Hawaii Five-O: Any Fans?

1948-present

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Raykv423
Lieutenant Commander

Re: Hawaii Five-O: Any Fans?

#1681 Post by Raykv423 »

I'm aware of the existence of both the original and the reboot and even the catchphrase "book 'em, Danno" for a long time but I actually never seen both of them until this year. I even started watching the OG Five-0 for the first time last week. 13 episodes in and I'm already loving it so far. :D I also like the reboot as well. I'm normally a bit apprehensive when it comes to reboots but I thought it's actually pretty good and I like they put it in a different (and more modern) spin. Still prefer the original over the reboot though.

For the record, I wasn't even born yet when the original Five-0 was still on the air until 24 years after it ended.

MaiTaiMan
Fleet Admiral

#1682 Post by MaiTaiMan »

Raykv423 wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 3:39 am I'm aware of the existence of both the original and the reboot and even the catchphrase "book 'em, Danno" for a long time but I actually never seen both of them until this year. I even started watching the OG Five-0 for the first time last week. 13 episodes in and I'm already loving it so far. :D I also like the reboot as well. I'm normally a bit apprehensive when it comes to reboots but I thought it's actually pretty good and I like they put it in a different (and more modern) spin. Still prefer the original over the reboot though.

For the record, I wasn't even born yet when the original Five-0 was still on the air until 24 years after it ended.
I was born probably around Season 9 of the original series, so I never really watched it during its original run. But, when I was older I started watching reruns & was immediately hooked!! It was an amazing show, and was the longest running crime/cop/mystery show until 1996, when Murder She Wrote tied it with 12 seasons as well. Then in 2003, the original Law & Order passed both up with its 13th season. Of course the L&O spin-off SVU has surpassed them all and is somehow, miraculously still on. :P

But, I too hardly ever like a remake of a past popular TV show or movie...but the 5-0 remake was a true superb exception! I loved it...it was amazing as well, and brought the franchise into modern times, but purposely had many tributes/odes & proverbial “easter eggs” towards the original series! There’s enough room, so-to-speak, to love & enjoy both shows. I have the entire complete series of both shows on DVD, and I love going through them every few years. :)
"It was more ironic than a Robin Masters novel--she thought he was dead, he thought she was dead...and only the chauffeur knew the truth! He should have been the butler!" "Lest We Forget"

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

#1683 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Raykv423 wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 3:39 am I'm aware of the existence of both the original and the reboot and even the catchphrase "book 'em, Danno" for a long time but I actually never seen both of them until this year. I even started watching the OG Five-0 for the first time last week. 13 episodes in and I'm already loving it so far. :D I also like the reboot as well. I'm normally a bit apprehensive when it comes to reboots but I thought it's actually pretty good and I like they put it in a different (and more modern) spin. Still prefer the original over the reboot though.

You're just like T.Q. (maybe he can chime in here :)) - he also had never seen the original and started watching the original classic from the very beginning and after just a few episodes he was pretty much hooked and kept going until the very end, until the season 12 finale! :shock: If you go back a few pages on this thread you will see our back-and-forth as he goes through each episode, giving his thoughts on each episode. That was fun! You can do the same if you want to. :D

So you were born 24 years after the show ended?? Born in 2004?? Wow, at 19 you're probably the youngest member on these boards! :) Welcome! Nice to see someone so young appreciate a true classic over the remake. I was born in 1980, right between the end of the classic Five-O and the start of MAGNUM PI. Personally I hated the remake, as I do all remakes. In fact I preferred the MPI remake over the Five-0 remake because at least the silliness in the MPI remake made sense considering the original was a pretty lighthearted and often silly show (but done much better of course!) whereas the original Five-O was a very serious show and NOTHING like what they did with the remake. Why bother calling it a remake or calling it Five-0 when it has ZERO in common with the original show? Call it whatever you want but don't call it Five-0 because it ain't Five-0. There's nothing serious about the show. It's like a frat party! They even remade the classic "Hookman" episode, a scene-by-scene recreation and they still managed to screw it up!! Amazing! :shock: :roll:

MaiTaiMan
Fleet Admiral

#1684 Post by MaiTaiMan »

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 3:48 pm

You're just like T.Q. (maybe he can chime in here :)) - he also had never seen the original and started watching the original classic from the very beginning and after just a few episodes he was pretty much hooked and kept going until the very end, until the season 12 finale! :shock: If you go back a few pages on this thread you will see our back-and-forth as he goes through each episode, giving his thoughts on each episode. That was fun! You can do the same if you want to. :D

So you were born 24 years after the show ended?? Born in 2004?? Wow, at 19 you're probably the youngest member on these boards! :) Welcome! Nice to see someone so young appreciate a true classic over the remake. I was born in 1980, right between the end of the classic Five-O and the start of MAGNUM PI. Personally I hated the remake, as I do all remakes. In fact I preferred the MPI remake over the Five-0 remake because at least the silliness in the MPI remake made sense considering the original was a pretty lighthearted and often silly show (but done much better of course!) whereas the original Five-O was a very serious show and NOTHING like what they did with the remake. Why bother calling it a remake or calling it Five-0 when it has ZERO in common with the original show? Call it whatever you want but don't call it Five-0 because it ain't Five-0. There's nothing serious about the show. It's like a frat party! They even remade the classic "Hookman" episode, a scene-by-scene recreation and they still managed to screw it up!! Amazing! :shock: :roll:
I was born in 1976...so I didn’t get to really see the original 5-0 while it was originally on, but I discovered it in reruns. But, I did get to see the original (and real) “Magnum”. I’m sorry but the remake of it was garbage!! :x It was ridiculous! The original Magnum was not pure goofiness. It had some humor once in a while, but it was more serious & relatable overall. The remake also had horrible casting, and it could barely stay on—even switching networks before finally getting canceled. Sadly it was an embarrassment to the “Magnum” franchise. :(

The 5-0 remake was amazing!! The casting was perfect, it brought the 5-0 franchise to modern times, but it had many purposely done tributes to the original show—including an original cast member having a recurring role, the son of another original cast member also having a regular role, Jack Lord’s original 1974 Mercury Marquis that still exists & is still owned by Lord’s stunt double was showcased in several episodes, and remakes of “Hookman” & “Cocoon”...both were superb & respectful nods to the original episodes. Even the original writers from the original episodes were brought in to help with the remakes. The 2010 5-0 was the best remake I’ve ever seen (as I too hardly ever like remakes of past popular things)...and that’s why it lasted as long as it did. They actually wanted it to go longer, but Alex O’Loughlin & Scott Caan were wanting to spend more time with their families, and the stunts were starting to take a toll on their bodies.

5-0 is one of the few franchises that had both a hugely popular original series, as well as a hugely popular remake. I love and have both...but I will never have the Magnum remake! It should have never been made.
"It was more ironic than a Robin Masters novel--she thought he was dead, he thought she was dead...and only the chauffeur knew the truth! He should have been the butler!" "Lest We Forget"

Fleet Admiral

#1685 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

MaiTaiMan wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 4:20 pm The original Magnum was not pure goofiness. It had some humor once in a while, but it was more serious & relatable overall.
It had some humor once in a while??? That's actually really funny!!! :lol: That's something you could say about the original Five-O but definitely not MPI. MPI was well known for its humor and it had plenty of humor in pretty much every episode. So there's no way you can say that it had humor once in a while. It had a few very serious episodes - that's something you can definitely say. But you can't say that it had a few humorous episodes. :lol: That's why we revisit the show all these years later - because we love it's lighthearted breezy atmosphere which starkly contrasts with all the grim and dark stuff that's on TV these days.

Yes the remake was pathetic - right down to the writing and the casting. A female Higgins? Gag! A Hispanic Magnum? Gag! PC everywhere! I watched a few episodes and bailed. But what I did like about it more than the pathetic Five-0 remake is that at least it had a more low-key approach to solving cases. No stupid guns blazing everywhere and explosions that rock half the island. :roll: And the humor was at least more in line with what the original show was about - lots of humor and fun. What did the "humor" in the Five-Zero remake have to do with the original show???? Why are 2 cops who are representing the elite state police unit zipping at high speed through Honolulu while having idiotic bickering about idiotic nonsense ("you're too demanding, you're too controlling, you have anger issues, you left the toilet seat up last night, my dog hates you, your breath stinks"). Do you really think this is good dialogue??? This is what makes for a brilliant remake?? :roll: This is something that belongs in a HANGOVER movie, not a remake of a classic 70s cop show. Or how about 3 dudes and a chick running roughshod through Honolulu with automatic weapons blazing everywhere like they're a SEAL commando unit in the deserts of Afghanistan?? This is a remake that is faithful to the original??? Really???? :shock: Even Scott Caan himself admitted that it was all a painful experience - same cookie-cutter nonsense every week! And that he didn't know what he signed up for when he originally joined the show.

Bottom line - both remakes were terrible but I will maintain that at least MPI was closer in spirit to what it was emulating whereas Five-Zero was NOTHING like the original. If they were going for a HOT FUZZ vibe with Five-Zero then it would make sense. But otherwise I don't know what they were aiming for.

MaiTaiMan
Fleet Admiral

#1686 Post by MaiTaiMan »

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 4:58 pm
MaiTaiMan wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 4:20 pm The original Magnum was not pure goofiness. It had some humor once in a while, but it was more serious & relatable overall.
It had some humor once in a while??? That's actually really funny!!! :lol: That's something you could say about the original Five-O but definitely not MPI. MPI was well known for its humor and it had plenty of humor in pretty much every episode. So there's no way you can say that it had humor once in a while. It had a few very serious episodes - that's something you can definitely say. But you can't say that it had a few humorous episodes. :lol: That's why we revisit the show all these years later - because we love it's lighthearted breezy atmosphere which starkly contrasts with all the grim and dark stuff that's on TV these days.

Yes the remake was pathetic - right down to the writing and the casting. A female Higgins? Gag! A Hispanic Magnum? Gag! PC everywhere! I watched a few episodes and bailed. But what I did like about it more than the pathetic Five-0 remake is that at least it had a more low-key approach to solving cases. No stupid guns blazing everywhere and explosions that rock half the island. :roll: And the humor was at least more in line with what the original show was about - lots of humor and fun. What did the "humor" in the Five-Zero remake have to do with the original show???? Why are 2 cops who are representing the elite state police unit zipping at high speed through Honolulu while having idiotic bickering about idiotic nonsense ("you're too demanding, you're too controlling, you have anger issues, you left the toilet seat up last night, my dog hates you, your breath stinks"). Do you really think this is good dialogue??? This is what makes for a brilliant remake?? :roll: This is something that belongs in a HANGOVER movie, not a remake of a classic 70s cop show. Or how about 3 dudes and a chick running roughshod through Honolulu with automatic weapons blazing everywhere like they're a SEAL commando unit in the deserts of Afghanistan?? This is a remake that is faithful to the original??? Really???? :shock: Even Scott Caan himself admitted that it was all a painful experience - same cookie-cutter nonsense every week! And that he didn't know what he signed up for when he originally joined the show.

Bottom line - both remakes were terrible but I will maintain that at least MPI was closer in spirit to what it was emulating whereas Five-Zero was NOTHING like the original. If they were going for a HOT FUZZ vibe with Five-Zero then it would make sense. But otherwise I don't know what they were aiming for.
Respectfully disagree...the original Magnum had some humor woven in, but it also was serious. It wasn’t goofy silliness throughout each episode. There were many serious topics & episodes. It wasn’t idiocy, like the remake. That’s why the remake struggled most of the time it was in production, and couldn’t even stay on the same network.

The original 5-0 was made to be a “serious” cop show for its time, true. But, looking back now the dialogue is pretty “Dragnet-ish”, and short, blunt statements. That part was not actually realistic from a modern standpoint (it wasn't back then either, but it was more accepted on TV back then as “serious”).

The remake did do its own thing with some aspects, including more humor & light heartedness...it wasn’t a literal re-do of the original show. It was a re-envision of the 5-0 idea. McGarrett & Danno were supposed to be best friends & like brothers (unlike the original series where they were more a boss & his employee). So, they included more humorous goading & joking bickering back and forth. There was a lot more character depth than in the original show, too. You actually got to know the characters, their backstories, and who they were.

Basically, both styles worked for both shows, in both of their times. I’m sorry, but the 5-0 remake was very popular, and the majority of fans did not think it was terrible...unlike the Magnum remake. That’s why both 5-0 shows lasted for as long as they did.

Fleet Admiral

#1687 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

MaiTaiMan wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 5:39 pm
ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 4:58 pm

Respectfully disagree...the original Magnum had some humor woven in, but it also was serious. It wasn’t goofy silliness throughout each episode. There were many serious topics & episodes. It wasn’t idiocy, like the remake. That’s why the remake struggled most of the time it was in production, and couldn’t even stay on the same network.

The original 5-0 was made to be a “serious” cop show for its time, true. But, looking back now the dialogue is pretty “Dragnet-ish”, and short, blunt statements. That part was not actually realistic from a modern standpoint (it wasn't back then either, but it was more accepted on TV back then as “serious”).

The remake did do its own thing with some aspects, including more humor & light heartedness...it wasn’t a literal re-do of the original show. It was a re-envision of the 5-0 idea. McGarrett & Danno were supposed to be best friends & like brothers (unlike the original series where they were more a boss & his employee). So, they included more humorous goading & joking bickering back and forth. There was a lot more character depth than in the original show, too. You actually got to know the characters, their backstories, and who they were.

Basically, both styles worked for both shows, in both of their times. I’m sorry, but the 5-0 remake was very popular, and the majority of fans did not think it was terrible...unlike the Magnum remake. That’s why both 5-0 shows lasted for as long as they did.
I guess we'll have to disagree. I rewatched MPI season 3 a few months back and aside from the very serious "Did You See the Sunrise?" the remainder of the episodes had loads of humor in EVERY episode. Even something like "Forty Years from Sand Island" that you would have expected to be more serious (dealing with WWII and internment of Japanese Americans) had plenty of humor, including one of the funniest scenes in the series of Higgy's wheelchair losing control and going down the hill outside the hospital with Higgy yelling "OHHHH MYYYYYYY GOOOOODDDD!!!" :lol: We can debate about the writing of both shows (the remake is sorely lacking in this department of course) but MPI was a very humorous show!

As for Five-Zero being a successful remake because it stayed on the air for 10 years that means nothing. Plenty of crap shows stay on the air while quality shows get taken down. The Honeymooners was on the air for only one season (the classic 39 episodes) yet it's a TV classic! By that same logic you could argue that the MPI remake was at least semi-successful because it stayed on the air for 5 seasons (or is it 6?) instead of being axed immediately. But we both know that none of that means anything. THE EQUALIZER ran for only 4 seasons. SPENSER: FOR HIRE ran only 3 seasons. Your own MIAMI VICE which you love also only lasted 5 seasons. Does that mean these shows are even worse than the MPI remake? :shock: Why didn't they run for 10 seasons or longer? Also I don't know how popular Five-Zero was because in the 10 years it was on I never heard anyone talk about it. Not once! I don't mean on internet forums but in the outside world. Game of Thrones, Marvel, Breaking Bad, etc. is all people ever talked about. Not once did I hear someone say "Did you watch Five-0 last night?". I dunno... maybe folks don't watch network TV anymore. But on the other hand I heard plenty of talk about "Big Bang Theory" which IS a network show. Hmmm... :roll:

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#1688 Post by Pahonu »

I can’t argue about the relative comparisons of the reboots to the original series for the two shows as I didn’t watch either reboot beyond the first few episodes. I can argue that the original MPI had humorous subplots in most of the episodes, with a smaller number that were entirely serious. Think of the Horace the goat subplot in Dead Man’s Channel, or “Punky” in Mr. White Death, or TM borrowing and returning a too small jacket to TC in No Need to Know. These are just a few that come to mind. I think more episodes had these humorous bits than didn’t. Plus there are TM’s smirks into the camera, Rick getting beaten up by nuns, Higgins droning stories. There’s a lot of humor and light-heartedness there. In fact it’s the entirely serious episodes that stand out to me as unusual. I find that I tend to watch these serious episodes far less. Even the very serious Death and Taxes has TM dealing with an IRS audit and his friends making fun of his “filing system”. It’s even humorous that he struggles to say the word, “…..audit!” There, I said it! :magnum:

Pahonu

#1689 Post by Pahonu »

Sorry for the multiple posts. :oops:
Last edited by Pahonu on Wed Jul 26, 2023 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pahonu

#1690 Post by Pahonu »

Ditto
Last edited by Pahonu on Wed Jul 26, 2023 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MaiTaiMan
Fleet Admiral

#1691 Post by MaiTaiMan »

I stand by what I’ve said regarding both the original & remakes of the 5-0 & Magnum shows...both 5-0s were amazing & were very popular and iconic with fans. That is why they lasted as long as they did. Only the original Magnum is awesome & definitely iconic for its time, as well. The remake was a disaster and it did not last that long, nor will it be remembered in a positive way or ever be considered iconic. And these views are by no means just mine. :wink: But, everyone has their likes & dislikes...to each his or her own. 8)

Aloha Friday
Admiral

#1692 Post by Aloha Friday »

I liked both the original 5-0 and the reboot. It was kind of like the Bond movies Sean Connery was great as Bond, Roger Moore played it completely different...both were successful and reflective of the times.
Aloha Friday
Tidewater, Virginia

MaiTaiMan
Fleet Admiral

#1693 Post by MaiTaiMan »

Aloha Friday wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 11:19 pm I liked both the original 5-0 and the reboot. It was kind of like the Bond movies Sean Connery was great as Bond, Roger Moore played it completely different...both were successful and reflective of the times.
Totally agree...perfectly stated & good analogies! :D Although I loved Roger Moore as Bond, too, lol! :wink:

Raykv423
Lieutenant Commander

#1694 Post by Raykv423 »

Aloha Friday wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 11:19 pm I liked both the original 5-0 and the reboot. It was kind of like the Bond movies Sean Connery was great as Bond, Roger Moore played it completely different...both were successful and reflective of the times.
Yep. Jack Lord and Alex McLoughlin are really great, as do James MacArthur and Scott Caan :D

Man, it did make me wonder if Jack and James lived long enough to be see the reboot and what are their thoughts on it. Would be interesting to see the OG McGarrett and Danno meeting the reboot McGarrett and Danno. Shame that never happened since Jack and James are now long gone now, especially with Jack got diagnosed with Alzheimer's during the original Five-0's final season

MaiTaiMan
Fleet Admiral

#1695 Post by MaiTaiMan »

Raykv423 wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 11:40 pm
Yep. Jack Lord and Alex McLoughlin are really great, as do James MacArthur and Scott Caan :D

Man, it did make me wonder if Jack and James lived long enough to be see the reboot and what are their thoughts on it. Would be interesting to see the OG McGarrett and Danno meeting the reboot McGarrett and Danno. Shame that never happened since Jack and James are now long gone now, especially with Jack got diagnosed with Alzheimer's during the original Five-0's final season
Yes, Jack is rumored to have started showing signs of the disease even during the final season. His wife denied the disease for years, but eventually it was revealed he did in fact have Alzheimer’s. He died in 1998. James MacArthur was supposed to originally have cameo appearances on the remake, but sadly he died of cancer around the time the remake premiered, 2010. :(

But, Al Harrington was able to have a recurring role, as was Kam Fong’s son—as Duke on the remake. :)