Link on main page to forum

Comments, questions, suggestions, criticism... anything at all about the website. This is also the place for member introductions

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Buck
Captain

Link on main page to forum

#1 Post by Buck »

It took me a couple tries to find the link to the forum. It is not at the top with all the other links, but on the side. Some people may not look at the side and not realize there is a forum here. You may be missing good conversation because people couldn't find the back door in since there is no front door. :)

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#2 Post by J.J. Walters »

Hi Buck,

Long ago, I actually had the Forum link on the top navigation bar, that is until I discovered that the horizontal navigation bar was "broken" when viewed on 800x600 resolution settings! I tried to fix it, but I couldn't find an easy solution, so I just moved it to the left column instead.

I could probably fix it with some more troubleshooting, but I just don't have the time or energy to do it. This is a one-man, part-time show. You have to pick your battles wisely, and this isn't one that I've chosen to fight in. ;)
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Buck
Captain

#3 Post by Buck »

James J. Walters wrote:Hi Buck,

Long ago, I actually had the Forum link on the top navigation bar, that is until I discovered that the horizontal navigation bar was "broken" when viewed on 800x600 resolution settings! I tried to fix it, but I couldn't find an easy solution, so I just moved it to the left column instead.

I could probably fix it with some more troubleshooting, but I just don't have the time or energy to do it. This is a one-man, part-time show. You have to pick your battles wisely, and this isn't one that I've chosen to fight in. ;)
That makes sense. Only reason I brought it up is because I found your main website a while ago and never even knew the forum was here! I wonder how many people have passed by and didn't see the way in.

I just loaded the main website in a different browser and the links on the left are at the top of the page where they are easy to see. For some reason in IE, the links on the left appear at the bottom of the page where they are more hidden and require scrolling down to see those links. Maybe I should ditch IE.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#4 Post by J.J. Walters »

What do you mean "appear on the bottom of the page"? What version of IE are you running? What is your resolution setting?

Buck
Captain

#5 Post by Buck »

James J. Walters wrote:What do you mean "appear on the bottom of the page"? What version of IE are you running? What is your resolution setting?
IE 5. It is an older version. I disable javascript on IE. My resolution is 1024 by 768.

Your main page works good in Firefox.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#6 Post by J.J. Walters »

Wow, IE 5, that's going back a ways! The oldest version of IE that I tested on was IE 6, which didn't have any problems. IE 5.x accounts for roughly .5 % of the hits on the website, so I didn't make an effort to test on it.

It makes sense that you would have these issues with IE5. IE5 has problems with Cascading Style Sheets (CSS) and does weird things with padding, borders, and margins - the infamous "box model bug".

Seriously man, upgrade your version of IE! I highly recommend IE8.

gmt16750
Captain

#7 Post by gmt16750 »

Sorry Guys but a magnum maniac should use a Mac:
1- because it was one of its first appearance on TV in one of the episode, when they were yet a marginal company
2- well, when you know how much T.Magnum is attached to his friend Mac, you can't use Windows :lol:
(i must though admit that i switched for neither those reasons, Windows simply takes all the fun out of it :wink:
Agatha: Why does he always do that, Jonathan?
Higgins: I don't know, Agatha. I think sometimes our creator is testing me. Indeed it could be for no other reason. If i thought otherwise i believe i truly would go irrevocably irretrievably mad!