The Welcome Wagon

Comments, questions, suggestions, criticism... anything at all about the website. This is also the place for member introductions

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

KingKC
Fleet Admiral

Re: The Welcome Wagon

#376 Post by KingKC »

Welcome to the club, Dave.

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#377 Post by 308GUY »

Sportquattro84 wrote:Hi everyone! I'm Dave from Germany and been browsing magnum mania for a couple of years now...hope this is the right place for me as an 80s/magnum fan. :)
Welcome Dave.

Yep...you're in the right place allright. :magnum:
"C'mon TC...nothing can go wrong!"

Sportquattro84
Ensign

#378 Post by Sportquattro84 »

Thanks for the warm welcome guys! :D
Greets from Germany, Dave

Lord Ickenham
Lieutenant Commander

#379 Post by Lord Ickenham »

Hi everybody!
I am from Hungary, Budapest (but I don't have birds). The Magnum p. i. series arrived here at the second half of th 90's, when I went to high school. Now, I am 40. One of the tv-channel started the show already, and I became a fan like I was at my teenage years. Magnum p. i. is somehow therapical for me. It helps to escape from the real world to the "paradise".
I beg your pardon, because my English isn't perfect.

terryfromkerry
Fleet Admiral

#380 Post by terryfromkerry »

A member of the Hungarian nobility. Welcome Lord Ickenham.
This is the way most of us feel about Magnum, PI. Enjoy !
:magnum: :higgins:
"Oh Jonathan !....oh Jonathan, come quickly ...... your hot cross buns are smoking".

KingKC
Fleet Admiral

#381 Post by KingKC »

Lord Ickenham wrote:Hi everybody!
I am from Hungary, Budapest (but I don't have birds). The Magnum p. i. series arrived here at the second half of th 90's, when I went to high school. Now, I am 40. One of the tv-channel started the show already, and I became a fan like I was at my teenage years. Magnum p. i. is somehow therapical for me. It helps to escape from the real world to the "paradise".
I beg your pardon, because my English isn't perfect.
Welcome Lord Ickenham. Don't worry about your English. English is my first language and most of the time it is nowhere near perfect. And on many occasions my typing could use some improvement.

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#382 Post by 308GUY »

A hearty welcome to you sir! :magnum:

English is also my first (and only :lol: ) language, and mine is far from perfect....main thing is...can you get your point across and be understood....you seem to have no problem there.

Know anybody named George Fejer in Budapest? Sort of a long story, but just thought I'd ask....will explain if desired.

Welcome and the fascination with the show, the people and paradise...never ends for some of us! :magnum: I've lost track of how many times I've watched the entire series.

Much to see here...hope you have a lot of computer time! :geek:
Last edited by 308GUY on Sun Jun 09, 2019 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lord Ickenham
Lieutenant Commander

#383 Post by Lord Ickenham »

You are very kind!
I didn't know this forum earlier, but as far as I see, this is a great community.
I don't know any George Fejer here, but there was a theologian at the 18th century with the same name. But Fejer (Fejér) isn't too rare name.
About my nickname:
Maybe you know, Lord Ickenham is a character of some P. G. Wodehouse stories. My real last name is Attila, and I don't have any aristocratic ancestors. But as Higgins said: almost everybody has...

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#384 Post by K Hale »

Lord Ickenham wrote:You are very kind!
I didn't know this forum earlier, but as far as I see, this is a great community.
I don't know any George Fejer here, but there was a theologian at the 18th century with the same name. But Fejer (Fejér) isn't too rare name.
About my nickname:
Maybe you know, Lord Ickenham is a character of some P. G. Wodehouse stories. My real last name is Attila, and I don't have any aristocratic ancestors. But as Higgins said: almost everybody has...
...if you go back far enough! Haha!
I didn't realize you were so addicted to pool.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

Hpl1701
Ensign

#385 Post by Hpl1701 »

KingKC wrote:
Hpl1701 wrote:Hi guys. Name's Ron. I have visited this website numerous times over the past year when I was watching Magnum, PI. I bought the seasons long ago. My wife used to tease me until I heard her say to wait for her to watch other episode. She has been binge watching Blue Bloods on Netflix. Anyway, Magnum is a great show. Sometimes watching I had wished they hadn't gone here or there depending upon what the situation and sometimes the character-centric episodes were a little annoying and I probably wouldn't have ended it the way it ended. But overall it was a great show. Definitely one of my favorites.
I can agree that some of the character-centric episodes got on my nerves (especially the Don Luis Higgins and Father Paddy episodes) but I am curious as to how you would have ended the series????

I probably would have ended it with Magnum getting together with Dana Delaney's character. Maybe adopting the daughter if custody was an issue.

Old Düsseldorf
Lieutenant

#386 Post by Old Düsseldorf »

Hi All, I've found all sorts of good info here over the last few weeks but I wish I had thought to look up this site a long time ago! I watched Magnum as a youngster when it originally aired, then again on reruns until whenever they went off the air here in the states, but I remember many details well.

I would love to re-watch the show now and I looked into the DVD's when they were first released but seeing that few new extras like cast interviews or episode commentaries were included I didn't prioritize spending that money. I'm currently researching threads here about downloads and the UK Blu rays. Sounds like Blue Rays are a mixed bag in terms of picture quality, while still being quite expensive... So I might hedge again and hope the situation improves going forward, including any good downloads. I'm definitely open to suggestions.

For me the show was compelling because of the great characters and their loyalty to each other even if the relationships were rocky at times. And the fact that it was filmed on location at places you can visit was another element of realism you could connect with. With that location being Hawaii, watching the show feels like a friendly escape. Also, even though my parents were not big on TV, it was the one show that we could all find something to enjoy together, this was also the case with my friends families. In the early 90's my parents went to Oahu and made it a mission to find Robbin's nest and they still have the pictures of that visit. Someday I want to get there as well, but it does feel like a gut punch the estate was razed. Again I think because it was a real place you can visit adds an emotional dimension many other shows of that era lacked.

Anyhow, long post but I'm grateful this site exists as a way to connect with the show and other fans!

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#387 Post by K Hale »

Welcome! Is there any way you can scan and post the photos of your parents’ visit?? We would love to see them!
I didn't realize you were so addicted to pool.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

Old Düsseldorf
Lieutenant

#388 Post by Old Düsseldorf »

K Hale wrote:Welcome! Is there any way you can scan and post the photos of your parents’ visit?? We would love to see them!
I'm trying to get my hands on them. I haven't seen them in a while so if they are worthy I'll try to post...

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#389 Post by 308GUY »

Welcome O.D.

Great hearing that your family and friends all enjoyed MPI when it was active on air.

We all felt the same way about the destruction of the estate...but the tidal pool is still there...such an iconic place to visit. You see folks on IG posting pics of it on a fairly regular basis, and ALWAYS somebody asks.."What beach is that?" and comments what a perfect spot it looks like. One of these days..... :lol:

As of now, the beach house and the gate house are still standing....but as has been proven many times...nobody knows what the future holds.

Count me among those who'd love to see your parents pics, when/if you are able to post them. :geek:

Again...welcome. 8)

Old Düsseldorf
Lieutenant

#390 Post by Old Düsseldorf »

308GUY wrote:Welcome O.D.

Great hearing that your family and friends all enjoyed MPI when it was active on air.

We all felt the same way about the destruction of the estate...but the tidal pool is still there...such an iconic place to visit. You see folks on IG posting pics of it on a fairly regular basis, and ALWAYS somebody asks.."What beach is that?" and comments what a perfect spot it looks like. One of these days..... :lol:

As of now, the beach house and the gate house are still standing....but as has been proven many times...nobody knows what the future holds.

Count me among those who'd love to see your parents pics, when/if you are able to post them. :geek:

Again...welcome. 8)
Thanks for the welcome! This seems like a great community, wish I thought to look it up a long time ago.

I might have a chance to get to Oahu sometime in the next year or two but as you say who knows what will be at that time... As for my parents pics, it may be a few weeks before I can access them. Like mentioned it has been a long time since I saw them, mostly I recall all of us being excited they were able to find the place and enjoy the experience. But if the pictures turn out to be interesting I'll post them.