1948-present

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

Re: Has anyone ever seen BARETTA?

#16 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

Pahonu wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 2:18 pm
Luther's nephew Dobie wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 4:42 am
ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 5:32 am I was under the impression that BARETTA was a pretty popular detective show in the 70s and the role Robert Blake is most famous for, even though he already had a major starring role in the film classic IN COLD BLOOD. And I believe Blake even won an Emmy for the Baretta role. So it's baffling that they NEVER show this series anywhere. 30+ years of me watching television here in the states and not once did I come across a rerun of this supposedly classic show. All those other 70s crime shows like Five-O, Streets of San Fran, Columbo, Rockford, Charlie's Angels, Kojak, Cannon, Mannix, Ironside, etc. are always being shown somewhere, whether it's Me-TV or Antenna-TV or Cozi-TV or some cable channel but BARETTA has to be the most elusive show from that period. I just don't get it. Has anyone ever seen it in reruns anywhere? They even ran HARRY-O on Decades-TV some time back. But BARETTA is a real mystery. Are there some rights issues there?

Whenever Blake's name comes up it's always "the BARETTA star" like the show is in constant rotation in syndication. But it's never been shown as far back as I can remember. Never even came across it on YouTube. Just brief clips and the show's intro.
I have no idea why my links that I put up elsewhere don't work here, but you can put the below in a search engine.
HARRY-O is free at the first two, below.
Then there is the two TV movies on You Tube.
I agree HARRY-O is outstanding - Anthony Zerbe won an Emmy for season two - but the pilot films aren't as good which isn't unusual when a series is finding it's way.
But you should watch both of them. One was later reworked/edited into a 'new' episode.
I would also suggest looking up a reliable episode guide to make sure you watch the series in order.

Harry O Season 1 : TVSTAR : Free Download, Borrow, and Streaming : Internet Archive

Harry O Season 2 : TVSTAR : Free Download, Borrow, and Streaming : Internet Archive

The two pilot movies:
(1) Harry O S01 Pilot Such Dust as Dreams Are Made On - YouTube

Harry O Smile Jenny You're Dead (TV Movie) - YouTube
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Harry is grieving over the murder of his pal, police Lt. Quinlan and buys a bottle at his local bar, to be kept there for a select few -
Harry:
Every once in a while somebody will come in here and you'll see that you like 'em right away, 'cause they're decent and just good people.
So give 'em a drink out of this bottle. Doesn't matter whether they have money or not. Tell 'em the drink's on Manny Quinlan.
Maybe they'll remember him. And if you feel like it, tell them he was a friend of mine.
Bartender:
What'll I do when the bottle's empty?
Harry:
Nothing. Nobody lives forever.

"Elegy For a Cop"
Classic quote from the series. Great choice! I also enjoy Harry’s voiceovers from the early season one episodes. They’re almost poetry.
I agree, and you can "take that to the bank".
Baretta had his own street poetry:
"Ya take all o' yer wouldas, yer couldas and yer shouldas in one hand, and a quarter in the other, and you can maybe buy a donut."

Baretta was a reworking of "Toma" starring Tony Musante as real-life New Jersey police officer David Toma. Crap for brains Musante left the lauded series after one year, as it was holding
him back from superstardom, and was never heard of again.
Robert Blake took over, the series name changed to Baretta.
The theme "Keep Your Eye on the Sparrow," was composed by Dave Grusin, sung by Sammy Davis Jr.
If you are a big Baretta fan check out "Toma", it's the same show.

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#17 Post by Pahonu »

Luther's nephew Dobie wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 7:27 pm
ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 5:32 am I was under the impression that BARETTA was a pretty popular detective show in the 70s and the role Robert Blake is most famous for, even though he already had a major starring role in the film classic IN COLD BLOOD. And I believe Blake even won an Emmy for the Baretta role. So it's baffling that they NEVER show this series anywhere. 30+ years of me watching television here in the states and not once did I come across a rerun of this supposedly classic show. All those other 70s crime shows like Five-O, Streets of San Fran, Columbo, Rockford, Charlie's Angels, Kojak, Cannon, Mannix, Ironside, etc. are always being shown somewhere, whether it's Me-TV or Antenna-TV or Cozi-TV or some cable channel but BARETTA has to be the most elusive show from that period. I just don't get it. Has anyone ever seen it in reruns anywhere? They even ran HARRY-O on Decades-TV some time back. But BARETTA is a real mystery. Are there some rights issues there?

Whenever Blake's name comes up it's always "the BARETTA star" like the show is in constant rotation in syndication. But it's never been shown as far back as I can remember. Never even came across it on YouTube. Just brief clips and the show's intro.
I have no idea why my links that I put up elsewhere don't work here, but you can put the below in a search engine.
I agree HARRY-O is outstanding - Anthony Zerbe won an Emmy for season two - but the pilot films aren't as good which isn't unusual when a series is finding it's way.
But you should watch both of them. One was later reworked/edited into a 'new' episode.
I would also suggest looking up a reliable episode guide to make sure you watch the series in order.

Harry O Season 1 : TVSTAR : Free Download, Borrow, and Streaming : Internet Archive

Harry O Season 2 : TVSTAR : Free Download, Borrow, and Streaming : Internet Archive

The two pilot movies:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Harry is grieving over the murder of his pal, police Lt. Quinlan and buys a bottle at his local bar, to be kept there for a select few -
Harry:
Every once in a while somebody will come in here and you'll see that you like 'em right away, 'cause they're decent and just good people.
So give 'em a drink out of this bottle. Doesn't matter whether they have money or not. Tell 'em the drink's on Manny Quinlan.
Maybe they'll remember him. And if you feel like it, tell them he was a friend of mine.
Bartender:
Harry:

"Elegy For a Cop"
Classic quote from the series. Great choice! I also enjoy Harry’s voiceovers from the early season one episodes. They’re almost poetry.
"Ya take all o' yer wouldas, yer couldas and yer shouldas in one hand, and a quarter in the other, and you can maybe buy a donut."

Baretta was a reworking of "Toma" starring Tony Musante as real-life New Jersey police officer David Toma. Crap for brains Musante left the lauded series after one year, as it was holding
The theme "Keep Your Eye on the Sparrow," was composed by Dave Grusin, sung by Sammy Davis Jr.
Yes to all, and there are also huge connections to The Rockford Files. Roy Huggins, Stephen Cannell, and Juanita Bartlett all worked on it before Rockford. Also, the Rockford pilot was somehow a reworking of a Toma script. I’m not recall exactly how now. I’ll have to go back to my book on the series!

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

#18 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Pahonu wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 9:03 pm
Luther's nephew Dobie wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 7:27 pm

The two pilot movies:

Harry:
Bartender:
Harry:

"Elegy For a Cop"

Yes to all, and there are also huge connections to The Rockford Files. Roy Huggins, Stephen Cannell, and Juanita Bartlett all worked on it before Rockford. Also, the Rockford pilot was somehow a reworking of a Toma script. I’m not recall exactly how now. I’ll have to go back to my book on the series!
How about the season 1 ROCKFORD episode "Charlie Harris at Large" guest starring Tony Musante as Charlie Harris? Any connection there?