Hawaii Five-O: Any Fans?

1948-present

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

Re: Hawaii Five-O: Any Fans?

#1696 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

MaiTaiMan wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 11:03 pm I stand by what I’ve said regarding both the original & remakes of the 5-0 & Magnum shows...both 5-0s were amazing & were very popular and iconic with fans. That is why they lasted as long as they did. Only the original Magnum is awesome & definitely iconic for its time, as well. The remake was a disaster and it did not last that long, nor will it be remembered in a positive way or ever be considered iconic. And these views are by no means just mine. :wink: But, everyone has their likes & dislikes...to each his or her own. 8)
This is all of course according to you. Which is fine. You like what you like. But you have nothing to back up your "iconic" claims with. :lol: As I mentioned MIAMI VICE only ran 5 seasons. Is it less iconic than the Five-Zero reboot? I think not. And you know it too. Same with the original MPI - it didn't run as long as Five-Zero. Less iconic too? The Twilight Zone less iconic? I've never heard anyone refer to the remake as iconic except you. :lol: But hey, more power to you. :wink:

Raykv423
Lieutenant Commander

#1697 Post by Raykv423 »

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 5:14 am
MaiTaiMan wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 11:03 pm I stand by what I’ve said regarding both the original & remakes of the 5-0 & Magnum shows...both 5-0s were amazing & were very popular and iconic with fans. That is why they lasted as long as they did. Only the original Magnum is awesome & definitely iconic for its time, as well. The remake was a disaster and it did not last that long, nor will it be remembered in a positive way or ever be considered iconic. And these views are by no means just mine. :wink: But, everyone has their likes & dislikes...to each his or her own. 8)
This is all of course according to you. Which is fine. You like what you like. But you have nothing to back up your "iconic" claims with. :lol: As I mentioned MIAMI VICE only ran 5 seasons. Is it less iconic than the Five-Zero reboot? I think not. And you know it too. Same with the original MPI - it didn't run as long as Five-Zero. Less iconic too? The Twilight Zone less iconic? I've never heard anyone refer to the remake as iconic except you. :lol: But hey, more power to you. :wink:
Aye I like Miami Vice! Never seen the original Twilight Zone series though but it's definitely one of the shows I always wanted to watch.

Fleet Admiral

#1698 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Pahonu wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 10:26 pm I can’t argue about the relative comparisons of the reboots to the original series for the two shows as I didn’t watch either reboot beyond the first few episodes. I can argue that the original MPI had humorous subplots in most of the episodes, with a smaller number that were entirely serious. Think of the Horace the goat subplot in Dead Man’s Channel, or “Punky” in Mr. White Death, or TM borrowing and returning a too small jacket to TC in No Need to Know. These are just a few that come to mind. I think more episodes had these humorous bits than didn’t. Plus there are TM’s smirks into the camera, Rick getting beaten up by nuns, Higgins droning stories. There’s a lot of humor and light-heartedness there. In fact it’s the entirely serious episodes that stand out to me as unusual. I find that I tend to watch these serious episodes far less. Even the very serious Death and Taxes has TM dealing with an IRS audit and his friends making fun of his “filing system”. It’s even humorous that he struggles to say the word, “…..audit!” There, I said it! :magnum:
Absolutely! TM smirking/whining and Higgy droning on and on with his war stories is something you see in EVERY episode!! To say MPI was humorous once in a while is like saying that mosquitos sting once in a while.

MaiTaiMan
Fleet Admiral

#1699 Post by MaiTaiMan »

This is all of course according to you. Which is fine. You like what you like. But you have nothing to back up your "iconic" claims with. :lol: As I mentioned MIAMI VICE only ran 5 seasons. Is it less iconic than the Five-Zero reboot? I think not. And you know it too. I've never heard anyone refer to the remake as iconic except you. :lol: But hey, more power to you. :wink:
It’s not just according to me, though...I have heard and read the 5-0 remake referred to as iconic—for its time, as the original 5-0 was for its time. We all know by now that you don’t like the 5-0 remake...that’s your opinion & choice to not like it. That’s fine, there’s nothing wrong with that. But, that’s not the opinion of the majority of fans of the 5-0 franchise. Just because you don’t like what I’ve said, nor resorting to insults, makes what I’ve said any less true. :wink:

Also...my “iconic” reference to the 5-0 shows had nothing to do with Miami Vice!! MV is one of the most awesome & iconic shows of the 80s! I’m a diehard fan!! Like the original “Magnum”, I grew up with MV. However, the difference between the 5-0 shows & MV is ‘changes’. MV would have most likely lasted longer than it did, but sadly constant changes of producers & writers after Season 2 caused wrong directions & bizarre/poor plots/episodes towards the end. The 5-0 shows kept the same executive producers & writers that made both popular and made the shows work.
"It was more ironic than a Robin Masters novel--she thought he was dead, he thought she was dead...and only the chauffeur knew the truth! He should have been the butler!" "Lest We Forget"

Raykv423
Lieutenant Commander

#1700 Post by Raykv423 »

okay maybe let's cool down a little, guys

MaiTaiMan
Fleet Admiral

#1701 Post by MaiTaiMan »

Raykv423 wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 8:30 am okay maybe let's cool down a little, guys
Agreed...time to move on. 8)
"It was more ironic than a Robin Masters novel--she thought he was dead, he thought she was dead...and only the chauffeur knew the truth! He should have been the butler!" "Lest We Forget"

Fleet Admiral

#1702 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

MaiTaiMan wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 5:31 am
This is all of course according to you. Which is fine. You like what you like. But you have nothing to back up your "iconic" claims with. :lol: As I mentioned MIAMI VICE only ran 5 seasons. Is it less iconic than the Five-Zero reboot? I think not. And you know it too. I've never heard anyone refer to the remake as iconic except you. :lol: But hey, more power to you. :wink:
It’s not just according to me, though...I have heard and read the 5-0 remake referred to as iconic—for its time, as the original 5-0 was for its time. We all know by now that you don’t like the 5-0 remake...that’s your opinion & choice to not like it. That’s fine, there’s nothing wrong with that. But, that’s not the opinion of the majority of fans of the 5-0 franchise. Just because you don’t like what I’ve said, nor resorting to insults, makes what I’ve said any less true. :wink:

Also...my “iconic” reference to the 5-0 shows had nothing to do with Miami Vice!! MV is one of the most awesome & iconic shows of the 80s! I’m a diehard fan!! Like the original “Magnum”, I grew up with MV. However, the difference between the 5-0 shows & MV is ‘changes’. MV would have most likely lasted longer than it did, but sadly constant changes of producers & writers after Season 2 caused wrong directions & bizarre/poor plots/episodes towards the end. The 5-0 shows kept the same executive producers & writers that made both popular and made the shows work.
Again, this is all according to you. Which is fine. Hearing or reading that someone calls something "iconic" doesn't make it so. I can go ahead and call the MPI remake "iconic" and what does that prove? We all know what truly iconic shows are. I LOVE LUCY, TWILIGHT ZONE, ALL IN THE FAMILY, COLUMBO, SEINFELD, etc. Whether you like them or not is irrelevant. They're still iconic. Part of television history. I personally have ZERO interest in STAR TREK or anything Trek related but I'd have to be ignorant or foolish to argue that it's not iconic. Look at all the Trekkies out there. Where are all those Five-Zero fans out there with their conventions and their cargo shorts trying to emulate Alex O'Loughlin? :lol: I loathe reality shows like SURVIVOR or AMERICAN IDOL but I can't deny their popularity or the fact that everyone was talking about them ad nauseam at the height of their popularity. Face it - Five-Zero came and went and nobody is talking about it except on some internet forums like these. By the way, how did the show do in the Nielsen ratings? The original Five-O was the third most watched show in America at the height of its popularity - just behind ALL IN THE FAMILY and SANFORD AND SON. Did the remake ever reach this high level? Phrases like "five-o" meaning "cops" and "book 'em Danno" are all a result of the original show and have been used for decades. The first show shot on location in Hawaii, the iconic theme song, the innovative title sequence, etc. - all very iconic for its time. The remake did nothing new that wasn't already done before in other shows. The buddy-cop thing had been around forever. Nothing new there. Lame jokes, loud explosions, and forced contrivances (Mom McGarrett working for the C.I.A. and her son Wo Fat being McGarrett's brother, anyone?) :lol: :lol: Sheesh!!

Look, I'm not trying to attack your love for the show. We love what we love. But I take issue with you labeling something iconic as if it were a given. Because according to you EVERYONE considers it iconic except me. :? Yes I don't like the show but that's not why I don't believe it's iconic. It simply isn't. Not by any measure that I have seen. Again, I don't like Star Trek but I will admit that it's iconic. If Five-Zero ever reaches even a quarter of that level of icon then let me know.

But yes we should move on.... :D

MaiTaiMan
Fleet Admiral

#1703 Post by MaiTaiMan »

I’m not going into “novel” sized posts about all of this anymore. I’ve stated before above, everything regarding all the shows we were discussing, and I still stand by that (as do many others). If you disagree with that, that’s fine. But, we’ve stated how we view the shows several times. There’s no point in continuing to beat the proverbial dead horse, and saying the same things over & over. So...time to move on. :wink:

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#1704 Post by Pahonu »

I think I regret wading into this argument already, but in looking at various synonyms for iconic, such as archetypal, epochal, and paradigmatic, I feel like a reboot can’t by definition be an archetype or paradigm shifting or the best of its epoch. It seems the original versions would have accomplished this, thereby making a reboot desirable or even plausible. No one seems to be rushing to reboot long-forgotten or poorly executed series. I also don’t feel like iconic simply means popular or well-received, though I understand that many may use the word in that way now. Just my two cents, and again, I haven’t seen more than a couple of episodes of the reboots. Sorry in advance for perhaps stirring the pot.

MaiTaiMan
Fleet Admiral

#1705 Post by MaiTaiMan »

Pahonu wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 11:10 pm I think I regret wading into this argument already, but in looking at various synonyms for iconic, such as archetypal, epochal, and paradigmatic, I feel like a reboot can’t by definition be an archetype or paradigm shifting or the best of its epoch. It seems the original versions would have accomplished this, thereby making a reboot desirable or even plausible. No one seems to be rushing to reboot long-forgotten or poorly executed series. I also don’t feel like iconic simply means popular or well-received, though I understand that many may use the word in that way now. Just my two cents, and again, I haven’t seen more than a couple of episodes of the reboots. Sorry in advance for perhaps stirring the pot.
No regrets, and no apologies necessary. :D “Iconic” can entail or encompass many aspects, and different shows can be considered or referred to as iconic for different reasons. The original shows would be iconic for reasons of their time, as are most shows that somehow obtain that “title”, so-to-speak. Most remakes never accomplish that in any way. However, most iconic shows are very popular ones, but not every popular show is considered iconic...if any of that made sense. :P

Raykv423
Lieutenant Commander

#1706 Post by Raykv423 »

in other news

I gotta ask, how the heck does McGarrett and the squad are okay with wearing suits on a hot summer day??? That would've made them very uncomfortable. I can't imagine wearing a suit on a very hot day, especially on Hawaii. That probably might cooked me alive LOL :lol:

They still look badass on suits though

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#1707 Post by Pahonu »

Raykv423 wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 7:46 am in other news

I gotta ask, how the heck does McGarrett and the squad are okay with wearing suits on a hot summer day??? That would've made them very uncomfortable. I can't imagine wearing a suit on a very hot day, especially on Hawaii. That probably might cooked me alive LOL :lol:

I’m with you. I would be miserable if I had to wear a suit everyday to work as I’m in Southern California… but people do. I think it’s people who mostly work in air conditioned offices where it’s required for reasons of formality. Still, I can think of worse places to be wearing a suit than SoCal or Hawaii, with its trade winds… the hot and humid Southern states. I’m picturing old movies depicting lawyers mopping their sweating brows with a handkerchief in a Mississippi courtroom or the like. That’s why they wore those seersucker suits and not wool in the summer. I can’t even imagine it in those pre-AC days. A fan wouldn’t do much when you wearing a full suit! Lots of iced tea and cold lemonade was probably the best they had.

MaiTaiMan
Fleet Admiral

#1708 Post by MaiTaiMan »

Pahonu wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 4:12 pm

I’m with you. I would be miserable if I had to wear a suit everyday to work as I’m in Southern California… but people do. I think it’s people who mostly work in air conditioned offices where it’s required for reasons of formality. Still, I can think of worse places to be wearing a suit than SoCal or Hawaii, with its trade winds… the hot and humid Southern states. I’m picturing old movies depicting lawyers mopping their sweating brows with a handkerchief in a Mississippi courtroom or the like. That’s why they wore those seersucker suits and not wool in the summer. I can’t even imagine it in those pre-AC days. A fan wouldn’t do much when you wearing a full suit! Lots of iced tea and cold lemonade was probably the best they had.
Yeah, I’ve read and seen old interviews with the cast of the original show, and they talked about how sweltering and miserable it was to be filming in Hawaii all day long in these heavy suits and ties, lol! But, back then it was still the style & even rule sometimes that detectives were to look “professional”, and were expected to wear suits & ties. I loved the remake wardrobe better...as they were of course more modern & allowed to wear Hawaiian shirts & jeans—which is soo much more like me, lol!

With my job, I am actually allowed to wear stuff like that to work as well, and I have lots of vintage as well as current Hawaiian shirts that I wear all spring and summer. Times change...many times not for the better, but in this wardrobe case I am glad modern times accept more comfortable things for work—especially in the summer! Where I’m at it’s getting up to 107 during the day. :x

Fleet Admiral

#1709 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

One thing that surprised me when I first visited Hawaii is that it's not nearly as hot/humid as I imagined it to be. Being close to the equator I thought it would be sweltering heat, like in the jungle. But I was surprised that it's much worse where I live in Philly on those unbearable hot/humid summer days. :lol: If you can believe that! But I think the trade winds make a huge difference. Actually on some of my walks at nighttime it was even a little chilly, if you can believe that. And this was in the summer time! So yes it can get pretty hot/humid during the daytime but surprisingly not as unbearable as I thought it would be. I would trade Philly summers for Hawaiian summers in a split second!

Raykv423
Lieutenant Commander

#1710 Post by Raykv423 »

Just seen the series finale (I tend to watch some shows out of order and it didn't ruin my perception of them) and oh wow, Khigh Dhiegh looks very young despite being 70. Dude has to be the youngest looking 70 year old haha. I thought he's like 50.

Still have a long way with the original Five-0 but to be honest, the conclusion felt pretty lackluster but action scenes are really fantastic. I guess the crew giving it all with Jack Lord being diagnosed with Alzheimer's (idk if he's planning to retire before his diagnosis or his diagnosis is the reason for his eventual retirement) and the fact this is the series finale, which I don't blame them for. Still a decent episode overall despite the conclusion being lacking.

Now on to more Five-0.....

Also I might misinterpret it but I get the feeling that Jack and Khigh's smile at the last scene are a subtle way of saying goodbye to not just to viewers but to each other after 12 years. I'm sure they have a professional mutual respect for each other.