Mannix

1948-present

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

Re: Mannix

#91 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

Pahonu wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 1:35 am
Luther's nephew Dobie wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 5:19 am I posted the following on another thread, on reflection it belongs here:

Luther's nephew Dobie wrote: ↑Thu Jan 13, 2022 9:59 pm

For the many Mannix fans here, they can enjoy a Mannix episode from 1973 and it's sequel/resolution of the same case 24 years later on Diagnosis: Murder.
The 1973 Mannix episode "Little Girl Lost"(season 7 episode 4) is going to be shown Tuesday, January 18 at 2:05 AM on MeTV.
Hallmark Movies & Mysteries channel runs Diagnosis: Murder every day from 11:00 AM to 2:00 PM.
So in a few short weeks they will be up to 1997's "Hard Boiled Murder", (season 4 episode 17), the sequel or crossover episode with Connors again as Mannix, working on the "Little Girl Lost" case.
Actors Beverly Garland, Julie Adams and Pernell Roberts reprise their roles from the original as well.
These shows will be a hoot to record and then sit down to watch both, a quarter of a century between the two.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Post by Luther's nephew Dobie » Tue Feb 08, 2022 11:08 pm

Hi Guys,
Today I watched the original Mannix episode and the Diagnosis: Murder reworked sequel. This was not a case of exactly continuing the Mannix script but rather harvesting it's bones
and visual footage to fashion a new retro episode. And unlike the Magnum/Murder She Wrote effort, this one works, with a twist ending that you will never see coming.
Diagnosis's writers made changes to the flashback footage from Mannix through clever editing.
Thus bad guy Leon the Chauffeur was now the murdered reporter Lou Reynold's assistant. Leon didn't benefit from the change even if
originally he was given cement overshoes and chucked into the Pacific.
This time he did a involuntary Brody and was chucked off an apartment terrace.
These changes don't hurt one's enjoyment as you can appreciate the artful way the writers pulled this off 24 years after the original story.
Besides, it works.
All the actors seemed to be up for this effort, Dick Van Dyke and Mike Connors worked well together.
Connors is heavier but still game and he does seem to be having a good time. He gets the last line, which is humorous, maybe a first for Joe Mannix?
The normal aging process was most noticeable with Beverley Garland(best known for My Three Sons).
For a woman who specialized in playing sexy blonde parts who drew focus from every other female in a given scene, the 24 year contrast was striking.
I am not being ageist or insensitive, rather it really hits home when you watch these episodes together and see how the passage of time took
Beverley on, as well as Mike Connors, Pernell Roberts and Julie Adams.
In any event this was a pretty good swan song for tough guy dick Joe Mannix. Too bad he never showed up on Magnum PI.
I watched both episodes this afternoon. I had actually seen the Mannix episode before but didn’t remember it by the description. I’m not a huge fan but have seen several episodes. The Diagnosis Murder episode was very clever in its use of the old story and footage. There have been more than a few episodes of other series I have watched that refer to old crimes like this, but they create the flashback scenes. This was far better, especially after just watching the original.
I didn’t recognize the young doctor on the DM episode. When I crewed it was Scott Baio. He wasn’t particularly friendly nor was Barry Ban Dyke. I talked a bit with Victoria Rowell who was very nice and I actually had several conversations with Dick Van Dyke as well. He was such an old pro and so at ease you could tell he enjoyed himself on set. I particularly remember talking with him on an episode near Christmas that was filmed partly at the Wilshire Ebell Theater. He mentioned a Christmas Story with Peter Billingsly as a favorite of his and I chimed in how much I liked it too. Many on set had never heard of it. This was about a decade after it debuted but before it was played every Christmas.
Hi Pahonu,
I was waiting to see what your informed opinion would be, as someone who was in the industry and was glad you liked what you saw.
As Van Dyke is on my list of 5 favorite actors, I am now officially insanely jealous that you met him.
Buffalo Bob Smith swearing me in as a member of the Peanut Gallery back in the 90's just ain't cutting it anymore when I think
"Pahonu met Dick Van Dyke!" :D
Not surprised to hear about Baio, anytime I run across his name people are complaining what a jerk he is.

I think I mentioned it before but my Mom went to Hammond High with Jean Shepherd, author of A Christmas Story.
"Ralphie" was a stand in for Shep, Flick and the rest of the kids are in my Mom's yearbook, which Shep signed.
As you noted Christmas Story wasn't a hit till years later through repeated viewings on TV.
Same thing for that other holiday classic It's A Wonderful Life.
Maybe Santa Claus Conquers The Martians(1964) still has a shot at becoming a heralded holiday standby.

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

#92 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Luther's nephew Dobie wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 5:19 am I posted the following on another thread, on reflection it belongs here:

For the many Mannix fans here, they can enjoy a Mannix episode from 1973 and it's sequel/resolution of the same case 24 years later on Diagnosis: Murder.
The 1973 Mannix episode "Little Girl Lost"(season 7 episode 4) is going to be shown Tuesday, January 18 at 2:05 AM on MeTV.
Hallmark Movies & Mysteries channel runs Diagnosis: Murder every day from 11:00 AM to 2:00 PM.
So in a few short weeks they will be up to 1997's "Hard Boiled Murder", (season 4 episode 17), the sequel or crossover episode with Connors again as Mannix, working on the "Little Girl Lost" case.
Actors Beverly Garland, Julie Adams and Pernell Roberts reprise their roles from the original as well.
These shows will be a hoot to record and then sit down to watch both, a quarter of a century between the two.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Guys,
Today I watched the original Mannix episode and the Diagnosis: Murder reworked sequel. This was not a case of exactly continuing the Mannix script but rather harvesting it's bones
and visual footage to fashion a new retro episode. And unlike the Magnum/Murder She Wrote effort, this one works, with a twist ending that you will never see coming.
Diagnosis's writers made changes to the flashback footage from Mannix through clever editing.
Thus bad guy Leon the Chauffeur was now the murdered reporter Lou Reynold's assistant. Leon didn't benefit from the change even if
These changes don't hurt one's enjoyment as you can appreciate the artful way the writers pulled this off 24 years after the original story.
Besides, it works.
All the actors seemed to be up for this effort, Dick Van Dyke and Mike Connors worked well together.
Connors is heavier but still game and he does seem to be having a good time. He gets the last line, which is humorous, maybe a first for Joe Mannix?
The normal aging process was most noticeable with Beverley Garland(best known for My Three Sons).
For a woman who specialized in playing sexy blonde parts who drew focus from every other female in a given scene, the 24 year contrast was striking.
I am not being ageist or insensitive, rather it really hits home when you watch these episodes together and see how the passage of time took
In any event this was a pretty good swan song for tough guy dick Joe Mannix. Too bad he never showed up on Magnum PI.
I watched both episodes this afternoon. I had actually seen the Mannix episode before but didn’t remember it by the description. I’m not a huge fan but have seen several episodes. The Diagnosis Murder episode was very clever in its use of the old story and footage. There have been more than a few episodes of other series I have watched that refer to old crimes like this, but they create the flashback scenes. This was far better, especially after just watching the original.

I didn’t recognize the young doctor on the DM episode. When I crewed it was Scott Baio. He wasn’t particularly friendly nor was Barry Ban Dyke. I talked a bit with Victoria Rowell who was very nice and I actually had several conversations with Dick Van Dyke as well. He was such an old pro and so at ease you could tell he enjoyed himself on set. I particularly remember talking with him on an episode near Christmas that was filmed partly at the Wilshire Ebell Theater. He mentioned a Christmas Story with Peter Billingsly as a favorite of his and I chimed in how much I liked it too. Many on set had never heard of it. This was about a decade after it debuted but before it was played every Christmas.
Charlie Schlatter was the actor who replaced Scott Baio. He played Dr. Jesse Travis.

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#93 Post by Pahonu »

Luther's nephew Dobie wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 2:51 am

Hi Guys,
Besides, it works.
Hi Pahonu,
I was waiting to see what your informed opinion would be, as someone who was in the industry and was glad you liked what you saw.
As Van Dyke is on my list of 5 favorite actors, I am now officially insanely jealous that you met him.
Buffalo Bob Smith swearing me in as a member of the Peanut Gallery back in the 90's just ain't cutting it anymore when I think
"Pahonu met Dick Van Dyke!" :D
Not surprised to hear about Baio, anytime I run across his name people are complaining what a jerk he is.

I think I mentioned it before but my Mom went to Hammond High with Jean Shepherd, author of A Christmas Story.
"Ralphie" was a stand in for Shep, Flick and the rest of the kids are in my Mom's yearbook, which Shep signed.
As you noted Christmas Story wasn't a hit till years later through repeated viewings on TV.
Same thing for that other holiday classic It's A Wonderful Life.
Maybe Santa Claus Conquers The Martians(1964) still has a shot at becoming a heralded holiday standby.
In my brief few months of working on the series, I can confirm that Dick Van Dyke was a genuinely nice guy. Very approachable and sincere in his comments and conversations.

That’s so cool about your mom’s connection to Jean Shepherd. When I first started teaching in the 90’s, I would read a short story with my students before winter break. It was called Grover Dill and the Tasmanian Devil. Then I would show my VHS copy of A Christmas Story that my wife bought me. The kids used to genuinely like it. Again this was before it became a classic of the season.

Pahonu

#94 Post by Pahonu »

IvanTheTerrible wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 4:12 am

Hi Guys,
Besides, it works.

Charlie Schlatter was the actor who replaced Scott Baio. He played Dr. Jesse Travis.
I’ve heard the name but am not very familiar. As I was thinking back, there was another regular actor when I was there. He was a small, dark-haired man who was some kind of administrator at the hospital and also an African American nurse. I never had any conversations with either of them.

Fleet Admiral

#95 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Pahonu wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 5:16 am In my brief few months of working on the series, I can confirm that Dick Van Dyke was a genuinely nice guy. Very approachable and sincere in his comments and conversations.
That's interesting because I read somewhere that he wasn't very sociable and preferred his privacy. Don't remember where I read it. Maybe even his bio on IMDB. Unless I'm confusing him with some other actor. But I'm pretty sure I read this about him. Which is funny because in all the interviews (even now at 96!!) he always looks jovial and gregarious. A real song-and-dance man.

Fleet Admiral

#96 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Pahonu wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 5:19 am As I was thinking back, there was another regular actor when I was there. He was a small, dark-haired man who was some kind of administrator at the hospital and also an African American nurse. I never had any conversations with either of them.
Yep, Michael Tucci (of 1978's GREASE fame) as Norman Briggs (the very uptight administrator at the hospital - comic relief, really) and Delores Hall as Nurse Delores. She was gone after the first 2 seasons. Tucci stayed till the end I believe.

Pahonu

#97 Post by Pahonu »

IvanTheTerrible wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 6:17 pm
Pahonu wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 5:19 am As I was thinking back, there was another regular actor when I was there. He was a small, dark-haired man who was some kind of administrator at the hospital and also an African American nurse. I never had any conversations with either of them.
Yep, Michael Tucci (of 1978's GREASE fame) as Norman Briggs (the very uptight administrator at the hospital - comic relief, really) and Delores Hall as Nurse Delores. She was gone after the first 2 seasons. Tucci stayed till the end I believe.
Wow, he WAS in Grease! I never made that connection. LOL!

Pahonu

#98 Post by Pahonu »

IvanTheTerrible wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 6:13 pm
Pahonu wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 5:16 am In my brief few months of working on the series, I can confirm that Dick Van Dyke was a genuinely nice guy. Very approachable and sincere in his comments and conversations.
That's interesting because I read somewhere that he wasn't very sociable and preferred his privacy. Don't remember where I read it. Maybe even his bio on IMDB. Unless I'm confusing him with some other actor. But I'm pretty sure I read this about him. Which is funny because in all the interviews (even now at 96!!) he always looks jovial and gregarious. A real song-and-dance man.
Perhaps he was more private away from the set. I can understand that. This was his work and he was very professional and sociable with the crew and guest stars. I saw more than a few actors that were not that way on set at all.

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#99 Post by Little Garwood »

The Man Who Wasn’t There (S6 Ep 16)

Lyle Foster (Clu Gulager), another of Joe’s Korean War POW “colleagues” tries to kill him. Sure, this plot has been done numerous times, but director Sutton Roley has every scene—they really feel like setpieces—blocked and lit in his typically interesting way. I particularly enjoyed the silhouette of Gulager in his motel room as he menacingly cackles at Joe over the phone.

The first quarter of the episode is effectively eerie, as Joe tries to determine who is stalking him. The music score is probably reused from other episodes, but a superb cue heard in a scene in Joe’s office sounds like Schifrin.

There’s a decent fight in a nautically-themed restaurant. In this scene, Arthur Batanides resembles his character actor counterpart Richard “Carmine Ricca” Devon. Curse those early ‘70s sideburns and pasted comb overs.

This episode has a blink-and-you’ll-miss-him cameo by Ken Lynch. Robert Middleton has a standout performance. Middleton plays Jake Coryell, a hefty organized crime figure getting a workout at the gym.

Mannix has a good line when remembering his time spent in a North Korean POW camp: “We sort of sat around watching hell freeze over.”

The POW camp scene is blurrily yet strikingly shot in white and icy-blue with what appears to be some sort of snowfall effect. North Korean brutality is shown—unlike on episodes of M*A*S*H—as Joe gets smashed with a rifle butt.

Foster (Gulager) is not mentioned as having been in Mannix’s platoon, so it’s unclear as to whether Foster and he met in the camp. Mannix, however, is a “Screw continuity!” show, so it doesn’t matter. The finale and Foster’s demise are a little disappointing, but the highly-entertaining journey makes up for it.

My Rating 10/10
"Popularity is the pocket change of history."

~Tom Selleck

Fleet Admiral

#100 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Little Garwood wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 6:33 pm The Man Who Wasn’t There (S6 Ep 16)

Lyle Foster (Clu Gulager), another of Joe’s Korean War POW “colleagues” tries to kill him. Sure, this plot has been done numerous times, but director Sutton Roley has every scene—they really feel like setpieces—blocked and lit in his typically interesting way. I particularly enjoyed the silhouette of Gulager in his motel room as he menacingly cackles at Joe over the phone.

The first quarter of the episode is effectively eerie, as Joe tries to determine who is stalking him. The music score is probably reused from other episodes, but a superb cue heard in a scene in Joe’s office sounds like Schifrin.

There’s a decent fight in a nautically-themed restaurant. In this scene, Arthur Batanides resembles his character actor counterpart Richard “Carmine Ricca” Devon. Curse those early ‘70s sideburns and pasted comb overs.

This episode has a blink-and-you’ll-miss-him cameo by Ken Lynch. Robert Middleton has a standout performance. Middleton plays Jake Coryell, a hefty organized crime figure getting a workout at the gym.

Mannix has a good line when remembering his time spent in a North Korean POW camp: “We sort of sat around watching hell freeze over.”

The POW camp scene is blurrily yet strikingly shot in white and icy-blue with what appears to be some sort of snowfall effect. North Korean brutality is shown—unlike on episodes of M*A*S*H—as Joe gets smashed with a rifle butt.

Foster (Gulager) is not mentioned as having been in Mannix’s platoon, so it’s unclear as to whether Foster and he met in the camp. Mannix, however, is a “Screw continuity!” show, so it doesn’t matter. The finale and Foster’s demise are a little disappointing, but the highly-entertaining journey makes up for it.

My Rating 10/10
This is one of the few later season episodes that I saw. It's a good one! Maybe even better than the other 2 "crazy Korean vets out to get Mannix" episodes - the one with Steve Ihnat earlier in the series and the one with Darren McGavin. Love that creepy cackle of Gulager's and his silhouette!

The other later season episodes that I remember and really liked was the John Hillerman/Frank Langella one and the one with Bill Bixby where they're trapped in the high-rise (a precursor to DIE HARD). That one might actually be my favorite MANNIX episode of them all.

I also recall the skiing episode which was another great one. "Cold Trail" I think was the title. I'm a skiing enthusiast myself so I loved that one. There's a wicked car chase in that one that's got to be seen to be believed! Movie-quality stuff. Too good for television.

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#101 Post by Little Garwood »

IvanTheTerrible wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 6:39 pmThis is one of the few later season episodes that I saw. It's a good one! Maybe even better than the other 2 "crazy Korean vets out to get Mannix" episodes - the one with Steve Ihnat earlier in the series and the one with Darren McGavin. Love that creepy cackle of Gulager's and his silhouette!
Gulager definitely had a few proto-Joker moments; a good performance by him.
IvanTheTerrible wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 6:39 pmThe other later season episodes that I remember and really liked was the John Hillerman/Frank Langella one and the one with Bill Bixby where they're trapped in the high-rise (a precursor to DIE HARD). That one might actually be my favorite MANNIX episode of them all.
The Hillerman-Langella--and Barbara Luna--episode is Silent Target, which I jokingly give an alternate title: Whorehouse for Assassins. The fact that Hillerman runs the operation only adds to its insanity.
IvanTheTerrible wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 6:39 pmI also recall the skiing episode which was another great one. "Cold Trail" I think was the title. I'm a skiing enthusiast myself so I loved that one. There's a wicked car chase in that one that's got to be seen to be believed! Movie-quality stuff. Too good for television.
Yes, from season 5. That's a good episode from what is not my most-loved season, though to be fair it's been a long time since I've watched it in its entirety.

~Tom Selleck

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#102 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

Hi Guys,
The DECADES TV site has 4 or 5 good articles on Mannix. Such as the many episodes filmed in the "Brady Bunch" House. Gail Fisher's ground breaking role, etc.
They are running a 42 episode marathon this weekend, March 26/27 2022.
They often do show trivia during the first ad break of an episode.
Hopefully this link works -

9 hard-boiled facts about 'Mannix'

If not, do a search for: DECADES - 9 hard-boiled facts about 'Mannix

If you cruise around the site you can find other Mannix articles. DECADES does a pretty good job with it's TV series articles.
Though once or twice I got the distinct impression their staff raided MAGNUM MANIA for material. Actually more than once
or twice.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
On the Johnny Carson Show one of the regular bits was Carson doing Carnac the Magnificent. A turbaned Carson would hold a sealed envelope to his head
and intuit the answer to the question written in the envelope. On March 3, 1982 he did one with a Magnum theme:
Carnac the Magnificent - The answer is "Magnum PI".
He opens the letter and reads the question.
Carnac - How do you say, "I really got to go to the bathroom" in Latin.

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#103 Post by Little Garwood »

Here’s that link to the Decades Mannix marathon, Dobie.

youtu.be/8Rioh8SAqbc

Season 8’s A Word Called Courage is a superb episode well-directed by Bill Bixby. The guest cast includes the great Anthony Zerbe and Brenda Benet (Bill Bixby’s then-wife…her story is a tragic one).

The episode sort of counts as yet another “Mannix’s former Korean War psychos plots revenge on Mannix” story, as Joseph Sirola’s character fits that bill though he isn’t the episode’s primary villain.

A Word Called Courage is recommended for the fine Bixby direction…he has an interesting “eye” and employs aerial shots and clever set ups…it also propelled the narrative along. Mike Connors gives a superb performance and Gail Fisher gets to be kidnapped along with Joe.

The episode features a fight scene in which Peggy jumps on the back of a suited thug. This scene was used for the Mannix syndication reel, which is odd since season 8 was apparently not shown in syndication.

~Tom Selleck

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#104 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

Little Garwood wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 2:52 am Here’s that link to the Decades Mannix marathon, Dobie.

youtu.be/8Rioh8SAqbc

Season 8’s A Word Called Courage is a superb episode well-directed by Bill Bixby. The guest cast includes the great Anthony Zerbe and Brenda Benet (Bill Bixby’s then-wife…her story is a tragic one).
The episode sort of counts as yet another “Mannix’s former Korean War psychos plots revenge on Mannix” story, as Joseph Sirola’s character fits that bill though he isn’t the episode’s primary villain.
A Word Called Courage is recommended for the fine Bixby direction…he has an interesting “eye” and employs aerial shots and clever set ups…it also propelled the narrative along. Mike Connors gives a superb performance and Gail Fisher gets to be kidnapped along with Joe.
The episode features a fight scene in which Peggy jumps on the back of a suited thug. This scene was used for the Mannix syndication reel, which is odd since season 8 was apparently not shown in syndication.
Hi Garwood,
Thank you for supplying the link.
Not too long ago MeTV ran A Word Called Courage and as you say it rocked. IMDB's rating for this episode was 7.2 out of 10.00.
What a bunch of "maroons", as Bugs Bunny would say.
I never cease to get a kick out of you pointing out the legions of loons Mannix served with in Korea who come back to get him, they make Corporal Klinger look like Sgt. York.

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

Re: Re:

#105 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

K Hale wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 3:31 am
Little Garwood wrote:Guess who showed up in the sixth season of Mannix?

John Hillerman as not-so-nice-guy Larry Lawton in Light and Shadow, which aired December 17, 1972. He has a relatively small part, but he does get to verbally abuse Joe Mannix.

Hillerman has two more appearances on Mannix, seasons seven and eight. I have seven on the way and eight is due to be released in December.

It looks like Little Garwood's uploads have disappeared so I made this composite showing JH's three roles on Mannix. He played villains all three times, two different hit men and a shady society gossip columnist.

Thanks for sharing these pics K Hale. I don't how I missed this post before.