!

Visiting Stewardess
Fleet Admiral

#18 Post by Visiting Stewardess »

As it happens, I have actually driven past Sandhurst on my way here, but as I am now in Liverpool (birthplace of the Beatles), all these other places are far, far away. Cambridge is at the other end of the country...

Seaver41
Fleet Admiral

#19 Post by Seaver41 »

Visiting Stewardess wrote:I am... And I will be staying, with a few excursions to the MASH-universe and the Starsky&Hutch-universe!

I am in the UK at the moment, five weeks, and I made a huuuuge mistake: I didn't take any Magnum, MASH or S&H DVDs with me. I am on cold turkey!!! I am really suffering! I have my trusty laptop, but I can't find any decent legal online versions. :cry:
you've peaked my curiosity. You say you never saw Magnum back in the day (maybe too young)...so how did you come to his world? See for myself, I am nostalgic and have interest in what I did see at a younger age. I was about 14 when Magnum started so it was a good time that I could understand and appreciate the basic message of the show. Part of that was the weekly anticipation for an episode. What brought you to Magnum?

Is tv now just that bad that people are diving into the past?

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#20 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Seaver41 wrote:Is tv now just that bad that people are diving into the past?
Yes. It is. I'm planning an in-depth run at the Honeymooners soon. :wink:
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

Seaver41
Fleet Admiral

#21 Post by Seaver41 »

Styles Bitchley wrote:
Seaver41 wrote:Is tv now just that bad that people are diving into the past?
Yes. It is. I'm planning an in-depth run at the Honeymooners soon. :wink:
yeah I guess it's always been there, but now with recorded shows on DVD.......access is greater. Your mentioning of the Honeymooners formed that thought........watched all the episodes as a kid in reruns in NY. Same with Odd Couple, Three Stooges, Abbott and Costello, I Love Lucy, Little Rascals, Star Trek, Brady Bunch, Gilligan's Island, Green Acres, The Munsters (I could go on) and any other show of the times in syndication. With only the 3 main networks at the time (ABC,NBC,CBS) and another 3-4 local channels.......syndication was 'cable' in the days before cable. I grew up with MASH being shown 2 times a day for MANY years, so I have seen every episode many times over.

Now with cable/satellite tv, I watch virtually nothing in syndication since there is fresh programs of some sort somewhere. Quality sucks, but it's a much bigger tv world now.

Visiting Stewardess
Fleet Admiral

Hi I'm back after the summer break....

#22 Post by Visiting Stewardess »

As I am an outdoor junkie, I try to spend as much of my time as possible outside while it's warm.
Now it's freezing out there again, and I am back in front of the TV...

Just ordered Season 3 and 4 from Amazon.
Very annoying if you don't buy them all at the same time, the box design changes. :(
I had bought season 3 before, but lent it to someone. And now I cannot remember who I lent it to. Even an announcement on Facebook that the borrower may please return it has not had the desired outcome. So I had to buy it again.