How old is the average Magnum Maniac?

Comments, questions, suggestions, criticism... anything at all about the website. This is also the place for member introductions

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

How old are you?

0-10
No votes
11-20
3%
21-30
12%
31-40
24%
41-50
41%
51-60
10%
61-70
8%
71-80
No votes
81-90
1%
91-100 (now this has got to be pushing it, right?)
No votes
100+ (if you're voting this option, kudos to you!)
No votes

Total votes: 145

Seaver41
Fleet Admiral

#16 Post by Seaver41 »

44....saw it all in first run. Still don't own the DVDs.....and have had a hard time findinfg them in any random store collection. Does any chain carry them on their shelves?

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#17 Post by Pahonu »

AmandaByNight wrote:
Pahonu wrote:
AmandaByNight wrote:I'm turning 40 this year. Yikes.

I watched it at the beginning. My parents were big fans. I really didn't come to love it as much as I do though until about 1/2 way into its original run when they started airing it everyday on a local channel.

When I was a kid, I loved cop shows like Streets of San Francisco and Harry-O. Magnum and Rockford were the lighter ones of course, but I watched 'em all!
Spooky Amanda, you stole my life story, and I mean every bit of what you wrote including your age. But did you sit on your dad's lap at age 7 or 8 and watch reruns of The Wild, Wild West with him? :)
lol. No I didn't. I didn't even see Wild, Wild West until I was an adult, which is funny because it was right up my parents' alley. I remember watching My Favorite Martian with my dad when I was little, even younger than 7. Around then I think we were watching Battlestar Galactica and Buck Rogers together...

The good old days...
I feel better now. :) No My Favorite Martian that I remember and only a little of the sci-fi stuff. But My parents loved Streets of San Francisco, Rockford Files, etc... I actually wrote a creative writing story in the fourth grade about Jim Rockford. :shock: I would love to see that now.

The good old days is right.

AmandaByNight
Fleet Admiral

#18 Post by AmandaByNight »

Pahonu wrote:
AmandaByNight wrote:
Pahonu wrote:

I watched it at the beginning. My parents were big fans. I really didn't come to love it as much as I do though until about 1/2 way into its original run when they started airing it everyday on a local channel.

When I was a kid, I loved cop shows like Streets of San Francisco and Harry-O. Magnum and Rockford were the lighter ones of course, but I watched 'em all!
Spooky Amanda, you stole my life story, and I mean every bit of what you wrote including your age. But did you sit on your dad's lap at age 7 or 8 and watch reruns of The Wild, Wild West with him? :)
lol. No I didn't. I didn't even see Wild, Wild West until I was an adult, which is funny because it was right up my parents' alley. I remember watching My Favorite Martian with my dad when I was little, even younger than 7. Around then I think we were watching Battlestar Galactica and Buck Rogers together...

The good old days...
I feel better now. :) No My Favorite Martian that I remember and only a little of the sci-fi stuff. But My parents loved Streets of San Francisco, Rockford Files, etc... I actually wrote a creative writing story in the fourth grade about Jim Rockford. :shock: I would love to see that now.

The Rockford Files was my mother's favorite show. I sort of discovered Harry-O on my own, but both parents were really into sci-fi. I only got into those old shows, I don't really watch or read much in the genre.

I would love to see your Rockford story I wrote a story for Magnum when I was in high school. It was based on Rick. I'm sure it's horrible, but it's one of the few fictional things I ever finished.

Pahonu

#19 Post by Pahonu »

AmandaByNight wrote:
Pahonu wrote:
AmandaByNight wrote:
Pahonu wrote:

The good old days...

The Rockford Files was my mother's favorite show. I sort of discovered Harry-O on my own, but both parents were really into sci-fi. I only got into those old shows, I don't really watch or read much in the genre.

I would love to see your Rockford story I wrote a story for Magnum when I was in high school. It was based on Rick. I'm sure it's horrible, but it's one of the few fictional things I ever finished.
This is too wierd. :shock: I was with you up to the parents liking sci-fi part. Strangely similar, and a fictional story based on one of these shows! What are the odds. I don't have my story, but I'm sure it blew, coming from a fourth grader. Do you still have yours? Besides, what nine-year old wrote about The Rockford Files. Funny!

AmandaByNight
Fleet Admiral

#20 Post by AmandaByNight »

Pahonu wrote:
AmandaByNight wrote:
Pahonu wrote:
AmandaByNight wrote:
Pahonu wrote: Spooky Amanda, you stole my life story, and I mean every bit of what you wrote including your age. But did you sit on your dad's lap at age 7 or 8 and watch reruns of The Wild, Wild West with him? :)

The good old days...

This is too wierd. :shock: I was with you up to the parents liking sci-fi part. Strangely similar, and a fictional story based on one of these shows! What are the odds. I don't have my story, but I'm sure it blew, coming from a fourth grader. Do you still have yours? Besides, what nine-year old wrote about The Rockford Files. Funny!
I'm pretty sure I still have my story somewhere... What I remember most was that I tried to throw in all my "Magnum-isms" like Old Dusseldorf and that "I know what you're thinking..." and all that stuff.

Let's face it, our parents were super-cool!

Jelly Doughnuts
Lieutenant Commander

#21 Post by Jelly Doughnuts »

Amanda, your story sounds awesome, I'd love to read it! Your good taste clearly started early on ;)

Dan, I should've mentioned my other half is 26 and also appreciates Magnum but it is a slight point of contention between us, as I think he feels I'm a little bit too much into magnum :lol:

And JJ, surely the tattoo phase is on the way out, in which case magnum is due for a serious revival... well let's hope so anyway!

Agatha, I don't really know anything about cable, does not having it mean you get no tv? I think the majority of ppl here in Aus only have free to air tv opposed to paytv which I think is like your cable? Thankfully Magnum is on one of the newer free to air tv channels, had it not been I may never have found it...

So looks like you 31-40 year olds win the poll. I remember reading that ppl who grew up in the eighties are the most likely to be a bit obsessed with tv shows from the eighties vs those who grew up in other decades, seems to fit.
"When I write my book on being a first class private investigator, Rule Number 168 is going to be: If you're getting chased, you should be in a fast car....
Postscript to Rule 168: No matter how fast your car is, there can always be one that's faster!"

Pahonu

#22 Post by Pahonu »

AmandaByNight wrote:
Pahonu wrote:
AmandaByNight wrote:
Pahonu wrote:
AmandaByNight wrote: lol. No I didn't. I didn't even see Wild, Wild West until I was an adult, which is funny because it was right up my parents' alley. I remember watching My Favorite Martian with my dad when I was little, even younger than 7. Around then I think we were watching Battlestar Galactica and Buck Rogers together...

The good old days...

I'm pretty sure I still have my story somewhere... What I remember most was that I tried to throw in all my "Magnum-isms" like Old Dusseldorf and that "I know what you're thinking..." and all that stuff.

Let's face it, our parents were super-cool!
Agreed! :lol:

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#23 Post by Styles Bitchley »

AmandaByNight wrote:Let's face it, our parents were super-cool!
I must confess a bit of envy. I was stuck with my mom's penchant for things like Barry Manilow and Dynasty!
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#24 Post by Steve »

At 56 years old I am old enough to remember watching Tom Selleck before he made it big in Magnum, PI. My first wife's older sister went to Grant High School with TS and would let us know when he was appearing in a commercial, TV show or movie. After the devils spawn (just kidding) and I divorced in 1980 I guess I was Sellecked out and didn't start watching Magnum until the summer reruns of the fifth season (Luther Gillis file #001) and I was hooked!!!!

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#25 Post by J.J. Walters »

Dan wrote:Alex O'Loughlin?
Nah, he's over 30. ;)
Jelly Doughnuts wrote:And JJ, surely the tattoo phase is on the way out, in which case magnum is due for a serious revival... well let's hope so anyway!
Somehow I seriously doubt that.

I don't have anything against tattoos per say. It just seems like everybody has at least one these days. When I go to the pool or the beach it seems like I'm the only tat-less person out there. "Psst. Hey, look at that guy. No tattoos. What a freak."
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#26 Post by Little Garwood »

I'll be 40 in August, so count me as another "original" MPI viewer.

I didn't begin watching the show until the start of the second season, when my best friend recommended it to me. It was easily my favorite childhood show, even though I stopped watching during the middle of the seventh season.

Magnum always signified the start of good things for me. It came on Thursdays at 8pm, the next day was friday, then the weekend, so I associate MPI with providing solace, comfort, and imagination during the hellaciousness that was school.
"Popularity is the pocket change of history."

~Tom Selleck

MagnumsLeftShoulder
Fleet Admiral

#27 Post by MagnumsLeftShoulder »

I'm 34. I remember seeing some of it in first run (the later seasons), but it was not something we watched regularly. I really got into Magnum about 10 or 11 years ago when it was on A&E. Then in November 2010, I was channel surfing and saw it on my local RTV station. The picture quality was lousy on RTV, but it reminded me how much I liked the show. So I decided to invest in the DVDs. I'm near the end of season 6 of the DVDs, and still loving it. There is nothing on current TV as entertaining as MPI!

Frodoleader
Fleet Admiral

#28 Post by Frodoleader »

I am a "young" 53 (don't look it or act like it!). Watched 90% of the MPI episodes in first run. I shared in another post how I became a fan: when my then fiance (now wife) told me about this really good new detective show, I was hooked after watching it the first time (but for the life of me I cannot recall which episode it was).
We still watch MPI episodes whenever nothing else worthwhile is on or when we simply we get the desire to watch MPI. I'll even watch an episode on RTV if nothing else is on.

Agatha - I also do not have cable or satellite TV. Cable is not available where I live and we chose not to spend the money for satelite TV.
"You are three months at Dak Wei and still you crack jokes?" - Ivan

PhatCat
Admiral

#29 Post by PhatCat »

34. My older brother (39) watched MPI in the later seasons so of course I did too. We taped the last episode on our NEW vcr. Amazing!

When the reruns started they were on right after we got home from school so that's where the addiction started.

About 8 years ago they did mid day reruns locally in the Twin Cities here and I started taping them everyday. I went of Marco's episode list and started checking them off as I watched them.

Of course now I have all 8 seasons on DVD (thanks kids- Father's Day) and love to be able to queue any episode up whenever.

Now I'm working on getting the next generation hooked. Long live Magnum!

wind4fuel
Lieutenant

#30 Post by wind4fuel »

56 I watch them when they came out on tv. I was just divorce and it fit the mood. My frig looked like his to 90% beer and one old pizza slice. Good times 8)