Hawaii Five-O: Any Fans?

1948-present

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

Re: Hawaii Five-O: Any Fans?

#571 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

T.Q. wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 10:20 pm
IvanTheTerrible wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 7:27 pm I thought T.Q. decided to rewatch season 2. :D

But I see it's Kee. :) It's a very good episode indeed, with a particularly great score by Richard Shores! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntzHypZ-gPc
Update.

Season 5 delayed.

I'm a creature of habit and watched 1-4 while doing my weights.

Unfortunately, I got diagnosed with R/A a while back and it's attacking my back so I have been sidelined. :cry:

If I can't resolve it a bit in the next little while... I will resume my watching sitting in a chair getting fat though. :?
Sorry to hear that, T.Q.

R/A - is that rheumatoid arthritis?

I hope it wasn't my bamboo cage that done it. :?

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#572 Post by T.Q. »

Thanks Ivan.

Yeah, rheumatoid arthritis.

All new to me.

Going to Florida in a couple weeks to see a rheumatologist.

Hope he can help.

If it’s true weather makes it flare up I definitely must stay out of the bamboo cage in the pouring rain.
Knocking my rubber chicken or my sloppy habits is within the rules, but you're attacking my character. I would like to think you don't mean that.

Fleet Admiral

#573 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Hope you get better.

But why go all the way to Florida to see a rheumatologist? You guys don't have someone there in the Bahamas? Sounds like a lengthy trip to see a doctor.

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#574 Post by Pahonu »

I guy that I used to talk to at the gym lived on Grand Bahama for a few years. He worked in pharmaceuticals, which I had no idea was an industry on the islands. Anyway, he said it was less than 70 miles to Florida from that Island. I understand they stretch for several hundred miles though. I remember talking with him about the Panama Papers at the time. Which island are you on TQ, if you don’t mind me asking? A former colleague did a lot of sailing in the area about 15 years ago, and told some cool stories. I never forgot about the swimming pigs. Exumas I think?

Mad Kudu Buck
Fleet Admiral

#575 Post by Mad Kudu Buck »

Last edited by Mad Kudu Buck on Fri Mar 12, 2021 7:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#576 Post by T.Q. »

IvanTheTerrible wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 4:18 pm Hope you get better.

But why go all the way to Florida to see a rheumatologist? You guys don't have someone there in the Bahamas? Sounds like a lengthy trip to see a doctor.
No rheumatologist on the Island.

Even if there were my insurance paying so why not Cleveland Clinic right?

Wifey and I time our big shopping trips around things (she needs dermatologist few time a year and none here either) and we like to go to Florida 2 or 3 times a year anyway.

Plus I been stuck here for a year due to Covid.

Going stir crazy.
Last edited by T.Q. on Thu Mar 11, 2021 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Knocking my rubber chicken or my sloppy habits is within the rules, but you're attacking my character. I would like to think you don't mean that.

Fleet Admiral

#577 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Mad Kudu Buck wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 6:14 pm
Pahonu wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 5:17 pmHe worked in pharmaceuticals, which I had no idea was an industry on the islands.
For some (unknown) reason, there are plenty of pharmaceutical companies based in the Caribbean. (..to bypass US laws?) Pre-2001, I had to fly to Puerto Rico, to visit a pharmaceutical company as a one-man installation and technical "troubleshooter". On arrival at the company, they asked me to declare my handguns. As a Canadian (refused any possession of hand guns), I laughed in their faces. They weren't amused. (...and at that moment, I so dearly wanted a handgun... :wink: ) Besides that, all I remember is the lizard in my hotel room and the wonderfully non-low-flow showers. (...that damn Agenda-21 hadn't yet reached them)

How could a young guy like TQ get arthritis? I've been cracking my knuckles for decades and I still don't have arthritis. (they all used to say, "Don't do that or you'll get arthritis!")
I see you're an IT man, Buck. Or were. Like myself. :D Us conservative IT curmudgeons gotta stick togedda, bruddah!

I was in Honolulu for the first time ever back in 2008. Doing installation at Tripler Army Hospital for their billing/claims system. It's that beautiful pink building up on a hill. Seen both on Five-O and MPI. It was a pure stroke of luck that I just happened to land a new job here in Philly and within 3 months they were sending me to Hawaii of all places!! :D A dream come true for a huge Five-O fan like myself! I can tell you that installation wasn't on my mind. First things running through my head were how can I catch as many of the sites as I can that I remember from the show! Driving into the heart of Waikiki and passing the Ilikia Hotel I immediately recognized it as the one where Jack Lord stood up on the penthouse balcony in the opening intro. Of course then seeing Diamond Head and the Ala Wai Canal right next to my hotel. Sweet memories!! That was a 2 week stay. And then a few months later I was sent again for over a month. Enjoyed every second of it! Then went back again 10 years later in 2018. Not business this time. Pleasure. :D Well, first time was pleasure too. :wink: Kinda hard to keep your head on work when there's always something to see and somewhere to go.

Tripler Army Hospital: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tripler_A ... l_view.jpg
Last edited by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) on Thu Mar 11, 2021 9:05 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Kee
Lieutenant

#578 Post by Kee »

IvanTheTerrible wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 7:27 pm I thought T.Q. decided to rewatch season 2. :D

But I see it's Kee. :) It's a very good episode indeed, with a particularly great score by Richard Shores! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntzHypZ-gPc
It really is a great score to go along with a good episode.

Now I am sure you all know this but to a non-expert like myself I thought it was very interesting that at the beginning of this episode where all the scientists gathered outside and where we first saw Dr. Lochner and his daughter that was filmed at the same house that Magnum was filmed at. So it was a nice tie-in to the show.

And Mr. TQ i hope you feel better very soon.

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#579 Post by T.Q. »

Kee wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 8:55 pm

It really is a great score to go along with a good episode.

Now I am sure you all know this but to a non-expert like myself I thought it was very interesting that at the beginning of this episode where all the scientists gathered outside and where we first saw Dr. Lochner and his daughter that was filmed at the same house that Magnum was filmed at. So it was a nice tie-in to the show.

And Mr. TQ i hope you feel better very soon.
Thanks Kee. <3

Kee
Lieutenant

#580 Post by Kee »

Trouble in Mind (Season 3, Episode 2) One of the best episodes of the series.

Hank the drummer is played by composer Morton Stevens. He’s the man who wrote the famous Five-O Theme.

For his trouble, Kono gets bashed in the head for finding drugs in the car.

Singer Eadie Jordan played by Nancy Wilson

Chin Ho spots something on Harry Partch’s chair.

And he finds heroin in the wall.

Meet America’s youngest heroin dealer.

McGarrett finally figures out that it is Eadie Jordan who is the addict and not Mike Martin (Harry Guardino.)

Eadie finally finds someone who can give her what she needs to get by.

McGarrett finds the source of the bad heroin...

...but he and Martin are unable to save Eadie.

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#581 Post by T.Q. »

I'm back in the saddle again
Out where a friend is a friend

Death Is a Company Policy in HD.

Good episode. Great beginning.

Enjoyed being introduced to Ben.

Some great lines in the episode too.
Chin Ho: You just dropping in for a visit, bruddah?
Ben: We Polynesians gotta move fast if we wanna catch any sharks, bruddah.

Manoa: For once, why don't you put the numbers away, and think about me as a man?
Miss Simpson: [Sarcastically] I already have... And I became violently ill.
Bit cheesy ending but enjoyed when the lawyer figured out that McGarrett and the boys already figured it out.

Loved the last Duke scene.

Do we see more of him now?

Fleet Admiral

#582 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Hey Kee, that's a great episode indeed. Many years ago I thought it was just alright (thought it was just an episode about a junkie and bad junk floating around, which isn't really my thing) but it gets better with each rewatch. It's pretty hard-hitting and edgy (especially with the little kid junk pusher!!) and the twist as to who the real addict is and the sad ending where our guys arrive on the scene too late - powerful conclusion! Also Milton Selzer is outstanding as the spaced-out junk peddler whose rat poison is the reason for all the deaths. His scenes with Eadie are pretty amazing!

T.Q. didn't care for this episode. His loss. Same with "No Bottles, No Cans, No People". Bigger loss. :P

Fleet Admiral

#583 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

T.Q. wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 8:46 pm I'm back in the saddle again
Out where a friend is a friend

Death Is a Company Policy in HD.

Good episode. Great beginning.

Enjoyed being introduced to Ben.

Some great lines in the episode too.
Chin Ho: You just dropping in for a visit, bruddah?
Ben: We Polynesians gotta move fast if we wanna catch any sharks, bruddah.

Manoa: For once, why don't you put the numbers away, and think about me as a man?
Miss Simpson: [Sarcastically] I already have... And I became violently ill.
Bit cheesy ending but enjoyed when the lawyer figured out that McGarrett and the boys already figured it out.

Loved the last Duke scene.

Do we see more of him now?
Back in the saddle! :D

I love this episode! Great way to open a new season and to introduce new characters. John Manicote (Glenn Cannon) really comes into his own here and we are introduced to both Ben Kokua and Edward "Duke" Lukela. Kokua in Hawaiian means to offer help, but really it's the spirit of generosity. Love the whole setup and conspiracy with Duke being the patsy and with the syndicate having put their own man into the D.A.'s office. Michael Ansara is good as Manoa (he was married to Barbara Eden of JEANNIE fame and appeared on that show a few times) and yes I love him coming onto "miss ice cubes" (LOL) and her shooting him down! Or when he tells the squirrely Runny Grose that "we don't like negative numbers" which means his time is up. Next we find him dead. Great lines! Great music by Morton Stevens too, especially the opening after Manoa dumps the body in the barrel into the ocean and we transition to McGarrett and team arriving at the Governor's office (State Capitol Building). Has that 70s Lalo Schifrin vibe to it!

Yes, you definitely see more of Duke now. He'll be regularly providing assistance as a member of the HPD. It won't be until season 8 when he gets out of the HPD uniform and into a regular Five-O suit. :) But this is probably the best story involving Duke and Herman's best performance. You can really feel the emotion here and I'm reminded of Kam Fong stretching his emotional chops back in season 2's "Cry, Lie" where Chin was also being set up and had to turn in his badge.

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#584 Post by T.Q. »

Good recap and observations.

Always look forward to your take.

Hurt my thumb yesterday (arthritis moving into hands???). Huge pain. Can't grip today. :x

My weight days may be in my past.

I for sure now will have to adjust and get used to watching Hawaii Five-0 sitting in my recliner getting fat. :cry:

Fleet Admiral

#585 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Oh that's a bummer, T.Q. :( Hope you get through it somehow. I wouldn't worry about lifting weights. Just take care of your health and get better. That's most important. I'm reminded of Jack Lord's daily routine of jogging every single morning (very early!!) before going to the set to work. He was a creature of habit and very disciplined. All that exercise to stay in shape and to stay healthy and yet arthritis had already started setting in by the show's 12th season. Some accounts say that it was also around that time that he started suffering from Alzheimer's (early stages I'm sure). You could tell that he was reading from cue cards in certain scenes as he started having difficulty remembering his lines. He was only 59. So exercise is good but sometimes it's best to take it easy and not overdo it. In fact in Lord's case I'm sure all that jogging actually took a toll on his knees and brought on the arthritis. He died at 77, not exactly a very old age, especially for someone who took care of himself the way he did. Didn't smoke or drink either from what I understand.

Bottom line - don't worry about the weight lifting. Not worth it. Take it easy and just take care of yourself. I just hit 40 and growing my belly muscle too so you're not alone. :) I haven't jogged in over a year now and I used to do it at least a few times a week!