Hawaii Five-O: Any Fans?

1948-present

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Raykv423
Lieutenant Commander

Re: Hawaii Five-O: Any Fans?

#1726 Post by Raykv423 »

MaiTaiMan wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 3:44 am
Raykv423 wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 3:19 am https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movie ... 235551740/

Sharon Ferrell passed away. RIP.
I believe she was literally the last surviving original show main cast member still alive...as Al Harrington passed away within this past year or so. However, this was back in May?? They are all gone now. :( :cry:
Yeah…..that’s pretty sad… :(

Yeah, I was really confused why her passing didn’t even made the news until three months after she died. Last time I looked her up, Wikipedia, IMDB, and Google said she’s still living, which I kinda find it unsettling now looking back since she’s already gone the last time I googled her.

Raykv423
Lieutenant Commander

#1727 Post by Raykv423 »

I just started writing a Hawaii Five-0 short story (based on the original show, not the reboot) and while I don’t want to give anything away, I figured it wouldn’t hurt to show off a sneak peek (by the way, the reason why I censored the title of the story I’m writing is it pretty much gave away what’s this story is gonna be about but it’s a working title at the moment and I hope to come up a better title for it so until I’m done with it, I won’t gave away anything lol)

https://flic.kr/p/2oVz8L3

Honestly, it would be nice to have the original Hawaii Five-0 series continue in the form of short stories, novels, comics and maybe even a script. I’m really considering doing that for God knows when.

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#1728 Post by Pahonu »

My wife is competing in the mile at a Masters Swim event in San Diego. She’s staying at a hostel in Ocean Beach. OB is kind of like the Haight-Ashbury of San Diego. She sent me this from the room and I had to share. :shock: :lol:
https://ibb.co/gMPKv4h

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

#1729 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Pahonu wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 4:14 pm My wife is competing in the mile at a Masters Swim event in San Diego. She’s staying at a hostel in Ocean Beach. OB is kind of like the Haight-Ashbury of San Diego. She sent me this from the room and I had to share. :shock: :lol:
The koolest kat of all time!! Book 'em, Danno! :D

They sure don't make 'em like they used to. I'm referring to both cops and pompadours. :)

Raykv423
Lieutenant Commander

#1730 Post by Raykv423 »

Just got a new cable for my cochlear processor (I'm 100% deaf) and I'm surprised Jack Lord's voice is a bit deep. For a while, I imagined his voice is kinda raspy lol.

Raykv423
Lieutenant Commander

#1731 Post by Raykv423 »

MaiTaiMan wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 3:18 pm
Raykv423 wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 7:02 am Just seen the series finale (I tend to watch some shows out of order and it didn't ruin my perception of them) and oh wow, Khigh Dhiegh looks very young despite being 70. Dude has to be the youngest looking 70 year old haha. I thought he's like 50.

Still have a long way with the original Five-0 but to be honest, the conclusion felt pretty lackluster but action scenes are really fantastic. I guess the crew giving it all with Jack Lord being diagnosed with Alzheimer's (idk if he's planning to retire before his diagnosis or his diagnosis is the reason for his eventual retirement) and the fact this is the series finale, which I don't blame them for. Still a decent episode overall despite the conclusion being lacking.

Now on to more Five-0.....

Also I might misinterpret it but I get the feeling that Jack and Khigh's smile at the last scene are a subtle way of saying goodbye to not just to viewers but to each other after 12 years. I'm sure they have a professional mutual respect for each other.
However, Season 11 was supposed to be the final season, and everyone was planning on it ending. But, for some reason CBS did renew it for one more season. James MacArthur, however, declined to return & wanted to move on. Once the show was definitely ending, they purposely wanted to do a finale where McGarrett finally captures Wo Fat...as they had phased out that character & feud between them several years before.The last scene though has Wo Fat smiling...with a secret key, letting us know he plans to escape & purposely leaving open the possibility of a reunion TV movie at some point.

Sadly that never came to be. Khigh Dheigh passed away in 1991, and at some point Jack Lord became too ill with Alzheimer’s that he wasn’t able to work or function much anymore.
Late response but I was actually thinking a lot lately about making a respectful and faithul sequel movie of it, as well as the Magnum PI/5-0 crossover that was supposed to happen but didn't. I'm not a trained filmmaker (though I always wanted to get into the film and TV industry, but I admit I rather stay away from Hollywood and stick to indie, which is personally good for me) but I can imagine bits and pieces of it in my head.

I'm conflicted whether it should be animated or live action, but I'm mostly leaning towards live action, which I felt is better because that meant recreating 70s/80s camera work and making Honolulu actually look like 1970s/80s. Only problem with live action is I'm sure making Honolulu actually look like the 70s/80s is a pain in the neck and I'm honestly more worried about causing problems with it.

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#1732 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 5:47 pm
Pahonu wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 4:14 pm My wife is competing in the mile at a Masters Swim event in San Diego. She’s staying at a hostel in Ocean Beach. OB is kind of like the Haight-Ashbury of San Diego. She sent me this from the room and I had to share. :shock: :lol:

They sure don't make 'em like they used to. I'm referring to both cops and pompadours. :)
Call me Mr. Thicky but why is there a Menehune surfing on McGarret's head? Is it symbolic of something? I am the first to admit that some aspects of art eludes me,
for instance I gaze at the Mona Lisa and see a dreary painting of an even drearier mousy hausfrau.

Pahonu, the art on the walls is often for sale in small inns/hostels. Did the Mrs. buy the painting in question as a present for you, if so is it titled?
I think it would be cool to have that in your living room just as a conversation starter, especially as I suspect it was painted by Ivan.
How did your better half do at the Masters Swim event in San Diego? A medal for her and a painting for you and her San Diego visit can be counted a success all around.

Pahonu

#1733 Post by Pahonu »

Luther's nephew Dobie wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 6:25 am

Call me Mr. Thicky but why is there a Menehune surfing on McGarret's head? Is it symbolic of something? I am the first to admit that some aspects of art eludes me,
for instance I gaze at the Mona Lisa and see a dreary painting of an even drearier mousy hausfrau.

Pahonu, the art on the walls is often for sale in small inns/hostels. Did the Mrs. buy the painting in question as a present for you, if so is it titled?
I think it would be cool to have that in your living room just as a conversation starter, especially as I suspect it was painted by Ivan.
How did your better half do at the Masters Swim event in San Diego? A medal for her and a painting for you and her San Diego visit can be counted a success all around.
Hey Dobie,

I’m sad to report, I do NOT now possess this masterpiece! :lol: I also don’t know a title, other than what is written on the bamboo-like frame: Book ‘Em Danno Justice in Paradise. Works for me.

My interpretation is the artist was deeply inspired by McGarrett’s always well-coiffed pompadour and exaggerated it with a mashup of Hawaiian imagery from the tiki milieu. :wink:

Perhaps Ivan will some day cop to his artistic predilections.

Did you that the Mona Lisa wasn’t really very famous until it was stolen in the early 20th century?

https://www.npr.org/2011/07/30/13880011 ... asterpiece

My wife made out better than me. She finished third and got a medal in her age group, which is how they group the swimmers. I think there were only about six swimmers in that group. The 50 and over category doesn’t see a huge number of competitors in certain events, particularly the difficult butterfly events and the mile. Coincidentally, as I’m writing this, she’s at swim practice.

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#1734 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

Pahonu wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 5:05 pm
Luther's nephew Dobie wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 6:25 am

Hey Dobie,

I’m sad to report, I do NOT now possess this masterpiece! :lol: I also don’t know a title, other than what is written on the bamboo-like frame: Book ‘Em Danno Justice in Paradise. Works for me.

My interpretation is the artist was deeply inspired by McGarrett’s always well-coiffed pompadour and exaggerated it with a mashup of Hawaiian imagery from the tiki milieu. :wink:

Perhaps Ivan will some day cop to his artistic predilections.

Did you that the Mona Lisa wasn’t really very famous until it was stolen in the early 20th century?

https://www.npr.org/2011/07/30/13880011 ... asterpiece

My wife made out better than me. She finished third and got a medal in her age group, which is how they group the swimmers. I think there were only about six swimmers in that group. The 50 and over category doesn’t see a huge number of competitors in certain events, particularly the difficult butterfly events and the mile. Coincidentally, as I’m writing this, she’s at swim practice.
Pahonu,
"I’m sad to report, I do NOT now possess this masterpiece!" gave me a good laugh.

Congrats to Mrs. P on her win. Rumor has it she nabbed "Book ‘Em Danno Justice in Paradise" for a ten spot and even now it sits wrapped in the trunk of her car, just waiting to be gifted to you for the
holidays, you've earned it.

That Mona Lisa story was a pip, especially how nobody noticed it was missing! That would make a neat caper movie, instead of Marvel Comics sequel #24. A young John Hillerman, Larry Storch
and Peter Falk as the three brothers that swiped it. Anyway, thanks for that link.

Raykv423
Lieutenant Commander

#1735 Post by Raykv423 »

Does anyone know what episode are those two photos from? I’m actually pretty curious. Unfortunately Wikimedia and Getty Images didn’t say, nor did the original source where it came from.

Pahonu

#1736 Post by Pahonu »

Raykv423 wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 8:59 am Image

Does anyone know what episode are those two photos from? I’m actually pretty curious. Unfortunately Wikimedia and Getty Images didn’t say, nor did the original source where it came from.
Ivan is the one to ask for this one. This isn’t McGarrett’s usual clothing. He seems to be dressed for work at the docks.

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

#1737 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Pahonu wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 7:26 pm
Raykv423 wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 8:59 am Image

Ivan is the one to ask for this one. This isn’t McGarrett’s usual clothing. He seems to be dressed for work at the docks.
Pretty sure it's a season 10 episode. Could be "You Don't See Many Pirates These Days" where McG is working on his boat. But I can't recall this exact imagery. Almost looks like a promo shot.

Or maybe it's from season 11 when McG is serving on a jury - "The Case Against Philip Christie".

Pahonu

#1738 Post by Pahonu »

I just watched the excellent season four episode Cloth of Gold and wondered how it might have been updated for the new series. I know they remade Hookman and would love to have seen this one done as well.

MaiTaiMan
Fleet Admiral

#1739 Post by MaiTaiMan »

Pahonu wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 3:28 am I just watched the excellent season four episode Cloth of Gold and wondered how it might have been updated for the new series. I know they remade Hookman and would love to have seen this one done as well.
The remake series was actually very awesome as well…which is rare for a past popular series! The remake actually remade both “Hookman” & the original series’ pilot “Cocoon”…both show’s versions were/are superb!
"It was more ironic than a Robin Masters novel--she thought he was dead, he thought she was dead...and only the chauffeur knew the truth! He should have been the butler!" "Lest We Forget"

Pahonu

#1740 Post by Pahonu »

MaiTaiMan wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 5:50 am
Pahonu wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 3:28 am I just watched the excellent season four episode Cloth of Gold and wondered how it might have been updated for the new series. I know they remade Hookman and would love to have seen this one done as well.
The remake series was actually very awesome as well…which is rare for a past popular series! The remake actually remade both “Hookman” & the original series’ pilot “Cocoon”…both show’s versions were/are superb!
I watched the first couple of seasons and enjoyed, but then kind of lost interest. I did specifically go back and watch Hookman. I didn’t realize that they had remade Cocoon. I’ll have to check it out, thanks!