Hawaii Five-O: Any Fans?

1948-present

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

MaiTaiMan
Fleet Admiral

Re: Hawaii Five-O: Any Fans?

#1711 Post by MaiTaiMan »

Raykv423 wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 7:02 am Just seen the series finale (I tend to watch some shows out of order and it didn't ruin my perception of them) and oh wow, Khigh Dhiegh looks very young despite being 70. Dude has to be the youngest looking 70 year old haha. I thought he's like 50.

Still have a long way with the original Five-0 but to be honest, the conclusion felt pretty lackluster but action scenes are really fantastic. I guess the crew giving it all with Jack Lord being diagnosed with Alzheimer's (idk if he's planning to retire before his diagnosis or his diagnosis is the reason for his eventual retirement) and the fact this is the series finale, which I don't blame them for. Still a decent episode overall despite the conclusion being lacking.

Now on to more Five-0.....

Also I might misinterpret it but I get the feeling that Jack and Khigh's smile at the last scene are a subtle way of saying goodbye to not just to viewers but to each other after 12 years. I'm sure they have a professional mutual respect for each other.
Jack wasn’t diagnosed yet with Alzheimer’s while the show was on...although there are rumors he was starting to show signs of the disease towards the end of the last season. His wife Marie tried to deny he had the disease for years, but eventually it was revealed he did have it...and had it at least 7 years or so before he died. However, he didn’t die until 1998, actually from congestive heart failure. That was almost 20 years after 5-0 was canceled...I’m not sure once some develops Alzheimer’s that they live that long?

However, Season 11 was supposed to be the final season, and everyone was planning on it ending. But, for some reason CBS did renew it for one more season. James MacArthur, however, declined to return & wanted to move on. Once the show was definitely ending, they purposely wanted to do a finale where McGarrett finally captures Wo Fat...as they had phased out that character & feud between them several years before.The last scene though has Wo Fat smiling...with a secret key, letting us know he plans to escape & purposely leaving open the possibility of a reunion TV movie at some point.

Sadly that never came to be. Khigh Dheigh passed away in 1991, and at some point Jack Lord became too ill with Alzheimer’s that he wasn’t able to work or function much anymore.
"It was more ironic than a Robin Masters novel--she thought he was dead, he thought she was dead...and only the chauffeur knew the truth! He should have been the butler!" "Lest We Forget"

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#1712 Post by Pahonu »

MaiTaiMan wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 4:44 pm
Pahonu wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 4:12 pm
Raykv423 wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 7:46 am in other news

I gotta ask, how the heck does McGarrett and the squad are okay with wearing suits on a hot summer day??? That would've made them very uncomfortable. I can't imagine wearing a suit on a very hot day, especially on Hawaii. That probably might cooked me alive LOL :lol:

They still look badass on suits though
I’m with you. I would be miserable if I had to wear a suit everyday to work as I’m in Southern California… but people do. I think it’s people who mostly work in air conditioned offices where it’s required for reasons of formality. Still, I can think of worse places to be wearing a suit than SoCal or Hawaii, with its trade winds… the hot and humid Southern states. I’m picturing old movies depicting lawyers mopping their sweating brows with a handkerchief in a Mississippi courtroom or the like. That’s why they wore those seersucker suits and not wool in the summer. I can’t even imagine it in those pre-AC days. A fan wouldn’t do much when you wearing a full suit! Lots of iced tea and cold lemonade was probably the best they had.
Yeah, I’ve read and seen old interviews with the cast of the original show, and they talked about how sweltering and miserable it was to be filming in Hawaii all day long in these heavy suits and ties, lol! But, back then it was still the style & even rule sometimes that detectives were to look “professional”, and were expected to wear suits & ties. I loved the remake wardrobe better...as they were of course more modern & allowed to wear Hawaiian shirts & jeans—which is soo much more like me, lol!

With my job, I am actually allowed to wear stuff like that to work as well, and I have lots of vintage as well as current Hawaiian shirts that I wear all spring and summer. Times change...many times not for the better, but in this wardrobe case I am glad modern times accept more comfortable things for work—especially in the summer! Where I’m at it’s getting up to 107 during the day. :x
I’m a high school teacher so my dress code is basically the school’s dress code for students. I usually wear cargo shorts and various short sleeve shirts, including guayaberas and a few aloha shirts as well. I have to add, I’m starting my 28th year next month and I have seen aloha shirts come in and out of style with the kids several times over the years. They’re never completely out of fashion, but at various times a lot more kids seem to be wearing them. My wife, who also teaches high school, and I noticed that we were seeing more of them in the year following the lockdown, but not so much now. I couldn’t begin to tell you any of the years further back. This is in Southern California.

Pahonu

#1713 Post by Pahonu »

MaiTaiMan wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 3:18 pm
Raykv423 wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 7:02 am Just seen the series finale (I tend to watch some shows out of order and it didn't ruin my perception of them) and oh wow, Khigh Dhiegh looks very young despite being 70. Dude has to be the youngest looking 70 year old haha. I thought he's like 50.

Still have a long way with the original Five-0 but to be honest, the conclusion felt pretty lackluster but action scenes are really fantastic. I guess the crew giving it all with Jack Lord being diagnosed with Alzheimer's (idk if he's planning to retire before his diagnosis or his diagnosis is the reason for his eventual retirement) and the fact this is the series finale, which I don't blame them for. Still a decent episode overall despite the conclusion being lacking.

Also I might misinterpret it but I get the feeling that Jack and Khigh's smile at the last scene are a subtle way of saying goodbye to not just to viewers but to each other after 12 years. I'm sure they have a professional mutual respect for each other.
Jack wasn’t diagnosed yet with Alzheimer’s while the show was on...although there are rumors he was starting to show signs of the disease towards the end of the last season. His wife Marie tried to deny he had the disease for years, but eventually it was revealed he did have it...and had it at least 7 years or so before he died. However, he didn’t die until 1998, actually from congestive heart failure. That was almost 20 years after 5-0 was canceled...I’m not sure once some develops Alzheimer’s that they live that long?

However, Season 11 was supposed to be the final season, and everyone was planning on it ending. But, for some reason CBS did renew it for one more season. James MacArthur, however, declined to return & wanted to move on. Once the show was definitely ending, they purposely wanted to do a finale where McGarrett finally captures Wo Fat...as they had phased out that character & feud between them several years before.The last scene though has Wo Fat smiling...with a secret key, letting us know he plans to escape & purposely leaving open the possibility of a reunion TV movie at some point.

Sadly that never came to be. Khigh Dheigh passed away in 1991, and at some point Jack Lord became too ill with Alzheimer’s that he wasn’t able to work or function much anymore.
A quick answer to your question. A close friend’s father developed Alzheimer’s in his mid to late 60’s shortly after retirement. Various family members took care of him for quite a few years, but ultimately he needed an assistance facility. He lived into his 80’s, so maybe 15+ years with the illness.

MaiTaiMan
Fleet Admiral

#1714 Post by MaiTaiMan »

Pahonu wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 4:37 pm
MaiTaiMan wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 4:44 pm
Pahonu wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 4:12 pm
Raykv423 wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 7:46 am in other news

I gotta ask, how the heck does McGarrett and the squad are okay with wearing suits on a hot summer day??? That would've made them very uncomfortable. I can't imagine wearing a suit on a very hot day, especially on Hawaii. That probably might cooked me alive LOL :lol:

They still look badass on suits though
I’m with you. I would be miserable if I had to wear a suit everyday to work as I’m in Southern California… but people do. I think it’s people who mostly work in air conditioned offices where it’s required for reasons of formality. Still, I can think of worse places to be wearing a suit than SoCal or Hawaii, with its trade winds… the hot and humid Southern states. I’m picturing old movies depicting lawyers mopping their sweating brows with a handkerchief in a Mississippi courtroom or the like. That’s why they wore those seersucker suits and not wool in the summer. I can’t even imagine it in those pre-AC days. A fan wouldn’t do much when you wearing a full suit! Lots of iced tea and cold lemonade was probably the best they had.
Yeah, I’ve read and seen old interviews with the cast of the original show, and they talked about how sweltering and miserable it was to be filming in Hawaii all day long in these heavy suits and ties, lol! But, back then it was still the style & even rule sometimes that detectives were to look “professional”, and were expected to wear suits & ties. I loved the remake wardrobe better...as they were of course more modern & allowed to wear Hawaiian shirts & jeans—which is soo much more like me, lol!

With my job, I am actually allowed to wear stuff like that to work as well, and I have lots of vintage as well as current Hawaiian shirts that I wear all spring and summer. Times change...many times not for the better, but in this wardrobe case I am glad modern times accept more comfortable things for work—especially in the summer! Where I’m at it’s getting up to 107 during the day. :x
I’m a high school teacher so my dress code is basically the school’s dress code for students. I usually wear cargo shorts and various short sleeve shirts, including guayaberas and a few aloha shirts as well. I have to add, I’m starting my 28th year next month and I have seen aloha shirts come in and out of style with the kids several times over the years. They’re never completely out of fashion, but at various times a lot more kids seem to be wearing them. My wife, who also teaches high school, and I noticed that we were seeing more of them in the year following the lockdown, but not so much now. I couldn’t begin to tell you any of the years further back. This is in Southern California.
I’m a social worker that works with kids in all locations of their lives, school, home, community, jobs, etc... So, I too can wear cargo shorts along with my Hawaiian Shirts. However, after the first couple weeks of school I usually do switch to jeans. I’m in the Midwest, and Hawaiian shirts never truly go out of style...I see them more in the summer time of course, and I don’t wear mine in the winter, but they’re always around. :D

As for Alzheimer’s, Jack could have started developing the disease around 1980 when the show was ending...it just seemed like a long time between then & 98 when he passed away. However, there was another show that Jack tried to get going...or maybe it was a TV movie, in Hawaii not long after 5-0 went off the air. But, it didn’t go anywhere & was canceled. So, he was still trying to work some even after 5-0 was done.
"It was more ironic than a Robin Masters novel--she thought he was dead, he thought she was dead...and only the chauffeur knew the truth! He should have been the butler!" "Lest We Forget"

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

#1715 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

"Woe to Wo Fat" is an episode I didn't care for when I first saw it. To begin with I was never the biggest Wo Fat fan but by this point the series was definitely running on fumes and the hilarious/ridiculous makeup and wig (Santa beard :lol:) that McGarrett had to wear to pretend he was Professor Raintree was just too much!! :shock: That was then, of course. This is now. And now I kinda like the episode. In fact I think it's one of the better episodes of the final season. The professor white beard wig is still laughable and still makes me cringe :x but I like that the episode is a sort of mini-movie (even though it's not a two-parter). You've got a secret island base (which is basically Robin's Nest from Magnum, PI where they would start filming in a few months time), brainwashing, an assault on the lab with McGarrett going Rambo with a machine gun :lol:, explosions, and a jungle hunt with a mano-a-mano showdown between McG and Wo Fat! Plus a fine music score by Morton Stevens! Perhaps it's all a bit cartoony and super-hero-y but I don't mind that for the finale they decided to go a bit over-the-top. It works for me!

And you're right - Khigh Dhiegh looked much younger than his age here! Considering that we first saw him in the "Cocoon" pilot in 1968, 12 years later in 1980 he didn't seem to age much at all. Maybe the whiskers sticking out of his ears were a bit longer but other than that he didn't age much. :)

Raykv423
Lieutenant Commander

#1716 Post by Raykv423 »

Pahonu wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 4:43 pm
MaiTaiMan wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 3:18 pm

A quick answer to your question. A close friend’s father developed Alzheimer’s in his mid to late 60’s shortly after retirement. Various family members took care of him for quite a few years, but ultimately he needed an assistance facility. He lived into his 80’s, so maybe 15+ years with the illness.
Such a shame Alzheimer's took away lot of people :( I even read that a few months ago, a 19 year old is the youngest person to diagnosed with it :/ Really sad.

Raykv423
Lieutenant Commander

#1717 Post by Raykv423 »

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 10:02 pm

"Woe to Wo Fat" is an episode I didn't care for when I first saw it. To begin with I was never the biggest Wo Fat fan but by this point the series was definitely running on fumes and the hilarious/ridiculous makeup and wig (Santa beard :lol:) that McGarrett had to wear to pretend he was Professor Raintree was just too much!! :shock: That was then, of course. This is now. And now I kinda like the episode. In fact I think it's one of the better episodes of the final season. The professor white beard wig is still laughable and still makes me cringe :x but I like that the episode is a sort of mini-movie (even though it's not a two-parter). You've got a secret island base (which is basically Robin's Nest from Magnum, PI where they would start filming in a few months time), brainwashing, an assault on the lab with McGarrett going Rambo with a machine gun :lol:, explosions, and a jungle hunt with a mano-a-mano showdown between McG and Wo Fat! Plus a fine music score by Morton Stevens! Perhaps it's all a bit cartoony and super-hero-y but I don't mind that for the finale they decided to go a bit over-the-top. It works for me!

And you're right - Khigh Dhiegh looked much younger than his age here! Considering that we first saw him in the "Cocoon" pilot in 1968, 12 years later in 1980 he didn't seem to age much at all. Maybe the whiskers sticking out of his ears were a bit longer but other than that he didn't age much. :)
I'm convinced Khigh is drinking the fountain of youth :lol:

Oh wow I never realized that Wo Fat's mansion will become Robin's Nest a few months later. But I guess I shouldn't be surprised considering they basically share the same production offices and soundstage.

I saw a clip of Steve using a machine gun on a DVD trailer of the final season and I was like, damn, I know McG is always a badass but didn't think he would go that far on those goons haha. Cue my mild disappointment when I saw the episode 😂

MaiTaiMan
Fleet Admiral

#1718 Post by MaiTaiMan »

Raykv423 wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 10:12 pm
ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 10:02 pm

I'm convinced Khigh is drinking the fountain of youth :lol:

Oh wow I never realized that Wo Fat's mansion will become Robin's Nest a few months later. But I guess I shouldn't be surprised considering they basically share the same production offices and soundstage.

I saw a clip of Steve using a machine gun on a DVD trailer of the final season and I was like, damn, I know McG is always a badass but didn't think he would go that far on those goons haha. Cue my mild disappointment when I saw the episode 😂
Khigh Dhiegh’s real name was Kenneth Dickerson, lol, and in reality he was actually of Anglo-Egyptian Sudanese ancestry. :wink: But, he was known for playing East Asian roles.

There were multiple episodes throughout 5-0’s 12 year run that used the mansion, that eventually became Robin’s Nest in “Magnum”. Sadly, in recent years the mansion was demolished, and all that remains is part of the guest house that Magnum supposedly lived in. :( These were exteriors of course, as the interiors were really sets built on the studio sound stages—which were originally the 5-0 ones that “Magnum” eventually took over.

Raykv423
Lieutenant Commander

#1719 Post by Raykv423 »

MaiTaiMan wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 12:53 am
There were multiple episodes throughout 5-0’s 12 year run that used the mansion, that eventually became Robin’s Nest in “Magnum”. Sadly, in recent years the mansion was demolished, and all that remains is part of the guest house that Magnum supposedly lived in. :( These were exteriors of course, as the interiors were really sets built on the studio sound stages—which were originally the 5-0 ones that “Magnum” eventually took over.
I just found that out last week or so when I started rewatching MPI. That freaking sucks. :/ Why all the good places have to get demolished?

MaiTaiMan
Fleet Admiral

#1720 Post by MaiTaiMan »

Raykv423 wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 7:00 am
I just found that out last week or so when I started rewatching MPI. That freaking sucks. :/ Why all the good places have to get demolished?
I know...as time goes on it seems less & less people care about history, nor do they appreciate the significance of a building or location. :( :x

Raykv423
Lieutenant Commander

#1721 Post by Raykv423 »

MaiTaiMan wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 7:06 am
I know...as time goes on it seems less & less people care about history, nor do they appreciate the significance of a building or location. :( :x
I wasn't really happy when I found out both of Ray Bradbury's homes (one of them is his childhood house) got demolished by some bigwig who's looking to make a quick buck :evil: :evil: I really despise developers, especially those who doesn't give a bullcrap about history and significance and only cares about money. We need to save those historic landmarks and prevent them from getting destroyed and erased from history.

I hope there's some organizations out there dedicated to saving historical and significant buildings.

MaiTaiMan
Fleet Admiral

#1722 Post by MaiTaiMan »

Raykv423 wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 9:50 am
I wasn't really happy when I found out both of Ray Bradbury's homes (one of them is his childhood house) got demolished by some bigwig who's looking to make a quick buck :evil: :evil: I really despise developers, especially those who doesn't give a bullcrap about history and significance and only cares about money. We need to save those historic landmarks and prevent them from getting destroyed and erased from history.

I hope there's some organizations out there dedicated to saving historical and significant buildings.
There are organizations all over dedicated to trying to save and preserve historical landmarks & buildings, but they have to work hard & it is very hard to get a building or place officially declared a historical landmark. I’m not sure when the mansion used as Robin’s Nest was built, but it was never officially considered a historical or cultural landmark...although in my opinion it should have been as much as it was used by TV shows & movies filming on Oahu.

Pahonu

#1723 Post by Pahonu »

Raykv423 wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 9:50 am

I hadn’t heard that his childhood home in Waukegan was torn down. I believe the museum dedicated to him in Waukegan has closed, but it was not in the house. I recall very well the controversy several years ago surrounding his house in the Cheviot Hills neighborhood of LA. I’m in the area and it was all over the news, not just because of the former owner, but because the new owner is Pritzker Architecture Prize winner Thom Mayne.

We’ve had this conversation about private property rights on the forum more than once, especially after Pahonu’s sale and subsequent razing. With the exception of a handful of cities in the US, Boston being a good example, most cities have very poor historical protection laws. It has improved in the last few decades, but lags far behind many European cities, for example. Lacking those laws, it is up to individuals to decide what to do with the historic properties they may own.

Eve Anderson could have designated Pahonu as a historic landmark had she chosen to do so. She did not and sold it for a very high price instead. The Bradbury family ultimately had a choice about selling the home or keeping it and establishing a museum perhaps. It was sold. I personally am a big supporter of increasing historic protection laws, but it’s not very popular in general as it is seen as a restriction of private property rights.

I have two final thoughts on the topic. First, I disagree at the anger many people direct at the buyers of these properties when they learn they will be destroyed, rather than at the sellers who did nothing to protect the property and took the money. The blame is misdirected in many ways. Second, often the very same people who would never agree to their OWN property rights being restricted, question why the owner of a historic property they care about was allowed to do what they wished with THEIR property. There is more than a little hypocrisy in play there.

If, as a society, we truly want to prioritize our architectural past, we have to agree to all have potential limits to our private property rights. This doesn’t just apply to single structures, but also historical streets and neighborhoods. It can also apply in the future after a property is already owned. Imagine living in a neighborhood for thirty years and it is considered for historic designation. You may never have considered this when you purchased it, but now you will no longer be able to alter the exterior of your home without an architectural review board okaying any changes. Many people would likely not want to agree to that, but that is the very nature of historic protection. Just some thoughts.

Raykv423
Lieutenant Commander

#1724 Post by Raykv423 »

MaiTaiMan
Fleet Admiral

#1725 Post by MaiTaiMan »

Raykv423 wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 3:19 am https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movie ... 235551740/

Sharon Ferrell passed away. RIP.
I believe she was literally the last surviving original show main cast member still alive...as Al Harrington passed away within this past year or so. However, this was back in May?? They are all gone now. :( :cry: