Cannon (1971-76)

1948-present

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Chris109
Fleet Admiral

Re: Cannon (1971-76)

#76 Post by Chris109 »

I downloaded, er, came across the first season of Cannon. Difficult to watch cause the quality is mainly for watching on a 19" tube tv
just like in the oldn' days.

๐™„'๐™ข ๐™œ๐™ž๐™ซ๐™ž๐™ฃ๐™œ ๐™ฎ๐™ค๐™ช ๐™ค๐™ฃ๐™š ๐™ข๐™ค๐™ง๐™š ๐™˜๐™๐™–๐™ฃ๐™˜๐™š ๐™ฉ๐™ค ๐™™๐™ค ๐™– ๐™ง๐™š๐™ข๐™–๐™จ๐™ฉ๐™š๐™ง.

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#77 Post by Little Garwood »

Chris109 wrote: โ†‘Thu Sep 15, 2022 9:06 pm I downloaded, er, came across the first season of Cannon. Difficult to watch cause the quality is mainly for watching on a 19" tube tv
The Cannon DVD transfers look to be the same wonderfully-washed-out syndicated prints from decades ago, so they look exactly as I remember them looking, which adds to the (positive) nostalgia factor.

The early-to-mid-1970s are a different country; they do things grittier there.

Besides, I get suspicious when the '70s look too clean (apologies to Iron Eyes Cody).
"Popularity is the pocket change of history."

~Tom Selleck

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#78 Post by Little Garwood »

I'm halfway through season 2 and so far my favorite episode is The Rip-Off. George Maharis has never been better as a criminal who has nearly everything in Cannon's apartment stolen. The stellar cast includes Stephanie Powers, Max Gail, Kathleen Freeman, and Robert Mandan (who plays a good guy for a change).

~Tom Selleck

Chris109
Fleet Admiral

#79 Post by Chris109 »

Little Garwood wrote: โ†‘Fri Oct 14, 2022 7:05 pm
Chris109 wrote: โ†‘Thu Sep 15, 2022 9:06 pm I downloaded, er, came across the first season of Cannon. Difficult to watch cause the quality is mainly for watching on a 19" tube tv
The Cannon DVD transfers look to be the same wonderfully-washed-out syndicated prints from decades ago, so they look exactly as I remember them looking, which adds to the (positive) nostalgia factor.

The early-to-mid-1970s are a different country; they do things grittier there.

Besides, I get suspicious when the '70s look too clean (apologies to Iron Eyes Cody).
480i on a big screen isn't nostalgic to me. Talk about artifacts...

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#80 Post by Little Garwood »

Seeing as you illegally downloaded season one and are still Boomer whining, I'd say you got what you "paid for." :D

God, I hate this place. 'bye!

~Tom Selleck

Chris109
Fleet Admiral

#81 Post by Chris109 »

Little Garwood wrote: โ†‘Fri Oct 14, 2022 8:33 pm

Seeing as you illegally downloaded season one and are still Boomer whining, I'd say you got what you "paid for." :D

God, I hate this place. 'bye!
Not an Esaison.

Just someone with a good memory of sitting with my dad watching Cannon.

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#82 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

Little Garwood wrote: โ†‘Fri Oct 14, 2022 7:40 pm I'm halfway through season 2 and so far my favorite episode is The Rip-Off. George Maharis has never been better as a criminal who has nearly everything in Cannon's apartment stolen. The stellar cast includes Stephanie Powers, Max Gail, Kathleen Freeman, and Robert Mandan (who plays a good guy for a change).
That was a most excellent episode, and George looked like he was enjoying himself. One of the nicest stars ever, if you write him he will send you his autographed photo.
Include your phone number and he might call you up. I am in a Route 66 group, we send him birthday cards, he always sends back thank you notes, hand written.
plus a photo if you ask but I stopped after getting two. Anyway he has called a couple of the guys up in the past.
I think I will send an early Christmas card, it would be fun to get one back.
But I digress.

Garwood wrote -

"The early-to-mid-1970s are a different country; they do things grittier there."

I like that line, good on you Garwood.

Chris109
Fleet Admiral

#83 Post by Chris109 »

Luther's nephew Dobie wrote: โ†‘Sat Oct 15, 2022 4:52 am
Little Garwood wrote: โ†‘Fri Oct 14, 2022 7:40 pm I'm halfway through season 2 and so far my favorite episode is The Rip-Off. George Maharis has never been better as a criminal who has nearly everything in Cannon's apartment stolen. The stellar cast includes Stephanie Powers, Max Gail, Kathleen Freeman, and Robert Mandan (who plays a good guy for a change).
That was a most excellent episode, and George looked like he was enjoying himself. One of the nicest stars ever, if you write him he will send you his autographed photo.
Include your phone number and he might call you up. I am in a Route 66 group, we send him birthday cards, he always sends back thank you notes, hand written.
plus a photo if you ask but I stopped after getting two. Anyway he has called a couple of the guys up in the past.
But I digress.

Garwood wrote -

"The early-to-mid-1970s are a different country; they do things grittier there."

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#84 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

Chris109 wrote: โ†‘Mon Oct 17, 2022 4:56 pm
But I digress.

Garwood wrote -

A Lovejoy fan! You have good taste Chris. A & E ran "Lovejoy" in the late 1980's, I became a fan and also read every book in the series about a roguish English antiques dealer and
ladies man, set in beautiful East Anglia.
Written by a actual antiques dealer and doctor, the books give you the low down on the antiques dodge.
The corruption in the Art world is staggering. For instance the "Antiques Roadshow" series in Britain and here was based on a age old scam.
A team of art dealers announce they will arrive in a rural/small town area and appraise all your antiques for free, though there is an entry fee.
They will give honest appraisals for 99% of the items.
But there will be a certain amount of select high value items, say Field Marshal Montgomery's uniform, the expert tells the owner/mark it's worth 3,000 pounds.
That's a lot of money in small town/rural Britain.
The expert's confederate, pretending to be an onlooker, jumps in and says he is a big Monty fan and offers 6,000 pounds on the spot, cash, twice what it's worth and no need to pay taxes.
The mark thinks it's his lucky day and sells, keeping his mouth shut lest Inland Revenue hears about it.
Meanwhile the dealer now has a item worth 40 or 50,000 pounds, selling it on later.
The dealers might reap several items of lesser or greater amount like that and at the end of the day they share the booty.
It's a beaut scam, instead of going door to door in a town asking to look at heirlooms and told to F off, they have the marks do all the work, bringing the goodies to THEM,
then charging an entry fee to cover the overhead of a rental space so it costs them nothing and bob's your uncle.

Chris109
Fleet Admiral

#85 Post by Chris109 »

Luther's nephew Dobie wrote: โ†‘Tue Oct 18, 2022 12:31 am
Chris109 wrote: โ†‘Mon Oct 17, 2022 4:56 pm
But I digress.

Garwood wrote -

A Lovejoy fan! You have good taste Chris. A & E ran "Lovejoy" in the late 1980's, I became a fan and also read every book in the series about a roguish English antiques dealer and
ladies man, set in beautiful East Anglia.
Written by a actual antiques dealer and doctor, the books give you the low down on the antiques dodge.
The corruption in the Art world is staggering. For instance the "Antiques Roadshow" series in Britain and here was based on a age old scam.
A team of art dealers announce they will arrive in a rural/small town area and appraise all your antiques for free, though there is an entry fee.
They will give honest appraisals for 99% of the items.
But there will be a certain amount of select high value items, say Field Marshal Montgomery's uniform, the expert tells the owner/mark it's worth 3,000 pounds.
That's a lot of money in small town/rural Britain.
The expert's confederate, pretending to be an onlooker, jumps in and says he is a big Monty fan and offers 6,000 pounds on the spot, cash, twice what it's worth and no need to pay taxes.
The mark thinks it's his lucky day and sells, keeping his mouth shut lest Inland Revenue hears about it.
Meanwhile the dealer now has a item worth 40 or 50,000 pounds, selling it on later.
The dealers might reap several items of lesser or greater amount like that and at the end of the day they share the booty.
It's a beaut scam, instead of going door to door in a town asking to look at heirlooms and told to F off, they have the marks do all the work, bringing the goodies to THEM,
then charging an entry fee to cover the overhead of a rental space so it costs them nothing and bob's your uncle.
My dad used to watch it whenever it was on. He was into antiques and was quite good at it. I remember he took me to a show in some arena about 2 hours away. We were there about 25 minutes. I asked why we were leaving so soon. He said, "It's all fancy junk. As in j-u-n-q-u-e."

In the picture, I should have replaced 'Lovejoy' with "Clutterbuck' and kept with the Magnum theme. 8)