Hawaii Five-O: Any Fans?

1948-present

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

Re: Hawaii Five-O: Any Fans?

#241 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

Frodoleader wrote:Question for those of you who actually have been to Hawai'i: From watching the original H5O, it seems to me that Honolulu looks pretty seedy. Rundown like a Midwest Rust Belt city. Was Honolulu like that back in the day? Is it still that way today?

BTW, in regards to MeTV taking H5O off their schedule - isn't that just for the summer? I know MeTV does special promotions during the summer months. Hope it comes back.
Frodoleader,
Let me say first off I have never been there. But my buddy Dave(a seasoned world traveler) recently spent 3 weeks on the various Hawaiian islands for his company. He really looked forward to it after seeing the islands only in Magnum, Hawaii 5-0 etc.
He was taken aback at the number of homeless and beggars in Honolulu. Twice at Burger King at lunchtime raggedly looking people came in and rooted thru the garbage containers inside, where people had just emptied their lunch trays.
The traffic congestion was terrible, the prices for everything much higher than the mainland as everything is imported, aggressive hookers and drug dealers approaching even family units plus dense hordes of tourists pushing and jostling at points of interest ruined the ambiance.
He was perplexed at how the City Fathers could so mismanage(the non beach areas) of what should be one of the great tourist magnets in the world.
He did find the the experience of the Arizona Memorial quite moving. And he liked and felt welcomed by the locals.
In fact he quite enjoyed all the other islands with all they had to offer. Honolulu, not so much.
Since Hawaii and the Arizona Memorial are on my Bucket List, I am hoping Dave just had a streak of bad luck in Honolulu and it isn't a shabby Hawaiian version of Newark. In the past when I asked on these Boards about visiting Hawaii it was almost all positive.

Sic Frat Crustulum - "That's how the cookie crumbles"...Mrs. Peel's family motto on The Avengers

Frodoleader
Fleet Admiral

#242 Post by Frodoleader »

Thanks Dobie.
My firm has a couple of ongoing projects in Hawai'i right now. On both Oahu and Maui. I was actually part of the team going to Oahu. I was really excited about going on someone else's dime. I had all my free time planned out: beaches, mountains and doing a tour based on MPI shooting locales from this Board (Who did that guide again? I can't recall.). But alas, after a few weeks waiting for the go ahead, I was informed that due to "budgetary reasons", I was dropped from the group traveling to the islands. Oh well. Still a little bitter...
"You are three months at Dak Wei and still you crack jokes?" - Ivan

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#243 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

Frodoleader wrote:Thanks Dobie.
My firm has a couple of ongoing projects in Hawai'i right now. On both Oahu and Maui. I was actually part of the team going to Oahu. I was really excited about going on someone else's dime. I had all my free time planned out: beaches, mountains and doing a tour based on MPI shooting locales from this Board (Who did that guide again? I can't recall.). But alas, after a few weeks waiting for the go ahead, I was informed that due to "budgetary reasons", I was dropped from the group traveling to the islands. Oh well. Still a little bitter...
Frodoleader,
Sorry you missed out on a Hawaiian trip. I just mentioned your post to my buddy on the phone, he said not only his company but many others have already
done all sorts of planning such as site acquisition for when Cuba gets a new government. The profit projections for when that happens are off the chart.
Cuba being taken over by Castro is what made Hawaii, with all the millions of American tourists on the eastern seaboard who once were able to get their islands/fishing/beaches fix in 'nearby' Cuba, choosing to then visit the new but much farther away US state of Hawaii.
So maybe down the line you will get the Cuba gig when the Rush occurs and you will be posting here from the legendary Floridita Bar in Havana
(that was Hemingway's hangout) , a Cuban babe giving you the eye from across the bar. So who needs Hawaii.

"That's the worst plan since Hitler's Dad said to Hitler's Mom,
'Let's go upstairs, Hilda, I'm feeling a bit saucy tonight' "
...Black Adder

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#244 Post by J.J. Walters »

Frodoleader wrote:Question for those of you who actually have been to Hawai'i: From watching the original H5O, it seems to me that Honolulu looks pretty seedy. Rundown like a Midwest Rust Belt city. Was Honolulu like that back in the day? Is it still that way today?
Yes! Although I don't know if it is that way TODAY, but based on the comments, and things I've read, I'd chime in with YES!

I was there in the spring of '87 as soon-to-be graduated high schooler. My Dad let me rent a scooter for the day (we were staying in Waikiki, of course). I'll just say this, I wound up in some pretty dicey neighborhoods by happenstance! Parts of Chinatown and Kalihi were particularly bad. No joke, I somehow wound up on Hotel Street (thank god it wasn't at night!). I made it back ok, but man... what an eye-opening experience! It ain't all "paradise" over there, that's for sure!

So, what HFO showed was the real deal. Huge swaths of it are gritty and hard. It's not an Elvis Presley movie, that's for sure. ;)

Having said that, I had an awesome time there! Loved everything about the island! :)

Mystery Science Theater 3000 had a great episode that featured "Code Name: Diamond Head", a 1977 pilot movie that featured Roy Thinnes and our old friend Ian McShane (2 Magnum episodes). One of the constant riffs of the episode was how depressed most of the scenes took place in (i.e. Chinatown). They kept making jokes about how it seemed so "un-paradise-like". Like, "Are we in Hawaii, or Detroit?" LOL! It's so true. If you watch the original HFO episodes, most of it is not "paradise".
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Rembrandt's Girl
Fleet Admiral

#245 Post by Rembrandt's Girl »

Hi Frodoleader!

To answer your first question, I don't know what Honolulu was like 40-50 years ago during the H50 days but I think we have to keep in mind that it was a television show about a make-believe elite police force so it stands to reason that we would see quite a bit of the criminal element and the seedier parts of Honolulu.

Your second question is if it's still the same today? Again, that's a difficult comparison to make because we're comparing an old crime drama television show to a modern-day city. What I can tell you about Honolulu today though is that I'm sure some parts would appear less seedy to a visitor today because decades have passed and some modernization has taken place, but then again some parts worse with age. But, Honolulu is definitely a big city, and like any big city in the U.S. it does have its seedy parts including crime, homeless people, litter, panhandlers, traffic, drugs, people with questionable intentions, etc.

However Waikiki, which of course is a small part of Honolulu, is a tourist mecca... beautiful and safe, and they keep it that way for a rea$on. Of course it's extremely touristy with nice hotels, an overabundance of shopping (much of which is very high-end), fantastic five-star restaurants, and I repeat... lots of tourists. Waikiki Beach is just gorgeous but jam-packed... did I mention tourists?

For fun drop the Google street view mermaid on Kalakaua Avenue to see what it's like... https://www.google.com/maps/@21.2785694 ... 312!8i6656

Frodoleader
Fleet Admiral

#246 Post by Frodoleader »

Dobie, JJ & RG,
Thanks for the comments folks. Maybe one I'll get there.
:D
"You are three months at Dak Wei and still you crack jokes?" - Ivan

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#247 Post by Little Garwood »

Frodoleader wrote:BTW, in regards to MeTV taking H5O off their schedule - isn't that just for the summer? I know MeTV does special promotions during the summer months. Hope it comes back.
I don't have cable and also don't even watch TV using the present-day equivalent of "Rabbit Ears", so I depend on DVDs. Thankfully, Hawaii Five-O DVDs are going pretty cheap--I've seen seasons on Amazon for as low as $11.99--new. I do believe there's a boxed set of the entire series which can be had for about $125.00. That's a great deal for 12 seasons.

P.S. I do hope you're referring to the original series, and not the unfortunate reboot. :oops:
"Popularity is the pocket change of history."

~Tom Selleck

MaiTaiMan
Fleet Admiral

#248 Post by MaiTaiMan »

I love Hawaii Five-0, as well as the new reboot! But there’s something about the Jack Lord original that just captivates you! I’ve currently been going thru the original 5-0 again since late April/early May. I’m now in the 12th and final season. I’ll be sad when I’m done...again, lol! Next summer I plan to go through the new reboot. One of these days I need to go through Magnum again—it’s been 7 years or more since I’ve watched it.
"It was more ironic than a Robin Masters novel--she thought he was dead, he thought she was dead...and only the chauffeur knew the truth! He should have been the butler!" "Lest We Forget"

Rembrandt's Girl
Fleet Admiral

#249 Post by Rembrandt's Girl »

KENJI wrote:A great HFO trivia question:

Who is the lady doing the hula in the intro?

Answer................

Helen Kuoha Torco

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FuoZaDvIo0

Another piece of trivia.....the club scene with Steve staring at Helen :shock: is a mock up of the Queen's Surf Barefoot Bar (note: the drum face has SM on it which stands for Sterling Mossman). Helen used to dance for Sterling and the Barefoot Bar Gang.The scene was supposedly filmed at the Outrigger Canoe Club because they needed more room for the cameras. I read somewhere that she was paid $150 for that long day of filming.

http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/story/1465 ... cer-shakes
I just saw that sadly she passed away last month. She seemed like such a dear, sweet lady :cry: http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/clip/14625 ... wit-warmth

MaiTaiMan
Fleet Admiral

#250 Post by MaiTaiMan »

Rembrandt's Girl wrote:
KENJI wrote:A great HFO trivia question:

Who is the lady doing the hula in the intro?

Answer................

Helen Kuoha Torco

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FuoZaDvIo0

Another piece of trivia.....the club scene with Steve staring at Helen :shock: is a mock up of the Queen's Surf Barefoot Bar (note: the drum face has SM on it which stands for Sterling Mossman). Helen used to dance for Sterling and the Barefoot Bar Gang.The scene was supposedly filmed at the Outrigger Canoe Club because they needed more room for the cameras. I read somewhere that she was paid $150 for that long day of filming.

http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/story/1465 ... cer-shakes
I just saw that sadly she passed away last month. She seemed like such a dear, sweet lady :cry: http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/clip/14625 ... wit-warmth
Sad she passed away. :( As for the other trivia...I think Sterling Mossman and his Barefoot Band were also regularly featured in the late 50s/early 60s detective show “Hawaiian Eye” (starring Robert Conrad, Connie Stevens, Anthony Eisley, Troy Donahue, etc...)! Although a good portion of that show was filmed on a Hollywood soundstage, as it was well before filming on real-life locales became a thing.
"It was more ironic than a Robin Masters novel--she thought he was dead, he thought she was dead...and only the chauffeur knew the truth! He should have been the butler!" "Lest We Forget"

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#251 Post by K Hale »

Rembrandt's Girl wrote:
Hi Frodoleader!

To answer your first question, I don't know what Honolulu was like 40-50 years ago during the H50 days but I think we have to keep in mind that it was a television show about a make-believe elite police force so it stands to reason that we would see quite a bit of the criminal element and the seedier parts of Honolulu.

Your second question is if it's still the same today? Again, that's a difficult comparison to make because we're comparing an old crime drama television show to a modern-day city. What I can tell you about Honolulu today though is that I'm sure some parts would appear less seedy to a visitor today because decades have passed and some modernization has taken place, but then again some parts worse with age. But, Honolulu is definitely a big city, and like any big city in the U.S. it does have its seedy parts including crime, homeless people, litter, panhandlers, traffic, drugs, people with questionable intentions, etc.

However Waikiki, which of course is a small part of Honolulu, is a tourist mecca... beautiful and safe, and they keep it that way for a rea$on. Of course it's extremely touristy with nice hotels, an overabundance of shopping (much of which is very high-end), fantastic five-star restaurants, and I repeat... lots of tourists. Waikiki Beach is just gorgeous but jam-packed... did I mention tourists?

For fun drop the Google street view mermaid on Kalakaua Avenue to see what it's like... https://www.google.com/maps/@21.2785694 ... 312!8i6656
Having just got back from there, I will say Waikiki and the touristic areas of Honolulu are nice, fine, safe places. Then 1-2 blocks over it's seedy as hell: homeless encampments, decreipt apartments, trash everywhere, etc. And I did not seek such areas out, I simply drove through them due to exiting off the H1 freeway and driving into downtown. Places like that are going to exist in any large city.

Outside of Honolulu, Oahu is very rural with the occasional small town, and many of the small towns are pretty seedy themselves, with homeless encampments ranging from a few tents to a fairly good sized "town" in itself. It is very expensive to live in Hawaii and it seemed like the housing was mostly either for wealthy people or very poor people, not much average middle class looking neighborhoods although there were some, particularly between Waimanalo and Honolulu. But what I see as an average middle class looking house might cost a million bucks there. Who knows.
I didn't realize you were so addicted to pool.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

Rembrandt's Girl
Fleet Admiral

#252 Post by Rembrandt's Girl »

I would bet money Lenkov bought these H50 items... http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/2018/09/26 ... more-than/

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#253 Post by KENJI »

Rembrandt's Girl wrote:I would bet money Lenkov bought these H50 items... http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/2018/09/26 ... more-than/
Hi RG,

Nice find!
After watching last night's HFO season opener - Cocoon (2.0) :roll: I would agree with you! I bet he was thinking.... I could've used this script a month ago! :lol: Joking aside, I'm sure he has access to any original script he wants, but to own this particular one along with Steve's badge is pretty cool. 8)
I would say these items and Steve's car would be at the top of list for any HFO fan/collector.

Rembrandt's Girl
Fleet Admiral

#254 Post by Rembrandt's Girl »

KENJI wrote:
Rembrandt's Girl wrote:I would bet money Lenkov bought these H50 items... http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/2018/09/26 ... more-than/
Hi RG,

Nice find!
After watching last night's HFO season opener - Cocoon (2.0) :roll: I would agree with you! I bet he was thinking.... I could've used this script a month ago! :lol: Joking aside, I'm sure he has access to any original script he wants, but to own this particular one along with Steve's badge is pretty cool. 8)
I would say these items and Steve's car would be at the top of list for any HFO fan/collector.
You're welcome, Kenji! :D I didn't see Cocoon last night but have been reading the comments haha!

Yep, Lenkov has a rather large collection of memorabilia, big & small, that he shows on social media occasionally and that badge is especially right up his alley.

Brian
Fleet Admiral

#255 Post by Brian »

I've been watching a few episodes everyday after work. On season 6 now, fantastic series with great characters and guest stars.
Sneakers Higgins!!