The Welcome Wagon

Comments, questions, suggestions, criticism... anything at all about the website. This is also the place for member introductions

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

Re: The Welcome Wagon

#226 Post by Doc Ibold »

Welcome, Tony!

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#227 Post by 308GUY »

This is probably as close as I'll ever get!

This is a 79'factory blue 308GTS that is being stored in my partners warehouse for the winter.

I do have under construction, a fiberglass replica of a 308, but it's a looooong way from being ready to drive.

I know a man in Salou that is (or used to be) an Elvis impersonator, and a very talented fabricator in steel, or just about any medium for that matter. Nick is his name. Barcelona any where near Salou?

Sorry about the picture size, didn't resize it before posting. Hope it shows up ok.

Yea, that's me sittin' in it. I went up to the warehouse one day, and took a bunch of pictures and some measurements to help with building my replica. I'm going to paint it red when it's done! :magnum:

"C'mon TC...nothing can go wrong!"

Tony308
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#228 Post by Tony308 »

308GUY wrote:This is probably as close as I'll ever get!

This is a 79'factory blue 308GTS that is being stored in my partners warehouse for the winter.

I do have under construction, a fiberglass replica of a 308, but it's a looooong way from being ready to drive.

I know a man in Salou that is (or used to be) an Elvis impersonator, and a very talented fabricator in steel, or just about any medium for that matter. Nick is his name. Barcelona any where near Salou?

Sorry about the picture size, didn't resize it before posting. Hope it shows up ok.

Yea, that's me sittin' in it. I went up to the warehouse one day, and took a bunch of pictures and some measurements to help with building my replica. I'm going to paint it red when it's done! :magnum:

Great project!!! Lots of works to do...

Yes, Salou is one hour far from Barcelona. Very close.

If you want any help about 308 detail shots, I've tons of them on my HD!!!

Cheers and Merry Christmas!

Tony308
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#229 Post by Tony308 »

Doc Ibold wrote:Welcome, Tony!
Many thanks Steve!!! Great site!

Merry Christmas

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#230 Post by 308GUY »

Thanks Tony.

I've got quite a few pics myself, but if I come up with something I need that I don't have, I'll let you know.

I plan another trip to see the blue one I posted a pic of, going to get close up detail pics of the headlight mechanisms, among other items.

Not sure if Nick is still in Salou, pretty sure he is, he was renovating a house there. He frequents a local forum around Salou and goes by Sage on that forum. He can make anything out of steel! You should see some of his wrought iron work, gates and such, remarkable. Very fine musician too. Not sure if he's still doing his Elvis routine, but he did that for many years around the area. He is originally from England, and an all around good guy.

Look forward to your future posts. :magnum:

eltonsean
Captain

#231 Post by eltonsean »

Hi guys, i'm eltonsean and I’m new here. I’ve actually been following this site for years but just never bothered contributing to the forum.

“Magnum, P.I.” is by far my most favorite television show of all time. I grew up watching the original run in the 80’s and continued to watched reruns when they aired it on A&E and i’ve since purchased all 8 seasons on DVD.

I’ve been fortunate enough from working as a musician on cruise ships to be able to visit Hawaii many times over the past several years. I’ve also made friends there who let me stay for free (jackpot). So I’ve of course visited Robin’s Nest on many occasions and even lost a contact lens in the tidal pool :P

Anyways, I’m a Canadian living in Vancouver and I look forward to continue reading the forum and maybe throwing in my 2 cents every once in a while. Thanks J.J. Walters for creating this amazing place for “Magnum, P.I.” fans!! 8)

Magnum super fan,
eltonsean
"Living well is the best revenge".

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#232 Post by 308GUY »

Welcome eltonsean!

Sound like you lead an interesting/exciting life.

Makes me kinda wish I had taken the offer I had about 25 years ago to do the same thing, except it was on a cruise ship going across the Atlantic between NY and the UK, never would have gotten to HI on that one! :lol:

At any rate, I am always glad to see new folks sign up, and you are in good company, which I'm sure you know since you've been checking in for quite a while.

I'm sure I'm not the only one that would enjoy hearing about and seeing pictures from, your travels, especially on/around Oahu!

Do you specialize on one particular instrument, or are you one of those guys that can play just about anything? Are you still touring?

Again, welcome to you from another fairly recent newcomer. :magnum:

eltonsean
Captain

#233 Post by eltonsean »

thanks for the welcome, 308GUY.

I play piano and sing. i did ships for about 7-8 years but now i'm living in vancouver trying to make a living on land. its much more difficult because the competition is fierce. So i'm practicing lots and hopefully i'll get some gigs so i can eat :P

i do have tons of pics from oahu but i don't have an online account for posting them. can i post from icloud?

eltonsean

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#234 Post by 308GUY »

Here is a suggestion from another thread, I believe posted by JJ to help somebody else with posting pictures. http://marist89.blogspot.com/2007/11/po ... forum.html Not used it myself, so can't tell you much more than that.

I've used http://photobucket.com/ to post pictures here. Then followed the instructions in FAQ section of the forum on adding attachments to your posts.

Don't know about icould, so also can't really help you with that. There are many other folks here who are much more computer savvy than me, that can probably be of more help to you. Sooner or later someone will be along to point you in the right direction.

Are you now in a group, or are you booking yourself as a solo act?

eltonsean
Captain

#235 Post by eltonsean »

thanks for the info 308guy. I might have to start a flickr account.

I was doing mostly trio work on the ships and now I'm trying to do solo work here in vancouver. there's restaurants and hotels that hire solo pianists so I'm trying for those gigs. Not as much work here for trios because they cost more money i suppose. But solo piano is different from trio piano so this is why i'm practicing these days and not working yet.

eltonsean
Captain

#236 Post by eltonsean »

on the beach at Robin's Nest 8)

eltonsean

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#237 Post by ConchRepublican »

Welcome eltonsean!

Have you worked the MPI theme into you show? :wink:
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#238 Post by 308GUY »

Glad you got the pictures thing figured out.

Here's another thread discussing the same thing: http://magnum-mania.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=829 Ironically, it's right under this welcome wagon thread at present!

Yep, a solo act is sometimes hard to book.

One of the guys that I used to be in a group with, (in fact the guy that offered the cruise ship gig :) ), used to book himself as the same act you are doing, solo piano and vocal. I don't have to tell you it's as much or more about presenting yourself as a "personality/entertainer" as it is about being a gifted musician or singer.

Anyway, he got onto the Holiday Inn circuit and pretty much toured the entire country with them. He would play a week or so, sometimes an entire month in one city, then book into the next Holiday Inn in another town. They always provided him a room and meals as part of his contract package, but he made decent money too. At one point, he even hooked up with the remnants of the group The Association from waaaay back in the 60's-70's (you know "Cherish"..."Never My Love".."Wendy" look it up on an "oldies" site :lol: ) and toured with them for a while in the same venue (Holiday Inn's) Do you have a specific genre that you cater to, or do you do a little of everything? Got a good fake book? :lol:

Looking forward to more of your pics from the islands, and I'd bet you have some great stories from being on some of the cruise's too!

Hope to see more from you, stick around and enjoy yourself.

eltonsean
Captain

#239 Post by eltonsean »

ConchRepublican wrote:Welcome eltonsean!

Have you worked the MPI theme into you show? :wink:
haha, i sure did :)

eltonsean
Captain

#240 Post by eltonsean »

308GUY wrote:Glad you got the pictures thing figured out.

Do you have a specific genre that you cater to, or do you do a little of everything? Got a good fake book? :lol:
yes, 308guy i have a bunk of fake books. i do a bit of everything, but ive been focusing on instrumental jazz lately to prepare for the lounges.

i still can't figure the pics out yet. that one pic was a fluke...

but ya, i love this forum, so i'll be around :)