MacGyver 1985-1992

1948-present

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

MacGyver 1985-1992

#1 Post by T.Q. »

Started watching MacGyver during my work-outs.

Surprised I didn't see it here (unless I missed it).

Was a big fan as a kid but have never seen any episodes since.

First three episodes were good.

Forgot MacGyver also narrates. Was that inspired by Magnum PI?

Knocking my rubber chicken or my sloppy habits is within the rules, but you're attacking my character. I would like to think you don't mean that.

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

Re: MacGyver 1985-1992

#2 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

T.Q. wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 12:56 pm Started watching MacGyver during my work-outs.

Yep another great 80s show!

I have the first season on DVD but that's it. Have seen some of the other season episodes here and there but there's still a huge chunk of the show I haven't seen. Even more than MPI. :)

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

Re: MacGyver 1985-1992

#3 Post by Pahonu »

T.Q. wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 12:56 pm Started watching MacGyver during my work-outs.

I also watched this in high school, at least for the first few seasons, then I lost interest. It was a very new and clever concept and the word ultimately entered the lexicon as a verb: to make, form, or repair (something) with what is conveniently on hand. That’s pretty impressive in and of itself and evidence of the newness of its concept.

I had no idea it lasted that long and have never seen any of the later seasons. I’ve also never seen any episodes in syndication. My only big memory about it, beyond the character’s incredible knowledge and cleverness, was that it seemed much more shadowy and spy-like early on, very plot driven. It became less so as it started to focus on the characters like more typical TV series, but I can’t say when this shift happened. Maybe you’ll notice something similar as you make your way through the episodes.

As far as the voiceovers, I had forgotten that MacGyver even used them. Magnum wasn’t the first to do and it certainly is still used on shows. The mid-70’s David Janssen detective series, Harry-O, used voiceovers to excellent effect. They didn’t just advance the plot, as many do, but really gave you insight into his thoughts and feelings. Some have even described them as almost poetic at times.