1948-present

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

Re: Harry-O on Decades

#46 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 10:15 pm
Luther's nephew Dobie wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 2:39 am Ivan,
To be fair pilots or the first few regular episodes of a series can be 'off'. The first few Bonanza episodes had deeply weird moments. Ben a modern Moses
thundering from Mount Sinai about transgressors against the Bible, Hoss being almost simple minded, Hop Sing '"a celestial star gazer".
:lol: :lol: :lol: Dobe, I got a good laugh from your BONANZA comment! You're right, the first few episodes Ben is such a zealot over his precious Ponderosa that he would shoot and kill any man that steps on it. Like, what the heck??? :o He would probably shoot poor old grandma between the eyes if she accidentally got lost and stumbled on his land. Sheesh! And yeah Hoss is almost like Lennie from "Of Mice and Men". :) What can I say about Hop Sing??? He's such a broad caricature but boy do I love him!!! :lol: "Meesta Cot-light, meesta Cot-light!" :lol: Hot-diggidy, as Little Joe might say.

But anyway, I'm glad they righted the ship. The second half of the season is definitely stronger than the first. But it probably wasn't until season 3 where I think the show really came into its own. Some of my favorite episodes come from that season. "The Crucible" with Lee Marvin, anyone?? Instant classic. Another thing I didn't care for in those early season 1 episodes is what I considered "dull stories" (not the traditional good guys vs. bad guys stories) where they would get some well-known Hollywood star at the time (Yvonne DeCarlo, Ruth Roman, Ida Lupino, etc.) and build the story around her and center too much of it in Virginia City. And some of these would be historical figures (Howard Duff played Mark Twain) that they tried to shoehorn into how Virginia City was born. I really didn't care for those early "genesis of Virginia City" stories. :? I liked it when it transitioned to more traditional western stories. "Vendetta" I think was a turning point somewhere in the middle of the season. A very good episode which is basically a remake of HIGH NOON, with Ben in the Gary Cooper part. My favorite from season 1 is the season finale "Death at Dawn". A great episode!!
Tonight on You Tube I watched Season One Episode One "Gertrude" and it was terrific, the Harry O that the critics so love in evidence.
Really well done and knockout guest star Julie Sommars played her off beat role just right.
I love stories where I am surprised and it's not the same old same old detective show stuff we have all seen 500 times, and episode one delivers.
How many detective leads roar about not in the latest sports car - Harry's old junker is always in the shop - but on crosstown buses?
Yep, I liked the episode too. It had an offbeat quality to it (with Julie Sommars playing a big part in this, being a quirky character herself) and some memorable dialogue and a story that kept you guessing. I liked "The Admiral's Lady" and "Mortal Sin" more though. But that's probably the Five-O fan in me. :wink:
Hi Ivan,
I forgot about the Cartwrights death penalty for trespassers! And I really laughed at your Hoss = Lennie bit! Dan Blocker appreciated what Bonanza did for him and his family but he would recount
how fans would approach him and talk to him as if he was Hoss. This was a Korean War combat vet, who once taught English - hopefully not "dagnabit" - at a Texas college.
I think one day we have to get a Bonanza thread on Magnum Mania, as it is probably one of the most successful series ever, being a Western it doesn't age, leads aren't making
allusions to "West" Germany which today would puzzle many viewers.
As for Harry 0, perceived wisdom is season one is better than season two but for what it's worth so far - having seen only three season one episodes - I like season two better, but maybe that will change.

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#47 Post by Pahonu »

Luther's nephew Dobie wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 1:32 am
To be fair pilots or the first few regular episodes of a series can be 'off'. The first few Bonanza episodes had deeply weird moments. Ben a modern Moses
thundering from Mount Sinai about transgressors against the Bible, Hoss being almost simple minded, Hop Sing '"a celestial star gazer".
:lol: :lol: :lol: Dobe, I got a good laugh from your BONANZA comment! You're right, the first few episodes Ben is such a zealot over his precious Ponderosa that he would shoot and kill any man that steps on it. Like, what the heck??? :o He would probably shoot poor old grandma between the eyes if she accidentally got lost and stumbled on his land. Sheesh! And yeah Hoss is almost like Lennie from "Of Mice and Men". :) What can I say about Hop Sing??? He's such a broad caricature but boy do I love him!!! :lol: "Meesta Cot-light, meesta Cot-light!" :lol: Hot-diggidy, as Little Joe might say.

But anyway, I'm glad they righted the ship. The second half of the season is definitely stronger than the first. But it probably wasn't until season 3 where I think the show really came into its own. Some of my favorite episodes come from that season. "The Crucible" with Lee Marvin, anyone?? Instant classic. Another thing I didn't care for in those early season 1 episodes is what I considered "dull stories" (not the traditional good guys vs. bad guys stories) where they would get some well-known Hollywood star at the time (Yvonne DeCarlo, Ruth Roman, Ida Lupino, etc.) and build the story around her and center too much of it in Virginia City. And some of these would be historical figures (Howard Duff played Mark Twain) that they tried to shoehorn into how Virginia City was born. I really didn't care for those early "genesis of Virginia City" stories. :? I liked it when it transitioned to more traditional western stories. "Vendetta" I think was a turning point somewhere in the middle of the season. A very good episode which is basically a remake of HIGH NOON, with Ben in the Gary Cooper part. My favorite from season 1 is the season finale "Death at Dawn". A great episode!!
Tonight on You Tube I watched Season One Episode One "Gertrude" and it was terrific, the Harry O that the critics so love in evidence.
Really well done and knockout guest star Julie Sommars played her off beat role just right.
I love stories where I am surprised and it's not the same old same old detective show stuff we have all seen 500 times, and episode one delivers.
How many detective leads roar about not in the latest sports car - Harry's old junker is always in the shop - but on crosstown buses?
Yep, I liked the episode too. It had an offbeat quality to it (with Julie Sommars playing a big part in this, being a quirky character herself) and some memorable dialogue and a story that kept you guessing. I liked "The Admiral's Lady" and "Mortal Sin" more though. But that's probably the Five-O fan in me. :wink:
Hi Ivan,
I forgot about the Cartwrights death penalty for trespassers! And I really laughed at your Hoss = Lennie bit! Dan Blocker appreciated what Bonanza did for him and his family but he would recount
how fans would approach him and talk to him as if he was Hoss. This was a Korean War combat vet, who once taught English - hopefully not "dagnabit" - at a Texas college.
I think one day we have to get a Bonanza thread on Magnum Mania, as it is probably one of the most successful series ever, being a Western it doesn't age, leads aren't making
As for Harry 0, perceived wisdom is season one is better than season two but for what it's worth so far - having seen only three season one episodes - I like season two better, but maybe that will change.
Hey Dobie,

I’m probably in that group that like season one better, but mostly because the first 6 episodes or so are exceptional. They are the best few episodes as a group, I feel, but the end of season one and most of season two episodes are more consistently good.

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

#48 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Pahonu wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 1:21 am
ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 6:30 pm
Pahonu wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 12:39 am
ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 9:40 pm
Pahonu wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 2:09 am

Me thinks Ivan is jealous of Harry’s way with the ladies. LOL! Wait until Farah Fawcett drys his hair after a shower and likely gives him a massage in Forbidden City!!!
Eh, Farrah was always overrated anyway. :P Now, if Cheryl or Jaclyn dried his hair... :shock:

Speaking of pilot #2 it seems that more people tend to prefer that one (from what I've gleaned here and there) so I'm optimistic. :) And hopefully no more harems for Harry-O. :wink:
I wouldn’t question any of Charlie’s Angels drying his hair… or mine!!! :lol: I even remember watching the scene and thinking, “she’s drying his hair” what a great neighbor, but it was actually in the episode.

The second pilot was also very good, but seemed to lack the melancholy aspect of an ex-cop pensioned off the force by a bullet in his back and trying to move on. Perhaps I prefer it because it was my first exposure to the character and I really liked how unique and different it was to me as a young person. I was a senior in high school when I first saw it, if I recall correctly.
Speaking of Charlie's Angels... I saw on IMDB that Cheryl Ladd was in pilot #1 (playing a teenage girl) but I did not spot her in the episode I saw on YouTube. The version I saw was pretty choppy so maybe her part was missing there. Were you able to spot her? She's definitely not the young library girl that is hitting on Orwell.
She was very briefly in the scene in the diner where Harry meets Sal Mineo playing the dealer, Walter Scheerer. He excuses himself from the table with Harry and a car drives by shooting into the diner. Ladd screams and buries her face in someone’s chest. That’s it! A waitress is also injured but Cheryl Jean Stoppelmoor, as she was known then, had made her debut.
If you could post a screen cap of Ms. Ladd/Stoppelmoor that would be great! The YouTube version very briefly just shows the chubby waitress after the gunfire in the diner erupts. Nobody else.

Fleet Admiral

#49 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Luther's nephew Dobie wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 1:32 am

Hi Ivan,
Yes, I've seen Dan Blocker's interviews on YouTube and he's a very educated and well-spoken man. It's actually funny imagining someone talking reeaaaaaally slow to him, thinking he's like Hoss in real life. :lol: Not that Hoss was slow or anything like that. Or needed to be talked to very slow-like. :wink: At least not once the series found its groove and Hoss was no longer a simpleton. I love the shenanigans that Hoss and Little Joe found themselves in very often. Some of those episodes are a riot! :lol: The producer/writers knew when to treat both of them as comedic characters and when to treat them as serious characters (comedic is not the same as simple-minded or slow, by the way). That's what made BONANZA such a great show! Oh, and it's "dat-burnit", not "dagnabit". :lol: :lol: I think you're right - we may need a separate thread for the greatest western of all time!

Just curious, which three season 1 episodes of HARRY-O did you see?

Pahonu

#50 Post by Pahonu »

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 3:54 am
ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 9:40 pm
Eh, Farrah was always overrated anyway. :P Now, if Cheryl or Jaclyn dried his hair... :shock:

Speaking of pilot #2 it seems that more people tend to prefer that one (from what I've gleaned here and there) so I'm optimistic. :) And hopefully no more harems for Harry-O. :wink:
I wouldn’t question any of Charlie’s Angels drying his hair… or mine!!! :lol: I even remember watching the scene and thinking, “she’s drying his hair” what a great neighbor, but it was actually in the episode.

The second pilot was also very good, but seemed to lack the melancholy aspect of an ex-cop pensioned off the force by a bullet in his back and trying to move on. Perhaps I prefer it because it was my first exposure to the character and I really liked how unique and different it was to me as a young person. I was a senior in high school when I first saw it, if I recall correctly.
Speaking of Charlie's Angels... I saw on IMDB that Cheryl Ladd was in pilot #1 (playing a teenage girl) but I did not spot her in the episode I saw on YouTube. The version I saw was pretty choppy so maybe her part was missing there. Were you able to spot her? She's definitely not the young library girl that is hitting on Orwell.
She was very briefly in the scene in the diner where Harry meets Sal Mineo playing the dealer, Walter Scheerer. He excuses himself from the table with Harry and a car drives by shooting into the diner. Ladd screams and buries her face in someone’s chest. That’s it! A waitress is also injured but Cheryl Jean Stoppelmoor, as she was known then, had made her debut.
If you could post a screen cap of Ms. Ladd/Stoppelmoor that would be great! The YouTube version very briefly just shows the chubby waitress after the gunfire in the diner erupts. Nobody else.
Here you go.

https://ibb.co/D9pt3s6

Fleet Admiral

#51 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Pahonu wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 1:44 pm

Here you go.

Thanks, Pahonu. But honestly I can't even tell it's her. In fact this looks like the YouTube quality that I watched - very blurry. I hope that wasn't the only shot of her. Otherwise I'm not sure why she received any credit at all.

MikeS
Admiral

#52 Post by MikeS »

Kathleen Lloyd, birth name Gackle, was also in this episode.
MikeS

Pahonu

#53 Post by Pahonu »

MikeS wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 4:41 pm Kathleen Lloyd, birth name Gackle, was also in this episode.
… and not a very nice character either!

Pahonu

#54 Post by Pahonu »

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 4:23 pm
Here you go.

Thanks, Pahonu. But honestly I can't even tell it's her. In fact this looks like the YouTube quality that I watched - very blurry. I hope that wasn't the only shot of her. Otherwise I'm not sure why she received any credit at all.
That’s the best I could get. It’s a momentary scene and the camera is panning so it looks blurry. I read once that most of her footage ended on the cutting room floor. She was probably credited because she had at least a line before the cuts happened and not just for the scream. You sure can hear her scream though, even before you see her. She was a teenager and it was her first appearance and credit, I believe.

Fleet Admiral

#55 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Pahonu wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 6:55 pm

Here you go.

That’s the best I could get. It’s a momentary scene and the camera is panning so it looks blurry. I read once that most of her footage ended on the cutting room floor. She was probably credited because she had at least a line before the cuts happened and not just for the scream. You sure can hear her scream though, even before you see her. She was a teenager and it was her first appearance and credit, I believe.
I remember seeing her (in a larger role than here, again as Cheryl Stoppelmoor) in the STREETS OF SAN FRAN episode "The Blockade". It's a pretty harrowing scene that starts the episode where Don Stroud (playing a serial rapist) and his buddy Charles Martin Smith cause her car to stall on the side of the road at night. As he cuts open the cloth roof of her car she lets out a frightening scream. Pretty tense scene.

Pahonu

#56 Post by Pahonu »

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 9:35 pm
Pahonu wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 6:55 pm
Here you go.

I remember seeing her (in a larger role than here, again as Cheryl Stoppelmoor) in the STREETS OF SAN FRAN episode "The Blockade". It's a pretty harrowing scene that starts the episode where Don Stroud (playing a serial rapist) and his buddy Charles Martin Smith cause her car to stall on the side of the road at night. As he cuts open the cloth roof of her car she lets out a frightening scream. Pretty tense scene.
I remember that episode well!

I just looked it up and the first Harry-O pilot aired about 10 months before that Streets episode. I also learned it wasn’t her debut. She was earlier listed as a voice actor named Cherie Moor in the cartoon series Josie and the Pussycats, was in a low budget film, and had two guest appearances in two different TV series that lasted just six episodes each. Her first credit in a well-known series was The Rookies, just a month before Harry-O.

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#57 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 4:17 am
Ivan I have seen all but the last two of season 2 as Decades didn't show them. I really liked Zerbe so I think when I came to start watching season one I wasn't as open to them
because I really missed "Lt. Trench". Especially because the last season 2 episode I viewed was "Mister Five and Dime", which I found an utterly delightful send up of
detective shows. I don't want to describe it lest I ruin it for others other than to say Zerbe's slow burns when he had to repeatedly go to the jail made me laugh out
loud. Harry and Trench are one of the best buddy teams ever, IMHO.
Anyway, I have now seen the first 4 of season 1, and now accepting they are Zerbe free, I say they are excellent. "Guardian at the Gates was superb, and Linda Evans, holy smokes!

By the way, Magnum Mania seems to have misplaced most all it's female members.
I never see them posting anymore.
I always assumed a certain number would be around because they both appreciate good TV and Selleck as a sex symbol.
Anyway I have been promoting Magnum Mania at the various sites I go to, never hurts to recruit new people.

Fleet Admiral

#58 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

I saw the second pilot - "Smile Jenny, You're Dead". Definitely an improvement over the first pilot. Orwell is more like the character in the series (much more likable) and the voice-overs are introduced here and just the story was more interesting. That psycho sure was creepy. The guy taking a swan dive off the high-rise at the end sure was satisfying (he wanted to show he could fly :lol:) but why he didn't drag Jenny with him (which was his original intent) is a mystery. Guess he was really confused at that point.

Anyway, good episode. I can see why it sold the series.

Pahonu

#59 Post by Pahonu »

Luther's nephew Dobie wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 4:43 am
ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 4:17 am
Ivan I have seen all but the last two of season 2 as Decades didn't show them. I really liked Zerbe so I think when I came to start watching season one I wasn't as open to them
because I really missed "Lt. Trench". Especially because the last season 2 episode I viewed was "Mister Five and Dime", which I found an utterly delightful send up of
detective shows. I don't want to describe it lest I ruin it for others other than to say Zerbe's slow burns when he had to repeatedly go to the jail made me laugh out
loud. Harry and Trench are one of the best buddy teams ever, IMHO.
Anyway, I have now seen the first 4 of season 1, and now accepting they are Zerbe free, I say they are excellent. "Guardian at the Gates was superb, and Linda Evans, holy smokes!

By the way, Magnum Mania seems to have misplaced most all it's female members.
I never see them posting anymore.
I always assumed a certain number would be around because they both appreciate good TV and Selleck as a sex symbol.
Anyway I have been promoting Magnum Mania at the various sites I go to, never hurts to recruit new people.
Hey Dobie,

Here’s a link to all the season two episodes so you can see the last two. I found it right around the time METV started playing the show. I was suddenly inundated with Harry-O options after years of struggling to find it myself or anyone who had seen it recently. :D

https://archive.org/details/harry-o-s-02

…and season one:

https://archive.org/details/harry-o-s-0 ... ade+On.mp4

Pahonu

#60 Post by Pahonu »

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 7:57 pm I saw the second pilot - "Smile Jenny, You're Dead". Definitely an improvement over the first pilot. Orwell is more like the character in the series (much more likable) and the voice-overs are introduced here and just the story was more interesting. That psycho sure was creepy. The guy taking a swan dive off the high-rise at the end sure was satisfying (he wanted to show he could fly :lol:) but why he didn't drag Jenny with him (which was his original intent) is a mystery. Guess he was really confused at that point.

Anyway, good episode. I can see why it sold the series.
Jenny’s husband from this second pilot reappears in the first season episode Balinger’s Choice and another in season two.