Johnny Staccato (1959)

1948-present

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

Johnny Staccato (1959)

#1 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

"Oh those Bop stars. They flat their fifths. We drink ours"

Johnny Staccato consisted of 27 episodes(24 minutes) that debuted on Sept.10,1959 on NBC. Lasting just the one season, it was later run on ABC during the summer of 1960.
Played by the legendary actor/director John Cassavetes, Staccato was a PI who also was a jazz pianist in Waldo's, a jazz joint on McDougal Street in NYC's Greenwich Village.
Waldo's owner was played by the series only other regular, Eduardo Ciannelli.
Waldo's house band was headed by the noted trumpeter Pete Candoli, who would also show up on the Peter Gunn series.
Candoli's band consisted of many West Coast jazz names. Johnny Williams - better known now as the immortal film composer John Williams - was a member.
As well as, at various times -

Red Norvo - Vibes
Red Mitchell - Bass
Shelly Mannes - Drums
Barney Kessel - Guitar
Mel Lewis - Drums
Bob Bain - Guitar

Staccato was a private dick right out of 1940's film noir, the jazz music setting the series tone along with the first class cinematography by such as Lionel Lindon.
It featured many of the star's NY acting buddies along with his lovely wife Gena Rowlands(9th episode "Fly, Baby Fly").
Through the use of many beautifully filmed location shots with the cast, the viewer would never have known the interiors were done in Hollywood.
Cassavetes directed 5 episodes, famous actor Paul Henreid did some as well along with Boris Sagel, father of Katy who played Peg Bundy on Married With Children.
The guest stars were an impressive bunch.The only ones to appear more than once were career cop portrayers Garry Walberg and Bert Freed as police sergeants. 
Then starlets Mary Tyler Moore and Elizabeth Montgomery are both stunning in sexy roles they knocked out of the park.
Other guests include Charles McGraw, Martin Landau, John Hoyt, Dean Stockwell, J. Pat O'Malley, Vladimir Sokoloff, Miriam Colon, Val Avery, Alexander Scourby,Lloyd Corrigan,
Elisha Cook and Susan Oliver.
Also Mike Kellin, Sylvia Lewis, Jan Harrison,Walter Burke, Jack Weston, Juano Hernandez, Norman Fell, Nita Talbot, Frank de Kova, Paul Stewart,Cloris Leachman, Warren Berlinger,
Ted de Corsia, Sig Ruman, Vito Scotti and Rayferd Barnes, Harry Guardino and Monica Lewis.
This is a terrific series and well worth the viewers time.
It now enjoys Cult Status, especially overseas.
Currently you can watch it on YouTube, though episode four "The Shop of the Four Winds" seems to be missing.
There was a soundtrack release that is very well regarded.
Last edited by Luther's nephew Dobie on Thu Mar 24, 2022 5:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

Re: Johnny Staccato (1959)

#2 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

Thanks to Little Garwood for repeatedly mentioning "Johnny Staccato" over the years.
He prompted me to sit down and watch the whole series on You Tube, excepting the
mysteriously missing 4th episode "The Shop of the Four Winds".
This series goes well with the much better known Peter Gunn,
which also produced a sound track record, as well as it's now
immortal title tune, covered by such as The Blues Brothers.

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#3 Post by Little Garwood »

I'd known about Johnny Staccato for years but only finally saw it 2004 when the TRIO channel aired it on its "Brilliant But Cancelled" series. Cassavetes is great as the title character, a struggling jazz pianist-turned private detective. The "chicks" were cute, the Crime Jazz musical underscore was fantastic as was the theme by Elmer Bernstein. The series earned the appellation "hardboiled"; I also loved the shots of 1959 New York City.

While some aspects of the show are entertainingly dated (Beatniks, 1959-era slang, etc), I'm impressed at how the best episodes have a timelessness to them, particularly the ones directed by Cassavetes himself. I get the impression that he only agreed to star in Staccato so he could finance his independent films. Speaking of which, film school students should watch these to see how B&W photography is done. As for the acting, Cassavetes is always brilliant; he occasionally breaks into "Victor Franko" mode (his The Dirty Dozen character) on occasion!

The character "Shad" (played by Frank London), appeared in a handful of episodes. Shad is a weaselly "Angel Martin"-type character, only Shad lacked even a single redeeming quality!

This show wasn't going to last more than one year, as it's unlike almost anything on TV at the time, if not in concept, then in execution. Though there were other "Swinging Private Eye" shows on before and during Staccato's time: 77 Sunset Strip and its various spin offs; plus Richard Diamond; Peter Gunn; and Mike Hammer, all of which were contemporaries of Johnny Staccato. However, those shows lacked the punch and power of that Johnny Staccato.

Much is mentioned about the Korean War and its effects on veterans. Staccato is a Korean War vet, as well. I don't think many TV shows of the time took on issues like pacifism, or decried the anti-communist witch hunts, either. There's even a creepy episode where a ventriloquist is seemingly "controlled" by his puppet which predates the brilliant Twilight Zone episode The Dummy (starring Cliff Robertson) by over two years.

Staccato is everything I hoped Peter Gunn would be. Staccato is a much better show and if it weren't for Mancini's immortal theme on Peter Gunn, it's unlikely that anyone would remember it.

There is a Magnum, P.I. connection: Glenn Cannon appears ever so briefly in A Nice Little Town, the most caustic and cynical episode in all Staccato.
"Popularity is the pocket change of history."

~Tom Selleck

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#4 Post by Little Garwood »

Luther's nephew Dobie wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 4:37 am "Oh those Bop stars. They flat their fifths. We drink ours"
Isn’t that Ruby Braff’s reactionary comment regarding Bop?

Whatever the case, “Be-Bop Spoken Here”! (Longtime jazz fan here)

youtu.be/9p-MdZB8nkA

~Tom Selleck

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#5 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

Little Garwood wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 12:29 am I'd known about Johnny Staccato for years but only finally saw it 2004 when the TRIO channel aired it on its "Brilliant But Cancelled" series. Cassavetes is great as the title character, a struggling jazz pianist-turned private detective. The "chicks" were cute, the Crime Jazz musical underscore was fantastic as was the theme by Elmer Bernstein. The series earned the appellation "hardboiled"; I also loved the shots of 1959 New York City.

While some aspects of the show are entertainingly dated (Beatniks, 1959-era slang, etc), I'm impressed at how the best episodes have a timelessness to them, particularly the ones directed by Cassavetes himself. I get the impression that he only agreed to star in Staccato so he could finance his independent films. Speaking of which, film school students should watch these to see how B&W photography is done. As for the acting, Cassavetes is always brilliant; he occasionally breaks into "Victor Franko" mode (his The Dirty Dozen character) on occasion!

The character "Shad" (played by Frank London), appeared in a handful of episodes. Shad is a weaselly "Angel Martin"-type character, only Shad lacked even a single redeeming quality!
This show wasn't going to last more than one year, as it's unlike almost anything on TV at the time, if not in concept, then in execution. Though there were other "Swinging Private Eye" shows on before and during Staccato's time: 77 Sunset Strip and its various spin offs; plus Richard Diamond; Peter Gunn; and Mike Hammer, all of which were contemporaries of Johnny Staccato. However, those shows lacked the punch and power of that Johnny Staccato.

Much is mentioned about the Korean War and its effects on veterans. Staccato is a Korean War vet, as well. I don't think many TV shows of the time took on issues like pacifism, or decried the anti-communist witch hunts, either. There's even a creepy episode where a ventriloquist is seemingly "controlled" by his puppet which predates the brilliant Twilight Zone episode The Dummy (starring Cliff Robertson) by over two years.
Staccato is everything I hoped Peter Gunn would be. Staccato is a much better show and if it weren't for Mancini's immortal theme on Peter Gunn, it's unlikely that anyone would remember it.
There is a Magnum, P.I. connection: Glenn Cannon appears ever so briefly in A Nice Little Town, the most caustic and cynical episode in all Staccato.
Garwood,
Before I saw Johnny Staccato I would have taken umbrage but now I have to agree that Staccato is better than Peter Gunn.
But Gunn did sport the uber sultry Lola Albright as Peter's singer girlfriend Edie.
Though it was 1958 it was made clear the two were enjoying a healthy sex life, Peter telling her if he didn't make it back to Mother's Nightclub by 3 AM he'd leave his key under the mat at home.
As for Mother - 6 foot 2 Hope Emerson who specialized in playing "manly" women - her's was a bit of a breakthrough role in TV history.
The episode Skin Deep has Edie waiting for Gunn in the nearly deserted nightclub in the wee hours -

Edie is at the bar, sadly reading her fortune with a Tarot card deck.
Peter Gunn enters and asks, "problem?"
Edie: "According to this I should be with Lawrence Welk! Want me to do yours?"
Edie flips over a card for Pete, sighs "I could kill myself" and reads Pete's fortune,
"you will meet a beautiful woman, blonde, very rich."
Perking up at that, Mother enthusiastically interjects, "I should have a deck like that!"

In Season 2, episode 12, "The Briefcase", 
Gunn walks into Mothers to meet his new client, the very sexy Barbara Stuart. Mother directs him to the lanai where Stuart awaits.
Gunn: "Did she give you a name?"
Mother: "Cooper"
Arching her eyebrows, disappointed, she laments, "MISSUS Cooper."
Gunn: "Well that's the way it goes, Mother."
Mother:  "Yeah it sure does, don't it."

Probably the first time there was a acknowledged lesbian on TV and no one got it, though the character of Mother as written is obviously one.
Herschel Bernardi played Lieutenant Jacoby, for which he was Emmy nominated. Jacoby was the best thing on the show.

I would point out that some of the behind the scenes talent that migrated to Staccato in 1959 were first together on Peter Gunn in 1958.
Staccato no doubt benefited from what they learned or honed on the Gunn set in making cool private eye noir for TV, on tighter budgets.
Philip H. Lathrop the noted movie cinematographer and director Sagal for example.
It shows on screen as JS is indeed superior.
Last edited by Luther's nephew Dobie on Mon Mar 13, 2023 3:37 am, edited 2 times in total.

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#6 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

Little Garwood wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 4:48 pm
Luther's nephew Dobie wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 4:37 am "Oh those Bop stars. They flat their fifths. We drink ours"
Isn’t that Ruby Braff’s reactionary comment regarding Bop?

Whatever the case, “Be-Bop Spoken Here”! (Longtime jazz fan here)

youtu.be/9p-MdZB8nkA
Terrific song Garwood, thank you!
The quote is from "The Man in the Pit", episode 17, 11:20 mark.
It's said by "Shank Millikan" (Billy M. Greene).
Either the writers swiped it outright or it's a wink and a nod to knowledgeable jazz fans like yourself, a in joke.
I'm betting in joke.
By the way, is there some problem with episode 4 "The Shop of the Four Winds"? It isn't anywhere online, perhaps a
musical copyright issue? Is it lost? Thanks.

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#7 Post by Little Garwood »

“Shop of the Four Winds” is a superb episode and its exclusion online is a mystery. The great, underrated Don Gordon—whom I just saw in an episode of Cannon I’ve yet to review—plays a real sleazeball in it.

“Shop of the Four Winds” has a haunting ending, showing that Staccato doesn’t walk away unscathed—physically or emotionally—from his cases. Staccato “taking a hit” is a recurring motif in the show. In fact, Johnny’s reasoning for walking away from his job for having had his body and mind crushed by the dangers of his detective work ends up being his final lines of dialogue in the series; not many TV series end their run on such an emotional low note.

~Tom Selleck

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#8 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

Little Garwood wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 2:22 pm “Shop of the Four Winds” is a superb episode and its exclusion online is a mystery. The great, underrated Don Gordon—whom I just saw in an episode of Cannon I’ve yet to review—plays a real sleazeball in it.

“Shop of the Four Winds” has a haunting ending, showing that Staccato doesn’t walk away unscathed—physically or emotionally—from his cases. Staccato “taking a hit” is a recurring motif in the show. In fact, Johnny’s reasoning for walking away from his job for having had his body and mind crushed by the dangers of his detective work ends up being his final lines of dialogue in the series; not many TV series end their run on such an emotional low note.
Nice insight, Garwood, you are da man when it comes to this series. I have only watched it once through.
Now I can sit back and parse episodes, better appreciate what is going on.
The Elisha Cook episode "Solomon" was especially strong. Darn good writing, this is not some plot we have seen 100 times.
For those only familiar with Cook's "Ice Pick" role, this will show why he was one of the elite character actors in Hollywood
for 50 years. I love all the Magnum acting regulars, but the only one in Cook's class is John Hillerman.
Garwood, thanks for pointing out that "Shad" was a semi-regular. I had forgotten about him, he was a crud and a
low life and not in a fun way and I kept thinking a Huntz Hall would have done more with the part.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"To be ignorant of what occurred before you were born is to remain always a child"...Cicero

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#9 Post by Little Garwood »

John Cassavetes, singular talent that he was, probably only used Staccato to refine his directorial chops. He had bigger aspirations than a mere detecrive series, as brilliant as it was. I joke with my wife about what Staccato would have become had it gone on throughout the ‘60s and become a sensation like the garbage our collective pop culture memory rhapsodizes over to this day. In an alternate universe, rapidly aging Baby Boomers would reference Staccato tropes instead of the intellect-murdering Gilligan’s Island nonsense they drone on about into their 70s; I tell ya, it’s as tragic as Altamount…if that’s even remembered.

Too bad Cassavetes pals Peter Falk and Ben Gazzara never put in Staccato guest appearances.

~Tom Selleck

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#10 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

Little Garwood wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 8:45 pm John Cassavetes, singular talent that he was, probably only used Staccato to refine his directorial chops. He had bigger aspirations than a mere detective series, as brilliant as it was. I joke with my wife about what Staccato would have become had it gone on throughout the ‘60s and become a sensation like the garbage our collective pop culture memory rhapsodizes over to this day. In an alternate universe, rapidly aging Baby Boomers would reference Staccato tropes instead of the intellect-murdering Gilligan’s Island nonsense they drone on about into their 70s; I tell ya, it’s as tragic as Altamount…if that’s even remembered.
Too bad Cassavetes pals Peter Falk and Ben Gazzara never put in Staccato guest appearances.
Hi Garwood,
Though the 3 amigos of Cassavetes, Falk and Gazzara didn't appear in Johnny Staccato they did appear in the film Husbands(1970).
It has a terrific series of scenes as they bar hop/pub crawl thru Manhattan that for me mirrors exactly how men behave on a
drinking run. It could have been me and my friends in 1980's Manhattan. The petty betrayals of each other when it comes to things
such as the women they meet was to me hilariously spot on. Director Cassavetes has a eye for such nuance.

Unfortunately when it came time to promote the film the three stars showed up direct from NYC watering holes to the
set of The Dick Cavett Show. They were hammered.
"“Are you guys all smashed?” the host asked.
They were and for the balance of the show proved it.
It may be big yucks when a mug who doesn't know how to pace his drinking gets drunk with his pals but to everyone else they seem jackasses.
Cavett later recalled that -
"I was very fond of John, I knew him, and Ben I got to know more later. But anytime any of them saw me, they were cowed and sheepish afterwards for years."  

This episode of September 18, 1970 has achieved legendary status for bad behavior by guests and can be seen on YouTube.

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#11 Post by Little Garwood »

From what I’ve read, Peter Falk was yet another “difficult” Hollywood personality. A friend of mine worked as an occupational therapist and Falk was a patient. My friend said “Columbo” was as nice as could be. My buddy asked if he could send me an autographed photo and gave him my address. Falk made good on his promise and did indeed send me that autographed photo.

~Tom Selleck

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#12 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

Little Garwood wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 4:52 pm From what I’ve read, Peter Falk was yet another “difficult” Hollywood personality. A friend of mine worked as an occupational therapist and Falk was a patient. My friend said “Columbo” was as nice as could be. My buddy asked if he could send me an autographed photo and gave him my address. Falk made good on his promise and did indeed send me that autographed photo.
Garwood I roll my eyes whenever some Hollywood type is labeled "difficult". Sheldon Leonard said that of Robert Culp, because Culp demanded/required those around him
make the same effort to better the show that he did.
You cited what a good guy the "difficult" Peter Falk was, sending the autograph to you.
When he filmed what was his last good flick here in the town of Garwood, he was gracious with everyone. Between scenes in the Garwood Rest bar he shot pool with the extras(all locals),
drank beer and talked trash about sports teams instead of retreating to his trailer.

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#13 Post by Little Garwood »

In my household, anyone appearing in an episode of Johnny Stqccato is an absolute legend. The same goes for anyone in other “one-season wonders” like The Persuaders! and Kolchak: The Night Stalker. Anything else those actors do, even if those roles are their career-defining characters, they will pale in comparison to their appearances in those above-mentioned series.

~Tom Selleck

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#14 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

Little Garwood wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 6:41 pm In my household, anyone appearing in an episode of Johnny Stqccato is an absolute legend. The same goes for anyone in other “one-season wonders” like The Persuaders! and Kolchak: The Night Stalker. Anything else those actors do, even if those roles are their career-defining characters, they will pale in comparison to their appearances in those above-mentioned series.

I like the way you think. I remember when The Persuaders and Kolchak first aired I kept trying to get my friends to watch but I was just a voice in the wilderness.
But the fact that they have achieved cult status and stations like MeTV runs Kolchak over and over despite having only one years worth of episodes is vindication.
I don't recall where but somewhere on the MM boards someone said - you? - that The Persuaders was still very popular in Germany.
Do you have any info regarding the supposed The Persuaders de facto pilot? It was one of the very last "The Saint" episodes titled "The Ex-King of Diamonds".
Stuart Damon played a Texas oil baron working with the Saint in a Monte Carlo casino.

There was an obvious Maverick in joke when Moore, who played Beau Maverick, says "My pappy always told me..." which was a running gag on Maverick.

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#15 Post by Little Garwood »

John Cassavettes was immensely talented. I admire the fact that he took roles (The Dirty Dozen, Rosemary's Baby) only so he could use the money to finance his "difficult" independent films. The man was a genius and a true artist, though I don't always love the work he produced. I respect that he stayed true to his artistic "vision" (an oft-used term by empty suits with far less talent than Cassevettes).

~Tom Selleck