Has anyone ever seen BARETTA?

1948-present

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

Has anyone ever seen BARETTA?

#1 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

I was under the impression that BARETTA was a pretty popular detective show in the 70s and the role Robert Blake is most famous for, even though he already had a major starring role in the film classic IN COLD BLOOD. And I believe Blake even won an Emmy for the Baretta role. So it's baffling that they NEVER show this series anywhere. 30+ years of me watching television here in the states and not once did I come across a rerun of this supposedly classic show. All those other 70s crime shows like Five-O, Streets of San Fran, Columbo, Rockford, Charlie's Angels, Kojak, Cannon, Mannix, Ironside, etc. are always being shown somewhere, whether it's Me-TV or Antenna-TV or Cozi-TV or some cable channel but BARETTA has to be the most elusive show from that period. I just don't get it. Has anyone ever seen it in reruns anywhere? They even ran HARRY-O on Decades-TV some time back. But BARETTA is a real mystery. Are there some rights issues there?

Whenever Blake's name comes up it's always "the BARETTA star" like the show is in constant rotation in syndication. But it's never been shown as far back as I can remember. Never even came across it on YouTube. Just brief clips and the show's intro.

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

Re: Has anyone ever seen BARETTA?

#2 Post by Pahonu »

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 5:32 am I was under the impression that BARETTA was a pretty popular detective show in the 70s and the role Robert Blake is most famous for, even though he already had a major starring role in the film classic IN COLD BLOOD. And I believe Blake even won an Emmy for the Baretta role. So it's baffling that they NEVER show this series anywhere. 30+ years of me watching television here in the states and not once did I come across a rerun of this supposedly classic show. All those other 70s crime shows like Five-O, Streets of San Fran, Columbo, Rockford, Charlie's Angels, Kojak, Cannon, Mannix, Ironside, etc. are always being shown somewhere, whether it's Me-TV or Antenna-TV or Cozi-TV or some cable channel but BARETTA has to be the most elusive show from that period. I just don't get it. Has anyone ever seen it in reruns anywhere? They even ran HARRY-O on Decades-TV some time back. But BARETTA is a real mystery. Are there some rights issues there?

Whenever Blake's name comes up it's always "the BARETTA star" like the show is in constant rotation in syndication. But it's never been shown as far back as I can remember. Never even came across it on YouTube. Just brief clips and the show's intro.
I used to watch reruns with my dad . This would have been the early 80’s so very shortly after it originally aired, as was common for syndication. It was good, I recall, part of the gritty undercover cop genre popular at the time. I clearly remember two things: the opening song and his per Fred, the cockatoo. LOL! I don’t recall any specific episode or scene now as this was over 40 years ago.

I have no idea why it hasn’t popped up somewhere. It’s seems like it should have with all the others you mentioned. It just might yet. Harry-O was elusive for decades. When I found out it could be purchased through Warner Bros. directly, I paid quite a bit for both seasons on CD. There was nobody to talk to about with then, and I brought it up a lot, but it was worth it. I had been waiting for a looong time. It’s my favorite after Rockford.

Aloha Friday
Admiral

#3 Post by Aloha Friday »

Robert Blake was accused and tried for killing his wife...If I recall correctly, he might have done the crime, but didn't do the time...counter to the Beretta theme song. He was found not guilty in criminal court, but liable for her death...some thought he got off because of his celebrity. He like OJ, and to a lesser degree, Bill Cosby, were black-balled. You do not see their shows rerun either. Robert Blake was also a child actor, one of the Little Rascals.
Aloha Friday
Tidewater, Virginia

Aloha Friday
Admiral

#4 Post by Aloha Friday »

He was found liable for her death in civil court...not sure what happened, that part got cut off when I hit "submit".
Aloha Friday
Tidewater, Virginia

Fleet Admiral

#5 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Pahonu wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 2:14 pm
ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 5:32 am I was under the impression that BARETTA was a pretty popular detective show in the 70s and the role Robert Blake is most famous for, even though he already had a major starring role in the film classic IN COLD BLOOD. And I believe Blake even won an Emmy for the Baretta role. So it's baffling that they NEVER show this series anywhere. 30+ years of me watching television here in the states and not once did I come across a rerun of this supposedly classic show. All those other 70s crime shows like Five-O, Streets of San Fran, Columbo, Rockford, Charlie's Angels, Kojak, Cannon, Mannix, Ironside, etc. are always being shown somewhere, whether it's Me-TV or Antenna-TV or Cozi-TV or some cable channel but BARETTA has to be the most elusive show from that period. I just don't get it. Has anyone ever seen it in reruns anywhere? They even ran HARRY-O on Decades-TV some time back. But BARETTA is a real mystery. Are there some rights issues there?

I used to watch reruns with my dad . This would have been the early 80’s so very shortly after it originally aired, as was common for syndication. It was good, I recall, part of the gritty undercover cop genre popular at the time. I clearly remember two things: the opening song and his per Fred, the cockatoo. LOL! I don’t recall any specific episode or scene now as this was over 40 years ago.

I have no idea why it hasn’t popped up somewhere. It’s seems like it should have with all the others you mentioned. It just might yet. Harry-O was elusive for decades. When I found out it could be purchased through Warner Bros. directly, I paid quite a bit for both seasons on CD. There was nobody to talk to about with then, and I brought it up a lot, but it was worth it. I had been waiting for a looong time. It’s my favorite after Rockford.
Yep, I think HARRY-O is certainly less known or less remembered than BARETTA but even that one popped up on the Decades binge and on YouTube (complete episodes). David Janssen's main claim to fame was THE FUGITIVE. HARRY-O was the more obscure show. For Blake BARETTA seemed to be his signature work! It did well in the Nielsen ratings too - during its 3rd season it finished at #9. Much better than HARRY-O, which never finished in the top 20 in either of its 2 seasons. That's why it's so odd that it seems to have disappeared. If the early 80s was the last time it was shown in syndication then that's really strange.

What did you mean by getting both seasons of HARRY-O on CD? You mean DVD? CD would be music.

Fleet Admiral

#6 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Aloha Friday wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 2:46 pm Robert Blake was accused and tried for killing his wife...If I recall correctly, he might have done the crime, but didn't do the time...counter to the Beretta theme song. He was found not guilty in criminal court, but liable for her death...some thought he got off because of his celebrity. He like OJ, and to a lesser degree, Bill Cosby, were black-balled. You do not see their shows rerun either. Robert Blake was also a child actor, one of the Little Rascals.
The Blake murder trial was in the early 2000s. I can understand if the show was black-balled as a result of this. But I don't recall the show ever being shown in syndication even in the 90s before all that happened. THE COSBY SHOW was of course shown all the time in reruns (I was never a fan) all through the 90s and 2000s. I guess it's black-balled now - I haven't seen it anywhere. But with BARETTA I don't think it was ever black-balled. It just wasn't shown for some reason.

Pahonu

#7 Post by Pahonu »

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 4:26 pm

Yep, I think HARRY-O is certainly less known or less remembered than BARETTA but even that one popped up on the Decades binge and on YouTube (complete episodes). David Janssen's main claim to fame was THE FUGITIVE. HARRY-O was the more obscure show. For Blake BARETTA seemed to be his signature work! It did well in the Nielsen ratings too - during its 3rd season it finished at #9. Much better than HARRY-O, which never finished in the top 20 in either of its 2 seasons. That's why it's so odd that it seems to have disappeared. If the early 80s was the last time it was shown in syndication then that's really strange.

What did you mean by getting both seasons of HARRY-O on CD? You mean DVD? CD would be music.
Doh! I meant DVDs, but they were not available in stores or online retail. You had to order them from Warner Bros. directly and it took a while to get them. They also came in a simple case with a photo of Harry-O on the front and a list of the episodes on the back. Nothing special at all in terms of packaging and promotion and no extras.

Fleet Admiral

#8 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Pahonu wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 4:40 pm

Doh! I meant DVDs, but they were not available in stores or online retail. You had to order them from Warner Bros. directly and it took a while to get them. They also came in a simple case with a photo of Harry-O on the front and a list of the episodes on the back. Nothing special at all in terms of packaging and promotion and no extras.
Ah ok. I was wondering if maybe they were somehow able to burn those episodes onto CD's back in the day. But I think you still needed DVD's for that. Was this in the late 90s when Columbia House was offering various shows on VHS tapes? I remember being super excited when I saw that KNIGHT RIDER was available. But then I quickly realized how expensive this would be and how long it would take to collect all the episodes (I think they shipped one VHS tape every few months or something like that, with 2 or 3 episodes on one tape) and how much storage space I would need for all those tapes. What a miracle DVDs are! To think that only a few years later in 2004 the entire first season of KNIGHT RIDER would be released in a simple and small DVD booklet case which only consisted of 3 discs (double-sided) and a bonus disc, which took no space at all on my shelf. I was on cloud nine when I discovered this. It was something I had a hard time fathoming, that I could just watch any of the 22 episodes anytime I wanted. Just 3 discs holding an entire season - WOW!! I snatched it up at my local Best Buy as soon as it was available. That was my first TV show on DVD purchase. Of course over the next 2 years seasons 2, 3, and 4 were released and so I had the entire series in my collection.

Pahonu

#9 Post by Pahonu »

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 7:31 pm

Ah ok. I was wondering if maybe they were somehow able to burn those episodes onto CD's back in the day. But I think you still needed DVD's for that. Was this in the late 90s when Columbia House was offering various shows on VHS tapes? I remember being super excited when I saw that KNIGHT RIDER was available. But then I quickly realized how expensive this would be and how long it would take to collect all the episodes (I think they shipped one VHS tape every few months or something like that, with 2 or 3 episodes on one tape) and how much storage space I would need for all those tapes. What a miracle DVDs are! To think that only a few years later in 2004 the entire first season of KNIGHT RIDER would be released in a simple and small DVD booklet case which only consisted of 3 discs (double-sided) and a bonus disc, which took no space at all on my shelf. I was on cloud nine when I discovered this. It was something I had a hard time fathoming, that I could just watch any of the 22 episodes anytime I wanted. Just 3 discs holding an entire season - WOW!! I snatched it up at my local Best Buy as soon as it was available. That was my first TV show on DVD purchase. Of course over the next 2 years seasons 2, 3, and 4 were released and so I had the entire series in my collection.
I just looked on Amazon and there are at least two seasons of Barrett’s available on DVD. Apparently TV Land and MeTV have both shown it in syndication, but not in many years. There doesn’t appear to be any significant reason not to show it, like music rights, etc… I also learned that it became the first mid-season replacement series to win an Emmy.

Fleet Admiral

#10 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Pahonu wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 9:17 pm

I just looked on Amazon and there are at least two seasons of Barrett’s available on DVD. Apparently TV Land and MeTV have both shown it in syndication, but not in many years. There doesn’t appear to be any significant reason not to show it, like music rights, etc… I also learned that it became the first mid-season replacement series to win an Emmy.
Yeah I think almost any show is available on Amazon (even the really obscure ones) so I'm not surprised that BARETTA is available there. How do you know about TVLand and MeTV showing it? I know that TVLand has been around for a really long time so maybe it did show it at some point (though we never had cable so I wouldn't know) but MeTV is pretty recent (maybe 10-15 years old?) so I think I would have come across the show if it aired it. Unless we're talking about MeTV in some other part of the country that doesn't show all the shows that MeTV does (or did) here in Philly.

Pahonu

#11 Post by Pahonu »

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 9:36 pm

Yeah I think almost any show is available on Amazon (even the really obscure ones) so I'm not surprised that BARETTA is available there. How do you know about TVLand and MeTV showing it? I know that TVLand has been around for a really long time so maybe it did show it at some point (though we never had cable so I wouldn't know) but MeTV is pretty recent (maybe 10-15 years old?) so I think I would have come across the show if it aired it. Unless we're talking about MeTV in some other part of the country that doesn't show all the shows that MeTV does (or did) here in Philly.
I found this on Wikipedia:

“After its initial run in syndication beginning in 1979, the series later re-appeared on TV Land in 1999 as part of a package of series licensed from Universal. MeTV aired reruns of Baretta on Saturday afternoons in 2007.”

Fleet Admiral

#12 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Pahonu wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 2:12 am

“After its initial run in syndication beginning in 1979, the series later re-appeared on TV Land in 1999 as part of a package of series licensed from Universal. MeTV aired reruns of Baretta on Saturday afternoons in 2007.”
Hmmm... MeTV in 2007? I didn't think MeTV existed then. I know I wasn't watching it then. I just checked Wikipedia and it says that MeTV was launched nationally in 2010 which sounds about right - that's when I think I became aware of it. I guess maybe it ran earlier in some other markets and that's maybe where BARETTA was shown. Wasn't in Philly though. Let's hope some day BARETTA will be shown nationally on MeTV.

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#13 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

I have no idea why my links that I put up elsewhere don't work here, but you can put the below in a search engine.
HARRY-O is free at the first two, below.
Then there is the two TV movies on You Tube.
I agree HARRY-O is outstanding - Anthony Zerbe won an Emmy for season two - but the pilot films aren't as good which isn't unusual when a series is finding it's way.
But you should watch both of them. One was later reworked/edited into a 'new' episode.
I would also suggest looking up a reliable episode guide to make sure you watch the series in order.

Harry O Season 1 : TVSTAR : Free Download, Borrow, and Streaming : Internet Archive

Harry O Season 2 : TVSTAR : Free Download, Borrow, and Streaming : Internet Archive

The two pilot movies:
(1) Harry O S01 Pilot Such Dust as Dreams Are Made On - YouTube

Harry O Smile Jenny You're Dead (TV Movie) - YouTube
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Harry is grieving over the murder of his pal, police Lt. Quinlan and buys a bottle at his local bar, to be kept there for a select few -
Harry:
Every once in a while somebody will come in here and you'll see that you like 'em right away, 'cause they're decent and just good people.
So give 'em a drink out of this bottle. Doesn't matter whether they have money or not. Tell 'em the drink's on Manny Quinlan.
Maybe they'll remember him. And if you feel like it, tell them he was a friend of mine.
Bartender:
What'll I do when the bottle's empty?
Harry:
Nothing. Nobody lives forever.

"Elegy For a Cop"

Pahonu

#14 Post by Pahonu »

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 3:46 am
Pahonu wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 2:12 am

Hmmm... MeTV in 2007? I didn't think MeTV existed then. I know I wasn't watching it then. I just checked Wikipedia and it says that MeTV was launched nationally in 2010 which sounds about right - that's when I think I became aware of it. I guess maybe it ran earlier in some other markets and that's maybe where BARETTA was shown. Wasn't in Philly though. Let's hope some day BARETTA will be shown nationally on MeTV.
That’s likely the case about a local market or markets where MeTV began. That’s not actually unusual for a channel to debut in a few large markets before expanding. I’d definitely watch it again if it appeared. I’ll keep the DVR warm! :lol:

Pahonu

#15 Post by Pahonu »

Luther's nephew Dobie wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 4:42 am

I have no idea why my links that I put up elsewhere don't work here, but you can put the below in a search engine.
HARRY-O is free at the first two, below.
Then there is the two TV movies on You Tube.
I agree HARRY-O is outstanding - Anthony Zerbe won an Emmy for season two - but the pilot films aren't as good which isn't unusual when a series is finding it's way.
But you should watch both of them. One was later reworked/edited into a 'new' episode.
I would also suggest looking up a reliable episode guide to make sure you watch the series in order.

Harry O Season 1 : TVSTAR : Free Download, Borrow, and Streaming : Internet Archive

Harry O Season 2 : TVSTAR : Free Download, Borrow, and Streaming : Internet Archive

The two pilot movies:
(1) Harry O S01 Pilot Such Dust as Dreams Are Made On - YouTube

Harry O Smile Jenny You're Dead (TV Movie) - YouTube
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Harry is grieving over the murder of his pal, police Lt. Quinlan and buys a bottle at his local bar, to be kept there for a select few -
Harry:
Every once in a while somebody will come in here and you'll see that you like 'em right away, 'cause they're decent and just good people.
So give 'em a drink out of this bottle. Doesn't matter whether they have money or not. Tell 'em the drink's on Manny Quinlan.
Maybe they'll remember him. And if you feel like it, tell them he was a friend of mine.
Bartender:
What'll I do when the bottle's empty?
Harry:
Nothing. Nobody lives forever.

"Elegy For a Cop"
Classic quote from the series. Great choice! I also enjoy Harry’s voiceovers from the early season one episodes. They’re almost poetry.