The Welcome Wagon

Comments, questions, suggestions, criticism... anything at all about the website. This is also the place for member introductions

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

Re: The Welcome Wagon

#361 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Speaking of podcasts, I don't know if anyone has listened to the Magnum Rewatch podcast. It's been on YouTube for a while now. Pretty interesting. They started from the beginning and proceeded to review every episode from season 1. They started season 2 but stopped at "Dead Man's Channel".

Check it out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFhzh4D ... oASXMGPLBK

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#362 Post by K Hale »

IvanTheTerrible wrote:Speaking of podcasts, I don't know if anyone has listened to the Magnum Rewatch podcast. It's been on YouTube for a while now. Pretty interesting. They started from the beginning and proceeded to review every episode from season 1. They started season 2 but stopped at "Dead Man's Channel".

I gave this a try on my way in to work this morning. Nearly shut it off when they couldn’t remember which war Higgins had fought in, but gave them a second chance. It’s not bad.
I didn't realize you were so addicted to pool.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

Fleet Admiral

#363 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

K Hale wrote:
IvanTheTerrible wrote:Speaking of podcasts, I don't know if anyone has listened to the Magnum Rewatch podcast. It's been on YouTube for a while now. Pretty interesting. They started from the beginning and proceeded to review every episode from season 1. They started season 2 but stopped at "Dead Man's Channel".

I gave this a try on my way in to work this morning. Nearly shut it off when they couldn’t remember which war Higgins had fought in, but gave them a second chance. It’s not bad.
No it really isn't. As a matter of fact I listened to all of them last year while working. :lol: It was a nice way to get my MPI fix. In fact I was bummed there were no more reviews past Dead Man's Channel. Overall they did a pretty good job of pointing out the positives in each episode, the things that really made the show work as a whole. But they also kept things light and humorous, sometimes taking potshots at various things which was cool. Though the girl tended to be a bit too PC with her constant keeping count of things she considered "racist" or "sexist" or whatever other "-ist". Well, she IS from Canada so... eh? :lol: But oh well, I guess that was part of the fun of these podcasts, via 2 people who were too young to have watched it during its original run. Still, it was interesting that their takeaway was that this was a pretty good show for its time and one that has definitely aged better than its contemporaries. They genuinely seemed to enjoy revisiting this 80s classic.

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#364 Post by K Hale »

They may point out things that would be considered racist today, but they laugh at them. They found it hilariously outrageous that Magnum would state an order for Chinese food while Higgins and Mei Ling were speaking Mandarin in "China Doll." It's a sign of the times in which the show was shot, we might as well face up to it. As they admitted, at least he gave his order to Higgins and not to Mei Ling!

However, they aren't so pure themselves. I listened to the first half of their podcast on "Curse of the King Kamehameha Club" on my way in to work today and they did a lot of mocking of Hawaiian traditional beliefs.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

Fleet Admiral

#365 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

K Hale wrote:They may point out things that would be considered racist today, but they laugh at them. They found it hilariously outrageous that Magnum would state an order for Chinese food while Higgins and Mei Ling were speaking Mandarin in "China Doll." It's a sign of the times in which the show was shot, we might as well face up to it. As they admitted, at least he gave his order to Higgins and not to Mei Ling!

However, they aren't so pure themselves. I listened to the first half of their podcast on "Curse of the King Kamehameha Club" on my way in to work today and they did a lot of mocking of Hawaiian traditional beliefs.
I guess I don't understand what the big deal is about Magnum ordering Chinese food with Mei Ling present? Or even joking with Mei Ling about ordering Chinese food. Is this supposed to be somehow offensive? I mean Chinese people eat Chinese food, right? I'm Ukrainian and I eat pierogies. I would never get offended if someone joked about ordering pierogies from me. Why should that be offensive?

I recall a user on the Knight Rider board on IMDB getting bent out of shape because Michael Knight called a pair of Chinese thugs the "eggroll brothers". :roll: I just think it's a sign of how out of touch some people are today. Looking to get offended by things that aren't offensive. Whatever happened to just relaxing and taking it easy? It's just a TV show! I tell ya, it's the sissy generation.

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#366 Post by K Hale »

I sense you are not really interested in having this explained to you. It’s not worth it to me to go to the effort and then be insulted. Won’t change anything anyway.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

Hpl1701
Ensign

#367 Post by Hpl1701 »

Hi guys. Name's Ron. I have visited this website numerous times over the past year when I was watching Magnum, PI. I bought the seasons long ago. My wife used to tease me until I heard her say to wait for her to watch other episode. She has been binge watching Blue Bloods on Netflix. Anyway, Magnum is a great show. Sometimes watching I had wished they hadn't gone here or there depending upon what the situation and sometimes the character-centric episodes were a little annoying and I probably wouldn't have ended it the way it ended. But overall it was a great show. Definitely one of my favorites.

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#368 Post by 308GUY »

Guess I'll be the first to say "welcome" and "hi guy".

Stick around...some great folks here....sometimes some of us "grumble"...but it all comes out in the wash... :magnum:

Welcome aboard! :lol:
"C'mon TC...nothing can go wrong!"

Fleet Admiral

#369 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

K Hale wrote:I sense you are not really interested in having this explained to you. It’s not worth it to me to go to the effort and then be insulted. Won’t change anything anyway.
K Hale, I wasn't insulting you. Sorry if you interpreted it that way. When I say "sissy generation" I mean today's PC crowd. I wasn't referring to you.

I may have to rewatch "China Doll" because I don't recall that particular exchange about Chinese takeout but my impression was that somehow it was insulting to joke about Chinese takeout in the presence of Mei Ling which of course to me makes no sense why that should be insulting. Like I said, if someone said in my presence "I'll have some pierogies to go" I wouldn't be insulted in the least. I would think it's funny! :lol:

KingKC
Fleet Admiral

#370 Post by KingKC »

Hpl1701 wrote:Hi guys. Name's Ron. I have visited this website numerous times over the past year when I was watching Magnum, PI. I bought the seasons long ago. My wife used to tease me until I heard her say to wait for her to watch other episode. She has been binge watching Blue Bloods on Netflix. Anyway, Magnum is a great show. Sometimes watching I had wished they hadn't gone here or there depending upon what the situation and sometimes the character-centric episodes were a little annoying and I probably wouldn't have ended it the way it ended. But overall it was a great show. Definitely one of my favorites.
I can agree that some of the character-centric episodes got on my nerves (especially the Don Luis Higgins and Father Paddy episodes) but I am curious as to how you would have ended the series????

Chris109
Fleet Admiral

#371 Post by Chris109 »

IvanTheTerrible wrote: Like I said, if someone said in my presence "I'll have some pierogies to go" I wouldn't be insulted in the least. I would think it's funny! :lol:
My Polish grandmother used to make pierogies that everyone in my family today says was not too delectable. She would use sauerkraut fermented with a little vinegar, peas or mushrooms, cheese, and/or potatoes, and something else that I do not recall cause it's been several decades. Family didn't like them, but that just left more for me. :D

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#372 Post by K Hale »

Turns out they went all the way to "The Sixth Position" if you go directly to their website. https://loadingreadyrun.com/lrrcasts/ar ... ate/desc/_
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

Fleet Admiral

#373 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

K Hale wrote:

Turns out they went all the way to "The Sixth Position" if you go directly to their website. https://loadingreadyrun.com/lrrcasts/ar ... ate/desc/_
Oh wow, cool! Thanks, nice find! I'll check the rest of them out as time permits.

Sportquattro84
Ensign

#374 Post by Sportquattro84 »

Hi everyone! I'm Dave from Germany and been browsing magnum mania for a couple of years now...hope this is the right place for me as an 80s/magnum fan. :)
Greets from Germany, Dave

terryfromkerry
Fleet Admiral

#375 Post by terryfromkerry »

Hi Dave,

Welcome aboard. Your first post, now you are officially a maniac. Enjoy ! :D
"Oh Jonathan !....oh Jonathan, come quickly ...... your hot cross buns are smoking".