The Welcome Wagon

Comments, questions, suggestions, criticism... anything at all about the website. This is also the place for member introductions

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#31 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Welcome indeed!
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#32 Post by Doc Ibold »

Aloha!

zebra3
Fleet Admiral

#33 Post by zebra3 »

Okay I guess I'll make an intro post here, not that I usually do them.
I'm Pete, and I like Magnum, P.I.
I'm one of Magnum's younger fans, at 21. I discovered it on Hulu. I became a big fan of "Starsky and Hutch" after seeing an episode on there and buying all the DVDs. Well, I watched season one online, and decided it was one of the best shows I have ever seen. I look forward to every episode, and hope they are good the second time around. I like a lot of 80's shows and music, kind of like Shawn from "Psych" another great show. Knight rider,a little A team, Magnum pi, mork and mindy....

Styles Bitchley

#34 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Always nice to see the younger folk around here zebra. You have great taste in entertainment!

It's interesting what the internet and dvds have done for "television" entertainment. We no longer have to accept what the networks think we should be watching.
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

IKnowWhatYoureThinking
Macho Taco & Coops Connoisseur

#35 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

Welcome Pete!

zebra3
Fleet Admiral

#36 Post by zebra3 »

Styles Bitchley wrote:Always nice to see the younger folk around here zebra. You have great taste in entertainment!

It's interesting what the internet and dvds have done for "television" entertainment. We no longer have to accept what the networks think we should be watching.
Thanks guys!
You make a really good point styles. The problem is, most people aren't looking at it in the right time frame. Remember back 10 years ago or whenever the original Napster came out, and people were downloading the heck out of the internet. Songs, movies, whatever their 56k modem allowed. But then the offline world caught up the the web and people realized that everyone was getting free stuff and stopped it. Well, temporarily. They made it illegal to do. Well, internet video services is in it's infant stage, I believe. When internet video matured and pretty much everyone was able to get decent picture quality videos (not long ago at all) there were no ads. People watched stuff online for free. Now though, even youtube has ads. Hulu is getting more ads, and even has a pay to view service.
What I'm saying is, we're getting to a point where TV online will literally be that. 2 minutes of ads every 15 minutes, product placement popups, etc. Need more proof? Back in 1985, shows were 48 mins long, now they are about 40-42 mins long. More ads.

PS- I should have mentioned, one of my favorite shows is Firefly. Check it out. 14 episodes, but it's great, followed up by the major motion picture, Serenity.

Styles Bitchley

#37 Post by Styles Bitchley »

zebra3 wrote:Back in 1985, shows were 48 mins long, now they are about 40-42 mins long.
...and shows actually had theme songs back then. Themes these days are super-brief and some, like Lost, don't even have one! The race to see how much advertising an audience will tolerate before switching the channel. No wonder so many people are looking elsewhere for video entertainment.

Starting to feel like an old man now. Back when I was a boy things were so much better.... :lol:

- J.Q.H.

IKnowWhatYoureThinking
Macho Taco & Coops Connoisseur

#38 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

Styles Bitchley wrote:
zebra3 wrote:Back in 1985, shows were 48 mins long, now they are about 40-42 mins long.
...and shows actually had theme songs back then. Themes these days are super-brief and some, like Lost, don't even have one! The race to see how much advertising an audience will tolerate before switching the channel. No wonder so many people are looking elsewhere for video entertainment.

Starting to feel like an old man now. Back when I was a boy things were so much better.... :lol:
Thank god for Tivo! :D

firefly
Commander

#39 Post by firefly »

zebra3 wrote:
PS- I should have mentioned, one of my favorite shows is Firefly. Check it out. 14 episodes, but it's great, followed up by the major motion picture, Serenity.

Best Show Ever! well at least imo :)

i also highly recommend it to anyone, but moreso than any show i have ever seen, it needs to be watched with a sort of tunnel vision so that all of the subtleties are not missed.

zebra3
Fleet Admiral

#40 Post by zebra3 »

firefly wrote:
zebra3 wrote:

Best Show Ever! well at least imo :)

i also highly recommend it to anyone, but moreso than any show i have ever seen, it needs to be watched with a sort of tunnel vision so that all of the subtleties are not missed.
Very true. I advise watching it again, and take your time going through the episodes in order.
What's your favorite firefly episode?

firefly
Commander

#41 Post by firefly »

yeah, i have watched the episodes (as well as the movie) at least a half dozen times and i seems to pick up something new each time.

my favorite is "objects in space", i love how it takes the ideas of Jean-Paul Sartre in La Nausee and brings them into the firefly verse.

how about you?

zebra3
Fleet Admiral

#42 Post by zebra3 »

firefly wrote:yeah, i have watched the episodes (as well as the movie) at least a half dozen times and i seems to pick up something new each time.

my favorite is "objects in space", i love how it takes the ideas of Jean-Paul Sartre in La Nausee and brings them into the firefly verse.

how about you?
Yeah there is a lot of existentialism in "Objects in Space", and it's also a really good one to see late at night. Sort of one of those calm episodes that's perfect right before bed. Even though there is a hijacking and hostage-taking.
I'm pretty partial to "Shindig" because I like to see Mal in the situations where he is uncomfortable. However, it is pretty much "The Girls'" episode, as it was written/directed by a female and features Inara and Kaylee prominently.
I also like "Serenity"(Pilot) and Jaynestown.
Heck, I like them all.

Side note- did you notice that at one point in I think the pilot or the message Wash is not holding the yoke, he's just got his hands out like he is. It's funny. He's so good he can fly without touching the yoke

Side not 2- maybe we should start a side topic in the other tv shows area about this or move these messages there or something.

HyperCaz
Ensign

#43 Post by HyperCaz »

hello all :) :) I bought season 1 of this show last month because I'm into anything from the 80s and before I knew it... I'd bought the whole 8. :D I'm currently watching through the beginning of season 6.

Err... yeah I get obsessed with things really easily. :roll: I also think Rick is really cute. :oops:

EDIT: season 7 now ;)

EDIT: wow I've made it from S6 to S8 since I posted this, and no one has said hi yet :wink:

robspace54
Vice Admiral

#44 Post by robspace54 »

Well... HI! Hope that Magnum hasn't taken over your life too much. I've gotten almost done with season 4, and season 5 is waiting. But I try to hold my obsession to one or two stories a week. I try to savor the Magnum-ness.

I hope that you are enjoying your 1980s trip - no cell phones, no Facebook, not a single luxury - sorry - wrong show! :-)

Rob
Sometimes I get so lucky, even I don`t believe it.

Mavrick
Pinball Wizard

#45 Post by Mavrick »

From One child from the 80's to another Greetings and Welcome So just sit back under a palm tree and enjoy the Tradewinds that is Magnum Mania and try not to get a sunburn
Magnum, feed the lads, would you? There are steaks in the freezer. Yes you can have one too.