Screenshot question?

Comments, questions, suggestions, criticism... anything at all about the website. This is also the place for member introductions

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

GMT Master
Lieutenant Commander

Screenshot question?

#1 Post by GMT Master »

Could someone tell me how you get these great screenshots of MPI? I am using a HP laptop with Vista Home Premium. I figure I must need some sort of software to do it. I've tried the print screen button and the paint options but it doesn't work. I'd really like the end scene from Did You See The Sunrise with the flame coming out of the 1911 when he shoots Ivan. I found a shot of this but it has the credits on the picture. I'd like it without the credits. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
GMT Master

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#2 Post by Styles Bitchley »

It's easy on a mac, but I think you need 3rd party software on a pc. I've used the program Snagit before with good results. I think you have to pay for it, but there's a trial version, I believe. Others might have more useful advice.
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

GMT Master
Lieutenant Commander

#3 Post by GMT Master »

Thanks. I'll look into it.
GMT Master

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#4 Post by J.J. Walters »

GMT Master, if you have Vista you can use a tool that comes with it called 'Snipping Tool'.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/131791-3 ... tools.html

Or you could download and use a great, free, open-source media player called VLC. With this media player you can simply pause the video and take a screenshot. The screenshot is saved as an image file.

Once you have the image file you need to upload it to a host (I recommend 'Image Chicken'). Once it's on a publicly accessible host, you can reference it here in the forums by surrounding the image URL with the IMG tag .

Hope this helps...
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

GMT Master
Lieutenant Commander

#5 Post by GMT Master »

Mr. Walters, you sir are THE MAN. I didn't even know I had the snipping tool. It worked perfectly. I now have the famous ending to Did you see the Sunrise as my desktop background. Thank you again.
GMT Master

N1095A
World Class Private Investigator

#6 Post by N1095A »

James, You indeed are "The Man". All this time I've been using PRT SCRN and Paint to capture screen grabs, the snipping tool is so much faster and easier. Thanks for the info. Had Vista for 2 years and didn't know that was on there.
"But Higgins, I can explain."

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#7 Post by Styles Bitchley »

VLC is awesome. I didn't even know it had a screen capture tool built in.

Very useful. Thanks James.
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

Higgy_baby
Rear Admiral

#8 Post by Higgy_baby »

I've been using screenprints pasted into bmp images for all my images posted on this site with no problem and I have Vista. GMT Master, make sure you open the new bitmap in edit mode to do the paste.

However I tried snipping just now and it's a lot faster. Thanks James.
Of course this changes nothing between us. I still expect you to respect the rules and regulations pertaining to your stay on the estate. There will be no wild parties, no outragous liberties, no unauthorized overnight guests...

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#9 Post by J.J. Walters »

No problem guys, anytime. Glad I could help!
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!